thinking of buying direct for bay lake

Jenn504

Mouseketeer
Yes, I can't believe I am saying that. I brought a small resale two years ago, 60 points BLT sept use year. I bought small to see if it worked for us. It does. We recently stayed at Alunai in a studio. It was great. We are ready to go all in. We want to add about two hundred points. I have been looking at resale for the past couple of months for BLT. Contracts price point keep going up. Average price is around 120 and those are stripped contracts. I know that is still 50 dollar a point less. Here are some reasons I am thinking of buying direct
Taking forever to find the right contract, ( use year, points)
BLT prices keeps going up on resale.
If I buy direct I can get a contract how I want it, I am thinking two or three smaller contracts to either give to kids later or sell a smaller contract if we decide to get rid of couple points. It is hard to plan for the next fifty years. Right now, we go every year but as kids grow older?
I already have trip planned for October at contemporary, paying 3000 for the room. We are planning another trip for Star Wars weekend in 2016. Don't want to spend another 3,000 on a room. Would rather put that toward buying dvc.

Here is what I need to know, have not contacted a dvc broker yet. I know they are sold out buying direct. How long do you think it would take to get a contract through them. Could they, should they include 2014 points in sept use year contract.

Should I just be more patient or is it worth the extra money to get a contract I want sooner? I figure it would be roughly 10,000 more to buy direct for what I want. But, if I can get points from them in next few weeks, I could put the vacation money I was going to spend on hotel room for next two trips toward the price. All the resale contracts I have seen recently don't have points until 2016.

I would love to hear thoughts or suggestions, I know resale is better but is BLT price point resale to that point where direct is also starting to make sense?

It's your money, only you know if it's worth it to pay more buying direct and only your guide can tell you how long it will take. With resale the contract could be striped or loaded, with Disney you will get points for your current UY. Often the guides make it seem like buyers are getting extra points when in fact they are not.

:earsboy: Bill

Could they, should they include 2014 points in sept use year contract.

since we are still in the sept 2014 UY - assuming they can get you the pts by aug 31 - there should be no problem getting you current/2014 UY pts.

Should I just be more patient or is it worth the extra money to get a contract I want sooner? I figure it would be roughly 10,000 more to buy direct for what I want. But, if I can get points from them in next few weeks, I could put the vacation money I was going to spend on hotel room for next two trips toward the price. All the resale contracts I have seen recently don't have points until 2016.

i can't imagine paying direct prices, but if you are convinced that is what you want and you don't want to wait for better resales to come along, knock yourself out... :)

Here is what I need to know, have not contacted a dvc broker yet. I know they are sold out buying direct. How long do you think it would take to get a contract through them. Could they, should they include 2014 points in sept use year contract.
2014 points will only be included if you purchase before September 1st. For a 200 point, September use year? I'd expect at least 6 months on the wait list for that to come around. That means your October trip wouldn't be bookable, and 2014 points wouldn't be included.

Wow, I didn't know it would take months to get the points through Disney on the wait list. I was thinking a couple weeks. I am glad to hear they should include 2014 points. I think I might call and get put on wait list. If I find something resale between now and then I can jump on it. I am not not committing to Disney by going on the waitlist? Right?

Wow, I didn't know it would take months to get the points through Disney on the wait list. I was thinking a couple weeks. I am glad to hear they should include 2014 points. I think I might call and get put on wait list. If I find something resale between now and then I can jump on it. I am not not committing to Disney by going on the waitlist? Right?
Again; they'll only come with 2014 points if you close in the next three months. That seems unlikely for a waitlist to come through that quickly for a sold-out resort. I see two September contracts on the market right now, for 200 and 220 points. While they don't have any 2015 points, they offer a substantial discount over buying direct. So much, in fact, that you could rent 400 points and still come out ahead by buying resale.

We were on the waitlist from January and got the call just yesterday. We found a resale contract for 60 points and jumped on it in April. Just waiting for it to close, so we passed on the waitlist. There is no commitment, just a potentially long wait.

Your right to rent 400 points would be 6,000 at 15 a point. If I paid 120 per point for 200 points resale. I would pay 10,000 more for direct. If I had put that 6000 toward buying direct instead of hotel reservations, and used points. I would only be paying 4000 more buying direct. I think that would be worth it for a 2 100 point contracts or 2 60 and a 1 70 point contract. I know I will use the 200 point contract now but say in 10 years when the kids are older, I don't know, so selling a smaller contract and still keeping some points would be wise. I really didn't know it would take so long on the wait list. Not being able to use direct points toward one or even both, loose the value I would gain. I think I am just getting impatient waiting, and I keep seeing BLT points going up. I was planning on buying Poly points but after reading and thinking about different points of view on the disboards, I changed my mind. I just can't see not having access to a one or two bedroom at 11 months. I feel I would be paying high maintenance fees there for bungalows I would never use.

There really isn't any financial justification to buy a large number of BLT points direct vs resale. And it probably won't be any faster and may actually be slower to go direct. Have you considered looking at a different UY on resale to open up your options?

Another way to consider is that with resale you could get 280 to 290 points for the same price as direct. So you might consider a slightly larger contract with whatever UY ( I found a 250 June with a few banked points but there was a February 200 point that isn't loaded but has current points) and if you didn't want all those points you could sell your current contract and still come out ahead vs direct.

We bought BWV direct in 2014. We went on June and Aug waitlist for 55 points and 2 weeks later got the June UY. We were happy and went on with life when 2 months later we got a cAll that they forgot to take us off the Aug UY waitlist and now those points were available to us if we wanted them. We just couldn't resist 25 more (even though a different UY than the others). Once the points are there, you close and have them in your account pretty quickly (few days). It doesn't hurt to go on the waitlist and see what happens. One suggestion is that you, OP, could break the 200 points up into 2 contracts (or 3 even): 50 and 150 or 75 and 125 or some such. If Disney reclaims a contract with, say, 300 points and someone is on the waitlist ahead of you for 150 and then you are on for 200 and then the person below you is on for 100...they give the first person the 150 and then don't have 200 for you so they skip over you and give the person below you the 100....or if the person ahead of you wants 250 and a contract for 130 comes up and you are on for 50 and 150 they will fill your 50 and then keep you waiting to fill your 150...understand what I am saying? But if you break up into 2 or 3 contracts, you pay closing costs 2 or 3 times so there's that negative but if you ever need to sell some off those smaller contracts go faster and for more $$$.

Your right to rent 400 points would be 6,000 at 15 a point. If I paid 120 per point for 200 points resale. I would pay 10,000 more for direct. If I had put that 6000 toward buying direct instead of hotel reservations, and used points. I would only be paying 4000 more buying direct. I think that would be worth it for a 2 100 point contracts or 2 60 and a 1 70 point contract. I know I will use the 200 point contract now but say in 10 years when the kids are older, I don't know, so selling a smaller contract and still keeping some points would be wise. I really didn't know it would take so long on the wait list. Not being able to use direct points toward one or even both, loose the value I would gain. I think I am just getting impatient waiting, and I keep seeing BLT points going up. I was planning on buying Poly points but after reading and thinking about different points of view on the disboards, I changed my mind. I just can't see not having access to a one or two bedroom at 11 months. I feel I would be paying high maintenance fees there for bungalows I would never use.
I don't think 200 points is really that "big" for BLT. I doubt those contracts are sitting on the market for more than a month.

Isn't BLT direct cost like $170 pp? Higher than the new resorts. That is crazy if true.

Yes. BLT direct is $170.

Just seems a lot to pay. You could probably negotiate and get it for $100-115pp for a full 200pt contract (closing was $500 for us on a 200pt contract)

You can also get a different use year and transfer your 60pt into the new account every year.

You probably won't be able to book a trip for October 2015 on points at this time due to availability so don't count that $3K as money you can free up.

Kinda in the same boat as OP...would like more BLT points but there is a wait list to buy direct and yes it is 170.00 per point. Would like any and all thoughts from veterans on pros and cons of buying direct vs a resale. We like going to WDW and don't plan on going to another DVC resort, cruise, adventure etc. TIA on where you have bought resale and any other thoughts !

Pros:
1. you can use your points for cruises, collections and adventures.
2. Closing costs might be less (you might save $200-400 on closing costs)
3. You may receive a canvas dvc bag
4. You get your points and membership info as soon as they call you off the Waitlist (which may take a few weeks or a few months)
5. No need to deal with the hassle of looking for your use year and the whole negotiation process (and waiting for rofr/estoppel) which can take 90+ days
6. You can go on member cruises

Cons:
1. You can save about $50-70pp depending on price negotiated. This could end up a pretty heft sum, depending on the number of points.
2. The benefits of direct and resale are pretty much the same with the exception of the restrictions, which you aren't interested in anyway
3. Your wait is appx 90 days from contract signature. No waiting and wondering when you'll be called off the Waitlist
4. The closing cost difference is negligible
5. Your bank account might thank you.
6. You still get your 11 mo advantage, and 7 mo trading into any dvc resort. They cannot change this benefit for resale contracts,

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info suebeelin! These were the same pros and cons we are coming up with on our list ! DVC did tell us could be 3-4 months on wait list so we are are looking at resale sights which right now don't have a Dec use year that we need.

I really dont get where the closing cost savings that is always thrown around happens. DVC Direct makes you pay maintenance fees on every point. So if you bought now and got 14 points, you would pay Fees on 14 and 15 the day you signed the contract with 16 due in February.

If you find a loaded contract resale you only pay fees on this year, 2015 and 2014 points are essentially free in nearly ever single deal. You may pay a premium on price per point compared to strip contracts but lets say its 125 point for 200 points.

Resale- [125 x 200 = $25,000] + [$1,010 in 2015 Fees] + [$635 in closing cost] = $26,645 for 200-14, 200-15, 200-16 and so on

Direct- [170 x 200= 34,000] + [2 years of fees = $2,020 ] + Closing costs of $445 = $36,465 for 200-14, 200-15, 200-16

I really dont get where the closing cost savings that is always thrown around happens. DVC Direct makes you pay maintenance fees on every point. So if you bought now and got 14 points, you would pay Fees on 14 and 15 the day you signed the contract with 16 due in February.

If you find a loaded contract resale you only pay fees on this year, 2015 and 2014 points are essentially free in nearly ever single deal. You may pay a premium on price per point compared to strip contracts but lets say its 125 point for 200 points.

Resale- [125 x 200 = $25,000] + [$1,010 in 2015 Fees] + [$635 in closing cost] = $26,645 for 200-14, 200-15, 200-16 and so on

Direct- [170 x 200= 34,000] + [2 years of fees = $2,020 ] + Closing costs of $445 = $36,465 for 200-14, 200-15, 200-16

Buying direct, you don't pay 2014 maint fees. IE: I am Aug UY and if I were to get 25 BWV Aug UY today, I'd get the 2014 points but only pay maint fees on 6 months of 2015 = $505 (it's prorated on how many months left of current year)..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter