Think of all the joy you’ll find …….. Update - January 06

I loved Grand Cayman I remember doing the Turtle Farm tour and HELL

We did that same tour some years ago and while it was nice we did not want to repeat it. ;)

DSC_0178_zpsf865dfba.jpg

Even has a PO that stamps your mail from HELL!!!

DSC_0173_zpsd4eeb00e.jpg

DSC_0175_zps0a0faac7.jpg

See, I have the photos to prove it. :rotfl2:

We also took a tour that stopped at Hell on the way to the Turtle Farm. Not really that impressive, but we had fun.

We did like the rock formations, but were not really impressed with the Turtle Farm. Might have been different if we had brought kids, but it was just not what we were interested in.

I'm glad you got some serious trip planning done for the Italy trip. Sounds like you found the perfect beach place to stay.

I never thought I needed to give it so much thought, but now I am pretty happy with what we have. Not even two more weeks until we leave - it is coming up quickly. Guess I will take a gazillion photos again to share with you guys. :goodvibes

What a gorgeous morning on the deck of the ship. It looks so perfectly peaceful and calming

It was beautiful and a far better experience than what we had had the previous year. :thumbsup2

Glad you got your hotels for Italy sorted. Sounds like you found some good ones!

When I first booked we had different priorities, now that we know that the US is out of the race this summer I needed to rethink some of the hotels. Pretty happy with them right now and with our plans so far. Now, if only the weather cooperates. ;)

I need to come visit you and try real strudel! I just got a Lufthansa credit card so I'm planning on earning those miles for a ticket!

You HAVE TO come to Austria. There is FAR more than just strudel to try and we have all different varieties of strudel too.
I love my Lufthansa CC card - one of the best decisions ever to get this one.

All you Key Lime items make me crave it, and I've never craved Key Lime before! Need to make this one for sure by the time Summer is up.

I just love everything and anything lemon or lime. Yum yum yum! And going to Key West, you cannot miss Key Lime products. :goodvibes

And now we know they were using it for decor! :rotfl:

That is exactly what I said! :rotfl2:

And I'm so jealous about your Italy trip, BTW!

And I am so jealous that you live in CA. It is such a beautiful place to live.
Italy is just a neighbour here. ;)

I've been to Vienna and Salzburg. I'm hoping to get another trip in the next couple of years. I plan to look you up!

Jill in CO

15birthday_zpsp2vlztl5.jpg

Day 5, April 1

A Taste of George Town - Part 2

We were in no hurry as we had not booked a DCL excursion and knew that we would have to wait until people on a DCL excursion had been tendered ashore.
So we just strolled back to our stateroom to drop off our cameras and it was already made up. Nothing better than to come back to our stateroom and find it nice and clean. Perfect stateroom host to say the least. Quick restroom break and we were ready to head to Lumiere’s for breakfast.
Lumiere’s was pretty empty and we were quickly led to a table and served

IMG_5434_zpsv3zank32.jpg

IMG_5435_zpsgwqpzyzx.jpg

IMG_5437_zpsn8ogqc5v.jpg

IMG_5438_zpsf6j5qppr.jpg

coffee and orange juice. Today we stuck with our favourites and were happy to order a hearty breakfast. Soon our trusted starters, the

IMG_5442_zpsj8pe7cta.jpg

Swiss Bircher Muesli, Muesli with Raisins, Shredded Apples and Yogurt and the

IMG_5439_zps6vpshtgg.jpg

IMG_5440_zpsktra4nir.jpg

Mornin’ Tug Boat, fresh blend of Strawberries, Bananas, Almonds, Raisin Granola and Low-fat Yogurt arrived. Once we had cleared our bowl and glass it was quickly taken away and our main breakfast course arrived. No surprise there, we had both opted for the

IMG_5444_zpsryocrxnw.jpg

IMG_5446_zpsv8vsin5n.jpg

Traditional Eggs Benedict, Toasted English Muffin with Grilled Canadian Bacon served with Poached Egg and topped with Hollandaise Sauce. Breakfast heaven.
About half an hour after we had entered Lumiere’s we said goodbye to our servers and went to the elevator and up to our room. By now we thought it would be safe to head to the Buena Vista Theatre for a tender ticket, so we changed, got our things together and walked downstairs. When we arrived at the theatre they asked if we were on a tour and since we were not we were handed a tender ticket

IMG_5447_zpsbcpequhj.jpg

and ordered to step aside for a second. It really took only a second, as a crew member was just taking a group of people downstairs to the tender and we were told to just go along with them.
Yeah, that was easy.
We got onto the next tender and were soon on our way.

IMG_5448_zps2m8tcazg.jpg

It takes only a few minutes and soon we arrived at Grand Cayman. And after getting of the tender we just walked around and did some window shopping as we still had over an hour’s time to kill.

IMG_5449_zpsfzszskqk.jpg

IMG_5451_zpsqgi67vwn.jpg

IMG_5452_zps8eqilj9z.jpg

So after visiting the Tortuga shop, a liquor store, several other stores that sold clothes and a peek into Del Sol we headed toward the ray sculpture fountain and a little market.

IMG_5457_zpsuan3pk7i.jpg

And after checking it out we decided that since we still had quite some time and were thirsty to try out the restaurant/bar, the Paradise Seaside Grill, that was across the street, directly at the water.
We walked over, asked if it was okay to only order a drink and were then taken to a small table right at the water’s edge. We had an awesome view of the Magic

IMG_5455_zpsoei9kzki.jpg

IMG_5453_zpspxjazuw0.jpg

and some of the other ships that were anchored in the bay. There was also what looked like a little yellow “island” which belonged to a diving school.

IMG_5460_zps6cue7l4h.jpg

The server had handed us a menu and we were deciding on what to try. Their

IMG_5463_zpsxnpdcnkc.jpg

IMG_5468_zpskyghjbla.jpg

Strawberry Mudslide, Irish Cream, Vodka and Kahlua with a good amount of strawberries mixed in sounded very interesting to me and Tom wanted to try a

IMG_5465_zpsyiixw9op.jpg

IMG_5469_zps1lzykjjr.jpg

Sharkarita, a mixture of Tequila, Triple Sec, Sweet & Sour and Cranberry Juice. We ordered a

IMG_5467_zpsd4wh7fck.jpg

bottle of water as well, as we were really thirsty too and soon all our drinks arrived. They looked pretty yummy and even yummier when photographed against the backdrop of the Disney Magic. And now it proved helpful that we had had a rather opulent breakfast, as both drinks were pretty strong. We sat for quite some time before settling our bill and with only 5 minutes to spare we made it to our destination, a small church right opposite the restaurant.

To be continued ..........

Last edited:
I've been to Vienna and Salzburg. I'm hoping to get another trip in the next couple of years. I plan to look you up!

Jill in CO

They are both beautiful cities, but there are a lot of beautiful small villages and our home town, even though an industrial town, is pretty nice with lots of history and AWESOME food too! Can't wait to welcome you here. :wave2:

The feel of a quiet ship in the morning is great. Your breakfast looked yummy, glad you had a good breakfast with those adult drinks! :rolleyes1 I have a very low tolerance so I would have had to sit there for quite a while, but what a great place to sit :love: Looking forward to hearing more and I love how you add in planning for your other trips as well!

The only thing better than a picture of an adult beverage is a picture of an adult beverage with the Magic as a backdrop!

Bring on the excursion!!!!!

Lovely pictures!

That looks like a great way to spend a morning in Georgetown!

Breakfast looked great too! I can't wait to have my own Eggs Benedict at Triton's!

The feel of a quiet ship in the morning is great. Your breakfast looked yummy, glad you had a good breakfast with those adult drinks! :rolleyes1 I have a very low tolerance so I would have had to sit there for quite a while, but what a great place to sit :love: Looking forward to hearing more and I love how you add in planning for your other trips as well!

It was awesome to walk around and everything was quiet and peaceful in the morning.
And yes, we were lucky we had had a good breakfast ..... those drinks were yummy and STRONG.

I am glad you don't mind that I include some of the planning of our Italy trip to Florence, Venice and the Cinque Terre.

The only thing better than a picture of an adult beverage is a picture of an adult beverage with the Magic as a backdrop!

Thank you, photo queen! :goodvibes

Bring on the excursion!!!!!

Lovely pictures!

Excursion coming up soon! ::yes::

That looks like a great way to spend a morning in Georgetown!

Breakfast looked great too! I can't wait to have my own Eggs Benedict at Triton's!

It was nice to just wander around Georgetown in the morning. We really underestimated the time it would take to get on a tender, so we had a lot of time to spare.

Breakfast was very good - soon you will be the one ordering the Eggs Benedict - I am jealous! :thumbsup2

Day 5, April 1

A Taste of George Town - Part 3

We sat for quite some time before settling our bill and with only 5 minutes to spare we made it to our destination, a small church right opposite the restaurant. There we met the rest of our small group and the guide of today’s tour, “A Taste of Georgetown”. The guide introduced herself as Allison

IMG_5478_zpsghdr4ihu.jpg

and told us what was to come before we all introduced ourselves as well and then we were off to our first destination and our first sample of Georgetown food. It was not far to walk as Guy Harvey’s restaurant was just a few steps down the road.
We were all led upstairs and there was a table set for us on the patio and we were quickly served some ice water while Allison explained what we were to taste,

IMG_5470_zpsdfdkxuxj.jpg

IMG_5472_zpsirwiydsi.jpg

Red Snapper Cayman Style, which was Pan seared Red Snapper over a bed over roasted peppers in a mild sauce, rice and beans and fried plantain. Allison had explained that the portions would be small but they were enough to get a taste of the island cuisine, it was delicious. The skin of the snapper was crisp and the actual flesh was moist, the peppers were super tasty and while rice and beans on their own were a bit underwhelming, eaten with the peppers it was perfect.
And the fried plantain was just wonderful. It was the first time I had tried one and I really liked it. While sitting and eating Allison told us more about the island and how some of it came to be and how their food culture had developed before we said our goodbyes to the restaurant and headed outside again. We all followed Allison down the road and finally into a small souvenir shop.
Allison laughed as we all tried to figure out what we were to see or eat there, but she then took us to a glass covered area in the floor

IMG_5474_zpsnzz8fxws.jpg

IMG_5476_zpsx8ie9gax.jpg

and explained that one of the first wells was right underneath our feet. Photos done we moved on past the ray fountain again

IMG_5477_zpsxyt2zfat.jpg

and over to a small building at the crossroads which was protected as it was very old.

IMG_5479_zpsdpgx7usk.jpg

IMG_5480_zpscdxchn1h.jpg

IMG_5481_zpsftycnz8n.jpg

IMG_5482_zps3kwbcmkz.jpg

IMG_5483_zpsha7x8pjm.jpg

IMG_5484_zpsaxngxk4z.jpg

Allison went inside and then opened up the booth

IMG_5485_zpsjyvf2yi0.jpg

and we were to try another speciality of the islands,

IMG_5486_zps6w3audsr.jpg

Hot Pepper Jelly. We had seen it many times before, but never cared to try it or to even think about it and now we got to try it there.
Allison had put out Carr’s Water Biscuits, the jelly and some “flower” tea (I think it was Hibiscus) for all of us to try. We tried the tea first, but I am very picky with my tea and it was not really my taste, then when it was our turn, we both picked up a water biscuit and with the little spoon we put some of the jelly on top and tried it. It was really good, mild first, but then the heat kicked in. A great accompaniment for cheese. It was so good, we went back for seconds. Allison told us that they sold the jelly in the little shop and to come back later if someone wanted to buy some. We were sure we would come back for some.
And while Allison closed up the shop again we had time to enjoy and take photos of the beautiful flowers all around.

IMG_5487_zpszeuyoqxa.jpg

IMG_5488_zps0bzkcc3c.jpg

IMG_5489_zpsvfmtdskn.jpg

Soon we found ourselves on the move again

IMG_5490_zpsp0knjcwv.jpg

IMG_5491_zpshozlnqkz.jpg

and our next stop was the Post Office.

IMG_5492_zpsln6v37fo.jpg

IMG_5495_zpsxv547xw5.jpg

IMG_5494_zpsrdtjnvyk.jpg

IMG_5493_zps88iqrz8j.jpg

They do not allow photography inside, but the architect had been in the marine and all his buildings reflected ships in some kind of the way and this building was no different. The ceiling looked very much like an upside down ship, very beautiful. Sightseeing done in there, we walked on.

We did a tour very similar to that in Nassau. I really enjoyed it. It was a great way to sample things, learn a little bit of history, and hang out with a fun tour guide.

I discovered food tours when I was in San Juan last year and they are the way to go! Good food and lots of information. The one in Georgetown sounds really good too!

Jill in CO

The tour looks interesting and fun! Pepper jelly is popular around my area in Pennsylvania, we take a block of cream cheese and put the pepper jelly on top, then you use crackers to scoop it up. Very yummy! ::yes::

What an interesting tour . I don't recall that being offered when I was there !!

It was a great tour, Rosie, I can really recommend it, should you be in the area.
It's not a DCL tour. There was nothing they offered that we wanted to do, so I got online and checked what was offered in Grand Cayman. And by the reviews this sounded like a nice tour and it was a great one.

We did a tour very similar to that in Nassau. I really enjoyed it. It was a great way to sample things, learn a little bit of history, and hang out with a fun tour guide.

We wanted to do one in Nassau too, but never got around to actually commit to it. Now I really want to do it.
Like you said, great way to see part of the island and sample what the locals like.

I discovered food tours when I was in San Juan last year and they are the way to go! Good food and lots of information. The one in Georgetown sounds really good too!

Jill in CO

We went on our first one last year at the Cinque Terre and it was the best tour ever. They definitely are the way to go. Have a local showing you round and pointing out the sights and feeding you yummy things, it does not get any better.
If you get back to Georgetown, this tour is really great.

The tour looks interesting and fun! Pepper jelly is popular around my area in Pennsylvania, we take a block of cream cheese and put the pepper jelly on top, then you use crackers to scoop it up. Very yummy! ::yes::

Mmm ...... cream cheese with pepper jelly - sounds interesting - we still have some left, guess we're going to try it as soon as I pick up some more cream cheese. Thanks for mentioning it.

Day 5, April 1

A Taste of George Town - Part 4

Sightseeing done in there, we walked on. We walked away from the busy main street onto the back streets

IMG_5504_zpstydouhq4.jpg

and finally came to another unique eatery, Singh’s Roti Shop.

IMG_5503_zpsuvowpdst.jpg

Would we have been on our own, we would not in a million years have gone inside, but here we were on a food tour. They had set up two tables that were pushed together for us and we all took seats in the plastic garden chairs, waiting for things to come. First off, Allison brought out small cups of a

IMG_5496_zpsiu967pxs.jpg

locally brewed beer. I don’t drink beer, so Tom got a double dose and while it was not the best beer he has ever tasted, it was quite nice and refreshing. Next we were served a

IMG_5497_zpshx5ahmg5.jpg

IMG_5502_zpsbmego3i2.jpg

Roti, an Indian flatbread, filled with various things, and folded together into a little parcel. We were served three different sauces with it, a

IMG_5500_zps7wfgna09.jpg

Mango based, pretty sweet, rather runny one, a

IMG_5499_zpslgr58s0o.jpg

Tamarind sauce, which was rather on the “dry” side and a hotter yellow pepper sauce. We put a little bit onto our plates

IMG_5501_zpsi5qa4sdz.jpg

and I tasted each of them just like they were. The Mango one was a bit too sweet for my liking, the Tamarind one was my least favourite, it tasted a bit bitter and the yellow pepper one was my favourite, rather harsh and hot, but it tasted really nice with the roti. We had the Vegetarian Special Roti, Pumpkin, Spinach and Potato. It was nice but a little under seasoned for my taste, but with the hot sauce it was just perfect. There was time for a restroom break for some and once everyone was ready to leave we started to walk back to a more lively area of Georgetown. Allison led us to Heroes Square

IMG_5505_zps68hcroot.jpg

IMG_5507_zpszwxr1hem.jpg

IMG_5510_zpsm31fzops.jpg

IMG_5511_zpsbmxnfh8r.jpg

and told us all about the brave people whose monument we were looking at. And after exploring the square we walked towards our next food tasting. We stopped at the Tortuga Rum Company where we had a few minutes to look around while Allison and an employee prepared our tasting portions. We were served some

IMG_5512_zpswvg23oot.jpg

rum punch and a sample of the rum they sold plus everyone got to try half a beef pasty and a whole rum cake. And while I was still munching away I remembered that when I had booked the tour I had read that “though the portions are just tasting size you will not walk away hungry”.
How true that was.
After we had finished our feast we moved on again, walking past a tile mural

IMG_5513_zpszmgnpw23.jpg

that had all the important dates of Grand Cayman embedded in the artwork. We had one more food stop ahead of us, but before we reached it we stopped and looked inside a small church which had been designed by the same architect that had designed the Post Office. And indeed you could see his touch on the inside of the church.

IMG_5514_zps76jdoyd6.jpg

IMG_5516_zps3n1qg3gm.jpg

Our last stop of the day was an Italian Restaurant, Casanova’s, which was important to the Georgetown, Grand Cayman community because of its way to help the community.
We could see the restaurant, which sits right at the beach from afar

IMG_5517_zpsg2pqvu2p.jpg

and when we walked closer we could even see the fishmarket, which was two tables underneath two tents by the side of the road.

IMG_5518_zps78dqtqwd.jpg

IMG_5519_zpsw1dgascc.jpg

And finally we had reached the last stop of our tour.

More tasty treats! That's a bustling fish market. :0)

Jill in CO

The tour sounds interesting. How do you find out about and book these tours? I only know about the Disney sponsored ones.

Tortuga shop

Those Rum cakes are SO delicious!

Strawberry Mudslide, Irish Cream, Vodka and Kahlua

Never heard of a Strawberry Mudslide. Interesting.

Sharkarita, a mixture of Tequila, Triple Sec, Sweet & Sour and Cranberry Juice.

Ooh yeah. Want this one!

That looks so yummy!

Very cool!

Hot Pepper Jelly.

It was really good, mild first, but then the heat kicked in. A great accompaniment for cheese.

Okay this didn't sound good at all. But then when you mention using it as an accompaniment for cheese, I could dig that!

I tasted each of them just like they were. The Mango one was a bit too sweet for my liking, the Tamarind one was my least favourite, it tasted a bit bitter and the yellow pepper one was my favourite, rather harsh and hot, but it tasted really nice with the roti. We had the Vegetarian Special Roti, Pumpkin, Spinach and Potato.

I'm loving all this food you guys are trying! I'd love to go on this tour.

so much food!

though the portions are just tasting size you will not walk away hungry”

They ain't kidding. Was the tour a pretty decent price?

this is the kind of stuff I'd love to see!

I will be back with replies soon. We are leaving in just 8 hours for our trip to the Cinque Terre. :car:

IF we have reasonable internet I will post a few pics while travelling, so watch out for those.

See ya all again soon! :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter