thinking of volunteering.......

karentan

<font color=green>my main job for tomorrow is to g
now that ive got a normal job and dont work weekends or evenings anymore, i'm thinking of maybe trying to get into doing some volunteering work.
have seen an advert in the village newsletter that they're looking for volunteers for the brownies and the guides.
does anyone on here work with brownies/guides? can you tell me what it involves? i've looked at the guiding website, but i'm after some proper info on what its actually like. i haven't really worked directly with kids before, and i havent got kids myself, but i'm 28, i used to be in the guides, had a great time, and i just wanna give something back to the world.
can anyone help with some practical information?

I was a young leader with a brownie pack for 3 years until I stopped last year to come to uni, although I wasn't a proper leader I kinda know what it involves.
We used to meet every week for an hour and a half and they used to be very loud and very boisterous! When they first arrived we would organise a game in an attempt to calm them down a bit and then we would go into the 'welcome ceremony'. After that we would either split the girls into groups depending on their ages/sixes or we would just do a big group activity. The activities were usually something to do with a badge they were working towards, eg I ran an artist badge with my brownies and one week I had them painting a picture, the next we would learn about the colour wheel etc. After that it was another game and then home!
I was only a YL so I didn't do much of the organising but I know the leader and the assistant leader used to meet up regularly and organise getting things for the activities, or planning day trips.
I loved working with the brownies, it was a lot of fun and although they were sometimes a handful it was so rewarding to see them proudly show off the badges they had gotten to their parents!!

I help with brownies and rainbows, have done for 10 years now and I love it! We work as a team (of 3) to plan and prepare things for the units. Mainly craft things or games. I don't feel it takes up too much time. As I am in charge of the rainbow unit I also do the record keeping and accounts. We also take the brownies away for a weekend each year. Great fun! If you decide to do your leadership qualification then you will need to do different modules but these are things you will do within the unit anyway. Feel free to PM me if you want to know anything else!!

I've been a Brownie leader for over 20 years and I've also worked with Guides. It can take up as much or little of your time as you are prepared to give.

It's a godsend for existing leaders to have a reliable adult at each meeting but if you want to get involved with the planning or holidays that's even better.

I suggest you contact your district commissioner and ask to visit all the Brownie Packs and Guide Units that you may be able to help. That way you will find out which one you are most comfortable with - and which leaders too. It's tempting for a district to persuade you to help with the unit with most need but don't let that happen - this has to be a two way commitment and you must enjoy what you are doing.

As for what I do - I plan the meetings every term with the other Guider. We share activities so that every week we don't both have to prepare things. The meetings are an hour and a half (say two hours as we get there a little early and stay chatting about how activities went and what we're doing next week). Every couple of months we have district meeting with the other leaders in the area (2 or 3 hours depending on what's going on.)

Once a year we go on a long weekend holiday (2 or 3 nights depending on the adult help available). We have one or two extra planning meetings for these.

As an ex-Guide you'll know that in the meetings we do a variety of activities, craft, home safety, first aid, knotting - you name it we've probably had a go.

The girls are lovely - I prefer the 7-10 age group, but you might enjoy the more challenging activities that working with the older girls allows.

Don't think of the girls as children, just talk to them as you would any friends and you'll get along fine.

Good luck.

Don't think of the girls as children, just talk to them as you would any friends and you'll get along fine.
That's some really neat advice. I've never worked with the Brownies/Guides, but I did a lot of outreach programmes for universities, and this is definitely the best way to work. :)

Good luck with your volunteering; I'm sure it will be very rewarding. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter