Think Tank / Mind Shift Rotation packs, anyone?

SuperDave531

Earning My Ears
Hey guys :)

I, like so many of you photographers, are always on the hunt for the best bag / pack for gear. The Think Tank / Mind Shift rotation line has been out for a little while already, and I'd like to know if anyone has had any experience with them. They're a little pricey, but I'm willing to invest in something that'll be worth it in the long run.

If any of you have had any experience using one of these packs, I'd like to know which spec, and what sort of gear you use with it if at all possible.

Thanks for any and all input! :stitch:

http://www.mindshiftgear.com/

I was looking at a Mindshift Rotation Panorama. The suspension system is really awesome. My problem was that I couldn't fit my 60D with battery grip and attached lens (even my short 50mm 1.8) into the lower compartment that flips out. Without a lens or with the battery grip it works fine but I didn't want to miss either. I would have loved to the get the smaller version but since my setup didn't fit, it was a no go :( I do, however, own the Mindshift Pro Insert that goes into the top of the Pro version of the backback (not the Panorama version). I love that insert and regularly use it to transform my Osprey backpack into a camera backpack. The Pro version of the backpack would have taken my setup in the lower compartment but I found it too big and a tad bit too pricey.

Oh wow, interesting! Thanks for the info @elmoandzoey. I was wondering if my little Rebel with a 70-200mm f4 attached would fit in there lengthwise. Reason being, some guy is unloading the 360 pro one on CraigsList but is a bit big for what I want it to do, and decided to look into the rest of the Rotation line. The suspension system would be perfect for my application around The Parks at night whenever I want to take long shots with my tripod. The mrs. and I are going hiking down the Grand Canyon next week and I'd really like something like this that would allow me to access my gear w/o having to be all clumsy and removing my pack from my shoulders or attempt to access my camera in some strange contorted way that my existing bag wasn't designed to sit. So for me it's a toss up between the Pano, and the Trail pack. :P

I got the Lowepro Sport 30l AW instead. It has a side access and the pouch is large enough to take even the 70-200 f2.8 with an attached pro body. I just took that backpack to DL with me and found it to be perfect for me. I usually keep the camera out but the parks were so crowded people constantly bumped into my camera. I was happy I could store it away and still have quick access. I just had to swing it around, open the pouch and was ready to go.

However, if all you want to store in the pouch, you may be able to fit the Revel with the 70-200. The backpack itself doesn't have any additional camera space though so there won't be anywhere to store additional lenses. I couldn't fit my body and two lenses in the pouch unless I took the lens off the camera - which kind of defeats the purpose of having quick access. I'd have to get an additional pouch for the top of the backpack which pretty much takes up the whole space in there so there won't be any space to store anything else. While the idea is great, it's really not made for a bigger setup. The Pro can hold more in the pouch but then it costs close to $400 for just the backpack and is almost double the size of the Panorama.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter