Thinking of selling my old wedding ring

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by Singleminnie, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Singleminnie

Singleminnie DIS Veteran

Dec 30, 2008
    I need some additional money to put for a down payment on a vehicle. I am divorced single mom of three girls, and I am thinking about selling my wedding ring from my marriage to their Dad. I had wanted to keep it to break it up for the girls some day, but we need a newer more reliable, less gas vehicle. I am just not sure how to do it. I really don't want to go to a pawn shop, thinking of checking with jewerly stores around. I don't have a lot of time, need to finialize things by the end of this week as I am in a rental car. Has anyone sold theirs? Thanks in advance.
  2. Purseval

Purseval DIS Veteran

Jul 31, 2008
    Unless it's something pretty fancy it's not worth much more than they would pay for scrapping the gold. A pawn shop would offer the least and a private sale would offer the most but could take a long time. Take it to a jeweler and get an idea of how much it's worth before you decide.
  3. mrsklamc

mrsklamc <font color=blue>I apologize in advance, but what

Oct 29, 2006
    At the price of gold I say go for it. Try with a local jeweler rather than a chain.

I don't know if your girls are old enough to have an opinion that you could ask them, but my parents are divorced and I would not want their rings. I think it's weird that Kate has Princess Di's as her engagement ring; if I were her I'd gladly wear it on my right hand...(no flames please just MHO.)
  4. holden

holden DIS Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    I haven't sold a wedding ring, but I did sell a bunch of old gold at a local jewelry store. I received much more than I expected! I figured I'd get around $500, but I got $1200. Just make sure you go somewhere that has been around for a long time and has a good reputation. You can shop around too to compare prices.