Theft at the resorts--?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Dchef, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Dchef

Dchef Mouseketeer

I have been reading a lot on here about people locking up things in the safes and locking computers away and such. Is this a problem that I should be concerned about--I realize jewlery and money anywhere you are should be kept safe--but do you think it is necessary to find means to lock up something like a laptop? Just wanted to get everyones take on this.

Darlene

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. safetymom

safetymom Super Moderator

You should be very careful with your laptop. When you aren't in the room it should be out of sight. Either use a cable lock or put in a suitcase.

4. TLinden16

TLinden16 <marquee><font color=royalblue>Scotty and Ray at J

I always lock my laptop up in my suitcase. I don't really worry about theft in my hotel room, but I figure why take the chance of having the laptop stolen? I would never leave it open on the table or anything--it's just a good idea to protect your valuables.

Karen

5. beccasmom

beccasmom DIS Veteran

Yes, please lock up your laptop! I am bringing mine on my my next trip and plan to do so. We had some money (under $100) taken from our room in August. It was in an envelope and tucked away in a carryon in the closet (forgotten by my brother in his haste to pack for the trip; someone had given it to him to buy souvenirs for them) and it still walked. I am very wary always, but especially now. I think most of the WDW employees are very honest, but bad apples are everywhere. I only bring the jewelry I wear every day and never leave it behind. As for my laptop, I work from home on a regular basis.....I am very careful with it!

6. magicmouse2

magicmouse2 DIS Veteran

I have never had anything stolen from a WDW resort, even when the maid accidently left the door ajar whilst we were out!

7. DAWGPOUNDAJ

DAWGPOUNDAJ If my fanfiction readers don't kill me first, you'

YES! Definitely make sure your labtop is secure. If you don't want to lock it up at least please hide it somewhere in the room where a housekeeper is unlikely to look, like under the bed. (I did housekeeping in high school and it's the last place housekeeping would ever go during the cleaning process). My parents have had things stolen while at Disney while at the Grand Floridian and received basically no help in recovering the items that had been stolen from our room, and they were little things like a non-expensive watch they had sitting out, a bracelet, and my wallet (Mind you I was a kid at the time so it's pretty evil to steal a kid's Mickey Moust wallet with $10 in it). Assume anything can be stolen. I know it sounds horrible because it's Disney and it should be a happy place, but things happen there as well.

8. DAWGPOUNDAJ

DAWGPOUNDAJ If my fanfiction readers don't kill me first, you'

And while were on the subject, make sure your money is secure on yourself as well. While walking through the walkway under Cinderellas castle a few years back my husband (not then of course but now) and I got banged into rather roughly by a pick pocket. I realized that they had grabbed his wallet and grabbed the KIDS arm to keep him from getting away. I felt horrible doing t because the pick pocket turned out to be only 13 years old, and was doing it under, get this, his PARENTS orders. Obviously Disney personnel nearby discovered the situation, but by the time we caught the kid he already had several other people's wallets on him! How insane is that! The whole situation was awful and ever since then my husband has one of those chains with one end attatched to his wallet, and the other end attatched to a belt loop. So make sure your things are secure at all times in Disney.

9. Docsknotinn

Docsknotinn Mouseketeer

When I travel now I carry a front pocket wallet with my cash for just that reason. It also fits my DL and CC so if someone snatches my wallet they won't have much. Like so many others I always lock valuables in my suitcase or even better a in room safe.