• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Things on TV shows that bug you....

The non existent kids. Where the character has kids, but you never see them and they are rarely mentioned. Think Meredith’s kids on Grey’s Anatomy. Who’s watching them or do they live at the daycare center?

This drives me crazy on this show! Every 5th episode or so she'll mention that she has 3 kids. But she has plenty of time to work, drink, and date. And she has all these random people living with her. It just makes no sense why they ever had her have kids, especially adopting them. Either make them art of the storyline or just don't have them as characters.

I used to grit my teeth years ago when I'd watch General Hospital. They would frequently have a scene where people gathered in someone's kitchen for a chat and coffee before work. Before work! They were nurses and doctors. I'm a nurse and know that nurses on day shift (at that time) had to be clocked in by 6:45 and doctors were making rounds about that time, too. How could they have possibly sat and chatted and sipped coffee *leisurely* each morning before work?

Or when they are leisurely sitting around in a bright, sunlit kitchen calmly eating breakfast before school !!!

I've got lots.

Geniuses in every whodunit type show.
Hackers that can log into the most secure databases & find maps/floor plans/change the world with a few clicks. The systems I have passwords for don't work that smoothly. EVER.
Dead bodies that don't pile up but instead magically disappear. And there's seldom any pooled blood (which I'm grateful for, but still highly unrealistic)
People get knocked out and stay knocked out for hours
How it turns from night - day - night when it's all been within a 24 hour (or less) time
How people have time to just travel around all day, with no traffic, and can go from 1 side of town to the other
Rich glamorous houses w/ no clutter, which would be way above the pay scales for most of the main characters

Breakfast in busy households. The mom is pouring freshly squeezed juice & dad is making eggs while the kids are all sitting down to breakfast. And the parents are all dressed for work and having full on deep conversations. Everyone I know spends their mornings screaming at each other to hurry up, leaving at different times, and no one is sitting down for breakfast.
Dern, I posted before I read yours :) I think this one bugs me the most :):)

I hate when a character is on the phone, says something, and says something again, with absolutely no time for the other person to have actually said anything meaningful on the other end...

Character says into phone "Hey Julie, why didn't you come to the party?"

**two second pause**

(Same character speaking) "No kidding, you had to travel to China for a work commitment and only got home two days ago?"

Or when they show childcare workers/teachers in flowery dresses with cardigans. Now, I don't have a problem with flowery dresses and cardigans but all the teachers I know where pants :) And the classrooms are so clean and the kids are so well behaved. Or there are only about 5 kids in the daycare class. Or all the little 4/5 yr olds are sitting so nicely cris cross applesauce and raising their hands and not interrupting!!

Or when they show childcare workers/teachers in flowery dresses with cardigans. Now, I don't have a problem with flowery dresses and cardigans but all the teachers I know where pants :) And the classrooms are so clean and the kids are so well behaved. Or there are only about 5 kids in the daycare class. Or all the little 4/5 yr olds are sitting so nicely cris cross applesauce and raising their hands and not interrupting!!

And class sizes are small, fewer than 15.

Law and order is bad about this one. They will just hand the suspect a note pad and tell them to write down the phone number and address. I have no idea what other people’s phone numbers and addresses are.

Law and order is bad about this one. They will just hand the suspect a note pad and tell them to write down the phone number and address. I have no idea what other people’s phone numbers and addresses are.

And when they ask for a name they never ask for the spelling.

It bugs me that Leonard’s glasses on the Big Bang theory’s don’t have glass in them.

Unrealistic plot lines make me nuts.

When they brush their teeth, and there is absolutely no foam whatsoever, and they are carrying on a conversation while fake brushing

And the ones who do have the foam just wipe their mouth off and don't spit or rinse their mouth out. eewww

Ok, do they even need to show that they are brushing their teeth? That's one of those makes me sick to my stomach things...eeewww :)

I despise to see the tooth brushing also.

Kids are a big one for me. IDK why but it's a bit annoying when they make such a big deal about a pregnancy or a child, especially the first one, and then they are hardly on the screen or they aren't really mentioned or they are mentioned for a while then poof it's like they aren't there. I know that laws regulate child labor/screen time but it's more of an issue when the show makes such a big deal and then doesn't follow through.

A couple of shows that have done this that I can remember:
~Reba
~Grey's Anatomy
~Bones
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another annoying thing is when characters that seemingly had an important part just disappear without comment. Even if they left on bad terms at least give them a resolution vs the character just not being mentioned past a certain episode.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do agree with story arcs. I love good story arcs. I do not love ones that go on and on and on. I stop caring after a while.

Characters who take a radical shift in their demeanor for no appearant reason.

Probably the biggest one I can think of is Eric on Boy Meets World. For a couple of seasons he was a normal teen then all of a sudden he became really really dumbed down and only there for pointing at to make fun of.

I thought I had read long ago that 555 numbers were not issued so that is why they are used on tv. Anyone know if that is true or still the case?
That's partially correct. I looked into it further as the '555' thing has been of interest to me too.

According to wiki:
upload_2018-2-6_14-41-29.png

----------------------------------------------------------------
And still over the years everyone's phone number still begins with 555, lol.
See above image for why.

Yes, exactly, same as the vomiting that a previous poster mentioned. Or people sitting on the toilet. Everytime I think of when I binge-watched "Breaking Bad" with my husband, I just remember how every time I sat down with a snack, it seemed like someone on the show graphically vomited right at that moment. So unnecessary!
I only remember WalterJr. getting sick by the pool...of course there must be more. But Walt Jr. vomiting wasn't as graphic and gross as Betty Draper throwing up all over herself in "Mad Men" GROSS! :crazy2:

Mealtimes. People take one bite of their food and then announce that they have to leave. Or say yes when offered a cup of coffee but leave before they drink it.

Oh, that really ticks me off. They also go to a restasurant, order and never take a bite of the food. Ugh

Shows where women make a big deal about possibly being pregnant before ever taking a pregnancy test.

Yes, and even worse, women being shocked, truly shocked that they may be pregnant. Don't they know where babies come from?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter