This Trip Broke The Bank. Update 11/26 Day 11: Why can't I get in the MK?

More Day 8: Spending the rest of the day indoors as much as possible.

After waiting in the scorching heat for way too long and still no Poly buses in sight, we just couldn't stand it any longer. When a bus pulled up near our stop, we got on. It was heavenly cool on that bus and we were the only ones on it. We sat back, let our body temperatures go back to a normal 98.6 and enjoyed the ride.

Before too long, our escape from AK was complete and we had to get off the bus when it stopped at the Grand Floridian. This was perfect- they way we saw it, we could check out the hotel, then hop a monorail back to the Poly. All with very little outside time!

I'd never been to the GF before, so it was fun to stroll around the lobby and look around. We ended up outside (why!?) to check out the pool area. We had done the same thing at the Contemporary- I think we were both disappointed in the Poly's main pool that we were curious to see how the other monorail resorts measured up.
The GF pool area was awesome! Their feature pool looked fun and wasn't nearly as loud or crowded as the volcano pool. But then we turned a corner and found a huge, beautiful pool with a hot tub! I really wished we could jump right in, but no pool hopping allowed, folks!
But what is allowed is pool bar hopping. So we took a seat at the bar (the GF has a couple pool bars!) and ordered a couple of drinks.

IMG_1590.jpg

I don't remember what I got, but it had a strawberry on it. Even though we were outside, we were still comfortable and relaxed. After we finished our drinks, we headed up to wait for a monorail. It took a while for one to show up, and when it did, we had a very slow ride to the Poly. There were a couple of times where the train would just chug along very slowly. But we did eventually make it back and headed to our room for a little nap.
It was when we got back to our room that we made a startling discovery that had my heart racing for a bit...

The room at the Poly had a couple of wardrobe type closets, one of which contained the safe, and an iron that hung on the wall. This is where I had been keeping my DSLR since I wasn't doing a great job of carrying it around the parks.
When we got back to the room, Ben went to the safe and then he started swearing. He grabbed my camera bag and I had no idea what was going on. The iron was in a holder that should have been screwed into the wall. Apparently, it wasn't attached well and had fallen over during the day. And the kind soul who had last used the iron put it away nice and full of water. Water that had now leaked all over the safe and dripped on the floor of the closet. Where my camera bag was. :scared1: And that was why Ben grabbed my camera. ACK! I ran over and checked it out, luckily the water had not got to it! That was a close call.

After all that, I still managed to take a sort nap and woke up around 4PM to get ready for dinner. We were headed to DTD to eat at Raglan Road, and I was really looking forward to it!

At the bus stop, I noticed that they had buses running to MK and Epcot. It seemed that the monorail must have continued to run funky and was now closed. But our bus to DTD came along quickly. The ride over wasn't so quick, and we were a little late for our 6PM ADR.
But we checked into a mostly empty restaurant, so it didn't much matter!

We both really enjoyed this meal... our entrees came out practically before we had finished ordering them- service was very quick! Ben got the beef curry and I had the shepherd's pie. My food was good, but Ben's was amazing!!!
Desert was extra wonderful... Ben ordered the Bread & Butter Pudding and I got the Dunderry Kiss (I think that's what it was...) Once again, they were both very good, but Ben's was just totally delicious! Not something I thought I'd like, but I was wrong!

We stayed and had a drink at the bar for a bit and watched the Irish stepdancer.
IMG_1591.jpg

After dinner, we were completely stuffed. We decided to walk it off in the saddest way possible- through the remains of Pleasure Island. I wanted to take some pictures, since I was carrying the DSLR for the first time (I guess our near death experience with it inspired me to use it!)
I thought it was really strange how all the clubs are closed, but the bars outside of them are open. It was very sad to see the shuttered Adventurer's Club. I almost didn't want to take this picture, but I just had to:

IMG_2365.jpg

No Kungaloosh for me...

We turned around and headed all the way back across to the Marketplace. We had a boat to catch to meet a new friend!

IMG_2370.jpg

IMG_2366.jpg

I love the boat ride to Port Orleans, and this was an especially pretty evening!

IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

IMG_2375.jpg

IMG_2377.jpg

I love POFQ!
IMG_2382.jpg

We didn't stop here long, we were headed a little further downriver...

IMG_2386.jpg

IMG_2387.jpg

I was excited for Ben to see POR because this is where that fall 2011 trip is booked for... and I needed him to be excited about something!

The resort did its part... it was beautiful at night!

Awesome! Great pics - and I hope Ben jumps back on board with some Disney Excitement! :)

This is where we were headed:

IMG_2388.jpg

Why didn't anyone tell me that the bathrooms at the POR food court had themed toilets?

IMG_2390.jpg

They are, and it is so cool! Probably the first time that I laughed when I saw a toilet. Maybe...

We settled in at a table in the mostly empty River Roost to wait for Yee-Haw Bob. Neither of knew too much of what to expect, but I was looking forward to the show.

We ordered drinks, a Sam Octoberfest for Ben and a Dogfish Head 60 minute for me. The waitress had no clue what I was asking for, but when I pointed to it in the drink menu, she got it. Apparently, no one ever orders these here. It's one of my favorite beers, so I think more people should try it!
Not sure why, but we chose this point to do a beer photo shoot...

IMG_2398.jpg

IMG_2399.jpg

We thoroughly enjoyed the show, and became quite the participants. Bob had no idea what he was getting with Ben in the audience... talk about a good sport! Luckily, he did not have to wear any drag or sing any Madonna!

IMG_2404.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

IMG_2407.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

IMG_1614.jpg

Yee-Haw Bob puts on a great show, and I recommend it to anyone! So much fun! And it's free... except for the drinks. Those get pricey...

His show runs till 12, but at around 11 I suddenly remembered we were in Disney World and had no car. Did we still have a way to get home?

As we headed out to the bus stop and Ben stopped at bell services to ask about transportation. They informed him that the parks were closed and we needed a cab. Ummm.... uh oh. But then I asked him to ask about DTD- that is still open and there should be a bus to there. They insisted that we while we could get to DTD, we would not get to the Poly from there. They called us a cab, but while we waited I finally shook the fog from me head and told Ben to confirm that there was a bus to DTD still. Then we had them cancel the cab. I don't know why I was letting these CMs talk me into believing them, but I am very glad that I came to my senses!
Ben was pretty pissed about this wrong information that we were being given, but we both felt pretty good once we were at the bus stop.

IMG_2409.jpg

And even better on the bus!

IMG_1619.jpg

For all the confusion, our trip back didn't take all that long and we were in bed by 12.

It had been a looooooooong day, but a pretty darned good one!

I would have wanted to SLAP that waiter! What a "word that is not DisAppropriate!!" Couples waiting a little while to go on their honeymoon after the wedding isn't exactly a new thing! Plenty of our friends needed a couple of months to save up after their wedding in order to even afford a trip! I know you guys took a trip after your wedding, but STILL! Disney was still your honeymoon. That's honestly just crappy customer service. I always wonder why people like that are waiters!
Mmm, all this drink talk is making me want to crack open the Sam Adams Octoberfest that's in our fridge! That's weird that the CM kinda forced the ginger drink on you after you clearly stated what you wanted!

Sorry, but it wasn't REALLY a honeymoon. They had already had a honeymoon following their wedding. This was a trip, a wonderfully anticipated vacation by a newly married couple - hopefully the first of MANY great and memorable trips together. But not a honeymoon. Still, any server worth his or her salt should shut it and mind their own business, just like I'm going to do now!

Sorry, but it wasn't REALLY a honeymoon. They had already had a honeymoon following their wedding. This was a trip, a wonderfully anticipated vacation by a newly married couple - hopefully the first of MANY great and memorable trips together. But not a honeymoon. Still, any server worth his or her salt should shut it and mind their own business, just like I'm going to do now!

honeymoon ( ) n. A holiday or trip taken by a newly married couple.

Sounds like they were on their honeymoon to me-- they were newly married. :confused3

Uhhhh, ANYWAY!
Glad you guys ended having a great afternoon/night! Mmmm, I love anything with curry, so I bet I would have loved Ben's dish,too! I'm glad POR cheered him up-- we can't wait to stay there again next August! You guys will definitely love it, too! We never got to see YeeHaw Bob, but glad you guys got into it!

Thanks for reading!
At least every trip that happens from here on out will REALLY not be mistaken for a honeymoon, so the confusion shouldn't happen again! :thumbsup2

Glad you guys ended having a great afternoon/night! Mmmm, I love anything with curry, so I bet I would have loved Ben's dish,too! I'm glad POR cheered him up-- we can't wait to stay there again next August! You guys will definitely love it, too! We never got to see YeeHaw Bob, but glad you guys got into it!

It was some of the best curry, I've had.

I am looking forward to staying there- it is a gorgeous resort with so much atmosphere!

i had to "LOL" when you were takling about your "kinda fight"... heheh us women do that al the time!! lol

thats something i would say... heheh

i cant wait to read about the rest of your HONEYMOON! ;)

oh so what was bens impression of POR???

There's just something about the heat that brings out the "worst" in people, isn't there? :laughing: I think we all experience that, whether we like to admit it or not. ;)

Your POR pictures are getting me excited for our stay there! :thumbsup2

i had to "LOL" when you were takling about your "kinda fight"... heheh us women do that al the time!! lol

thats something i would say... heheh

i cant wait to read about the rest of your HONEYMOON! ;)

oh so what was bens impression of POR???

I think Ben liked POR... but then his impression was negatively impacted by the very wrong info we were given about transportation. Hopefully he can look past that, since it worked out ok in the end!

There's just something about the heat that brings out the "worst" in people, isn't there? :laughing: I think we all experience that, whether we like to admit it or not. ;)

Your POR pictures are getting me excited for our stay there! :thumbsup2

Seriously- it can be hard to stay nice when you're dripping sweat!

POR is such a pretty place!! And it has the best food court toilets! :rotfl:

Just catching up!

I have to say I cringed a bit reading about the water and your camera. :scared1: Close call!!!

Loving your TR. Your pictures are awesome. I wish I could learn how to use my DLSR. :guilty:

Just catching up!

I have to say I cringed a bit reading about the water and your camera. :scared1: Close call!!!

Loving your TR. Your pictures are awesome. I wish I could learn how to use my DLSR. :guilty:

We were very lucky that the camera escaped being drowned!

I wish I had used my DSLR more on this trip, but I just didn't want to carry it around the parks. I look forward to getting more pictures with it on our next trip!

I hope folks are still reading!

I'll have another update, soon. I spent the weekend in Boston for a friend's bachelorette. It was a lot of fun, but I am exhausted! Luckily, I have tomorrow off to catch up on sleep and DISing!

Subbing... Just got all caught up and can I just say I felt the same way and had similar issues with the Poly? I will never stay there again. I have stayed at Pop twice and liked it very much. Next year we will be staying at CBR, but we walked through POFQ and I am thinking about changing over. What did you think of the other side of the property?

Subbing... Just got all caught up and can I just say I felt the same way and had similar issues with the Poly? I will never stay there again. I have stayed at Pop twice and liked it very much. Next year we will be staying at CBR, but we walked through POFQ and I am thinking about changing over. What did you think of the other side of the property?

Hi and welcome! :yay:

Sorry that you had issues with the Poly, too! It is such a shame that our experiences weren't great- I have ready plenty of reports where people have a great stay there. I guess it just wasn't meant for us!

I love POFQ! I stayed there a long time ago with my parents, and more recently with some friends a few years ago. It is gorgeous and nice and compact- nothing is too far of a walk. Not to mention, it has the lovely boat to DTD and nearby POR.
Those are the only moderates I've been to, so I can't compare them to CBR, but if you are thinking of switching I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Day 9:More hot theme park action.

Being at the tail end of our trip, we decided to head back to our favorite parks for a while this morning before returning to the Poly in time for our DVC tour pick up. That's right, we were still going on the tour despite Ben's admission that he did not want to come back to WDW next year. The reason? We were going to get $100 in gift cards and we had a pretty big tab charged to our room at this point... we needed all the help we could get!

But let's start at the beginning... We were up at 7:30AM and since I was finally bringing my DSLR along, I tried to get a few pictures of the Poly. Unfortunately, they didn't come out all that great (thanks in part to the humidity and in part to my lack of skills).

IMG_2415.jpg

The only time we saw the volcano pool like this. Maybe we should've gone swimming in the early morning!

IMG_2414.jpg

IMG_2418.jpg

I love this walkway! It was right outside Tahiti and took us right to the TTC. It really was very cool to be so close to MK & Epcot transportation!

We decided not to get breakfast until we got to the MK... I was hoping for a cinnamon roll from the bakery!

So we strolled over to the TTC and were quickly off.
IMG_2419.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

We made it for rope drop, again.
IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2426.jpg

Once in the park, Main Street felt pretty crowded.
IMG_2428.jpg

But we headed for Tomorrowland. We both love Space Mountain, so that's where we went.

IMG_2451.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

Ben was very proud of this on ride photo, which we once again did not buy.

We took a spin on Buzz before heading over to grab some breakfast.

IMG_1620.jpg

As we were walking back towards Main Street, I snapped some pictures of the castle.
IMG_2435.jpg

And we caught this!
IMG_2437.jpg

It was such a sweet moment! The woman seemed very surprised by the proposal.

We made it to the bakery and picked out our food pretty quickly. I got my enormous cinnamon bun and Ben got yet another bagel (how could he resist all those other more delicious items?). When Ben handed the cashier his card to use snack credits, he joked with me that this guy was trying to buy me breakfast and was I ok with that? He was pretty funny, and it was nice to see a CM who seemed happy to be there!

Trying to find a table proved a lot less amusing. I started to have one of my mini-meltdowns and started to head for the door, figuring we'd just have to eat outside in the sweltering heat. Just then, a group of girls started to get up from their table and took pity on me and called me over to take the spot. Thanks nice girls! :thumbsup2

After a tasty, unhealthy breakfast, it was time to head back out into the blazing sun.

IMG_2439.jpg

We hadn't spent much time in Adventureland, so that is where we headed.

IMG_2440.jpg

I love the Jungle Cruise, and since there was no wait we headed aboard. We just missed getting on a boat, so we had to wait at the very front of the line for the next one. They didn't seem to be running many boats this early, so the wait was a little bit. Unfortunately, the CMs working the loading area were having a loud conversation about their unhappiness with their current rotation and the fact that they had been their too long. They went on to complain about other CMs, guests, and a number of other things. Ben and I actually found it kind of amusing, but it did strike me as very odd.

As it would turn out, actually getting on the boat would be worse. The Jungle Cruise really is one of my favorite attractions. The dry humor cracks me up, I just enjoy the cheesiness of it. I can't remember having such a bad Skipper as we did this time. He just was. not. good. Oh well, it was over soon enough.

Ben wanted to tour the Swiss Family Treehouse, so that is what we did next.
Looking back, it was probably a bad idea given how hot we were and how long we had been out of A/C by now.

By the time we we back on ground level, it was getting hard to take. The Pirate Tutorial was just beginning and I wanted to watch when I noticed this guy
IMG_2449.jpg

Not Jack Sparrow, but the other pirate. He was one of the actors at the Adventurer's Club, back when it was open.
We tried to watch the show, but just could not stand in the sun any longer. So we retreated into the cool darkness of Pirates of the Caribbean to cool off.

We decided that a change of scenery was in order, so we headed to the monorail to get to Epcot.

IMG_1622.jpg

Ben's great reflexes got this picture of the Tronorail.

IMG_2458.jpg

I love Epcot so much. Just walking in the gates makes me happy. Maybe it's the music, or the fact that the entrance plaza is big enough that you don't feel part of a mob of people.
IMG_2460.jpg

We rode Spaceship Earth and managed to get pictures of our cartoon future.
IMG_2463.jpg

Then it was on to Mission Space, a ride we both enjoy. But why does it have to take so long to get on it? I'm not talking about the line- that never seems long. But the pre-pre show, then the pre-show. It takes forever!

It was time for lunch, so we headed to Sunshine Seasons. It was really busy in there, and the hokey-pokey happening right in the middle of the restaurant did not make it easy to get food!
We decided to both get the same thing so we wouldn't have to wait in more than one line. Ben got us strawberry shortcakes and I picked up a couple orders of cashew chicken.
The chicken was good, but the shortcake was amazing! Love that stuff!

We needed to head out of the park to get back to the Poly in time for our DVC tour pick up.
IMG_2465.jpg

Up next: How long can two people who don't plan to buy DVC spend at the DVC info center?

I figure I may as well post the rest of this day... get this trip report over with before I drive all my readers away! (Woohoo for those who are still around, though!)

Day 9, cont: Breaking the Bank big time

We left off heading back to the Poly to meet our DVC pick-up.
We had a picture taken while waiting.

IMG_1625.jpg

Right on time, the DVC van pulled up and a very friendly CM drove us over to Saratoga Springs.
We checked in at the DVC info center and had some coffee and cookies while we waited. I was fascinated by the mural in there... it has special effects!

After a bit, we sat down with a CM named Larry to get some details. We had a funny moment when Larry tried to compare the difference between staying at a value vs. deluxe. Ben and I had to laugh and tell him about our experiences with the dirty room and leaking iron. He was shocked and told us he was very surprised we still came on the tour.
We talked about the program a bit and Ben was pleasantly surprised to find out about the Disney DVC properties located outside of WDW.
Eventually, we headed out to tour the model rooms for Baylake Towers and Kidani. We were really only looking at the studio (though those one bedrooms are niiiiice) because it will only be the two of us traveling.

Once the tour was done, we talked numbers a bit before Larry left us to talk it out. 2 hours later, we called him to come back. Because we were ready to buy some points at Bay Lake Towers! :scared1:
It's true... once Ben realized we could stay in Hilton Head, that was a huge step toward us buying. We had been talking about taking trips to Charleston and Savannah and this made a lot of sense. The new Aulani resort in Hawaii didn't hurt, either! So we went ahead and bought the most expensive souvenir we would ever get. If we thought our room charges were bad, this purchase blew all of that out of the water!
So... while I had to cancel our October 2011 trip to WDW, we currently have a trip to Vero Beach booked for May 2011 and plans for a Hilton Head trip next fall. WDW will have to wait till 2012, but because we'll probably buy APs, we'll take two trips that year. And, we'll get to stay at some great places.
We now have our next 5 years of vacations planned out, which seems like a little overkill, but we are excited!

After being at Saratoga Springs for almost 3 hours, we finally were ready to leave, and had just enough time to head to our room to get ready for our dinner at Kona Cafe.

We were early for our ADR, so we stopped to have a drink at the Tambu Lounge.
IMG_1627.jpg

I finally got my Lapu Lapu and it was good! Though I did feel a little wasteful about all that pineapple going uneaten!

I was super excited about Kona- we love this place! The bread they serve is delicious, as is the butter (macadamia, I think?). I had a shrimp & scallop dish and Ben ordered Tuna. Creme Brulee and Kahleau torte were dessert. This meal didn't disappoint, and we will absolutely be back!

After dinner, we headed over to Epcot because we wanted to visit the Boardwalk. Friends of ours had highly recommended Jellyrolls, so that was where we were headed.

The Boardwalk was pretty lively this evening, and we had a great time checking it out. We ended up walking through the hotel a little bit and we both agreed that we'd like to stay here.
When we got to Jellyrolls, we learned that there was a $10 cover per person to enter. Now, we spend money on lots of frivolous things (alcohol, desserts, 50 years worth of vacation...) but Ben really doesn't like to pay cover charges. We both decided that we just didn't need to go in that badly and turned around to head back. On the way towards Epcot, we stopped in at the model Boardwalk Villa and talked to a very nice CM. He gave us a few tips about taking DVC vacations and was very excited for us when he learned that we had just purchased.

By the time we made it back to the Poly, we were unbearably hot. It was about 10:30 and all we wanted to do was jump in the pool. So we put on swimsuits and headed out. Not being quick learners, we once again headed to the volcano pool. We got in, but the kids having impromptu races kept choosing the places we were sitting as their 'finish line'. It didn't matter if we moved, they always chose the place we were. So off to the quiet pool it was!

We spent about an hour swimming before heading back to the room. We finally cracked open the bottle of sparkling wine that came with the Ears basket. Before heading to bed.

IMG_1636.jpg

Up next, Day 10: One of the best days, EVER!

Ok so its sad but true, I have been lurking on your TR but cannot remember if I have commented before!!

The hotel at Universal looked amazing...I really would LOVE to see the Harry Potter area after reading your report and that resort looks worth checking out as well :goodvibes

I cannot believe your suprise was ruined and the bad luck you had with the room...I LOVE suprises and would be pretty ticked if that had happened to me (especially because those deliveries are not cheap!)

The server you had at Le Cellier is what I call an idiot!! I dont think I would have enjoyed his "joking" very much myself to be honest...its not that you expected extra special treatment for your pins, but you were celebrating a special occasion still!!! I know numerous people who have had to wait to take a honeymoon or who have done two trips like you did...anyway Im done my rant :rotfl:

I am SOOOOO jealous you purchased DVC....I think next time we are there I want to try and take the tour and perhaps convince DBF to take the plunge!!

And last but not least YAY RED SOX (though not so much this past season :lmao:) I am from MA originally :thumbsup2

Cant wait to read more!!

I am still here, reading along!!

First, yes...aren't the toilets in POR cool? I am so glad you took a picture cause I never was able to show dh what they looked like. (you would have thought at some point in 11 nights I would have grabbed the camera :confused3)

Second, what a beautiful picture of the castle and the moment you caught...too sweet!

Third, congrats on buying DVC. I am also among the jealous!!! We have gone to Disney every year just about for the last 10...and I don't see us not continuing to go...yet, Dh would NEVER agree to buying. I think he feels it would lock us in to only doing disney...and that the cost is higher than if we just get a good deal with a promotion.

Okay, so I can't wait to hear about your best day ever!!!

Congrats on DVC! I would love to do that, but DBF and I are taking baby steps. Our last trip was his first to WDW. This upcoming will prove to him you can still have fun even though you've done everything before. And the next trip, I hope, will be our first onsite (THEN maybe we can talk DVC :rolleyes1).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter