Thinking about going to those "other" parks.....

LALA8971

Disney is My Laughing Place
Hello All!
We have been in the first stages of planning a trip to DL with my friend and her family (for Oct. 2016). She recently threw us a curve ball and now wants to do a 6-7 night cruise + DW for 5-6 days! She is turning 40 and wants a dream vaca (I'm hitting Tokyo Disney for mine, so I don't blame her). My biggest issue is the 2 weeks we will be away from home. I am a proud mom to 2 amazing Rhodesian Ridgebacks and I think 2 weeks is just too long, so we are skipping the cruise.

I'm just not sure I'll love the World like I do DL. Can anyone share their experiences of their first time in DW after being DL regulars? What are the best tips for newbies? Any advice is much appreciated!

It has been a while since I went to DW, so I'm sure there are others better suited to give specific tips, but I will give some of my general impressions...

I was a bit disappointed with Magic Kingdom. Walking through it felt like I was in some strange dream where things looked like Disneyland but weren't quite Disneyland. For someone who has been visiting DLR since I was 2, it was hard to shake that "slightly off copycat" feeling.

However, the other parks made up for it, especially Epcot and Animal Kingdom, which offer experiences you can't get at DLR. I do miss those parks and hope to go back some day soon.

I would certainly suggest you go to DW at least once. Even if you end up feeling similarly about MK (which you may not, many DLR folks love it), Epcot and Animal Kingdom are worth it!

I have never been to WDW either but am planning a short trip in Oct for MNSSHP (we are closer to WDW and its easier to get there) and I can tell you the planning is a PAIN!! Earlier this month I was at my "180" mark for our trip and on the my Disney experience where you make the reservations didn't have my 180+ days open that morning, by the time it was on there that afternoon the best I could get for the only place that was really important (BOG) 9pm dinner reservation!!! I took it so we could eat there but that is crazy you really don't have great chances of getting what you want esp when the site messes up all the time (I had several people say they have had the same problem)

I enjoyed the trip 3 years ago. Although I agree going to Magic Kindgom was surreal. However, after all the mess to plan, I am not really wanting to go there ever.

That is one of the biggest issues for me. For DL trips, I plan, plan and then plan some more....but once I'm there, we just relax and do whatever! The place has such a calming effect on me.
I am having a little trouble wrapping my head around FP+ and the crazy ADR situation. I hate having to be so rigid! I do want to go to WDW one day, I'm just not sure I want to give up a trip to DL to do it!

That is one of the biggest issues for me. For DL trips, I plan, plan and then plan some more....but once I'm there, we just relax and do whatever! The place has such a calming effect on me.
I am having a little trouble wrapping my head around FP+ and the crazy ADR situation. I hate having to be so rigid! I do want to go to WDW one day, I'm just not sure I want to give up a trip to DL to do it!
I am a huge planner also but with WDW it just seems so overwhelming, I mean our trip is MONTHS away and I can't get a decent time to eat at the only place we wanted to try, I like at DL I can plan to my hearts content but don't have to worry about if I am going to get to eat at the place we want to and know that I can change things at last min when we get there

I have five dogs and would not dream of leaving them for two weeks, even with a dog sitter. They would feel that I had abandoned them. As to the parks, I took my kids and grandkids to WDW a few years back. I had been several times, but they had never been. When all was said and done, we decided that DLR is our Disney park. WDW is just too big and hard to navigate.

They would feel that I had abandoned them.

Mine too! They do great at their kennel, but I feel horribly guilty when I leave them.
I'm also feeling like WDW is huge! 3 day park hoppers at DL and I end up with aching feet for a week (not to mention the disc issues in my back). I can't image 5-6 days in the parks.
I have a lot to think about...............

We alternate between WDW and DL each year. Table service is definitely something that needs to be planned. One thing to keep in mind is that you may not do/see as many attractions in 5-6 days at WDW as you do in 3 at DL. Plan that getting anywhere will take longer than you're used to. Definitely no walking between parks! Also, you need to remember that there is no way you can see everything. When planning your FP+ pick your must do's and go with the idea that anything else is just gravy. Will you stay onsite at WDW? I am a huge fan of onsite there. I think the biggest thing is to not compare the two. Yes they are both Disney parks but I think they are totally different experiences. Try to think of it as a "bonus" trip to your regular DL trips. If you have questions if be glad to try and help.
Kari

I found WDW to be frustrating. The Magic Kingdom didn't hold the same magic for me as Disneyland, but I haven't been since it's been upgraded a lot. We spent an afternoon there and checked out the handful of rides that were different than those at DL at the time. The rest of our 5-day vacation we spent at all the other parks, especially Epcot and Animal Kingdom. If you focus on the unique experiences you can only get there, it's worth it. I really enjoyed the food options there, for instance. We got one of the dining packages and enjoyed the French restaurant especially. If you focus on the stuff that's the same, it's nothing special. I also felt the lines for rides were much longer, though that was before their current fastpass system as I haven't been since the millennium celebration.

I found WDW to be frustrating.

I fully expect it to be frustrating and that is why I'm half way to saying, NOPE! Sticking with my DL! But then I factor in the MIL issue, she wants to come on the trip and she lives in VA. She will fly out to the West Coast, but WDW will be easier.

Total first world problem here, right? Which amazing Disney park to go to on vacation! :rainbow:

I've been to Disneyland too many times to count. As a new "local" to SoCal, I get to the parks several times a month. Prior to living here, I spent most of my life in the San Francisco Bay Area, so multiple visits to Disneyland per year have been a routine part of my life since I was a child growing up in the 70's and 80's. Disneyland never gets old for me, and I'll always love it.

All that being said, I love, love, LOVE Walt Disney World. I've been there seven times since 1997, and can't wait to return in July. WDW is my favorite U.S. vacation destination outside of Hawaii. I love the planning aspect, I love all the parks, the resorts, and the restaurants as well. I've never done anything else in Florida, and don't feel the need to. Even living mere miles from Disneyland, I can't get enough of WDW.

Go and have a blast. There is so much to do and experience at WDW. We went last May for the first time and had so much fun that we can't wait to get back again!

Yes it takes more planning further out than DLR and FP+ is not the same as FP-. But as long as you go into it with a positive attitude you will enjoy WDW.

Following this thread since we are DL vets in the middle of planning a December 2015 trip to WDW. It just all seems so intimidating compared to DL!

We have been to DL countless times. We went to WDW once and had a blast. I would go back in a heartbeat, but DLP is so much closer and less expensive. :-)

I found the www.easywdw.com blog invaluable when planning our WDW trip.

Keep checking on those reservations right up to your trip date. Things can open up closer to the date as other over planners release their reservations.

I'm a DLR regular, who just got back from a week long trip to WDW. (Born and raised in L.A. Area) agree that all the planning is overwhelming!! I second the recommendation to read EasyWDW. Not sure if/when we'll go back. If we do go back, it'll be a split stay with Universal I think. We apparently had unseasonably warmer weather (to the 90's) with humidity. Ugh. Did enjoy using the MagicBands for everything though.

If you're going in October, then read the crowd calendar for that month, to strategize which parks to visit. http://www.easywdw.com/category/calendar/10-october-2015-crowd-calendar/

There are also "cheat sheets" for each park to help you with your touring plan. http://www.easywdw.com/category/cheat-sheets/

If you're staying on site, then you can book your FP+ at the 60d mark. (One advantage of being on the West Coast is that I was able to book my FP at 9pm Pacific time, the night before my window opened--I guess because it was midnight East coast time?)

Of note, I hear that they just announced free dining dates for the fall at WDW. I don't know how that will impact your ADR plans (I'm guessing it will be harder to book table service?)

I am the complete opposite! I am from New Jersey and have been to Disney World about 20 times or so. I can not get enough of it! I absolutely love it. Once you are there you are away from everything and your mind forgets everything. I will be going to Disneyland in August for the first time and I feel like I might be disappointed with it being so small. I could spend 2 weeks in Disney World and still not be able to do everything. We are going to Disneyland for 4 days. I feel like it will be weird being in the parks and seeing the city right next to you. I am reading some books on Disneyland, but does not seem like there are as many books as Disney World. I think you will enjoy it!

Look, WDW is different from DLR. You can do so much more there than at DLR. In return it will take more planning. Saying you don't want to go to WDW because it is not as easy is sort of like saying you do not want to go to Hawaii because it is so much easier to go to the beach a half hour from your house. It is true Hawaii is harder to get to but the beaches and activities are not the same as your local beach.

There are more planning resources for WDW than DLR. So you have a lot of help. Yes it is true you cannot have the same level of "seat of the pants" touring like you can at DLR. It is bigger and harder to move around the resort. But it is cool all the things you can do there. You really need to stop comparing it to DLR and embrace a new experience that has different requirements for preparation.

I hope that helps get you off top dead center. :)

:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter