Therapeutic Boarding Schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefmickeymouse

Sarcastic, silly and socially awkward
A family member is seriously considering sending her teenage son to a therapeutic boarding school. Some family members are very concerned, (including me), because there are allegations of abuse (no charges filed, nothing that can be proven) at these schools and a few (also unsubstantiated) about the specific school they are considering. She ignores these allegations because the school's owner/director told her that they are written by people with a "specific agenda", teen rights, atheism, pro-psychiatric medication, whatever. And yes, they are unsubstantiated.
For those of you who don't know what a therapeutic boarding school is, (I didn't), it's a school for troubled teens.The one she is considering is one where you live in the woods with no electricity or running water. The parents have to sign over parental rights to the school. They can't speak to their parents for a month after arriving and all letters incoming/outgoing are checked by school staff. The director doesn't believe in psychiatry, he thinks kids are overstimulated by electronics to the point where they aren't able to enjoy anything, making them think they are depressed.
The school is very expensive. My family member won't say how much, but I have a general idea. She also won't say what the kid did other than that he is "very disrespectful".
Has anyone had any experience with this type of school? I'm having trouble finding evidence on-line that I can prove to be credible about the abuse allegations. I'm the first to admit I don't know everything, but the whole idea sounds wack-a-doodle to me. No way I would turn one of my kids over to strangers.

I might consider something like this, but only if it were the last resort for keeping my kid alive after ALL other options- like counseling, intervention, family therapy, in-service treatment, etc.,- had been exhausted. There are too many red flags here for me to be comfortable. The director doesn't believe in psychiatry (what's to believe, it exists, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't) and has his own opinions about adolescent depression. Are his beliefs supported by anyone in the scientific community, or is it just his opinion? What do they do all the time? Is it a work camp, or self-reflection? Are there testimonies available from previous participants and their families as to what goes on in the camp and if it's effective? I understand that they might be at the end of their rope and think they have no other options, but I would proceed very, very cautiously here. A month in the woods, no electricity, no running water, no contact with the outside world, and no parental rights? I'm not saying it could happen, but this is the perfect setting for some pretty nasty things being done to the kids. I find it mind-boggling that in today's society, where kids aren't allowed to do anything without constant parental supervision, that this kind of a program even exists, much less is attended.

A family member is seriously considering sending her teenage son to a therapeutic boarding school. Some family members are very concerned, (including me), because there are allegations of abuse (no charges filed, nothing that can be proven) at these schools and a few (also unsubstantiated) about the specific school they are considering. She ignores these allegations because the school's owner/director told her that they are written by people with a "specific agenda", teen rights, atheism, pro-psychiatric medication, whatever. And yes, they are unsubstantiated.
For those of you who don't know what a therapeutic boarding school is, (I didn't), it's a school for troubled teens.The one she is considering is one where you live in the woods with no electricity or running water. The parents have to sign over parental rights to the school. They can't speak to their parents for a month after arriving and all letters incoming/outgoing are checked by school staff. The director doesn't believe in psychiatry, he thinks kids are overstimulated by electronics to the point where they aren't able to enjoy anything, making them think they are depressed.
The school is very expensive. My family member won't say how much, but I have a general idea. She also won't say what the kid did other than that he is "very disrespectful".
Has anyone had any experience with this type of school? I'm having trouble finding evidence on-line that I can prove to be credible about the abuse allegations. I'm the first to admit I don't know everything, but the whole idea sounds wack-a-doodle to me. No way I would turn one of my kids over to strangers.

I'm sorry, but I gotta say it... Not your kid. Not your business.

I might consider something like this, but only if it were the last resort for keeping my kid alive after ALL other options- like counseling, intervention, family therapy, in-service treatment, etc.,- had been exhausted. There are too many red flags here for me to be comfortable. The director doesn't believe in psychiatry (what's to believe, it exists, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't) and has his own opinions about adolescent depression. Are his beliefs supported by anyone in the scientific community, or is it just his opinion? What do they do all the time? Is it a work camp, or self-reflection? Are there testimonies available from previous participants and their families as to what goes on in the camp and if it's effective? I understand that they might be at the end of their rope and think they have no other options, but I would proceed very, very cautiously here. A amonth in the woods, no electricity, no running water, no contact with the outside world, and no parental rights? I'm not saying it could happen, but this is the perfect setting for some pretty nasty things being done to the kids. I find it mind-boggling that in today's society, where kids aren't allowed to do anything without constant parental supervision, that this kind of a program even exists, much less is attended.

There are glowing testimonies from parents, on the school's website. It's a whole school year in the woods. There is school, and they work building the cabins they live in. I think they can have a visit with their parents at three months. There are tons of these programs all over the U.S. I didn't even know such things existed until she started looking into it.

I haven't found any articles with any type of information that isn't directly sponsored by a therapeutic school or association for therapeutic schools. That's something to consider.

From wikipedia I did find this: "The United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has recommended that decision makers ensure that any therapeutic program is accredited by JACHO,[19] COA,[20] or CARF International.[21][22] Instead, however, many of these programs are instead members of NATSAP,[23] a non-accrediting membership body,[24] which does not enforce ethical nor any other kind of regulations on its member programs and does not investigate allegations of professional misconduct and/or abuse of students.[25]"

So I guess at a minimum make sure the school she is looking at is accredited.

A family member attended a similar school, and yes it was accredited, and they had a psychiatrist evaluate the kids regularly. After the first month, parents were allowed to call weekly. Mail was carefully screened. If the kids behaved they were allowed an occasional home visit, but were drug-tested as soon as they returned to the school. It was a ranch setting and the kids (if they chose) could ride horses, the thought being that the outside of a horse is good for the inside of the kid. A lot of the teens were there for drug/alcohol intervention, so our family called it "rehab high." Instead of flunking out of his local high school (due to skipping class to go do drugs) he graduated a few months early. Grandma footed the bill -- it was about $100. per day for nine months. This was several years ago; no doubt it's a lot more now.

He graduated clean and sober, but has since gone back to his troubled lifestyle. He's in his 30's now, living with a woman with similar problems so it's a toxic mess. He also has two ex-wives who had tried to help, and two teens who won't talk to him. And momma and daddy can't intervene again because he's an "adult."

In deciding whether the intervention was worth it, you have to consider that he had molested his sister (who was 14 at the time) so it was necessary to get him out of the home.

My sister was looking into on for my nephew. She could not find a program that she could afford. He go to into more trouble and is in juvie for at least six months.

I had no idea there were so many of these types of boarding schools, for a variety of problems. Most of them are for a full school year. After searching they have them in other countries too, HOWEVER, time and time again the mission statement on several I found said basically this : " In most cases, students receive therapeutic assessments, medical and psychiatric consultations as appropriate, and individual, group and family therapy. "

So if this were my relative I would encourage her to find a more suitable environment for her child. The one she found sounds too much like a "home remedy no outside interference/answer to no one" type of place and that is damn scary.

As far as the glowing reports on the website well I could sign in under ten different email addresses and do the same thing, we all could it means nothing really. There are a multitude of other options.

My son's best friend was sent to one of these schools in Utah. I was really worried but looking it up there were several therapists on staff, etc and families were given access to a private webpage in which photos were often posted (my son was added, per request of the school, based on what his friend said about him) and in the end, I think it was a good place for that boy.

A school with so little contact, or oversight, and no therapists or other doctors, as you describe OP, does not sound like a reasonable risk at all.

The fact that the director "doesn't believe in psychiatry" reminds me of Scientology. They have been rumored to be affiliated with Narcanon programs for awhile. Of course, Scientology denies the connection.

And signing away parental rights? That's insane! I can't imagine why they would think that was okay.

After reading this, an ad for Diamond Ranch Academy, a Utah therapuetic boarding school popped up. Price is $210 per day, with an average stay of 10 to 11 months. So we're talking $1470 per week, or $64000 to over $70000.

For some parents at the end of their ropes, maybe this is a bargain. I didn't look into anything about the school other than the price. I think there were tabs for the types of programs, accreditation, testimonials, etc.

I'd be extremely wary of the school the OP's relative is considering.

Do states still run old-fashioned "reform schools"?

A family member attended a similar school, and yes it was accredited, and they had a psychiatrist evaluate the kids regularly. After the first month, parents were allowed to call weekly. Mail was carefully screened. If the kids behaved they were allowed an occasional home visit, but were drug-tested as soon as they returned to the school. It was a ranch setting and the kids (if they chose) could ride horses, the thought being that the outside of a horse is good for the inside of the kid. A lot of the teens were there for drug/alcohol intervention, so our family called it "rehab high." Instead of flunking out of his local high school (due to skipping class to go do drugs) he graduated a few months early. Grandma footed the bill -- it was about $100. per day for nine months. This was several years ago; no doubt it's a lot more now.

He graduated clean and sober, but has since gone back to his troubled lifestyle. He's in his 30's now, living with a woman with similar problems so it's a toxic mess. He also has two ex-wives who had tried to help, and two teens who won't talk to him. And momma and daddy can't intervene again because he's an "adult."

In deciding whether the intervention was worth it, you have to consider that he had molested his sister (who was 14 at the time) so it was necessary to get him out of the home.

That sounds like a situation where the response was appropriate. Thanks for sharing your story.

The fact that the director "doesn't believe in psychiatry" reminds me of Scientology. They have been rumored to be affiliated with Narcanon programs for awhile. Of course, Scientology denies the connection.

And signing away parental rights? That's insane! I can't imagine why they would think that was okay.

I just finished reading that book about Scientology. Crazy stuff. I don't think that's what this school is. It is a religious type school though.

I am familiar with two highly rated ones: Carlbrook School and Montana Academy. I believe both are about $70,000/year. I also think your family member should consider also consider relocating during the time her son is at the school, coming back to the same circle of friends wouldn't be conducive to his recovery. Good luck to him.

I haven't found any articles with any type of information that isn't directly sponsored by a therapeutic school or association for therapeutic schools. That's something to consider.

From wikipedia I did find this: "The United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has recommended that decision makers ensure that any therapeutic program is accredited by JACHO,[19] COA,[20] or CARF International.[21][22] Instead, however, many of these programs are instead members of NATSAP,[23] a non-accrediting membership body,[24] which does not enforce ethical nor any other kind of regulations on its member programs and does not investigate allegations of professional misconduct and/or abuse of students.[25]"

So I guess at a minimum make sure the school she is looking at is accredited.

I just looked on the website. They are accredited by NATSAP. Sorry, they are a member of NATSAP. Their academics are accredited by the state association of Christian schools. There are no psychiatric accreditations.

Last edited:
After reading this, an ad for Diamond Ranch Academy, a Utah therapuetic boarding school popped up. Price is $210 per day, with an average stay of 10 to 11 months. So we're talking $1470 per week, or $64000 to over $70000.

For some parents at the end of their ropes, maybe this is a bargain. I didn't look into anything about the school other than the price. I think there were tabs for the types of programs, accreditation, testimonials, etc.

I'd be extremely wary of the school the OP's relative is considering.

Do states still run old-fashioned "reform schools"?

The price you mentioned is near what I am finding this school costs. I had to find it in some web forums, it doesn't say on the website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter