• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

There's no time to slumber we're going back in November! we came we saw and started a TR for it all!

Yesterday was my BLACKHAWKS DAY!

There is always a rally after one of our teams win the championship. ALWAYS
It's always an amazing time.
This year our Mayor decided to have it in Soldier Field (home of my beloved Bears) Free tickets. but only 65,000 were being given out and a limit of 4 per person...
DUMBEST IDEA OF THE CENTURY.. Did you read the fact it was a FREE EVENT???
So at exactly noon when the tickets would be available on Ticketmaster all my computers refreshed themselves and i was running for tickets. Yes ALL my computers which i had 4 going.
Not one ticket available. They were 'Sold' out in 2 minutes.
Next you started to see them on craigslist ebay and every other web site being sold for 400.00 all the way up to 1,200 ---- for a FREE EVENT. I am sure all my Chicagoland friends can chime in here too..
To say i was upset is an understatement. Not only was i on the hunt but SEVERAL of my friends were also trying.. and when i say a couple of my friends. i mean every. single. person. i know was trying for them... Nada. not one... Later found out some jerk with servers ended up getting 32 tickets.. selling them for 400.00 a pop...
For a free event limited to 4 tickets per person. Way to go you IDIOT MAYOR.. epic fail to the entire city. i have a lot more descriptive words for this.. but i cannot here... So since the tickets BLEW UP in his face he made the parade longer...
Big deal.

My friend Chunk came by and we made a game plan... We were first supposed to go with about 20 people but that got to big for us and we decided to break off with just the two of us. there was just too much chaos with that many people. No one had a plan..
I google mapped the parade route. walked 'per say' the entire route to find the best spot for pictures and to see Lord Stanley BACK HOME! in 2013 the parade went SO FAST if you blinked you missed it. So this year we came up with the grand idea to hit one of the turns the parade would have to make- surly have to slow down right? <-- Yep we smart..

Cool beans plan is in place i will drive since i know the city like the back of my hand. He isn't all that wonderful with all the streets.

I picked up Chunk at 6:30 am. (yep we wanted a good spot!) and off we went. traffic wasn't as bad as i expected it to be. I was working on 1 cup of coffee (not knowing where a bathroom would be) Got off the expressway to go went hook around to find parking and 'our' spot.
plan changed we got off went to Washington found a parking garage for 12.00 cannot beat that! right on the parade route and hoofed it to our destination.
Until we found a BETTER spot right at Washington and Halsted in front of Whole foods! it was perfect. there was a planter wall thing that was about 3 feet high which I could stand on while Chunk went to the rail.. and NO ONE around, all the stupid people went towards the loop. Nope we wanted to see the parade.. Plus this was perfect as there was a BATHROOM! I ran in got more coffee and was ready for my spot until the parade came. in 3 hours.

Chunk and i can entertain ourselves for hours so the time went quickly.. the crowds started to come. Channel 7 was there along with Wbbm radio- which i got to know all these people well sitting there for hours.. HA HA! Hawk fans are much different from other crowds. They are like the people in Disney. HAPPY FUN RESPECTABLE AND SO ON the Blackhawks themselves are also a class act group of athletes. They deserved this Cup!!!

The parade started! it was FANTASTIC!!!
If you want to see the pictures you can -----> HERE
I'm not posting there here as it's too much! HA HA.. Afterwards we stopped for some lunch then made our way home.

Regardless of the idiotic mayor and his stupid ideas we had a great time!! It was pretty funny as he was mentioned at the rally the crowds BOO-ED him!!! excellent!

I have to run now. as i have to go and get my tired fixed YEs i woke up this morning to a flat tire.. then need some other errands to get done!!!

Hope you all have a fantastic weekend filled with Pixi dust!!!

WOW! Hemlock Bridge is GORGEOUS! Mo your photos are awesome! That Mickey mail looked like tons of fun too!

And yes Mo he is MY MOOSE. I named him Doofensmirtz. Because OBVI! :tongue::tongue::tongue:

That's too funny!!! I did see him in an episode of See ya reel soon..

thank you!!! I did love the bridge!!!

I loved checking out all the photos, they are wonderful! Boo that the tickets went so fast but at least you got a great spot for the parade.

a week??? that's a long time for DL! it's very small!!!
Three days maybe four is perfect for DLR. But, I understand Suzi not wanting to do a flight that is that long and expensive for just a few days. That is why our WDW trips are always so long (plus there is much more to do). So, there would have to be sight seeing added to the trip as well.

