• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

There's a Great Big MARATHON Tomorrow: Goofy Challenge/Marathon Weekend '15 FINALLY COMPLETE!

God, those topiaries still blow my mind. Amazing what they can do.

OK that's pretty cool. Animal meet and greets at Animal Kingdom.

Wait, WHAT??!! You're actually running through an open park AND can stop and ride EE??? That is fippin' wicked. Yeah, I'd say this is a very unique Marathon.

Aw yay, you got the grave digger photo. I've seen these before and think it is one of the best.

Only in Disney can you ride a roller coaster in the middle of a marathon. One day I'll run the WDW marathon and hopefully dopey. Can't wait to hear about the rest!

Exactly!

BYE FELICIA!! :rotfl2:

So awesome that you ladies got to ride Everest. I'm insanely jealous!

Can't wait for more. :)

I'm glad we stopped! It was a nice sit-down break, hahahaha!

God, those topiaries still blow my mind. Amazing what they can do.

OK that's pretty cool. Animal meet and greets at Animal Kingdom.

Wait, WHAT??!! You're actually running through an open park AND can stop and ride EE??? That is fippin' wicked. Yeah, I'd say this is a very unique Marathon.

Aw yay, you got the grave digger photo. I've seen these before and think it is one of the best.

I know, right?! I can't imagine myself shears-in-hand trying to carve something like that up. Those people must have the nicest looking landscaping at their homes... :rotfl2:

That's right!! We simply hopped off the course, jumped in line and walked right on the ride! The CMs were even waving runners in! It was awesome!!! :banana:

Walt Disney World Marathon (Miles 16-22)
We continued on, trudging down Osceola Parkway thankful that it wasn’t hot because there is absolutely no shade out here! This area definitely felt long. Disney tried with some entertainment and DJs, but it’s just a long straight stretch of boring highway. Phineas and Ferb were out right before the next water stop so we met up with them briefly.
15999149013_582e66496e_c.jpg

As Shannon said in her TR, where’s Perry?!?! Seriously though- Perry would be an awesome rare character out for a photo stop on the runDisney courses!

Next up with mile 16:

15996717854_2225ebe7e7_c.jpg

And mile 17 where we took the right to enter ESPN Wide World of Sports.

15999148783_b7917f578e_c.jpg
A lot of runner’s compain about two things here: first, that running through WWoS is terrible and twisty (which I don’t disagree with) and second, that this area is irritating because you’re passing runners coming out of WWoS who are almost at mile 21 and the DJ continuously tells them that (as he should!)
WARNING-LONG-ISH RACE STORY AHEAD

It had been misting for the last mile or so and as we turned off the driveway and into the actually sporting fields area the skies opened and it started to pour. This was the one thing I had hoped and prayed wouldn’t happen today yet here we were. I didn’t have too much time to think or complain because Cait asked me to pull over at the next water stop saying that she started to feel really sick. So here we were- standing in the pouring rain, Cait say she thought she was going to throw up, and we still had 9 miles to go to the finish. I had always been confident we could do this, but that feeling started to waiver at this point. Cait said she could keep walking so that’s what we did, passing the wet towels they were passing out (because seriously? I need a dry towel right about now.)
Getting through the next two miles was rough. We tried running a little bit but walked most as Cait was really starting to get worried. She started dry heaving and was saying she was feeling really dizzy. She started to talk about stopping at a med tent and I think both of us knew that if she stopped at a tent they weren’t going to let her keep running. She mentioned that I could keep going without her but I was worried about not knowing what would happen to her if we split up. After walking around the track we finally hit a med tent and Caitlin decided she wanted to sit down for a minute. Honestly, I was really sure this was the end.
However, another runner stopped what he was doing, asked if she was okay, and reassured her that everything would be fine and she could do this. He seemed to have the magic touch (so THANK YOU, random stranger!!) and Caitlin decided that she was feeling well enough that she could get up and we kept walking. This guy was a great example of the kindness of runners! Honestly, this was the turning point where I knew I could finish. He asked me if I was ok, and as soon as I said “I think so” instead of no or I don’t know, I knew I was going to get up and keep going.
Soon, we started using really short intervals by running through one or two lamp posts and then walking again. It helped too that the rain had subsided too.

This got us moving and slowly we started picking up the pace by continuing to use intervals as we passed mile 19...
16592939506_2f20516893_c.jpg
I attempted to hug Baymax via the banner and told him that I needed medical attention.

We then saw these guys in great outfits with almost no line:
16411609977_447f97dfb2_c.jpg

After the ‘munk meet, we turned into Champion Stadium. Caitlin continued to confirm that she was slowly feeling better which put me at ease as we kept moving. We didn’t take any pictures in here, nor did we remember to look for ourselves on the jumbotron-fail!
Soon things were turned back around and we were at mile 20!

16618264052_f22cae9677_c.jpg
We each mimicked one of the Frozen characters completely without planning on our part! Must be a sister thing…

Finally, we were at the DJ who was telling us we were almost there! This was more like it! We caught ourselves on the jumbotron!

15999148353_98053f853c_c.jpg

You can see Caitlin’s bright green shirt!

With 10k to go we started to really focus on ticking off the miles to get to Hollywood Studios. On the way we passed two more mile markers and Sarge!

16618263762_b3ef498565_c.jpg
16433104699_9367d5bdbe_c.jpg

Thankfully, Sarge wasn’t making people do push ups to earn pics like he had in the half!

16431896000_63ff4ef292_c.jpg

The kindness of runners is defintely something I found during race weekend. Just race weekend in genera I found people so supportive and kind in the parks and the resorts. From CMs to other runners it was the best, and just made me want to do another event even more.

You guys are doing great! I had a terrible spell between miles 20-22 of my first Disney marathon and still remember the stranger who asked if I was okay. Runners really are a great group of supportive people. I'm glad you two had each other and the kindness of strangers to get Caitlin through a tough patch.

So jealous you guys rode EE. You timed it perfectly and the picture on the ride is awesome! You guys are doing great. Can't wait to read about the big finish.

I still want to know where Perry was!! :(

Oh no!! I'm so sorry that WWoS was so tough, but I'm so glad you ladies pushed through. Hooray for the guy that stopped!! :yay: and hooray for you ladies to have the mental toughness to keep going.

Almost there!!

I can only imagine the difference in running through a park vs running down a boring stretch of highway. Ironically, under normal circumstances I tend to get excited when I'm on Osceola because it usually means I'm almost "home"

I honestly felt like I was right there with you two (without actually having to, you know, run) and just hoping Caitlin would continue. But also with concern too. I love the story about a random stranger giving that little bit of encouragement to continue.

Ahhh you're almost there!!! :woohoo:

Oh no, I can't imagine running through the rain, that's brutal!!

That's so sweet that the stranger helped Caitlin out...kinda like your own personal Baymax! (But not as squishy)

The kindness of runners is defintely something I found during race weekend. Just race weekend in genera I found people so supportive and kind in the parks and the resorts. From CMs to other runners it was the best, and just made me want to do another event even more.

Yup...runners are the best!! :thumbsup2

You guys are doing great! I had a terrible spell between miles 20-22 of my first Disney marathon and still remember the stranger who asked if I was okay. Runners really are a great group of supportive people. I'm glad you two had each other and the kindness of strangers to get Caitlin through a tough patch.

So jealous you guys rode EE. You timed it perfectly and the picture on the ride is awesome! You guys are doing great. Can't wait to read about the big finish.

That was my first experience "hitting the wall" and it was kind of scary, I was very glad Emily didn't leave me behind!

Riding EE was our number 1 goal for the race (well, aside from finishing, lol!) and it was completely worth it/everything I hoped it would be!

I still want to know where Perry was!! :(

Oh no!! I'm so sorry that WWoS was so tough, but I'm so glad you ladies pushed through. Hooray for the guy that stopped!! :yay: and hooray for you ladies to have the mental toughness to keep going.

Almost there!!
At least I didn't really notice the boring twists and turns that make up WWOS...because I was too busy trying not to throw up on those lovely manicured fields :rotfl:

I can only imagine the difference in running through a park vs running down a boring stretch of highway. Ironically, under normal circumstances I tend to get excited when I'm on Osceola because it usually means I'm almost "home"

I honestly felt like I was right there with you two (without actually having to, you know, run) and just hoping Caitlin would continue. But also with concern too. I love the story about a random stranger giving that little bit of encouragement to continue.

Ahhh you're almost there!!! :woohoo:

I've seen references to Osceola parkway as a Highway to...well I'm not sure I can post it, but if you know the AC/DC song you'll get the drift...
We were definitely dreading it and thankfully since the sun wasn't out it wasn't too too bad.

Random strangers are like that at all races (not just disney) in my experience! It is one of the best things about the running community.

Oh no, I can't imagine running through the rain, that's brutal!!

That's so sweet that the stranger helped Caitlin out...kinda like your own personal Baymax! (But not as squishy)

The rain definitely sucked some of the magic out of running through disney. Apparently pixie dust does not apply to mother nature, haha.
The kind stranger was definitely not as squishy as Baymax...but now I'm picturing Baymax running a marathon...."I am not fast." :rotfl2:

I love that you rode EE and I think it's so funny how everyone is taking selfies on it. Such a sign of the times. I can only imagine all the IG posts that were uploaded after that. What a great experience for you guys!

So happy that Caitlin was able to continue on. So sweet that you stuck together through it. You're nearly at the end of your race. Can't wait to read about the finish line!

I love that you rode EE and I think it's so funny how everyone is taking selfies on it. Such a sign of the times. I can only imagine all the IG posts that were uploaded after that. What a great experience for you guys!

So happy that Caitlin was able to continue on. So sweet that you stuck together through it. You're nearly at the end of your race. Can't wait to read about the finish line!

I was thinking the same thing about "a sign of the times" as we watched the train in front of us load and everyone start taking selfies...even in our selfie you can see all the other arms up! If I had IG, I'm sure I would have been all over that, haha.

Walt Disney World Marathon (Miles 23-26.2)

We passed the Hess Station by the Epcot resort area and turned to head into Hollywood Studios, entering backstage behind Tower of Terror and Rock n’ Roller Coaster. It’s interesting to see the building layout for Rock n’ Roller Coaster because it stretches so far back from the ride entrance in the park. The Incredibles were out and we attempted a photo:

16431717158_676b9328d6_c.jpg

I guess we weren’t quite ready, hahaha! Oh well! We ran through parts of Backlot Tour (RIP!) and came across mile 23 near the Streets of America!

16617782371_aef6e9fefb_c.jpg

We passed the hat (also RIP!) and stopped near the park entrance so Caitlin could go to the bathroom again.
Are you sensing a theme of my race here? It was hydration! ...and the Disney parks bathroom tour... I took a selfie while I waited!

16433110779_3f519a413f_z.jpg

We headed out the front of the park to the Boardwalk area. Here I started to get really excited! We were almost there! However, in my excitement I underestimated how long the end of this race would feel especially when it started to rain again.
The rain sucked. A lot. But there was a ton of spectator support in this stretch which was greatly appreciated-especially the woman who was singing the “Rocky” theme into a megaphone and the people who were giving out free food. Races are the only time it's acceptable to take animal crackers from a total stranger-and they were a big pick me up at the time!

We hit mile 24 at the start of the Boardwalk.

16618909455_f42da47744_c.jpg

I don’t think there were any characters out for the next mile, but I’m not entirely sure. We pretty much totally focused on trying to cover as much ground as possible and not slip on the wet paths. I remember passing the Fairy Godmother, who was encouraging runners right before we entered Epcot. We entered Epcot via a backstage entrance in the UK pavilion and found mile 25 in France!

16431723008_2f9e58d868_c.jpg

With one mile to go we decided we were going to make it count and stop for as many pictures as possible! So, we met Aurora, Jasmine, Mulan and Duffy on our way to Future World!

16433104169_7047069a7e_c.jpg

16618269692_56abc1dcef_c.jpg

16617781591_ed1bbb4acd_c.jpg

16618269422_bf522cd938_c.jpg

Prior to the race, we had considered stopping in Mexico to buy a margarita for the finish. However, once we got here, we decided, and I quote “aint nobody got time for that!” We passed Spaceship Earth and headed out of the park into the parking lot where we found mile 26!

16618269302_e4930b7fe3_c.jpg

That’s it!! We did it! It was a great feeling to see this sign because now we could probably crawl and still cover the last .2 miles to go. The Gospel Choir was singing, we were running
(I was shuffling-I wouldn’t call it running for me at that point!), and there was the finish line! WE DID IT! First marathon complete!

16617775091_70b9d6f628_c.jpg

Here’s a medal close up:

16617773251_78cbe2892c_c.jpg

These medals were amazing-my favorite two out of the 8 Disney medals that we have. Every time I looked at and give that goofy medal a spin, I felt like it was worth every second of pain!

We were happy to be done, but also wet, tired, and sore so we didn’t hang around long. There was a bus waiting so we hopped on and headed home. Okay, okay- you caught me! There was no hopping on the bus after 26.2. The woman in front of me was struggling so I offered to push up the stairs, promising it was a serious offer. She took me up on it so I literally shoved from behind while she climbed HAHAHA!

I made it up okay, but Caitlin had to climb down backwards to get off the coach bus when we got back to the resort!

Once we got back to the room it was shower and nap time! I thought it would feel like we had the whole afternoon for recovery but already it was time to get dressed and getting moving (or attempt to) to get to our dinner reservation.
This may have been because we were so sore and tired that we were changing and showering in SLOOOOW motion. #marathonerproblems

Love that goofy medal! Congrats on the challenge it is definitely on my list of things to do. I am going to go for my first half marathon in 2016! Some good character stops in there as well. I heard Duffy didn't have a very long line ever. Can't wait to hear more.

Love that goofy medal! Congrats on the challenge it is definitely on my list of things to do. I am going to go for my first half marathon in 2016! Some good character stops in there as well. I heard Duffy didn't have a very long line ever. Can't wait to hear more.

Definitely worth doing- double the race, double the fun! Right?...Right?! :eek: :rotfl2:

All four stops we made in World Showcase had no wait. It could have been a combination of the rain/mist and being close to the finish (where people just want to be done!)

I know what you mean with the RnRC building. So many of the ride buildings are so massive.

Well, at least you got to do the Backlot Tour one more time... sort of.

Haha, that's so cool hearing about how into everything the spectators get. The Rocky theme, that's awesome.

I'd be the same way if I ever did a RunDisney event. The last mile I'm doing ALLLLLLL the characters even if I just want to finish.

party:CONGRATULATIONS to you both. This really is a marvellous achievement and you'll know that every time you look at those medals that you truly earned them. :goodvibes

I know what you mean with the RnRC building. So many of the ride buildings are so massive.

Well, at least you got to do the Backlot Tour one more time... sort of.

Haha, that's so cool hearing about how into everything the spectators get. The Rocky theme, that's awesome.

I'd be the same way if I ever did a RunDisney event. The last mile I'm doing ALLLLLLL the characters even if I just want to finish.

party:CONGRATULATIONS to you both. This really is a marvellous achievement and you'll know that every time you look at those medals that you truly earned them. :goodvibes

The rocky woman was the best! She was so dedicated, haha.
Spectators are one of the best parts of any event, between the signs and the food and the cheering, it really adds to the atmosphere! It was especially fun at Disney because they put your name on your bib, so strangers can cheer for you by name!

Those characters were the only thing that got me through that last mile. My legs were so dead that I couldn't think about running a whole mile, I could only muster running from character to character....I saw Duffy out with no line and even managed to pick up the pace a little at that point!

Ladies, you did it!! Congratulations, marathoners! :yay:

Totally agree with you, those medals are pretty great. :)

So when is Goofy #2?? ;)

Ladies, you did it!! Congratulations, marathoners! :yay:

Totally agree with you, those medals are pretty great. :)

So when is Goofy #2?? ;)

Thank you! Goofy #2 will probably be with Dopey #1...maybe 2018? :)

On a side note, thank you everyone who sticks with us and keeps reading even though we are so slow to post. I'm headed to California this week (yes- there will be a Disneyland stop!) but we're going to try to really bang out this TR when I get back!

All caught up! I'm loving your tr so far. You two must have been so proud of yourselves! Congratulations! can't wait to hear how the rest of the trip went.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter