There are no ugly people on the Disney Cruise Line video...

JESW

<font color=blue>We have 4 cats, 1 anole lizard, a
The kids and I just watched this video in preparation for our (first) up-coming cruise in April. I know that a lot of the folks in the video are "actors", but boy, they all look good! I am starting to get nervous about what to wear. Does everyone get so dressed up for dinner? Perfect hair - perfect make-up?? :) Aren't there any chubbies on board???

Jill

I agree---just got the DVD and the women with children--well let's just say I wish my body would bounce back like that!!! :rotfl:

If you are going on the May 28th West Coast cruise, there will be at least one chubby (me) on board. :)

I am a larger person and was very worried about when I got onboard. But looking back on it all, I never felt out of place or anything. There were many "NON MODEL" looking people!

:cheer2:

been on 3 cruises and the people and children and not perfect..okay some are...but in rushing to do and see everything I'm not going to take all my time getting ready for this or that. Go, have fun remember... everyone else is on their vacation and really not paying attention to anyone else.

Trust me, at first I thought the same thing! Believe me that is only a small representation of how it was on our cruise. On formal night, yes everyone looks great but otherwise, we're all just a bunch of moms and dads schlepping around after the kids! ;) There were just as many, if not more, poohs than twigs, me being one of the poohs.

The people on the video OBVIOUSLY have personal nannies to watch their kids while they get their hair and make-up done :rotfl2: Who has time to "get ready" when you have kids pulling at your pant leg wanting something...doesn't matter what that something is...just something :crazy: My hair is constantly in a ponytail as that is all the time I can get by myself to do and I refuse to wake up at 6:30 to look beautiful for other people...I'd rather have my extra hour of sleep :earboy2:

I am 5' 2" and 180lbs and I did not feel out of place at all on a real cruise. When I look at my own videos of the cruise, there are beautiful people, ugly people and lots and lots of the rest of us. :earsboy:

Most of the people, young and old, were having fun. An occasional tired toddler or two, but that is real life. It would be difficult to feel not beautiful enough to be seen in a swimsuit on a Disney Cruise...Ok maybe one of those thong things... :confused3

. . . and be happy. We just got back from the 3/5 7 day Magic and yes, there were some perfect people . . . one family in particular . . . they had to be famous, but I never figured out who they were. They were all gorgeous . . . all of them . . . Mom, Dad, kids AND granparents!

Other than that, they were all regular people. I almost never wear make up and I wore it one night to dinner. The other nights, I was like the woman who said it's tough to be perfect when you have kids pulling at your pant leg! I was clean, neatly dressed (not to the nines!) in nice slacks and sweater and I feel pretty confident that nobody looked at me and wondered which planet I'd come from.

Besides, the whole thing's a blur. There was so much to do and it's like that for everyone so who's looking?????? Just relax and have fun. That's what it's all about . . . that and making family memories. I will always remember watching my son and husband playing shuffleboard while I sat in a deck chair. And I will always remember being "king of the world" with my son on our "rough" day at sea as it was starting to get dark. The wind was pretty strong and he (8) and I were at the very front on deck 10 trying to walk agains the wind. What a blast! I'd like to say I have lots of memories of our daughter (12), but she was busy at the club. Oh yeah, I have one. I will always remember my daughter laughing out loud at the Welcome aboard variety show. And I'll remember some quiet moments sitting with DH on our verahdah.

On the other hand, I can barely remember what anyone looked like. Hmmmm. Fancy that!

I guess I'm normal then (my DH would say not!) because I am not Pooh sized or a twig!
I wear little make up and don't do anything with my hair. Although it's my first cruise, I am not going to worry about pleasing other people. I will follow the dress codes and have a good time with my family and new DIS friends! I have to admit that after dinner is over on formal night I am outta that dress!

do you know if a new video (dvd) came out recently? when i see it on the disney official site - it looks slightly different

We were on your cruise too, but cant remember seeing the glamorous family! Like you say, we were too busy having a great time to notice anyone who didnt have a perfect "hourglass" figure or a stunning "6pack".Its a great holiday when you dont have to worry about hair and make-up all day: besides, we too spent many hours walking the top decks in windy conditions and looked like scarecrows! Who wants to waste valuable hours "preening" anyway!Just be yourselves.............and enjoy!Nat :Pinkbounc

You will automatically look 10 years younger and 10 pounds lighter on the ship -- because of the pixie dust!!

Karen
Wonder 11/01
Magic 3/02
Magic 11/02
Carnival Destiny (don't ask) 12/03
Booked on Eastbound Panama Canal 8/05

On our first cruise, we were... by far... the heaviest people on the ship! I swear, all the beautiful people were on that cruise! I still re-booked. Since then, the average folk, like myself, have shown up! We have a wonderful time and never feel self-conscious about our "love-handles"!

When I have been asked this type of question I always answer with: what you see on the ship is what you see at your local mall--real people in all shapes and sizes. Go have fun, wear your swimsuit and remember, you probably won't see these people again. Happy Cruising, Kathy

**I must add, on a DCL cruise you might run into some people again. We have twice! Our table mates from cruise 3/03 were close to our stateroom in 3/4 and fellow DIS members.

The other thing to realize is that beside people of all shapes and sizes are on board (unlike the video where all the "beautiful" people are), that there is a wide spectrum of colors of people too (unlike the video where most of the guests are caucasians).

So bottom line: you don't have to be beautiful and white to take a DCL cruise and enjoy it!!!

The video is designed to make you want to book, so of course it exceeds even the Magical, Wonderful reality that is a DCL cruise. And those people aren't even actors--they don't really exist, they are computer generated animation, that's all...

This former h.s. tennis player turned 1/8 of a ton middle aged DISer does what he can, rationalizes when he needs to, and tries to enjoy things, big belly and all. And I point to myself every day to DS and tell him "don't let this happen to you, lets skip the french fries and have some green beans".

Dr. Atkins and Jim Fixx, the author of the complete book of running, are both dead and I am still here....may they rest in peace, and keep your hands and fingers away from my plate at the buffet....

This is so funny-I was getting so obsessive over the weekend about how I look in a bathing suit that DH made me SWEAR that I wouldn't let the fact that I haven't lost as much weight as I wanted to make our repo cruise any less wonderful. He seems to think I'm fine, but I'm always so nervous about going out in public in swimwear. Argh. However, I am determined to not care and to have a good time! Hamhock thighs be damned! :banana:

How timely this thread is...
Just got my DH to watch the Travel Channel special last night (on video) and we both agreed that those skinny women with the little kids were the nannies! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter