Thinking about canceling Ohana Dinner- Am I crazy?

DisneyFirstTimer10

DIS Veteran
DH, DS (5), DD(2) and I are headed back to WDW in Feb and snagged a 5:30pm Ohana dinner. I was excited at the time, and now- I'm not so sure....

We ate there on our last trip and thought it was decent. DS wasn't into the hula/coconut races and DH and I werent super impressed with the food- but something about Ohana seems magical- maybe it was because I read so many good things about it, and knew it was a really hard place to get into.

I am really starting to think it might be best to try out somewhere new-

Any suggestions? (We are already eating at the Wave and CP for dinner) We will be in the MK that day, no hoppers- so we would like to stay around that area...

number one on our list of wants would be good quality food!!!

One time was enough for our family, so I don't think you're crazy. If you want something fun, maybe try Whispering Canyon Cafe at WL or for another buffet maybe 1900 Park Fare.

I think O'Hana's is a must! Keep the ressie! I've eaten there several times, and although I agree that the restaurant took a 'dip' in quality for a couple of years, I believe they are back on track these days. We ate there 5 months ago and it was excellent. And I'll guess your DS (5) will enjoy the coconut races more this time around!

I think O'Hana's is a must! Keep the ressie! I've eaten there several times, and although I agree that the restaurant took a 'dip' in quality for a couple of years, I believe they are back on track these days. We ate there 5 months ago and it was excellent. And I'll guess your DS (5) will enjoy the coconut races more this time around!

Agreed. We had a very tough choice to make between Ohana and Boma and picked Ohana. Ohana is just too unique an experience, much more so than a traditional sit down restaurant or a buffet. Also...I love unlimited shrimp! :)

'Ohana is a must for us. We have ate there 5 times in our last 4 trips. It is our favorite place on property (Boma being our worst meal and we are adventurous eaters!). We love it! It is all about preference but we really really really enjoy it. We also liked Whispering Canyon, but thought the food at 1900 Park Fare wasn't very good. The characters were great! But the food was just so so.

Erica

I am not an Ohana's lover we've done breakfast once and dinner twice.

I wanted to love it but found poor service all three times. While breakfast wasn't bad I found the grilled meats at dinner very dry.

Don't think we will be returning any time soon.

Go with your gut feel.

My family enjoys Ohana. But if you are looking for something served family style that is fun and good near the MK, you may want to check out Whispering Canyon.

'Ohana is my favorite WDW restaurant! That being said, I usually get reservations much later in the evening and miss the coconut races/hula lessons and catch Wishes. I love the food and the experience. Kona Cafe is another favorite of mine. I went there about 2 weeks ago for an early dinner without reservations and got in before the huge line of people that were waiting to go into Ohana. Whispering Canyon was a great suggestion. Lots of fun...but if the coconut races were a distraction at Ohana, then WCC is probably not a good choice. Its one of the loudest (but most fun) restaurants I've been to at the World. If you're looking for something a little bit more down to earth, try Trail's End at Fort Wilderness. Good food, and it gives you a chance to explore the Fort which is really neat if you've never been there. If you're willing to spend a little bit more though, I have to suggest the Hoop-Dee-Doo. Its hard to describe, but I have never heard any complaints. The food is great, and the show is fantastic!! Wonderfully cheesy jokes, great singing and dancing...just a great overall experience!

If you are, then so am I! I snagged an O'hana dinner reservation and canceled it earlier this week.

We always make ressies at Ohanas every trip and dine there the first night and last night .Never had a bad meal until---U guessed it 2 weeks ago.The first night was amazing, probably the best we have ever had in many years.... Our last night well it was like a totally different place. Our food came out and the steak was raw. We asked for medium rare and it was like it was just cut off the cow and served.We showed our waitress and she said she would bring more. Thirty minutes later it came back and was exactly the same. RAW. She began to get annoyed and her third trip was meat that was shoe leather. With all this no other food was coming out either so our dining that night was 3 hours. We asked for a manager and told her and the answer was ,well it happens.So unlike Disney. We had a mountain of uncooked beef on our table which nobody wanted to take away and that also was uncalled for.My husband is a doctor and explained how dangerous it was to serve meat this way but the answer was the same. Oh well it hurts me to say negative comments about Ohanas since it has always been our most favorite spot , but im beginning to think i amy have to make other choices.:sad1:

Go with your guys like pp stated. I cancelledour OHANA ADR b/c my husband has no desire to eat there and asked to switch to The Wave (in fact The Wave has something our son could eat)...I don't think either my son or husband would be crazy with the food at Ohana.

We love love love 'Ohanas but that being said, I have to say we were less than thrilled on our trip from the 5th- 12th of November. Dishes were not as good as last time, even the noodles that I love tasted like overcooked mush...... The fact that another guest who was totally smashed was incredibly rude and disgusting to me in front of all of the other guests didn't help. The manager was good about it, talked to his family with him, and then took it a few steps farther, but the night was just not good at all for us. We do go every year and will go again next time but if it is bad again, it will get bumped off the list.

I will say that we very much enjoyed WCC for dinner. The skillet platter was great but it is loud and chaotic so if you prefer a quiet meal, don't do it! lol

Artist Point is very high end but so-so in our opinion. Cali Grill seems to be slipping as well. Have heard nothing but great things about the Wave including from the manager at our hotel and we will be going there next time for sure. We tried Citrico's for the first time and it too is high end but for us (2 adults not traveling with kids) it is now the new favorite. The food and service was amazing!

If you're already at MK why not try doing Liberty Tree Tavern? We always enjoy that. Not fancy or exceptional but nice and then you don't need to leave the part and come back. just a thought......

I think for many of us Ohana has the potential to be just about the best place on property for a great dinner experience. The resort is vintage Disney and the Ohana atmosphere is a perfect match. You factor-in the view of Wishes and it just couldn't get much better(those who remember this location as the Papeete Bay Verandah will agree). The problem is the quality of the food and/or service. If you get good food and great service at the same time at Ohana, you have beaten the odds.:earsboy:

Thank you for the advice! DH actually suggested WCC- Seems like a lot of you feel the same :)

This December will be our first experience at O'hana and I am excited. DH and I tried WCC last time and we weren't too impressed. I will say though that we were seated out of the "fun" area, so maybe that is why.

I have read some not-so-good reviews about O'hana but I want to try it and see for myself. I think trying something new and different is fun!

P.S. We loved Boma for breakfast but that was several years ago...

We really like LTT :) We haven't been since the characters were booted, but when we did go, the food was very very good, hot, filling, and above average. We were there when it was late and crowded. So, I would imagine them to be quite good at all hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter