1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Thinking of other ways

Discussion in 'UK Trip Planning Forum' started by squitty, Mar 5, 2002.

1. squitty

squitty <font color=006633>With a little bit of Pixie Dust

I was thinking of maybe doing New York to Orlando by Train or Greyhound after the quotes I have been getting for car hire. Has anybody had experience with these forms of transport in the USA.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. thefatman

thefatman Is it dinner yet?

I know there are a few trains that do runs to New York ( the main line isn't far from our villa)
    http://www.amtrak.com/
    though fares looked quiet high last time I looked at Orlando to LA via New Orleans.
    Doing it by train sounds fun, not sure if I could do a bus though its probably cheaper.

4. squitty

Thanks Dave,

Have just checked both Amtrak and Greyhound and Amtrak came out cheapest...:)

5. BevS97

BevS97 disney scrapper

Michelle,

I have taken Amtrack from New Jersey to Connecticut when I was visiting friends once - not admittedly that's not the greatest line in the world, and I was travelling alone with Katie (age 1) but it was a pretty hellish trip -the train was crowded and it had no facilities for luggage storage, or even food or drink for sale. Also it took 5 hours - it's about a 4 hour drive, but it stopped everywhere - I think there were 18 stops between NY and Hartford.

I don't want to put you off - but I would check into the detail of the train pretty carefully first.

Bev

6. squitty

Bev,
    I have checked the trains facilities
    According to the Amtrak website the train has sleeping facilities and food etc..

7. Enright78

Enright78 A bit of a lurker!!

If you go by train try Club class. We did this from Stamford CT to both Washington DC and to Boston and really enjoyed the experience, meals, wine and pampering!
    Personally, I would avoid using the bus, your fellow travellers can be a bit...ahem....fragrant? It is after all the cheapest way to travel, but in my experience not my favourite! Once did NY to Syracuse this way, never again! Perhaps I am too fastidious?