Thinking of doing Thanksgiving week next year

jennib5426

DIS Veteran
We are thinking of doing Thanksgiving week with our DVC points next year.
We have a 12 year old and 2 year old so can't really do off weeks during school year to beat crowds.

We have done Spring Break (Easter Week) at BCV and it was crowded but good weather.
We did June this year at BCV, never again, crazy crowded and hot.

How is Thanksgiving week?
Is it summer break crowded or maybe a little less?

Probably will stay at SSR or OKW due to point costs.

Looking for crowd and weather feedback.

thanks

In EasyWDW, the mon-we'd before Thanksgiving are 8's ... And after doing summer it didn't seem much different. But the crowd levels start dropping on Thanksgiving day and after it.

For weather, average is 78/58. But I've experienced 65/39 and 85/60 weeks ....so you need to pack everything from shorts to jeans and sweatshirts.

If you can hit an MVMCP, I'd definately reccomend trying it! It's still Disney, and if it's not your favorite, try another season next year.

Book your home resort when you can. Then try to switch at seven months out exactly. You may or may not be able to do it.

Crowds are not as extreme as Easter or even latter half of June but still very crowded. If you are looking at 7 month window, SSR will likely be open but OKW has some risk otherwise for the Wed to Fri of the week if seeking studio. If you are thinking possibly AKV standard or savanna view, you have a similar risk as OKW (value and club level will definitely be gone). Other resorts are likely to be quite difficult. As noted above, weather can be quite variable although it is usually pretty good.

We are going this year and were there that week a few years ago. This year we're actually spending 9 days there because they don't do the MVMCP during that week. So we'll see it on the Friday before that week.

I would have to disagree on PP saying the crowds start dropping on Thanksgiving day. When we were there before Thursday, Friday and Saturday were all packed but workable. Monday wasn't bad, Tuesday was a little more crowded and so on.

Our first day there it was warm and we spent some time by the pool. Cold front came through that night and it was cool the next few days. High 30s in the morning, nice during the day and then cool at nights. It will test your packing skills!

Both times we've gone its coincided with our school playing in the Orlando Classic at Wide World of Sports. One of the top tournaments each year. Hoping we bring home the trophy this year.

Our home resort is SSR so we will book that at 11 month window, if we can change at 7 months we will try. We have been having good luck at the 7 month, getting BCV, WLV and BLT but we get a 1bd which seems to be easier to get then studio or 2bd. I have only stayed at SSR once in the 7 years I have owned it.
We have never stayed at OKW but I hear the rooms are bigger.

We can manger large crowds since we are Dis vets, it's the heat we didn't do well with when we were there in June this year.

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite times to visit WDW (we are also tied to school breaks and avoid WDW when it is hot). It is crowded but not insanely crowded like Christmas/New Year's. We have a pretty high tolerance for crowds and are going back for Christmas this year for the third time, but some would find Thanksgiving too crowded. It sounds like you have the experience to manage the crowds and know what to expect - you should be fine if the Easter and June crowds were manageable for you. The weather can get chilly some days but in general is very nice that time of year. Thanksgiving seems to be one of the more difficult time to switch resorts at 7 months starting Wed of Thanksgving week, but you may get lucky with OKW if you call right away at 7 months.

We have done thanksgiving before and we booked our home resort 11 months out. And had someone else book the rest of our stay with there 11 month window. This year flights were just recently $49 one way for thanksgiving. We saw 3 nites AKL grabbed it, one night studio different view grabbed it. Had no avail any dvc first two nights , settled for Caribbean beach and wait listed. Wait lists came thru and Saw some availability last week changed it around and now we have three nights AKL jambo and 4 nights kidani. We are happy. Crowds I did not think horrible last time for that week. But I do not go to a park Thanksgiving, if I did go to one, it would be animal kingdom. And I do not go to Magic Kingdom on Saturdays ever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!