Mo, I already told you on FB, those pictures are absolutely spectacular. You capture so much of the joy and the fun with the Stanley Cup coming home.

Thankfully, I don't live in the City; I don't think very highly of the Mayor (nor does my boss who is a diehard Democrat). Getting to and from work was a pain yesterday, but so worth it for the City to celebrate our class act guys.

Wow this is a long thread. Forgive the intrusion, but I'm new here and looking at trip plans. My 10yo son's make-a-wish was just scheduled for the last week of October going into November. What exactly is this Jersey week that people are mentioning? It seems like it may occur over some of our trip, and I have no idea what it is.

IMAG1620_zps0cjqunjg.jpg

Such a face!

Isn't this AWESOME?!?!?

Yes, yes it is awesome! I want it! Looks like Mickey mail was a great success!

I had like 25 other ones I quoted too, but I figured you took em, you've seen em. Amazing Mo, seriously though. You're very talented.

My friend Chunk came by and we made a game plan...

Am I the only one who immediately sees Chunk from the Goonies...?:duck:

Mo, just joining in and read through everything. We are going to go in November 2016 and are planning the week after Jersey week too. I'm so interested in how it pans out for you. I read your recent trip report. I thought the surprise birthday trip was so much fun. I love the Mickey Mail idea. Is that something you are putting together for your friend to send?
Your pictures of the bridge are incredible. It looks like you had a great time with your friends. I love the banter between the three of you. It's like you've been friends all your life.
Your kiddos are just darling. I hope they enjoy the summer off.
-Lindsey:earsgirl:

I was reading and seeing on the news about the ticket disaster. I did have one friend that was lucky enough to get tickets, but just two of them. That is great you got to see the parade. That was crazy too in some parts.

I love your Maine and covered bridge pics!! So beautiful! We were in Maine last summer and I totally fell in love with it...if only it was warm all year...sigh. But so pretty!

The parade started! it was FANTASTIC!!!
If you want to see the pictures you can -----> HERE
I'm not posting there here as it's too much! HA HA.. Afterwards we stopped for some lunch then made our way home.
You had a great view of the parade. Some of those guys are looking right at you! That was really smart of you to go to the beginning of the parade. :thumbsup2

BTW: I was on Halsted that day, too. We were at the Parthenon for lunch. If you like Greek food then that is the place to go.

Yup, Suzi got it Cathedral and White Horse ledges. My husband and son have climbed cathedral a couple of times.

Wanted to send out a HUGE :welcome: to the new readers!!! Just know i am so happy your here!!! i don't normally Dis on the weekends..

Hope everyone had a great weekend and hope everyone had a GREAT Father's Day!!!

I loved checking out all the photos, they are wonderful! Boo that the tickets went so fast but at least you got a great spot for the parade.

Thanks! Oh i was none too happy... Idiot Mayor.

Three days maybe four is perfect for DLR. But, I understand Suzi not wanting to do a flight that is that long and expensive for just a few days. That is why our WDW trips are always so long (plus there is much more to do). So, there would have to be sight seeing added to the trip as well.

I wanted to do a quick weekend over at DL was going to leave on a Thursday and home on Sunday. Figured that was enough...

Mo, I already told you on FB, those pictures are absolutely spectacular. You capture so much of the joy and the fun with the Stanley Cup coming home.

Thank you Kathy!!!! :hug: It was a great day!!! the players are fantastic people.

Thankfully, I don't live in the City; I don't think very highly of the Mayor (nor does my boss who is a diehard Democrat). Getting to and from work was a pain yesterday, but so worth it for the City to celebrate our class act guys.

Nope he's an idiot. I am sure trying to get to work was a rough day.. I love how the fans support our team!!!

Love the parade pictures! They look great! What a fun event!

Thanks!

Wow this is a long thread.

Sorry!!! we like to talk around here... :thumbsup2 Welcome!!

Forgive the intrusion, but I'm new here and looking at trip plans.

Glad you came here!!! No intrusion! ask away! you have found the best Dis people ever.

My 10yo son's make-a-wish was just scheduled for the last week of October going into November. What exactly is this Jersey week that people are mentioning? It seems like it may occur over some of our trip, and I have no idea what it is.

God bless...
" the New Jersey Educational Association holds a convention that includes a Thursday and a Friday, typically the Thursday and Friday that end the first full week of November.New Jersey public schools are closed those two days; many families in response head to Walt Disney World for either that long weekend, or for the entire week."

I hope this answers your question... I have heard it isn't as bad as people make it out to be....

Cathedral Ledge.....remember.....

Ahhhh Sorry i am still catching up on the Maine lingo!!! I am not that cool...

I know that! What I mean is, I would need to plan more than just DL and stay longer than a weekend for that long of a flight. There are other things to do nearby, right?

Good Point.. Yes there is TONS of stuff...

I am hopelessly behind. I promise to get caught up soon!!!!

Slacker.
I do think i have all the links updated!

Such a face!

I know right? This was the shocked face then turned into a happy scream!!!

Yes, yes it is awesome! I want it! Looks like Mickey mail was a great success!

it totally was!!! can't wait for next month!!

I had like 25 other ones I quoted too, but I figured you took em, you've seen em. Amazing Mo, seriously though. You're very talented.

HA HA HA HA! thank you!!!

Am I the only one who immediately sees Chunk from the Goonies...?

You hit the nail on the head!
This is Chunk:

My childhood friend!

Mo, just joining in and read through everything.

Hi!!! welcome!!! so glad you came aboard!!!

We are going to go in November 2016 and are planning the week after Jersey week too. I'm so interested in how it pans out for you. I read your recent trip report.

YAY! glad your going!!! I hope you stick around for the trip report when we get back!
Aww! thanks for reading the Sept surprise!

I thought the surprise birthday trip was so much fun.

OHHH it was so stressful... Every part of it was worth every new stress line i have.

I love the Mickey Mail idea. Is that something you are putting together for your friend to send?

She is going to start this as a business i am her test subject and i am loving it!!! She puts it all together and sends it out. i have no idea what's in the boxes.. I like it like that!!! I just send suggestions.

Your pictures of the bridge are incredible. It looks like you had a great time with your friends. I love the banter between the three of you. It's like you've been friends all your life.
Your kiddos are just darling. I hope they enjoy the summer off.

Thank you So much!!! :hug:
Yes we are a crazy group.. we did really find true friendship within the three of us!!!

I was reading and seeing on the news about the ticket disaster. I did have one friend that was lucky enough to get tickets, but just two of them. That is great you got to see the parade. That was crazy too in some parts.

DISASTER it was... such Nonsense!!! Great news for your friends!!! So glad someone got in there!!! did you happen to see all the empty seats? they started to just let several people in...

I love your Maine and covered bridge pics!! So beautiful! We were in Maine last summer and I totally fell in love with it...if only it was warm all year...sigh. But so pretty!

so beautiful!!!! YES it is really easy to fall in love there!!!

You had a great view of the parade. Some of those guys are looking right at you! That was really smart of you to go to the beginning of the parade.

I KNOW!!! it was AWESOME!!! YES the beginning was the best spot!

BTW: I was on Halsted that day, too. We were at the Parthenon for lunch. If you like Greek food then that is the place to go.

i know the place well!!!

I don't want to hijack your thread, but we heard from Disney so I started a PreTrip Report.

Hijack away my friend...
I will be going over to read today!

Yup, Suzi got it Cathedral and White Horse ledges. My husband and son have climbed cathedral a couple of times.

ahh! Like i told Suzi.. I am not in the Maine lingo just yet!!!

You could totally do DL in a long weekend. Although, because it is a weekend, you may not be able to catch all the shows you may want. We usually do 3 days. The last trip, I had everyone write their 3 most important things they wanted. We tried to do all of those things. The 3rd day was doing some last ones that didn't get done, like meet and greets and one of the shows. We ended up spending the majority of the that day in Downtown Disney.

You could totally do DL in a long weekend. Although, because it is a weekend, you may not be able to catch all the shows you may want. We usually do 3 days. The last trip, I had everyone write their 3 most important things they wanted. We tried to do all of those things. The 3rd day was doing some last ones that didn't get done, like meet and greets and one of the shows. We ended up spending the majority of the that day in Downtown Disney.
thanks! Figure we could...

The Basin

I have to tell you here NOTHING was to prepare me for the basin... i will just post the pictures which DO NOT do it justice at all!!!
Our ride.. ya know where we go 5000

I don't remember much of our conversation but i am sure we annoyed poor Suuuuuzi out of her mind.

but then we all shut up because of this:

This was just BIGGER then life.

I cannot tell you the feeling you get when you sitting here looking at this scene. it's overwhelming.. you feel so small. so insignificant... this greatness around you.

It took them a long while to get me out of here too.. But my stomach told me differently. We had to hit the road for some FOOD!

Hope you enjoyed this update.. as it is THE favorite spot to sit and look. there are other places we explored Yet this place will forever be my favorite!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter