Things to do during a 13 day stay in January

tvwalsh

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
Grandpa (me), grandma, daughter, son-in-law, and two small grandchildren will be together for almost two weeks in a two bedroom at OKW. Any suggestions? What should we be sure to do or not to do? Anyone else ever had the courage to do this?

Be glad your in WDW and not back in WI freezing your %$# off :eek:

I have plenty of courage to try 13 days at WDW in January.
But I lack the Point-intestinal Fortitude :p

Obviously, you do all the parks to a great extent, taking your tiem and not having to "commando tour". You play mini golf, you swim on days the weather allows swimming(and there will be days where you'll be able to swim), maybe do a water park, there's DD for a little shopping. I'd also recommend going off property:eek: to SeaWorld, which I think is the next best park in the Orlano area.

Realize that you dont have to spend every waking minute of time with each other. And make that understood up front, so no one feels that they have to be doing something they dont want to just to please someone else. I say this with experience cause our first trip to WDW went this way and it almost caused us to never want to go back. Man what a tradgedy that would have been:)

Relax and enjoy your time together. Give daughter and SIL a break from kids for a couple of nights cause they will probably need it. Take the kids with you and Grandma for an evening to MK to see the fireworks while Mom and Dad have some time for themselves. Take in a day or two by the pool.

Do a character breakfast, everyone will enjoy this. Ride the kiddie rides witth the grandchildren, they will remember it for the rest of their lives.

Most important, enjoy the memories that your are making for you and your loved ones

Be forewarned also that there will be days that not only will you not want to swim but that you will need winter clothes...we went over MLK weekend this year and swam Thursday---then it was below 40 and unde 35 at night until Monday (departure day was gorgeous of course) ...a rarity but not unheard of in Central Florida in January.

Paul

tvwalsh,

We'll be at OKW the first 2 wks in January too :-) It will be me, my husband and 3 girls ages 12, 10 & 7. We have not stayed on disney property before and are really looking forward to all it has to offer. We exchanged through II. We plan on the parks, Sea World, shopping, maybe swimming, walking, biking, boating and my hubby will be golfing some. We have friends in the area so we'll be taking some time to visit with them as well. Enjoy!

You don't say how small the grandkids are but for ages 3-7 I think SW is #2 park behind MK for that age group. I would also agree that planing in some "apart time" is a good idea. It could be that you and your wife would enjoy Universal if you've not visited before ( you may even like IOA if you like the larger coasters :eek: ) , if you like nature a trip on an airboat ride may be something you'd enjoy but is not practical for the small kids, if you like art the Dali museum in Tampa is VERY much worth the 2 hour drive ( nearer to WDW , Winterpark has a great display of Tiffiny glass). If you find an afternoon that's too cold to swim you can rent a pontoon boat from th marina and pootle through the canals to PO and then onto DTD, it'll take a couple of hours, but it's a nice gentle cruise. If you do get some decent weather, pool hopping is a worthwhile option, we went to Coronado Springs this visit and that does have a great pool,slide and play area.

I'm certain DD and SIL would appreciate a couple of adult evenings out to either PI or just a nice meal around WDW.

Hi, we did a similar trip with the G people (DH and me), son, DIL, and three grandkids, 2 ,3 ,&10 years old in a 2BR at the BCV. Time apart is good, allowing time together to be good. My youngest grandkids loved to swim ("Grandmother, I don't want to go to WDW, I want to go swimming").

We did the parks in moderate doses.My husband and son went bass fishing somewhere a couple times. My DIL and I went shopping. The time flew by. Lucky you. Sandie

We Have gone every January for the past 6 years. My kids are now 9, 7, 4 and 2. My advice is to make sure that you take a break every day in the middle of the day to relax, nap, swim, etc. We use to wait until the kids acted tired and then we headed back to the room but we soon learned that was a mistake. By the time we got back, there was usually a meltdown. If the kids do nap, leave the park an hour before their usual nap time. This will allow a relaxed trip back and will allow you to feed them lunch before they nap. Other thoughts - Since the OKW pool is pretty laid back, pool hopping one day may be fun. For my kids, meeting the characters was and is a big hit. We found the best place to meet them was at the character bus right in front of the World Showcase shortly before the WS opens. We always take about every third or fourth day off from the parks to do something different (mini-golf, swim, shop, etc)..... People sometimes eem hesitant about bringing little kids. IMHO, little kids are the very best people to bring since the Magic in them is very strong and their presence allows you to experience the Magic through their eyes. Have Fun....Rich

Besides visiting Sea World, which I agree is wonderful, take a side trip to Blue Springs State Park to see the Manatees that winter there is great numbers. The nature is beautiful and it is awsome to see how many manatees gather in the natural spring area.

Jan

For the person who asked, my grandchildren are actally a little young to get much out of the Disney experience IMHO.

Take a laptop with you.Every morning log onto this board and post: "HaHa...I'm here,you're not".

KWNVIKING,

My DW can't seem to see why anyone would need a laptop on vacation. Then I told her just the same thing you posted :p

Remember the old adage:

"For those that do not understand, no explaination will surfice"

My first trip my youngest DD was just 2 years. Things she enjoyed were the waterparks and pool outside the main parks. She enjoyed the kiddies area at SW and BG, particularly the bouncey castles and ball pits ( although she did go missing in one when she got covered in balls completely :eek:) so do keep and eye on them lol. She absolutely adored the night parades with all the flashing lights and sparkly costumes. If you visit IOA the kiddies area in Seuss Landing is a magnet for kids of that age, there is water bits for them to play in as well as a number of VERY colourful things to amuse them. They'll probably enjoy AK's play area as well as the festival of the Lion King show, the Pocohontas show, the two bird gardens, petting zoo and ALL the animals there. Character interaction is going to be popular ( but time consuming) it is an opportunity for one set of adults to go off and ride something, while the other set look after the kids in the lines for photo shoots and autographs.

I would DEFINATELY try to have some time with just the grandkids as seeing the wonder in their eyes is something that can't be bought. as they get older ( and a little wiser) it's one aspect that can never be revisited.

One further benefit, no pass cost for under three years :D

I have taken children 1, 2, & 3 years old to WDW. They definately had a wonderful time loving the parks & animals, sights, food treats. parades, princesses and other characters, and fireworks. They loved the swimming and the funny little squirt fountains at Epcot.

Sometimes people think young kids have a lessened experience because they don't enjoy everything we adults do. I know they don't remember it over time (hey, at 54 years old I hate to tell you what I don't remember). But I think that the enjoyment they experience with their families on a Disney vacation does have an impact and has a great deal of value. \
Just MHO. Sandie B

Take some time to relax in your vacation time. You will have enough time to do the things you want during that time of year. So make sure you take the time to enjoy them along the way!

Some of my best Disney memories have come during "down" periods, like the time that my children were selected to help out in the Hercules Parade at MGM as we sat along the parade route before it began. (They held up letters in on sings spelling out Hercules.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter