Things taken from your room at WDW

I suspect that Disney is the one who cares about their reputation and does the hush-hush to cover stuff up for appearances sake.

What exactly does Disney do the hush-hush crime at their hotels? They probably don't have any hard data on petty theft.

I spent ten years working with criminals in my field of work. You would be surprised at the petty stuff a thief might steal. So yes, it is very possible that someone would jeopardize their job at the almighty Disney to steal some souvenirs. The thrill, they saw something they liked, they knew someone who would want it.... A thief is not going to care about Disney's "reputation", clearly they are already a self-centered person. I suspect that Disney is the one who cares about their reputation and does the hush-hush to cover stuff up for appearances sake. :)

OP, if you have not already, I would still write a letter to bring the issue to the management's attention. If it was a housekeeping employee, there may be a pattern of complaints that they will be able to see. Hopefully your complaint can help prevent another person from misfortune.

I'm not sure if it is too late, but the best thing would be to file a police report. I'm betting that many people who call or e-mail that they had stuff stolen end up finding it again, in a different bag or someplace.

OP--is it possible that the items were packed, and maybe lost in transit somewhere? If you used DME could it have been left under the bus?

I work retail, and if you don't you would be surprised at how often we get calls from people claiming they didn't get an item. And in reality when we look at the cameras, it is very rare that you don't see the item going into one of their bags, and then out of the store with them.

Thank you for reminding us to be careful. I always lock valuables in the safe, but one time last year I felt sick because I forgot and safe was left open. Fortunately nothing was taken. I also keep suvies in suitcase, out of plain sight, and so I don't forget to pack them.
I had some toiletries missing from my suitcase that I was bringing home from Universal Portofino hotel. I know I had them in my suitcase when we left WDW so I can only assume it went missing during air travel. I've heard things go missing from suitcases a lot by baggage handlers. Bizzare thing to take for sure, but I know it never left my luggage at WDW.

There was a segment on the news a few months ago, luggage locks are a joke apparently. They filmed someone sticking a pen into the zipper to open it up and close it all without lock being removed. Ugh. Nice they broadcasted this so now everyone and their dog knows how to do it :sad2:

My DSL had a bag of money taken from his suitcase. This was back in the day when the arcade too money. He was crushed. We never said anything but used it as a learning lesson.

Outside of a Disney hotel back in the UK we once lost 73 Playmobil people.

That's flat out painful. Almost worse than losing Lego guys!

Nice they broadcasted this so now everyone and their dog knows how to do it

:) The night after they did a news report on how these certain cars were big for thieves because they are easy to get in to and their basic radios are quite terrific (early '90s VW Golf), our early '90s VW Golf was broken into and the radio was stolen. Thanks, newspeople!!!

OP, along with Housekeepers, normal people have access to rooms, too. Housekeepers have an awful habit of working on two rooms at once; parking their cart in front of the room they are NOT in (but leaving it unlocked for easy access) and working next door. As long as the person times it right, they can get in and out of the room with the cart in front of it (suddenly realizing I"m doing exactly what the newspeople did).

Time it wrong and you get caught LOL. On my birthday a few years back we were at Disneyland and I left something in our room at the Grand Cal. DH ran up to get it. Forgot that I had his room key and ID. Housekeeper was working on our room and the adjacent one, so he just went into our room and was looking through my stuff to find my item. Housekeeper walked in to see a man rooting through a female's purse. Oops. He had no roomkey, no ID. Oh and I had booked it so it was in my name (neither of us changed our last names) and all she had was MY name. That was a fun call to security for him. Thankfully the front desk had his name on file.

If only that could have spelled an end to housekeepers working on multiple rooms, but no. They all do.

After having a bag of prescription and OTC meds stolen form our bathroom at the Contemporary some years ago we make sure all valuables are either in the safe or a locked suit case. The management at the time could not have cared less. If the meds were controlled substances and we had called the police I'm sure their reaction would have been different.

One theory was that the bathroom was visible from the doorway and if the housekeeper was not paying attention anyone could have ducked in an taken it.

Thanks for this. I always lock all valuables and honestly have to head-tilt at the tales of diamond rings and electronics being stolen from rooms - because why would you leave valuables unattended in a hotel room ever? (use the safe, lock them in your car trunk, or best of all leave them at home!)

However, it's never occurred to me that medications of any kind could also be a theft magnet. I take a thyroid med each morning and will be bringing that to Disney with me. While it's hardly percocet or something, this post was a good reminder to keep meds out of sight as well.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that! I've never had anything stolen from my room while staying at a WDW Resort. And I have actually been pretty careless with leaving expensive jewelry, watches, cameras, sunglasses, etc. out in the open.

DW and I always leave valuables in safe. And other things that either won't fit in safe or someone might "walk off with" we put in "locked" suitcases in the closet. Never had anything stolen, but have misplaced (lost) some small items. On one trip, we did come back to room and it was left open by housekeeping (wedge in door) and no housekeepers any where in site. Believe me, we checked everything !!!!

I'm not saying that housekeeping theft never happens at WDW, but I think it's rather accusatory to assume that it "had to be theft" by the Polynesian staff without being 100% positive. You already mentioned that leaving the room prior to checkout was "chaos". I think that little tidbit of information tells the story more than anything else.

I can't believe that some are suggesting that you file a police report. Seriously? "I think some souvenirs were stolen from me, but I'm not positive"... Just a hunch, but I don't think this case would get much attention from any detective anytime soon. I'd put it on file with the Poly that X items were lost, and if they turn up, to please give you a call. If that doesn't happen, I would simply chalk it up as a loss and move on.

That's flat out painful. Almost worse than losing Lego guys!

:) The night after they did a news report on how these certain cars were big for thieves because they are easy to get in to and their basic radios are quite terrific (early '90s VW Golf), our early '90s VW Golf was broken into and the radio was stolen. Thanks, newspeople!!!

OP, along with Housekeepers, normal people have access to rooms, too. Housekeepers have an awful habit of working on two rooms at once; parking their cart in front of the room they are NOT in (but leaving it unlocked for easy access) and working next door. As long as the person times it right, they can get in and out of the room with the cart in front of it (suddenly realizing I"m doing exactly what the newspeople did).

Time it wrong and you get caught LOL. On my birthday a few years back we were at Disneyland and I left something in our room at the Grand Cal. DH ran up to get it. Forgot that I had his room key and ID. Housekeeper was working on our room and the adjacent one, so he just went into our room and was looking through my stuff to find my item. Housekeeper walked in to see a man rooting through a female's purse. Oops. He had no roomkey, no ID. Oh and I had booked it so it was in my name (neither of us changed our last names) and all she had was MY name. That was a fun call to security for him. Thankfully the front desk had his name on file.

If only that could have spelled an end to housekeepers working on multiple rooms, but no. They all do.
Ugh. Sometimes you have to wonder what the're thinking.

We only allow the maids in twice per nine day stay. This eliminates this possibility. We also lock everything in suitcases that's of any value or stick them in the safe. You don't know these cleaners. How often does your maid clean at home....

You only "allow" them in twice? Are you in your room 24/7? Do you really think a piece of paper hanging on a doorknob deters a determined thief?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter