Think of all the joy you’ll find …….. Update - January 06

logomithgkl_zpsr0ydocuw.jpg
Day 9, August 24

A whole day of sightseeing - Part 4

And after saying our goodbyes we walked back and forth over the Ponte Veccio,

DSC_0516%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie_zps8cd0jzby.jpg

DSC_0518%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie_zps5iykmolu.jpg

IMG_7553_zpsqrhefk2r.jpg

enjoyed some of the views and did some window shopping.

DSC_0515%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie_zpsrlfvpbd6.jpg

DSC_0519%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie_zpssdz7gcft.jpg

After that we headed towards the town center again and passed a Pandora Store.
I really love to have momentos of the cities we go to, so in we went to ask if there were some Florence specific beads. Needless to say there were. I picked the one I liked the most and the saleswoman offered to add it to my bracelet right away. I gave it to her and she called some of the other saleswomen over to show them that my bracelet was a Disney Parks one.
They went kind of crazy over all the Disney beads.
Later, they noticed that I missed some spacers on my new bracelet, so they showed me some they had and we got two as I needed them anyway. Purchases in hand we moved on and it started to drizzle again.

IMG_7554_zpshywsqkbj.jpg

DSC_0522%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie_zpswmgges4q.jpg

We still wanted to find the Disney Store and walked in that direction and after a few more minutes and some looking around we finally found it.

DSC_0524%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie_zpsmxsncild.jpg

Like most of the European Disney Store it was a small store, but it was nicely done. Lots of paintings on the walls and arches in the room

DSC_0525%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie_zps7zuwiljn.jpg

DSC_0527%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie_zpsrrfmt6wp.jpg

DSC_0529%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie_zpsvbvyqmzb.jpg

DSC_0531%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie_zpsd6c7ehzf.jpg

DSC_0532%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie_zpsnnysfww2.jpg

DSC_0533%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie_zpsryjedfxk.jpg

DSC_0534%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie_zpsa6txvuv5.jpg

DSC_0537%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie_zps72okcfan.jpg

DSC_0538%20-%20Kopie_zpsdtei8o78.jpg

DSC_0541%20-%20Kopie_zpsandn965p.jpg

DSC_054220-20Kopie_zpswyehvsod.jpg

DSC_0547_zpsekkxslx3.jpg

DSC_0544%20-%20Kopie_zpsitnmddoo.jpg

DSC_0545%20-%20Kopie_zps4a1kv7xh.jpg

DSC_0546%20-%20Kopie_zpsra4zkyb5.jpg

and they even had some Florence specific merchandise.

DSC_0536%20-%20Kopie%20-%20Kopie_zpsb4defssh.jpg

We picked up a few things and when we got outside it had started to lightly rain again. So, that meant that it was time for us to head back to our apartment. We had the choice of either walking home for about 40 minutes in the rain or head over to the railway station which was about 8 minutes away and use the sightseeing bus to get back to our apartment. The sightseeing bus won. We walked over to the railway station and got in line

IMG_7555_zpsra4oahts.jpg

and within 5 minutes a bus arrived. We did not even bother to go and sit upstairs as by now it had started to rain even more, so we just sat there and waited for the bus to leave. A few minutes later we were on our way. It took about 20 minutes to get to the stop that was closest to La Farina apartments and we got off, stopped for bread at the bakery and headed back to our lovely “home”. We rested for a while, while watching a little TV, then had another “picnic” dinner which yummy things that were hiding in our fridge. We then packed up most of our stuff and took it down to the car, so we would not have to do it all in the morning. Work done we had a well deserved drink out of the fridge

IMG_7556_zpsr4jsee8l.jpg

IMG_7558_zps9boxocto.jpg

and then spent the rest of the evening in front of the TV.

To be continued ..........

Oh my I was many updates behind. I am enjoying everything. All those focaccias looked so yummy! and you already know how much I like the ice cream popcorn:: The water looked so clear I would have had a hard time not going swimming. but like others have said it looks perilous to get down to it!

The Florence pictures are bringing back some memories. I visited there back in 2003. I'm still upset that I didn't see as much of the city as I should have. The friend I was traveling with had her own agenda...

Fun to have a private walking tour, even if it wasn't on purpose.

All the details in the Disney store are too cute.

Oh my I was many updates behind.

You are excused! You have been on vacation! :wave2:

The water looked so clear I would have had a hard time not going swimming. but like others have said it looks perilous to get down to it!

The water had such an awesome colour, but as you said, getting down to it was not all that easy and the whole area was so rocky. Too dangerous for me.

The Florence pictures are bringing back some memories. I visited there back in 2003. I'm still upset that I didn't see as much of the city as I should have.

We had never been to Florence before and we live so close, it is such a shame. But we were pretty happy we stopped there, even though the one full day we had was just not enough. There is lots more to see and we will definitely go back. :thumbsup2

Fun to have a private walking tour, even if it wasn't on purpose.

It was awesome to have the guide to ourselves, he really personalized the tour. We have been so lucky with private tours (by accident or intended) on our travels. :cool1: I guess the tour we are going to share with friends in Cartagena is going to be awesome as well. :goodvibes

All the details in the Disney store are too cute.

Those Disney Stores are tiny, but they sure pack a lot of the towns history Disney style into it. :lmao:

Day 10, August 25

Florence in the morning and Venice in the afternoon - Part 1

When we woke up it was overcast, but the rain had stopped. I got ready and while Tom was taking a shower I went to the little bakery to pick up some Panini for breakfast. Once I was back we laid the table and had a long and nice breakfast.

IMG_7561_zps8vuenmej.jpg

Then it was time to clean up the kitchen and pack up the rest of our stuff which we took down to the car before checking out at around 10am. We had talked about heading to the Piazzale Michelangelo if the weather was fine that day and so we started our drive to that viewpoint above the city. When we arrived we were shocked to see the parking lot shock full.
We drove all around the parking area, but there was nowhere to park our car. So we drove along the street until we found a spot to turn around and started a new search with the same results.
Tom suggested that I got out and took photos while he drove around one more time, but I wanted both of us to enjoy the view. So after a third round around the parking area we decided to try and find a spot to park the car a little further away. And while we were slowly driving along the street we saw the beautiful church on top of the hill and there was a street leading up to it. We turned around at the next possible spot and there was ample parking space halfway up to the church.

DSC_0548_zps0dpbidgq.jpg

We parked and enjoyed the view from up there and then headed up to the church itself.

DSC_0549_zps8ukw1bt8.jpg

There was a small cemetery with lots of marble tombs which we visited before climbing the next few steps up to the church itself.

IMG_7566_zpsxcmtobej.jpg

DSC_0554_zpsb83e7ygu.jpg

DSC_0550_zpslugfvn4c.jpg

DSC_0551_zpswecmiwox.jpg

We entered and it was beautiful.

DSC_0556_zps6ijzosfu.jpg

DSC_0558_zpsa0bcdo77.jpg

DSC_0559_zpsexmnoets.jpg

DSC_0560_zpszizmdeym.jpg

DSC_0561_zpsvfrdpu91.jpg

DSC_0564_zpstpwini8g.jpg

The artwork was stunning and we spent quite some time checking out the whole building including the crypt. I think we must have spent at least 20 minutes exploring. Once we were done we left, slowly walked down the steps and were amazed that you could even see the old city walls from up here.

DSC_0566_zpssaibl7ll.jpg

It was just a short walk to the Piazzale Michelangelo and we soon arrived and the view we were rewarded with was stunning.

DSC_0567_zpsttf0qljc.jpg

DSC_0568_zpssxlzm9zj.jpg

DSC_0569_zpsc1vzylls.jpg

DSC_0574_zpsvuz2whx8.jpg

DSC_0575_zpsifn7fp3u.jpg

DSC_0577_zps0dffcslc.jpg

DSC_0578_zpswnxozvej.jpg

DSC_0579_zpsyovmyphp.jpg

DSC_0580_zps0famifrd.jpg

IMG_7570_zpsrgpktpkg.jpg

IMG_7572_zpseaz17lev.jpg

We spent quite some time walking up and down and taking photos before we decided that it was time to walk back to the car and get going.

Day 10, August 25

Florence in the morning and Venice in the afternoon - Part 2

We spent quite some time walking up and down and taking photos before we decided that it was time to walk back to the car and get going.

DSC_0591_zpsrep70av2.jpg

But before we left the Piazzale we stopped one more time to pick up some ice-cream. There was a small ice-cream stand that offered something I wanted to try,

IMG_7580_zpswjssoe4r.jpg

IMG_7579_zpsomjg4szq.jpg

Crema Florentina. So we picked up a small cup and I tasted it while we walked uphill, back to our car. Hm, that first spoonful was not really the nicest I ever had, but some ice-creams get better the more you try. I tried a second spoonful and it did not get any better, it just tasted horrible. So it was put into the next bin we came across. It took us a little longer to walk up to the church and our car again

DSC_0592_zpswj7dp90o.jpg

DSC_0594_zpsfzolvomf.jpg

DSC_0595_zps3apxwjpg.jpg

DSC_0596_zpsir1mj91h.jpg

and when we had finally made it there we had a drink out of our ice-box before we left. It took about half an hour more until we had left Florence behind us

IMG_7582_zps2vfsi1hj.jpg

and we were now on our way to the last stop of our journey, Venice. The drive on the motorway was uneventful

IMG_7584_zpst1jbuz00.jpg

and we were happy to have ordered a Telepass,

IMG_7585_zps18qxyuin.jpg

which let us drive through all the toll stations without stopping. We arrived in Mestre shortly before 3pm

IMG_7590_zpsbbnse0da.jpg

IMG_7592_zps0stwwxns.jpg

IMG_7595_zpsowu3ojxc.jpg

and only had to cross the long bridge to get into Venice. When we came close to the end of the bridge we hit the traffic jam. There are several parking garages when you first arrive in Venice and they are kind of the end of the road. So now we were stuck as it can take quite some time until the cars are parked around that time of day. It took us about 25 minutes and we had reached our destination, the hotel Ca Doge, which even offered a reduced parking rate for hotel guests. There were two cars in front of us trying to get into their parking area,

DSC_0597_zpsardnjduo.jpg

so I got out and headed over to the hotel entrance. And it was closed. So I rang the bell, but nothing happened. I tried the door again and no, it would not open. Rang the bell again and nothing happened. By now, Tom was sitting in the entrance of the parking area and I walked over and finally someone arrived and told us that check in was closed for a few minutes as someone had fainted in the parking area and they were taking care of the emergency. Okay, that’s fine with me. Didn’t take more than a few minutes and a very friendly receptionist arrived and told me to follow her to check in. And another few minutes later all the paper work was done and we were just waiting for a maid to separate the beds in our room. The only thing that bugged me a bit was that you had to hand over your car keys and we had planned on leaving all our stuff in the car and only take the carry-ons and computers with us. So, while we had to wait anyway we talked to one of the parking attendants and they told us that cars that were parked here overnight would be put up on the upper level of the stack garage, there was CCTV and the doors would be closed overnight, needless to say that cars on upper levels would be locked and the keys be put in the office. Okay, that worked fine for us and we removed everything we would need for the night’s stay and took it up to the room with us. It was a beautiful room. There were heavy beams on the ceiling and the furniture fit in perfectly.

IMG_7600_zpsvul8jvtn.jpg

IMG_7614_zpsiprz7fsi.jpg

IMG_7612_zpspw1np2az.jpg

IMG_7605_zpsatsqi50k.jpg

The room itself was pretty small but we were in awe when we found out that our room even had a tiny balcony.

IMG_7606_zpsqgytsy9k.jpg

IMG_7608_zpszrpdirwe.jpg

The bathroom had a huge shower with a large rainshower head and all different nozzles all around the sides.

IMG_7597_zpsfkwyjbvf.jpg

IMG_7598_zpsdgimo2en.jpg

The whole room was done in marble and looked like it was taken right out of a magazine. So after exploring the room we freshened up a little bit and then headed out into Venice. It was an absolutely beautiful day and we followed our usual route into Venice.

DSC_0599_zpspo0nn4ae.jpg

DSC_0601_zpsyul2e7ge.jpg

There were lots of people in the streets and we even ran into a few newly wed couples.

DSC_0602_zpsjheo1wcu.jpg

DSC_0603_zpsxinln8q4.jpg

DSC_0604_zpsehfb7jwt.jpg

DSC_0605_zpstxbltxia.jpg

DSC_0606_zpszzvgcvze.jpg

IMG_7618_zpszhommuqc.jpg

DSC_0608_zpsnpmfm6hc.jpg

DSC_0609_zpsftjcq8l8.jpg

About 20 minutes into our walk we found a small restaurant and decided to stop for a quick lunch.

Day 10, August 25

Florence in the morning and Venice in the afternoon - Part 3

About 20 minutes into our walk we found a small restaurant and decided to stop for a quick lunch.
We found a cozy table inside and ordered

IMG_7622_zpskwwthlqy.jpg

a glass of red wine for Tom and

IMG_7621_zps33upp3lg.jpg

a glass of Pinot Grigio for myself and

IMG_7620_zpsvijth4kv.jpg

IMG_7623_zpscsahunxp.jpg

a bottle of water for us to share. We had a look at the menu and I decided on ordering a plate of

IMG_7625_zpspfxa8yix.jpg

IMG_7624_zpsehncdbmd.jpg

Mozzarella and tomatoes, while Tom ordered a

IMG_7627_zpsnrsxv121.jpg

grilled prosciutto sandwich. It took a while to come out, but we were very happy when our lunch was served. We sat and chilled for quite some time until we went on with our walk

DSC_0611_zpsrg2tnnju.jpg

IMG_7629_zpsezls9b9x.jpg

DSC_0614_zpsbofgnlqd.jpg

DSC_0616_zpsk5oqazuv.jpg

DSC_0617_zpssclqacqm.jpg

and soon we made it to the Rialto Bridge. Most of it was hidden behind scaffolding but the shops were still open and we did a bit of window shopping. We did a bit more than window shopping once we had reached the other end of the bridge and the Disney Store.

DSC_0620_zpssj4w0bgt.jpg

And after picking up a few more items we walked all the way to St. Mark’s Square.

DSC_0624_zpskr9uswpq.jpg

DSC_0626_zps8msqftli.jpg

DSC_0632_zps6tdvevbb.jpg

DSC_0631_zps3nq6qgnf.jpg

DSC_0633_zpsfjiwid5h.jpg

There were lots of tourists around, but it was still easily manageable. Our next stop was the bridge of sighs. There is another bridge that lets you have a lovely view of it and with gondolas going through it was really a nice photo spot.

IMG_7639_zpsd1zosi6b.jpg

DSC_0639_zpsvr7czxba.jpg

We were thinking about walking back, but then decided against it and bought tickets for the vaporetto, a water-bus.
Many other tourists had the same idea, so there were loads of people in line and we missed the first one. But we got onto the second one which was packed with people.

DSC_0643_zpsusjot7kj.jpg

The trip up the Canale Grande takes quite some time

DSC_0641_zps1rknd4uy.jpg

DSC_0645_zpsttrrdby5.jpg

DSC_0650_zpsbh3uhxkl.jpg

DSC_0647_zpspez3oxqj.jpg

DSC_0651_zpsugzqi4k1.jpg

from St. Mark’s Square and we were lucky to finally find some seats after about 20 minutes being squished in by lots of other travelers. Finally we made it to our destination and got off the ship.
It was just a short walk over to our hotel and we rested a bit in our room. We both took showers and the marble tiles were pretty slippery. After that we watched a little TV and enjoyed some down time. Around 7pm we headed out again, this time in search of some dinner. We walked towards the same area we had been before and tried to find a restaurant that tickled our fancy. We walked past a few of them, but then we came across one that looked inviting and we asked for a table. Getting a table was not the problem, we were quickly seated at a small two top behind a wall, but the owner and only one help were doing all the service. They worked hard, but since they had to do the salads and make the pizzas as well, it took some time for drinks and food to come out. Tom and I had ordered some Diet Cokes and were now waiting for our pizzas to get done. It took a lot longer than we had expected for them to be served. Tom had an

IMG_7642_zpsb5t3onlo.jpg

IMG_7643_zpsfk5rfwsl.jpg

Anchovis and Salami Pizza, while I had ordered a

IMG_7640_zpsrvmhfpoo.jpg

IMG_7641_zps34hkec2n.jpg

Capriciosa Pizza and we enjoyed them once they had reached our table. It took quite some time again to be able to pay the bill and then we headed outside again.

IMG_7644_zps3bmboakf.jpg

It had started to lightly rain again and we did not waste much time heading back to our hotel. We were both tired and relaxed on the beds, watching TV until we fell asleep.

Day 11, August 26

On the way back home … - Part 1

We were up early again. Tom made some tea and we had a cup, then we went to have showers. Tom let me go first, as I still needed to wash my hair. I was pretty careful not to slip on the marble tiles and when I was done I realized that I had not put my towel by the door. I carefully opened the door, leaned out and my feet started to slide. There was no way to prevent it, I slid along the tiles until I reached the bottom. It must have been quite the noise as Tom came rushing to the door. I could not even answer, as I was laughing that hard. And the whole accident left a nice black and blue souvenir on my thigh where I had scraped along the shower door.
A few minutes later I was out of the bathroom still laughing and advising Tom to be extra careful in the shower. :rotfl2:
Once we were both ready we went down to the breakfast room. The hotel is fairly small and we were wondering where there was room enough for a breakfast room, so we asked at reception and were told to just walk over to the building next door and that was where we found the breakfast room. It was bigger than we had expected for that size of a hotel and there was more than enough to choose from.

IMG_7645_zps34ffpe6b.jpg

IMG_7646_zpsd3xfm3cv.jpg

IMG_7650_zpsxzg9h2eo.jpg

We both had two plates. My first plate had

IMG_7647_zpszq4jjpsu.jpg

salami, cheese and butter and a Panini, Tom’s first plate had

IMG_7648_zpsc0rgpnrb.jpg

the same, plus some extra spreadable cheese. Tom’s second plate had

IMG_7651_zpskotmoyi1.jpg

more salami and cheese, another spread and a hard boiled egg. I had chosed an old favourite,

IMG_7652_zps3ac7jvdj.jpg

a Panini, butter and Nutella. We really enjoyed our breakfast a lot. We had until 11.30 to leave our room,

DSC_0653_zpsldtst9by.jpg

DSC_0654_zpsijqqgsoh.jpg

IMG_7656_zpsvw0fnkhp.jpg

IMG_7657_zpsykyx7vyr.jpg

so we went for another walk. This time we took a different route

DSC_0656_zpsdypgevjp.jpg

IMG_7658_zpsusdkzbq6.jpg

IMG_7659_zpscpuvgkgh.jpg

IMG_7661_zpsscbvbnfp.jpg

and soon found ourselves in empty little streets with Venetians who were on their way to work.

IMG_7662_zpstgimfec5.jpg

DSC_0657_zpszjanxx71.jpg

IMG_7663_zps5pnbdzmk.jpg

IMG_7666_zpsli06dodt.jpg

It was a nice quiet walk and we were quite happy with it. And after so many turns and crossing little bridges

IMG_7668_zpsrhd09d65.jpg

we finally found ourselves at the Fish Market.

IMG_7669_zpsz0qcb0iv.jpg

DSC_0659_zpsamqmm4sn.jpg

DSC_0660_zpswtn0koji.jpg

Tom loves that kind of thing and we took our time to explore the market.

DSC_0661_zpstydzeghj.jpg

DSC_0662_zpsok0xn7yv.jpg

DSC_0665_zpsuekzdqax.jpg

DSC_0669_zpsjepeokha.jpg

DSC_0670_zpsgj2hngcz.jpg

We walked further on and ended up on the Fruit and Vegetable Market. It was one colourful array of things

DSC_0663_zpsrcbwcb3b.jpg

DSC_0664_zpsudk6jgpp.jpg

DSC_0666_zpsxy8mnqcr.jpg

DSC_0667_zps14giwlwk.jpg

DSC_0668_zpsyp9pudsj.jpg

and we could not help ourselves but buy a few things. Bags heavy we walked to one of the Vaporetto stops, but there was nowhere to buy a ticket, so we decided to just walk back to the hotel.

Day 11, August 26

On the way back home … - Part 2

Bags heavy we walked to one of the Vaporetto stops, but there was nowhere to buy a ticket, so we decided to just walk back to the hotel.
It was a nice leisurely walk

DSC_0672_zpsj2p1qwup.jpg

IMG_7673_zpsacndxkdd.jpg

IMG_7670_zpsn3snrbfe.jpg

IMG_7674_zps3nnx95fj.jpg

and when we passed one of the gelaterias, I got myself a small cup of

IMG_7676_zpssyebuidt.jpg

Cassata ice-cream. We sat on a bench opposite a church and I enjoyed my ice-cream.

DSC_0675_zpsa7rsr102.jpg

But then it was time to really make a move on and head back to the hotel.

IMG_7678_zpsvtr8j86v.jpg

IMG_7680_zpso89nlums.jpg

We got all our carry-ons and went down to the garage, where our car was already parked at the exit. So we just loaded our stuff in, tipped the parking attendant, got in and off we went. Soon we had left Venice

IMG_7681_zpswp7wk2jx.jpg

and found ourselves on the motorway.

IMG_7682_zpskozphlny.jpg

We made great progress and when we got close to Latisana we decided that we had enough time to drive towards Lignano, as one of our favourite restaurants is on that street. Soon we stopped there and headed inside. Since it was a weekday there were just a few guests there

IMG_7690_zpstfltp6xu.jpg

IMG_7689_zpsjmbvdpin.jpg

so we were sure lunch would not take to long. But then after a glance at the menu we knew we were in for a longer break. They had some yummy things on the menu and so Tom ordered the

IMG_7692_zpstobtgzuv.jpg

IMG_7693_zps5dbwxn6i.jpg

Cozze alla Tarantina, mussels in hot tomato broth, while I ordered the

IMG_7694_zpsixdukt7j.jpg

Lasagna al Forno, the meat lasagna. They were both really good and quite large portions. But we still had ordered a fish for our main course. Tom had ordered a

IMG_7698_zpsrwsgrqxc.jpg

IMG_7703_zpsfsv3bemo.jpg

Branzino, which came with a side of Polenta and a

IMG_7696_zpscs7p4oac.jpg

Mixed Salad. The whole fish looked mighty big and even after it had been fileted there was more than enough of it on Tom’s plate. My choice had been the whole

IMG_7697_zpsjflxhheg.jpg

IMG_7701_zpsboi8hjn8.jpg

Sole, which was very yummy. We both worked hard, but neither of us was able to completely finish the fish. So, there was no way we would be able to fit in some dessert and we just paid the bill and headed back outside. On the way to the restaurant we had seen several farmers who had little booths next to their farms from where they sold vegetables and farm products. We stopped at one and got a whole watermelon, some baby zucchini, tomatoes and some cheese. Shopping done it was now really time to head home. Soon we were back on the motorway and driving towards the border to Austria.

IMG_7705_zpstyy1qxu0.jpg

IMG_7706_zpsufgpad9p.jpg

IMG_7708_zpstfua2t88.jpg

The motorway winds between the mountains and the views are really pretty

IMG_7712_zpsfy2fam3w.jpg

IMG_7713_zpsnfchl59s.jpg

IMG_7715_zps68oi6zj0.jpg

and soon we had crossed the border

IMG_7718_zpsolygihqx.jpg

IMG_7721_zpsabg1tn0v.jpg

and were back in our home country. It was a beautiful day for driving and the traffic was pretty light, so we made good progress.
We stopped one more time to fill up the car and pick up a

IMG_7722_zpsq7qqgxgc.jpg

coffee drink for Tom and an ice-cream cone for myself. Then we drove for another four hours

IMG_7723_zpsbrsdinh8.jpg

IMG_7729_zpswctgzt6e.jpg

IMG_7728_zpsfun2cvjg.jpg

IMG_7731_zpsc5xj5qpb.jpg

until we reached our home town and finally our home, where we unpacked the car and settled into every day life again.

FINALLY DONE!!!

What a great trip! I read along on my phone the whole time and I hate commenting from my phone, but I fear if I don't comment now, I'll never remember!

I don't know why I was surprised when you were in Florence, you kept saying Florence but I was confusing Florence with Verona, so I was surprised when you were showing the Duomo and the Ponte Vecchio instead of the stadium and Romeo and Julie balcony. :rotfl2: I love Venice and would love to visit there again someday.

What did the awful gelato taste like? That's very scary about you falling in the shower! I'm glad you weren't hurt! How neat to take such an exotic vacation within driving rage from home.

What a great trip!

I was so heartbroken when we had to cancel last years summer trip, which was to include a b2b on the Fantasy with friends. It took me a long time to come up with something here in Europe, especially since we did not want to fly somewhere.
Then I remembered how much we had loved the Cinque Terre and it took off from there. In the end it turned out to be a very memorable trip for all the right reasons. We are already thinking about repeating the trip.

I don't know why I was surprised when you were in Florence, you kept saying Florence but I was confusing Florence with Verona, so I was surprised when you were showing the Duomo and the Ponte Vecchio instead of the stadium and Romeo and Julie balcony. :rotfl2: I love Venice and would love to visit there again someday.

Verona and Milan are still on my list. I have been to Milan when I was young but I would really like to go back.
Venice is so close to where we usually go to Italy for, for a long weekend. It's a 70 minute drive and we always visit when we are there. It IS a beautiful city and there is always something new to discover.
We have never noticed the many cruise ships, but they look a bit out of place when going out at sea.

What did the awful gelato taste like?

I have a very light lactose intolerance (I can have little doses, but bigger quantities don't sit well with me ;)) and I really want milk and milk products super fresh. Now that ice-cream tasted like milk that was off and I mean really off.

That's very scary about you falling in the shower! I'm glad you weren't hurt!

It would not have been so "funny" had I not warned Tom numerous times to be careful in there. And then when I fell, it was like i was watching myself fall in slow motion. I was already laughing before I hit the floor. And yes, I was pretty lucky I was not hurt apart from the bruise.

How neat to take such an exotic vacation within driving rage from home.

It actually made us realize how beautiful and full of history Europe is. Sometimes you don't see what's right in front of your nose, because you want other things so much more (WDW, DL ...)

Now that I have FINALLY finished my TR inside my TR - I really want to finish Tom's birthday trip report. Especially since we leave in exactly 4 weeks for our next trip to WDW.

I will repost the part of the day I had started before we left for our summer trip, so you might remember where we were at.

15birthday_zpsp2vlztl5.jpg

Day 5, April 1

A Taste of George Town - Part 1

We woke up at around 7am and got right up and ready to head to the top deck. We walked around a bit,

IMG_5407_zpsdllhscgk.jpg

IMG_5409_zpseah0q2hr.jpg

IMG_5410_zpslmnr8uiw.jpg

IMG_5411_zpsafw5jjit.jpg

IMG_5412_zpshnjwqacf.jpg

IMG_5413_zpsqpfdxmun.jpg

IMG_5415_zpsusql3kw8.jpg

IMG_5417_zpsqbwjcz21.jpg

IMG_5418_zpswkuwsrff.jpg

IMG_5419_zpsj8loporf.jpg

IMG_5420_zps00otxbxa.jpg

IMG_5421_zpshry6pt7l.jpg

then headed to the front

IMG_5422_zpsaygj00i7.jpg

and found a nice spot to watch the ship drop anchor at Grand Cayman.

IMG_5423_zpsjz1skbzb.jpg

IMG_5426_zpsnjgezcfg.jpg

IMG_5427_zpswyjn8xjd.jpg

And while we got closer we could see a few other ships already in the bay. We crept closer and closer and finally it was time for a crew member to raise the Disney Cruise Line flag.

IMG_5429_zpsmykhpjyi.jpg

IMG_5430_zpsfkau58fx.jpg

IMG_5431_zpse4nvcyoq.jpg

IMG_5432_zpsxe6t0gp3.jpg

And while we watched we say quite a few tenders going by and one ship even tendering their guests in what looked like lifeboats.

IMG_5433_zpse9hrn9uz.jpg

There were tenders coming in and people were leaving to head to the D-Lounge to check in for their excursions. We were in no hurry as we had not booked a DCL excursion and knew that we would have to wait until people on a DCL excursion had been tendered ashore.

Day 5, April 1

A Taste of George Town - Part 2

We were in no hurry as we had not booked a DCL excursion and knew that we would have to wait until people on a DCL excursion had been tendered ashore.
So we just strolled back to our stateroom to drop off our cameras and it was already made up. Nothing better than to come back to our stateroom and find it nice and clean. Perfect stateroom host to say the least. Quick restroom break and we were ready to head to Lumiere’s for breakfast.
Lumiere’s was pretty empty and we were quickly led to a table and served

IMG_5434_zpsv3zank32.jpg

IMG_5435_zpsgwqpzyzx.jpg

IMG_5437_zpsn8ogqc5v.jpg

IMG_5438_zpsf6j5qppr.jpg

coffee and orange juice. Today we stuck with our favourites and were happy to order a hearty breakfast. Soon our trusted starters, the

IMG_5442_zpsj8pe7cta.jpg

Swiss Bircher Muesli, Muesli with Raisins, Shredded Apples and Yogurt and the

IMG_5439_zps6vpshtgg.jpg

IMG_5440_zpsktra4nir.jpg

Mornin’ Tug Boat, fresh blend of Strawberries, Bananas, Almonds, Raisin Granola and Low-fat Yogurt arrived. Once we had cleared our bowl and glass it was quickly taken away and our main breakfast course arrived. No surprise there, we had both opted for the

IMG_5444_zpsryocrxnw.jpg

IMG_5446_zpsv8vsin5n.jpg

Traditional Eggs Benedict, Toasted English Muffin with Grilled Canadian Bacon served with Poached Egg and topped with Hollandaise Sauce. Breakfast heaven.
About half an hour after we had entered Lumiere’s we said goodbye to our servers and went to the elevator and up to our room. By now we thought it would be safe to head to the Buena Vista Theatre for a tender ticket, so we changed, got our things together and walked downstairs. When we arrived at the theatre they asked if we were on a tour and since we were not we were handed a tender ticket

IMG_5447_zpsbcpequhj.jpg

and ordered to step aside for a second. It really took only a second, as a crew member was just taking a group of people downstairs to the tender and we were told to just go along with them.
Yeah, that was easy.
We got onto the next tender and were soon on our way.

IMG_5448_zps2m8tcazg.jpg

It takes only a few minutes and soon we arrived at Grand Cayman. And after getting of the tender we just walked around and did some window shopping as we still had over an hour’s time to kill.

IMG_5449_zpsfzszskqk.jpg

IMG_5451_zpsqgi67vwn.jpg

IMG_5452_zps8eqilj9z.jpg

So after visiting the Tortuga shop, a liquor store, several other stores that sold clothes and a peek into Del Sol we headed toward the ray sculpture fountain and a little market.

IMG_5457_zpsuan3pk7i.jpg

And after checking it out we decided that since we still had quite some time and were thirsty to try out the restaurant/bar, the Paradise Seaside Grill, that was across the street, directly at the water.
We walked over, asked if it was okay to only order a drink and were then taken to a small table right at the water’s edge. We had an awesome view of the Magic

IMG_5455_zpsoei9kzki.jpg

IMG_5453_zpspxjazuw0.jpg

and some of the other ships that were anchored in the bay. There was also what looked like a little yellow “island” which belonged to a diving school.

IMG_5460_zps6cue7l4h.jpg

The server had handed us a menu and we were deciding on what to try. Their

IMG_5463_zpsxnpdcnkc.jpg

IMG_5468_zpskyghjbla.jpg

Strawberry Mudslide, Irish Cream, Vodka and Kahlua with a good amount of strawberries mixed in sounded very interesting to me and Tom wanted to try a

IMG_5465_zpsyiixw9op.jpg

IMG_5469_zps1lzykjjr.jpg

Sharkarita, a mixture of Tequila, Triple Sec, Sweet & Sour and Cranberry Juice. We ordered a

IMG_5467_zpsd4wh7fck.jpg

bottle of water as well, as we were really thirsty too and soon all our drinks arrived. They looked pretty yummy and even yummier when photographed against the backdrop of the Disney Magic. And now it proved helpful that we had had a rather opulent breakfast, as both drinks were pretty strong. We sat for quite some time before settling our bill and with only 5 minutes to spare we made it to our destination, a small church right opposite the restaurant.

Day 5, April 1

A Taste of George Town - Part 3

We sat for quite some time before settling our bill and with only 5 minutes to spare we made it to our destination, a small church right opposite the restaurant. There we met the rest of our small group and the guide of today’s tour, “A Taste of Georgetown”. The guide introduced herself as Allison

IMG_5478_zpsghdr4ihu.jpg

and told us what was to come before we all introduced ourselves as well and then we were off to our first destination and our first sample of Georgetown food. It was not far to walk as Guy Harvey’s restaurant was just a few steps down the road.
We were all led upstairs and there was a table set for us on the patio and we were quickly served some ice water while Allison explained what we were to taste,

IMG_5470_zpsdfdkxuxj.jpg

IMG_5472_zpsirwiydsi.jpg

Red Snapper Cayman Style, which was Pan seared Red Snapper over a bed over roasted peppers in a mild sauce, rice and beans and fried plantain. Allison had explained that the portions would be small but they were enough to get a taste of the island cuisine, it was delicious. The skin of the snapper was crisp and the actual flesh was moist, the peppers were super tasty and while rice and beans on their own were a bit underwhelming, eaten with the peppers it was perfect.
And the fried plantain was just wonderful. It was the first time I had tried one and I really liked it. While sitting and eating Allison told us more about the island and how some of it came to be and how their food culture had developed before we said our goodbyes to the restaurant and headed outside again. We all followed Allison down the road and finally into a small souvenir shop.
Allison laughed as we all tried to figure out what we were to see or eat there, but she then took us to a glass covered area in the floor

IMG_5474_zpsnzz8fxws.jpg

IMG_5476_zpsx8ie9gax.jpg

and explained that one of the first wells was right underneath our feet. Photos done we moved on past the ray fountain again

IMG_5477_zpsxyt2zfat.jpg

and over to a small building at the crossroads which was protected as it was very old.

IMG_5479_zpsdpgx7usk.jpg

IMG_5480_zpscdxchn1h.jpg

IMG_5481_zpsftycnz8n.jpg

IMG_5482_zps3kwbcmkz.jpg

IMG_5483_zpsha7x8pjm.jpg

IMG_5484_zpsaxngxk4z.jpg

Allison went inside and then opened up the booth

IMG_5485_zpsjyvf2yi0.jpg

and we were to try another speciality of the islands,

IMG_5486_zps6w3audsr.jpg

Hot Pepper Jelly. We had seen it many times before, but never cared to try it or to even think about it and now we got to try it there.
Allison had put out Carr’s Water Biscuits, the jelly and some “flower” tea (I think it was Hibiscus) for all of us to try. We tried the tea first, but I am very picky with my tea and it was not really my taste, then when it was our turn, we both picked up a water biscuit and with the little spoon we put some of the jelly on top and tried it. It was really good, mild first, but then the heat kicked in. A great accompaniment for cheese. It was so good, we went back for seconds. Allison told us that they sold the jelly in the little shop and to come back later if someone wanted to buy some. We were sure we would come back for some.
And while Allison closed up the shop again we had time to enjoy and take photos of the beautiful flowers all around.

IMG_5487_zpszeuyoqxa.jpg

IMG_5488_zps0bzkcc3c.jpg

IMG_5489_zpsvfmtdskn.jpg

Soon we found ourselves on the move again

IMG_5490_zpsp0knjcwv.jpg

IMG_5491_zpshozlnqkz.jpg

and our next stop was the Post Office.

IMG_5492_zpsln6v37fo.jpg

IMG_5495_zpsxv547xw5.jpg

IMG_5494_zpsrdtjnvyk.jpg

IMG_5493_zps88iqrz8j.jpg

They do not allow photography inside, but the architect had been in the marine and all his buildings reflected ships in some kind of the way and this building was no different. The ceiling looked very much like an upside down ship, very beautiful. Sightseeing done in there, we walked on.

Day 5, April 1

A Taste of George Town - Part 4

Sightseeing done in there, we walked on. We walked away from the busy main street onto the back streets

IMG_5504_zpstydouhq4.jpg

and finally came to another unique eatery, Singh’s Roti Shop.

IMG_5503_zpsuvowpdst.jpg

Would we have been on our own, we would not in a million years have gone inside, but here we were on a food tour. They had set up two tables that were pushed together for us and we all took seats in the plastic garden chairs, waiting for things to come. First off, Allison brought out small cups of a

IMG_5496_zpsiu967pxs.jpg

locally brewed beer. I don’t drink beer, so Tom got a double dose and while it was not the best beer he has ever tasted, it was quite nice and refreshing. Next we were served a

IMG_5497_zpshx5ahmg5.jpg

IMG_5502_zpsbmego3i2.jpg

Roti, an Indian flatbread, filled with various things, and folded together into a little parcel. We were served three different sauces with it, a

IMG_5500_zps7wfgna09.jpg

Mango based, pretty sweet, rather runny one, a

IMG_5499_zpslgr58s0o.jpg

Tamarind sauce, which was rather on the “dry” side and a hotter yellow pepper sauce. We put a little bit onto our plates

IMG_5501_zpsi5qa4sdz.jpg

and I tasted each of them just like they were. The Mango one was a bit too sweet for my liking, the Tamarind one was my least favourite, it tasted a bit bitter and the yellow pepper one was my favourite, rather harsh and hot, but it tasted really nice with the roti. We had the Vegetarian Special Roti, Pumpkin, Spinach and Potato. It was nice but a little under seasoned for my taste, but with the hot sauce it was just perfect. There was time for a restroom break for some and once everyone was ready to leave we started to walk back to a more lively area of Georgetown. Allison led us to Heroes Square

IMG_5505_zps68hcroot.jpg

IMG_5507_zpszwxr1hem.jpg

IMG_5510_zpsm31fzops.jpg

IMG_5511_zpsbmxnfh8r.jpg

and told us all about the brave people whose monument we were looking at. And after exploring the square we walked towards our next food tasting. We stopped at the Tortuga Rum Company where we had a few minutes to look around while Allison and an employee prepared our tasting portions. We were served some

IMG_5512_zpswvg23oot.jpg

rum punch and a sample of the rum they sold plus everyone got to try half a beef pasty and a whole rum cake. And while I was still munching away I remembered that when I had booked the tour I had read that “though the portions are just tasting size you will not walk away hungry”.
How true that was.
After we had finished our feast we moved on again, walking past a tile mural

IMG_5513_zpszmgnpw23.jpg

that had all the important dates of Grand Cayman embedded in the artwork. We had one more food stop ahead of us, but before we reached it we stopped and looked inside a small church which had been designed by the same architect that had designed the Post Office. And indeed you could see his touch on the inside of the church.

IMG_5514_zps76jdoyd6.jpg

IMG_5516_zps3n1qg3gm.jpg

Our last stop of the day was an Italian Restaurant, Casanova’s, which was important to the Georgetown, Grand Cayman community because of its way to help the community.
We could see the restaurant, which sits right at the beach from afar

IMG_5517_zpsg2pqvu2p.jpg

and when we walked closer we could even see the fishmarket, which was two tables underneath two tents by the side of the road.

IMG_5518_zps78dqtqwd.jpg

IMG_5519_zpsw1dgascc.jpg

And finally we had reached the last stop of our tour.

Day 5, April 1

A Taste of George Town - Part 5

And finally we had reached the last stop of our tour.

IMG_5527_zpsirrsrckd.jpg

Inside the restaurant

IMG_5520_zpsrrebljv4.jpg

we were led to a nicely decked out table where we all sat down. Soon we were offered some ice water and some

IMG_5521_zpshgtiphpi.jpg

crusty Italian bread and some olive oil to dip it in. And while Allison was still talking about the restaurant’s history and importance to the community we were served a small, but very tasty portion of

IMG_5522_zps6rani84r.jpg

IMG_5524_zpso6vsusxd.jpg

Pasta Contadina, Penne Pasta with tender strips of chicken, fresh mushrooms, cream and touch of Pesto sauce, topped with freshly grated Parmesan. And there was still a dessert waiting for us, a wonderful

IMG_5523_zps6qtwffnn.jpg

IMG_5526_zpsyrjtn3b6.jpg

Tiramisu, Ladyfingers dipped in coffee, layered with light and fluffy Mascarpone cream and flavoured with cocoa.
It was delicious and since Tom does not like Tiramisu I got double the treat. Some of the other members of our group were a bit in a hurry as one couple in particular needed to be back on board in ¾ of an hour, so we said our goodbyes, chatted with Allison a bit more and finally said goodbye to her and headed outside.
We did a little bit of shopping, Tom had seen a liquor he had wanted to purchase, we stopped at Del Sol and a jewellery store where we got a Grand Cayman Pandora pendant for my bracelet and finally picked up some of that Hot Pepper Jelly, then walked through the shopping mall again before heading back to our pier.
While walking towards Disney’s tenders we had to walk past a line of other cruisers and would you believe it, our tour mates were still in line. Turns out that there was only one boat, the “lifeboat” going back and forth and they were way past their “all aboard” time and so were quite a few people behind them. We chatted while they stood and waited before we said goodbye and wished them a pleasant rest of their cruise before heading over to our pier. When we arrived the well loved tent and drinks dispensers greeted us

IMG_5529_zpscejzlsqh.jpg

and we picked up a cup of pineapple water, which was nice, cold and refreshing. Cup emptied and put in the bin we just walked onto our tender without any waiting at all and were on our way back to the Disney Magic again. From the ship we could still see the people in line for the "lifeboat" and were so happy to be on the Magic.

IMG_5531_zpsnttjhynw.jpg

IMG_5533_zpshlcx6dqw.jpg

Soon the boat docked alongside the Disney Magic

IMG_5535_zpsp3ln6j6t.jpg

IMG_5536_zpsvsmbk82k.jpg

and people started to get back on board. We sat in our seats on the lower deck until most people had cleared and then just walked up and onto the ship. Our belongings went through the scanner and soon we were in the elevator up to deck 7. When we returned to our room our host had gotten rid of the “little mess” we had made before we had left the ship and we could not believe how much better the service was this time compared to our last cruise. We both took showers, then went to sit outside on the veranda

IMG_5540_zpsi9h45eom.jpg

with an adult beverage,

IMG_5538_zpsdfrz4rzf.jpg

IMG_5543_zpsrqsogx4u.jpg

some new beer for Tom and I was sipping the Prosecco. Tonight’s show was Villains Tonight, which we have already seen and do not like that much to repeat it. We were a bit tired after all the walking around in the sun and dinner was over 2 hours away, so we thought about not going to dinner at all and just order room service, but then we remembered that Cabanas was an option as well. So after a while up we went to Cabanas,

IMG_5545_zpsoplij5e8.jpg

where we were greeted and led to a nice little table. Our server and assistant server introduced themselves and soon we were served our Diet Cokes and a

IMG_5547_zpstvg6n40m.jpg

breadbasket and some

IMG_5548_zpsnql7mixh.jpg

Mint Yogurt Dip was placed in front of us. I remembered not liking the Dip previously, but tried anyway and I had remembered correctly.
Didn’t like it, so while Tom braved it, I stuck with butter. Soon our starters arrived. I had ordered the

IMG_5549_zpstzfhtrjd.jpg

Princess Madeleine Salmon Royal, marinated slices of Salmon with Honey Mustard Dressing. Tom tried a soup,

IMG_5550_zpsb4sjt1x6.jpg

The Beast’s Potato and Sausage Casserole Soup, a hearty recipe with a touch of Paprika. Both were really nice and soon after we had finished them, we were brought our main courses,

IMG_5551_zpsuqn9gc10.jpg

IMG_5552_zpsadbtl6tj.jpg

grilled New York Strip, served with seasonal vegetables and

IMG_5553_zpslx1z2rx9.jpg

IMG_5555_zpsygblg3wj.jpg

Steak Fries. The server insisted we needed some ketchup and again we were served

IMG_5554_zpsgf4qkwmk.jpg

three blobs of ketchup in the form of a Mickey Head. Both steaks were perfectly cooked and very nice, the veggies were fresh and still had a bit of bite to it and you cannot go wrong with fries. There was nothing on the dessert menu that we really wanted, so after our mains we packed up our stuff and left after tipping our serving team.
We walked outside and past the soft serve ice cream machine and in the spur of the moment decided that this was the perfect dessert.

IMG_5557_zpsxls5cj5i.jpg

I cannot remember what the flavour was, but it was a bit on the runny side and we quickly finished our cones. We picked up two cups of ice each on the way back to our stateroom to fill up the ice-bucket and when we returned, we found the beds turned down and a funny new towel animal.

IMG_5558_zpsrpafgllf.jpg

IMG_5560_zps2wlwzudk.jpg

And after a little while Tom took out the laptop and we watched a few episodes of Hell’s Kitchen, while sampling some of the sweet and salty treats we had found in our fish extender so far and some nice cold beverages out of the fridge.

IMG_5561_zpsowgrsj8d.jpg

And when we started to fall asleep while watching Gordon shout at his kitchen brigade we knew it was time to finally call it a day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter