This elevator leads directly to… THE GIFT SHOP! A Dec. 2011 TR from BWI - FINAL 8-27

Had the job interview today. There ended up being two positions available. One will deal solely with attendance and the other will deal with the disciplinary issues that come into the Student Services office. I have a good feeling about this one as they asked me for references at the end of the interview!

Crossing my fingers for you...along with lots of prayers!

Well, I didn't get the job (and it STINKS) but the half way decent news is that I did get a letter saying the school was planning to use me in the same capacity that I was last year, which means I'll be able to return to DS's school, which I was afraid wouldn't be possible with the curriculum changes they made this year.

I'm pretty stoked for that small stroke of luck.

We entered through the I-Gateway a little after 10:00a and headed straight for the Land. We did take a minor detour (and no, it wasn’t the missed left at Albuquerque, sorry Bugs…) for this:
IMG_8704.jpg

This was the second time I found the Queen of Hearts behind the Fountain of Nations first thing in the morning. We were on time for her M&G today, earlier that year my kids and I barely squeaked into the line.

DSC_7846.jpg

We got to a very busy Land pavilion, it was time for early lunch… and headed towards Soarin’ for our check in for the Behind the Seeds tour. I was super excited for this tour as LWTL is one of my all-time favorite attractions. We ALWAYS rode it when I came with my parents as a kid – I remember parts of it being enclosed with plastic wrap and being really hot, but I loved seeing all of the growing plants.

But I digress…

We waited about 15 minutes before our tour guide, Katie, came to gather us up. She took us through some backstage doors to start the tour and we were off to a little outdoor area.

The first room we looked at was where they were growing some of the plants that you can buy at the gift kiosk near Soarin’. They had started the cuttings in their little jars and the room was just full of them.

We went back inside the Land building into a small room that had cages of two different types of insects: a wasp and a fly. Katie explained to us that the greenhouses sometimes got these parasitic flies that get inside of leaves and destroy them from the inside out.
IMG_0591.jpg
IMG_8709.jpg

Disney actually releases very small wasps into the exhibit that find and feed on these plant-killing flies!
IMG_0592.jpg

As you can tell from the sign, the wasp also works from the inside out… For some reason, I don’t have any pictures of the wasps, but from what I recall, they were smaller than a pencil eraser in length.

In that same room, I noticed Katie handed the only two kids on our tour a vial apiece. She whispered to them what to do with them and then walked to the back of the room again and asked for volunteers. E and I eagerly volunteered for the job, whatever it was, and we, too, were handed a little vile a piece. It was very cold to the touch, and to our surprise, it was a vial of lady bugs!

We were told to hold the vials until further instructed and we set off into the exhibit. One of the first things I noticed was this:
DSC_7795.jpg

All of the walls were lined with this stuff. It’s like cardboard, but it’s wiggly to stay vented, but it is also kept wet to help control humidity.

After I stopped being distracted by the walls, I listened to Katie talk about sustainability and the different types of gardening they do at the Land. As you may recall, there are several hydroponic apparatus in the exhibit as well as sand and some hanging gardens.

Our first stop within the exhibit was a hanging hydroponic garden of flowers
DSC_7772.jpg

and some herbs. It was time for the volunteers to take our place in the exhibit and release the ladybugs which are like the parasitoid wasp – a natural pesticide.
DSC_7764.jpg
IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg
IMG_8725.jpg

That one little guy REALLY liked E. At one point, he landed on her head! Also notice my nametag… Hi, I’m JEAN! :rotfl2: There are just some things not worth fighting in this world.

Anyway, we moved on the down the first big room (which is more like the 3rd or 4th on the ride) and we talked for several minutes about how to set up our very own hydroponic garden home. Just after talking about the water gardens, Katie told us about some of the special molds Disney uses on some of the plants.

For those who have ever been during Halloween, you may notice Mickey-shaped pumpkins, for the rest of us non-seasonal travelers, we have to settle for Mickey-shaped cucumbers!
IMG_0628.jpg

Katie opened up a refrigerator and pulled out this plate of cucumbers to try. Now, I’ll admit, I hate cucumbers, but I’m trying to like them so I tried one. This particular type wasn’t as smelly and pungent as the ones we get in Indiana so it was cool and refreshing to eat.

We moved on to the next room through a massive door where a lot of the hanging plants were. We saw the massive sweet potatoes
DSC_7787.jpg

and pumpkins
DSC_7808.jpg

(Notice the boat in the background? Someone in the group made the comment to smile and be ready to be in their photos! :rotfl2:)

and this thing that smelled remarkably like a lemon but wasn’t:
IMG_8760.jpg

I can’t remember what it was called, but it was bigger than a bowling ball!

We also stopped by the Guiness Book of World Record-holding tomato tree and I asked Katie about how it was doing. Last May the plant was completely down, except for what for any weekend gardener would call a good, healthy plant, but by December, the tree was back up into the canopy they use to support the “vining” plants. I lamented how much it had grown since May and she had said that a non-native predator bug got into the exhibit and destroyed the tomato tree in early 2011. What I saw in May was the restart after the infestation.

We pressed on to the room with all of the fish and crocodiles and managed to find a hidden Mickey
DSC_7819.jpg

You can’t tell it’s a Mickey from the boat ride, but the people who go on the tour get a full view!

We spent some time marveling at the alligators and we all had the opportunity to feed the tilapia in the massive vats as you just enter that room. Those things are massive and creepy and remind me a lot of the fish at Indiana Beach. They come up in droves because people feed them right by a boat dock. Eww… they’re just gross to look at!

We needed to get moving as our hour was almost up so we entered the last room of the tour (the first room on the attraction) where we saw bananas and papaya, etc. All of the tree plants.
DSC_7823.jpg

We made our final stop right in the middle of a lot of the trees and played a “guess-what-this-spice-is” game. I had to be careful because of my black pepper allergy, but know what it looks like without having to smell it. Regardless, E made sure to send that vial the opposite direction of me. Our guide also shared with us her favorite plant/fruit in the entire exhibit and it just happened to be grown in this room, the dragonfruit.

We were officially done with the tour but Katie opened the floor up to questions/comments/etc. I took some pictures of my nemesis (while humming “My neme-neme oooooh my neme-nemesis” from Phineas and Ferb)
DSC_7838.jpg

asked Katie to take a group shot of us near the pepper tree.
IMG_8787.jpg

We gathered up the group and headed out of the exhibit and back to where we started. I was so glad we took this tour and I’m pretty sure MB enjoyed it too.

The girls were set for lunch at Sunshine Seasons to feast on many of the elements we saw growing today, but all I enjoyed was a massive (and fresh) rice krispie treat. I had a date in Germany in a bit!

This is the one behind-the-scenes tour I'd like to take. Love the photos....the plants are so cool!

I love your report on the tour...now I am adding it to my things to do when I get back! Thanks for the great pictures and report!:thumbsup2

I love the picture of E where she is trying to pull the sword from the stone.

Your pictures of the castle and blue sky are so neat..as is the one of snow white.

You rode in your dads lap for SM?? I can’t even imagine. Things are so different now when it comes to safety.

Even though I've managed to lose all of my readers, I'm going to finish this thing!

I think it is the time of year. I have been so far behind on all the threads I am subscribed to it has been awful!!! I notice many people are not on as much.

Congrats for hitting the max score on Buzz Light year

Wow, 10pm and that family was just headed (in the wrong direction) the MVMCP? Good thing you were around to point them in the right direction.

Yay for getting the pin you had been looking for. I wondered if you were going to find it! I am so glad you did.

I have read so many good reviews of the behind the seeds tour. I think it would be a good one to do with girl friends...sans the kids.

Can't wait to hear how your solo lunch goes. I am considering doing one on my next trip... but thought it might be odd me eating alone. Your next update is perfect timing to help me decide. :goodvibes

This is the one behind-the-scenes tour I'd like to take. Love the photos....the plants are so cool!

I love your report on the tour...now I am adding it to my things to do when I get back! Thanks for the great pictures and report!:thumbsup2
Maybe it's the uber-nerd in me, but LWTL is tops on my list of things to do. I love fresh food, and the concept behind the sustainability of the methods they are using is just crazy.

I was so glad to have had the opportunity to see it all up close. I mean, c'mon... I got to feed the fish, find new hidden Mickey's, AND release some bugs into the exhibit.

The cost isn't bad, especially for a one hour tour. I plan to take DS on it in May. IDK if DH and DD would even want to bother.

I love the picture of E where she is trying to pull the sword from the stone.

Your pictures of the castle and blue sky are so neat..as is the one of snow white.
I know! She cracks me up!

I'm a BIG fan of looking for a new view. I liked the castle shot because there's enough to know what it is, but it's not the standard shot!

You rode in your dads lap for SM?? I can’t even imagine. Things are so different now when it comes to safety.
It was a bench seat (similar to the original Splash Mountain logs) and IIRC there was a "seatbelt" that you just wrapped around yourself - like on bumper cars at the county fair. The biggest thing I remember is my butt lifting off the bench with every dip! :scared1:

I think it is the time of year. I have been so far behind on all the threads I am subscribed to it has been awful!!! I notice many people are not on as much.
I can see that. Heck, I'm guilty of it too, and I'm still struggling to get caught up. At least my 4-H fairs are over. I've got a couple of small photo shoots (personal ones) and I'm going to the Brickyard 400 on Friday and Sunday and I have DS's birthday party in between. :faint:

Congrats for hitting the max score on Buzz Light year

Wow, 10pm and that family was just headed (in the wrong direction) the MVMCP? Good thing you were around to point them in the right direction.

Yay for getting the pin you had been looking for. I wondered if you were going to find it! I am so glad you did.
It's fun to have bragging rights for once - I'm usually at the bottom of the totem pole as far as video games are concerned.

I was floored that family was all turned around. I couldn't imagine going into a special event (especially for that price) with only 2 hours to go. I mean, you've missed the fireworks already and you stand an excellent chance of missing the parade.

DS was over the moon that I was able to complete that set! He's now turned his sights on a rack pin set of characters on rides. I've been looking at the set for a while now and I'm not sure how I'll pull off buying them. I've asked DH to buy me one of the designer villain dolls when they come out (Maleficent, of course) for my birthday, so it's not like I can ask for pins, too! I may break down and get a few boxes for the kids for Christmas. Who knows?

I have read so many good reviews of the behind the seeds tour. I think it would be a good one to do with girl friends...sans the kids.
The kids who came on our tour were really good. I think the family as a whole got bored (I assume they were international travelers who get deals on tours), but they never drew attention or acted out.

Can't wait to hear how your solo lunch goes. I am considering doing one on my next trip... but thought it might be odd me eating alone. Your next update is perfect timing to help me decide. :goodvibes
Biergarten and also Teppan Edo are both great places to dine solo. You are placed at communal tables anyway, what easier ways to blend in! It used to be unheard of to eat alone, but ya know what? It's not worth it to me to miss out on a meal if the family isn't into it or they didn't come.

Biergarten and also Teppan Edo are both great places to dine solo. You are placed at communal tables anyway, what easier ways to blend in! It used to be unheard of to eat alone, but ya know what? It's not worth it to me to miss out on a meal if the family isn't into it or they didn't come.

That is my thought... is it worth it to miss out on something I want to try just because no one else wants to go? The place I am thinking though is probably not as easy to blend... :rolleyes:

Well, I didn't get the job (and it STINKS) but the half way decent news is that I did get a letter saying the school was planning to use me in the same capacity that I was last year, which means I'll be able to return to DS's school, which I was afraid wouldn't be possible with the curriculum changes they made this year.

I'm pretty stoked for that small stroke of luck.

Congratulations! At the very least, it gives you breathing space to get that perfect job.

Love the pictures of the plants. I think next time I'm at the world, I need to book myself in for that tour. I just need to check what the minimum age is....we might have a problem if DS is not "legal".

Congratulations! At the very least, it gives you breathing space to get that perfect job.

Love the pictures of the plants. I think next time I'm at the world, I need to book myself in for that tour. I just need to check what the minimum age is....we might have a problem if DS is not "legal".
Looks like 3 is the minimum age. See here.

Shortly after lunch it was time to start heading back towards the I-Gateway to get E and MB off to ME and the airport. We took a leisurely stroll out of Future World towards World Showcase, stopping at several stores and kiosks along the way. As we passed Canadian Santa in his overalls and furry hat telling his version of the Christmas story, we soon found ourselves face to face with Ms. Practically Perfect herself. E and I both love Mary Poppins so we had to stop for an autograph and a photo.
IMG_8802.jpg

We milled around in France for a bit, checking out the fantastic shops there and it was then time to say goodbye. ::tear::sniff::

We hugged each other and we parted. I got misty.

I always do when I tell E goodbye because I miss her so much!

The girls were on there way and I was suddenly alone in the World. It felt weird – I’m not going to lie!

I had some time to kill before my 3p ressie at Biergarten so I meandered about WS, exploring and taking pictures and browsing.

Christmas decorations
DSC_7858.jpg

Morocco
DSC_7869.jpg
DSC_7870.jpg

Luckily that one doesn’t spit…

foliage
DSC_7855-fun.jpg

Crossing the World Showcase lagoon
DSC_7867.jpg

And it was time to check in! :banana:
DSC_7878.jpg

I spoke with a very forward young man. I daresay he was flirting quite a bit. He seemed shocked that I was a party of one and if you’ve ever seen “While You Were Sleeping” – he was leaning

For those who haven't or those who need a refresher... see HERE.

I grabbed my pager and put my ego in check (I think he thought I was a lot younger that what I actually am :banana:) and found my way out into the courtyard. I thought about the last time I got to go to the Biergarten – which was with my family in 1998 – the trip I ended up getting shingles on (I was 17 :sad2:) and the German boys flirted with me then, too. We had just entered the park and were trying to figure out where to go for dinner. There were 3 CMs walking in a group near us (I assume coming back from break) and after I angrily blurted out, “If you want to go to Germany, LET’S GO” (the shingles really made me with witchy… with a “b”) I overheard the rather attractive one said he’d be glad to show me the way to Germany… :blush:

My pager eventually snapped me back into reality and I made my way to the host stand. I was paired up with two other families, one of which seemed a little unnerved that they had to share a table, and off we went into the festival.
DSC_7890.jpg

We got settled in at the table. The family with a baby and a toddler closest to the railing and I sat in the middle of the two families as the buffer. I tried my best to make small talk but the toddler had mom and dad on their tiptoes and the other family just wasn’t chatty. At all. They spoke to me in English, but spent the rest of the meal conversing in a Middle Eastern dialect that I couldn’t place.

Our server came by to get our drink orders just as the band came out to play. The band is part of the reason why I love coming here. Granted, the food is always great, but it’s so nice to have the show along with the meal. Yes, it’s loud, but it just so much fun!

After settling up the check, I decided to make one last loop around WS and then it was back to BWI for me.
DSC_7897.jpg

I had to catch the bus at 5:30p and I was near Future World so I had enough time to ride Soarin’ one last time. The thing is, I really can’t remember if I got a FP or not… I just know that I didn’t wait too terribly long. I remember that I was standing in the first long hallway and one of the CMs was walking the line, looking for a party of 3. I chirped up that I was a solo rider and the people standing next to me said, “Hey! We’re a party of 2!” so he took us up to the front of the line. :teeth: The couple were on their honeymoon and were excited to not to have to wait in the massive line!

We were placed on the row two on the left, not the greatest of seats, but hey… we were on the ride. I took one for my new “team” and offered to sit on the very end (the far outside). I mean, first ride… twentieth ride… BTDT, whatever!

disney_714.gif

I looked at my watch and found that it was 5:00p. I had to hoof it out of FW, through the I-Gateway, get my junk from the concierge, and out to the ME check-in in 30 minutes. Oops.

bummer... I just had to relive leaving WDW again and you are still there. Totally unfair.

BTB LOVE the leaning video. I needed the refreshed :blush:

Sounds like you had a nice time in Epcot, even if you were alone. Sometimes that is the best time, just to take it all in. Sorry about the families at Biergarten...it can be really uncomfortable when people don't understand the concept of community dining...even though they tell you at the podium!

Whatcha thinking?????

I personally, secretly want to dine alone at Kouzzina (sp?). No one else going on the trip wants to... but I really do.

Your last moments in WDW :worried: I hate that... I always try to fit one last thing in. Your lunch sounds like it was ok to do alone...but being the buffer between two families might have been a bit too awkward for me. I hope you make it back in time... stress at the last minute is no fun.

Oh... and AWESOME pics btw!!!

Looks like 3 is the minimum age. See here.

Thanks! :goodvibes

I spoke with a very forward young man. I daresay he was flirting quite a bit. He seemed shocked that I was a party of one and if you’ve ever seen “While You Were Sleeping” – he was leaning…

For those who haven't or those who need a refresher... see HERE.

I grabbed my pager and put my ego in check (I think he thought I was a lot younger that what I actually am :banana:) .....I overheard the rather attractive one said he’d be glad to show me the way to Germany… :blush:

Shades of Grey seem more appropriate, Ms Cougar!

Sad about the last moments. :sad1:

I personally, secretly want to dine alone at Kouzzina (sp?). No one else going on the trip wants to... but I really do.

Your last moments in WDW :worried: I hate that... I always try to fit one last thing in. Your lunch sounds like it was ok to do alone...but being the buffer between two families might have been a bit too awkward for me. I hope you make it back in time... stress at the last minute is no fun.

Oh... and AWESOME pics btw!!!

We went to Kouzzina's for dinner. The food was nice, a little on the salty side. If you want to dine there, I'd say go for it. Afterall, it's not every day you make it to the World.

I made it back to BWI in plenty of time to get my carry-ons and confirmed for the flight. The bus for ME was quite full and the ride was incredibly sad. I hate saying good-bye/leaving... have I mentioned that?

Once at the airport, I got checked in and headed to the gate after passing through a super-busy security area. I've found that TSA people like you a lot when you shuck all your jewelry and shoes well before you get up to the detectors. I boarded the tram and soon found my gate. I was glad that there were no crazy muscle-heads on the flight, but slightly bummed that it was going to be a full flight! I guess that's to be expected since we were so much closer to the holiday.

It was bittersweet to be coming home, especially since I had no trip on the horizon. I promised DH that we would wait until FLE was complete before mentioning another trip and while that made me REALLY depressed, I knew from the progress I saw in December that the expansion is going to be fantastic and well worth waiting for.

Booo... I hate the end of trips.. and the end of TRs are not a whole not better.

Thanks for sharing your memories!!!

Thanks Ann!

I should've gotten it finished a while ago but school started and I plum ran out of time!

We just got back from Erica's wedding in South Dakota (she was a BEAUTIFUL bride!!!!) and I had one more night to unwind before it all breaks loose again.

I've got our first PTO meeting of the year coupled with the first shoot I've been on in two weeks. Luckily my writer is sending me out on two assignments to help save for our May trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter