The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darth, please tell me that we'll all be at Hogwarts by April 28th.
No guarantees. You'll just have to keep watching updates. I know, no fun...

Hey Darth,
Can you say how you are in a position to know, without giving too much away. I am going to Clearwater Beach in March, and I am trying to decide on a side trip to Orlando.
I personally know some of the TMs that will be working at Forbidden Journey. That's all I can say.

Keeping our fingers, arms, toes and eyes crossed for some sort of access while we are there April 12-16!

What can you tell me about what a soft opening typically involves?:confused3

Is it reasonable to hold out hope that we may participate in a soft opening during our April visit if the grand opening hoopla takes place the end of May-please give me your educated speculations-we cannot make another family trip for at least 2+ years.`
Soft opening = technical rehearsal. Express is NOT honored, operating hours could be very erratic, or it could be not operating at all. You are not guaranteed that you will be able to ride. Various effects may not be functioning.

I had heard that the hours extend in March and April, but that ends up being Spring Break. Someone else was convinced we'd have a soft opening then.
The more I think about it, the less I think they'll soft open it. They have to nail this out of the park. It will be the whole experience or nothin.
That being said, another photo update.
On one hand it makes sense to soft open, to get reaction and to make sure its working properly and to train....on the other hand, so much is riding on this they can't afford any bad reviews from people who dont know its just "in rehearsals".
Bolded text = crucial. No amount of practice runs can prepare the TMs for when there are real riders riding/getting stuck on the ride. It does help so that things can be figured out/tweaked before the Grand Ceremony. Merlin forbid the staff is not prepared if JK Rowling and Daniel Radcliffe were to get stuck on the ride. :scared1::scared1::scared1:

Example of Excellent Soft Opening: ROTM
Example of Being Fed to the Wolves: Rockit

Courtesy of Felipe, Orlando United
http://www.orlandounited.com

Felipe said:
Harry Potter fan sites have been getting this from Universal:

fans_wwohp_promo_05.jpg

The magical transformation continues. Although still very much a work in progress, the magnificence of Hogwarts castle is beginning to take shape above Hogsmeade as work continues on The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Hogwarts will be the home of a thrilling, new, state-of-the-art attraction - Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey - that uses ground-breaking technology to bring the magic, characters and stories of Harry Potter to life in ways never before experienced. Set to open in Spring 2010 only at Universal Orlando Resort, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter will feature multiple themed attractions, shops and a restaurant.

I recommend viewing it in one of the fansites, such as here on Leaky, where it's in enormous resolution.

Boy they have gotten alot done since last year
100_1000-1.jpg

100_0999-1.jpg

Very excited! Purchased tickets online at the beginning of the month. Spent 28 days at WDW in November. Now we'll finally venture elsewhere, for Harry. We are going in October. Not sure of exact dates yet. Having to work between different events. We won't be staying onsite. Do you think it would be worth it to buy the passes I read about that act like FPs?

Mary

Uh Oh! Not what I wanted to hear. I'll be there May 1st-9th.:sad1: I cut and pasted this from the blog at the top of the main DIS page:

'Regarding opening date, Universal plans to open the Wizarding World of Harry Potter late spring 2010. Delays may push the opening date back to summer 2010 (remember the opening delays for Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit), but a hopeful opening estimate is late May/early June. Interestingly, unlike other new theme park attractions in the area such as: Universal’s the Simpsons Ride, Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, Manta at SeaWorld, or Disney’s Toy Story Midway Mania, no soft-openings are planned for the attractions in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. However, there will be an invitation only gala VIP Grand Opening sometime in late spring 2010. Universal is likely to increase the 2-Park Unlimited Admission ticket price in 2010, so purchase tickets now to save money. Those tickets will be valid when you visit Universal next year.'

Uh Oh! Not what I wanted to hear. I'll be there May 1st-9th.:sad1: I cut and pasted this from the blog at the top of the main DIS page:

'Regarding opening date, Universal plans to open the Wizarding World of Harry Potter late spring 2010. Delays may push the opening date back to summer 2010 (remember the opening delays for Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit), but a hopeful opening estimate is late May/early June. Interestingly, unlike other new theme park attractions in the area such as: Universal’s the Simpsons Ride, Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, Manta at SeaWorld, or Disney’s Toy Story Midway Mania, no soft-openings are planned for the attractions in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. However, there will be an invitation only gala VIP Grand Opening sometime in late spring 2010. Universal is likely to increase the 2-Park Unlimited Admission ticket price in 2010, so purchase tickets now to save money. Those tickets will be valid when you visit Universal next year.'

That's really irritating. Late May/early June is NOT Spring. :sad2:

That's really irritating. Late May/early June is NOT Spring. :sad2:
I know it's discouraging but you know what's going to happen. Technically...Universal has until 6/30 before WWoHP must be open per the contract. So...let's hope it opens well before 6/30. :thumbsup2

Interestingly, unlike other new theme park attractions in the area such as: Universal’s the Simpsons Ride, Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, Manta at SeaWorld, or Disney’s Toy Story Midway Mania, no soft-openings are planned for the attractions in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. However, there will be an invitation only gala VIP Grand Opening sometime in late spring 2010.
I think it makes perfect sense not to do a soft opening considering the majority of the project has been kept quiet...which is very unusual. I would imagine Universal wants to make sure people are blown away right from the start instead of "leaks" taking some of the fun away.

It's funny- I'm actually split between being disappointed and being relieved! We'll be there at the end of April, and as much as I'd love to see WWOHP, I was truly dreading the crowds if it wound up being close to opening weekend! This way here, I know the crowds will be manageable (especially with FOTL) and we can go back next year for HP! It'll give us something to look forward to :goodvibes

Keep in mind that that portion of the blog was written back in September. The amount of work they have completed since then is really amazing.

I know it's discouraging but you know what's going to happen. Technically...Universal has until 6/30 before WWoHP must be open per the contract. So...let's hope it opens well before 6/30. :thumbsup2

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be open by 6/28 ~ that's the last day of my Universal vacation & I really, really want to see the WWoHP.

I agree with Rip cause that blog was written in september and the fact Universal doesn't want another HRRR mess up to happen with WWOHP

I'm wondering if they'll make a big opening date announcement during the Superbowl?
last year they did the free ticket promo and I think I saw somewhere that Universal (as a whole) bought some air time again... what they use it for, who knows... but a WWOHP announcement could be a possibility?

Just returned from Universal yesterday. We checked out the building of HP and DH(who is in construction) thought that May would be really pushing it. They are working seven days a week but did not seem to be in any rush. There is one building that still has exposed steel framing-if that building is a facade it could finish quick. If that building is a shop or restaurant then they are in trouble.

The British forums are says the HP Cast (some) are going to be there in May and they have said so in interviews. Universal has also put out calls(hiring) for Hp CM'S according to this wesite (Dis)..

It's funny- I'm actually split between being disappointed and being relieved! We'll be there at the end of April, and as much as I'd love to see WWOHP, I was truly dreading the crowds if it wound up being close to opening weekend! This way here, I know the crowds will be manageable (especially with FOTL) and we can go back next year for HP! It'll give us something to look forward to :goodvibes

I've just recently started posting in this section of the boards. I am not a Universal fan and the only reason I was going, was to see Harry Potter's World. I bought the $99.00 unlimited admission to two parks tickets only because they were cheap and for HP. Now I probably won't even be going to Universal during my May 1st-9th WDW trip.:mad::sad1: As you said though, at least the crowds won't be bad now for the people who normally go to Universal anyway. Oh well, we'll be back to WDW in Oct, so guess we'll make it then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter