The Wilderness Lodge FAQ (Part 6) Simbas and Tiggers and Humphreys OH MY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melissa,

I am so sorry you had such a turbulent start to your honeymoon. I hope the rest of the trip was much better and you didn't let that bother you.

Thank you for your review and your honest opinion. This is what the boards are all about (to me anyway).

I know that on these boards we hear many great reviews of the resorts but not many when the guest is not happy. This is because they know they will be flamed because they disagree with everyone who loves "their" resort.

What we all have to remember is that "Bad things can happen at great resorts." Now this doesn't mean that it will happen to everyone. And it doesn't mean that we have to stay away from the resort we picked. It just means that Disney Resorts are not perfect.

Again, I am sorry you had such a rough start and thank you for your review.

Congratulations on your Marriage!! :lovestruc Wishing you many, many wonderful years!!

I thought I read somewhere that the bunk beds at WL are on the smaller side. How big are they? Are they the same size as the bunk beds at Animal Kingdom Lodge?
Justintime
The Bunk Beds are the same as they have at Animal Kingdom Lodge the mattresses are twin size.

Beckie

Melissa,
Your ruined cake I know is devastating, I am so sorry this happened on a trip that was so special to you and Shaun.

I too am so sorry you have had a disappointing time at the Wilderness Lodge. Mold is never acceptable, I just hope the rest of your trip goes better.

Congratulations on your Marriage, wishing many happy trips to WDW.

Best Wishes
Beckie
:wave:

Melissa-I know it might be disappointing but try not to let it get you down. You are on your honeymoon at the Happiest Place on Earth. While everything about the resort might be disheartning, just try to remember that you are there to share wonderful moments with your new husband. :bride: Congratulations on that.

I am very excited for you on your honeymoon at Disney. I've been married almost 14 years and I am still waiting for a honeymoon. :rolleyes1

I'm currently at the lodge now for part of my honeymoon.

On friday, 2/8/08 the Blue Flag boat was NOT running at all. They waited for over an hour for the boat. My in-laws missed breakfast at the Polynesian for us on our wedding day because of this (yes, we know they could have taken the red flag in hind sight, but they were Disney newbies so the stuck with the original explaination we gave them to get to the Poly) (We were at the Poly - 2/5 to 2/9)

Our arrival day here at the Lodge on the 2/9 was horrible.
We were given a room (1138) with a bed you could tell was old & worn as it was curved in the middle, the bathroom door was broken and their was mold on the roll in shower.

We called for our luggage...told it would be 5 minutes...50 minutes later I went to the desk and they told me they lost it...
and then they found it

When we got the luggage, we discovered our top layer of our wedding cake was RUINED - like it was dropped. I have pictures to prove it and I was livid.

Shaun went to the lobby to get a manager because I was crying over everything over the first day of our honeymoon.

They couldn't move us then.

We left (and were late) to our dinner reservations & then the P&P party. We went back to the front desk to get someone and get a room change. They couldn't do it then but they offered to do it the next day.

We got moved to 5073. Its much better, although somehow the bell hops were able to ruin the top layer of the wedding cake more.

I used to love the WL alot, it was one of my favorite hotels; however, I think Shaun & I will be sticking to the Poly or Yacht Club from now on.

Murphy Law strikes again. Its your honeymoon, did you really think everything would be perfect? Try again when the stress level is not as high.:lovestruc

Refridgerators and Coffee Pots are in each room. (All Deluxe and Moderate Disney Resorts have them) It is better if you purchase the half gallon milk. The following photos are from Deb's website showing you the exact size.

wl177.jpg
wl173.jpg

Does the fridge have a small freezer section in the right hand corner? I am wondering because I want to bring a couple of sm ice packs for DS bottles.

TIA
Mrs. Disney Ron

Answer*** yes, there is a freezer. I found a picture on Allears showing it.

Can someone fill me in on the laundry situation? I read the facts about the laundry room on the first page, but I was hoping for a little more in the way of tips. We want to wash some items the morning before we leave for our cruise i.e. starting around 7-8 am on a Sunday morning (Mother's Day ;) ) Do you think I'll have any probs with availability? What about Saturday night after park closing?

Also, it was recommended to split a load between 2 dryers. I remember how AWFUL the Pop dryers were...took 2 cycles to dry about 8 items. How about the WL dryers...what's the most we can put in there to get our clothes dry in one cycle?

Can someone fill me in on the laundry situation? I read the facts about the laundry room on the first page, but I was hoping for a little more in the way of tips. We want to wash some items the morning before we leave for our cruise i.e. starting around 7-8 am on a Sunday morning (Mother's Day ;) ) Do you think I'll have any probs with availability? What about Saturday night after park closing?

Also, it was recommended to split a load between 2 dryers. I remember how AWFUL the Pop dryers were...took 2 cycles to dry about 8 items. How about the WL dryers...what's the most we can put in there to get our clothes dry in one cycle?

I have found that the laundry room is very busy at night. I think you will have better luck early in the am. We came back to the resort one midday and the laundry room was empty. I washed a load 3/4 full with my girls jeans, tops, socks, undies etc and dried them in one dryer without any problems. I made sure it was free of lint first. I think there is like 6 washers and about 12 dryers(maybe 10). HTH.

OKAY. I have been searching these sites and can not find my answer.. so here I go. My DH wants beer in his room. Where can we go to get him a 12 pack for the week.... we will be taking the magic express from the airport.
:confused3

MEN!:headache:

Wow! What a great thread; I'm so glad I found it. Thank you for providing so much information. We look forward to our first WL stay in April. My DS is a Boy Scout and is very interested in raising the flag one morning. We plan to arrive very early, leave the luggage and head to DTD. When we check in early will they allow us to try and put our name down for flag family or will they make us wait until 3:00? Is it really hard to get on the list? If anyone has any information on this I'd love to read. Thanks! :thanks:

Wow! What a great thread; I'm so glad I found it. Thank you for providing so much information. We look forward to our first WL stay in April. My DS is a Boy Scout and is very interested in raising the flag one morning. We plan to arrive very early, leave the luggage and head to DTD. When we check in early will they allow us to try and put our name down for flag family or will they make us wait until 3:00? Is it really hard to get on the list? If anyone has any information on this I'd love to read. Thanks! :thanks:

You can ask about the flag family when you check in, even if its early in the morning. We stayed at the WL for six nights and unfortunately it wasn't available at all during our stay. My son is a scout too (Eagle)! GOOD LUCK GETTING FLAG FAMILY!

You can ask about the flag family when you check in, even if its early in the morning. We stayed at the WL for six nights and unfortunately it wasn't available at all during our stay. My son is a scout too (Eagle)! GOOD LUCK GETTING FLAG FAMILY!

Eagle; Wow! I know you're proud!! We'll be there 7 nights so my fingers are crossed. It would just be icing on the cake if we can do it. If not, maybe better luck next time. (I guess we should rub Humphrey's nose before going to the counter. ;) )

We stayed at the WL from 2/2-2/9 - yes, we were part of the Mardi Gras crowd. My 5 year old DS now says we are not allowed to stay anywhere wlse in WDW.

We checked in around 4:30 PM, bell services immediately unloaded our luggage. I checked us in while DH parked the truck. We were assigned room 4015. The boys loved the view since they could see the pool from the balcony.

Our stay was fantastic. We loved the boat, and Samuel (DS5) LOVED the geyser.

Just a few pics from the resort.

DSC01267.jpg

DSC01271.jpg

View looking straight out...

DSC01275.jpg

View looking left...

DSC01277.jpg

View looking right...

DSC01276.jpg

Room pics...

DSC01279.jpg

DSC01284.jpg

DSC01280.jpg

DSC01285.jpg

BTW, we're heading back to the WL next February.

Brave teacher,
THANK YOU for sharing your pictures! They make me very, very excited about our stay in November!! I'm quickly falling in love with this resort.

I have only been to Disney once, and am still green with a lot of it all. So I apologize if this question is obvious....Your room was a Courtyard view, correct? We are staying Courtyard and I LOVE that you can see the water from it! I am really hoping we can get the King sized we requested and a view of the water.

Page 1 has an old menu for Territory Lounge. Here is a more current version, and it is what we saw when we were there 12/07. :thumbsup2 The flatbreads are worth visiting here for!!!!!!!!

Territory Lounge MENU
NOTE: All menu items/prices are subject to change
(Updated: 05/07)

Applewood Smoked Bacon & Tomato Flatbread - Applewood smoked bacon and tomato flatbread. - $7.99
Cheese & Fruit Plate - Cheese and fruit plate. - $7.99
Honey-Ginger Chicken Wings - Served with dipping sauces: mustard, peanut, and sweet chili. - $7.99
Nachos - Made with beef chili, cheddar cheese, and salsa. - $7.99
Pulled Pork & Cole Slaw Flatbread - Pulled pork and cole slaw flatbread. - $7.99

Specialty Beers - Choose from Red Hook, Moosehead, Samuel Adams White Ale or Newcastle Brown Ale. Price varies.
Specialty Drinks - Choose from Pomegranate Splash, Pear Blossom Cosmo, Tommy Bahama Mama, and Pomegranate Sparkler (non-alcoholic). Prices vary.

Mrs. Disney Ron

When we check in early will they allow us to try and put our name down for flag family or will they make us wait until 3:00? Is it really hard to get on the list? If anyone has any information on this I'd love to read. Thanks! :thanks:

It is really tough getting to be flag family. The longer your stay is though the better the odds.

If they tell you it's all booked during your stay make sure they put you on the waiting list. That's how we got to be Flag Family back in '05.

We were staying for 9 nights so I thought we would have a chance....but the CM said they were all booked up so I thought that was that....maybe next trip. 5 days into our stay we got a call from the front desk saying they had a cancellation. I couldn't believe it. The CM must have put us down on the waiting list without even telling us.

Okay, I have a question about transportation to the Poly. We have reservations at Kona Cafe at 7:30am. Now if I read the front page correctly, we can take the blue flag resort boat to the Contempory and then take the monorail to the Poly. Does this sound correct? Will the boats or the monorail be operating that early in the morning? I have looked and MK doesn't open until 9:00am that morning and there are no AM EMH. We will have our car, but I prefer to use WDW transportation if possible. Less chance of getting lost. I know, just from the WL to the Poly? Trust me. It can be done!:rotfl: Anyone's help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Okay, I have a question about transportation to the Poly. We have reservations at Kona Cafe at 7:30am. Now if I read the front page correctly, we can take the blue flag resort boat to the Contempory and then take the monorail to the Poly. Does this sound correct? Will the boats or the monorail be operating that early in the morning? I have looked and MK doesn't open until 9:00am that morning and there are no AM EMH. We will have our car, but I prefer to use WDW transportation if possible. Less chance of getting lost. I know, just from the WL to the Poly? Trust me. It can be done!:rotfl: Anyone's help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

To be honest, the blue flag doesn't always run at 6:45am as it claims it does. I was to host a wedding breakfast for all my guests at 8:30am on 2/8 at Kona Cafe. My guests waited from 7:30 to 8:30 for a blue flag boat to come and one never came.

Its really easy to drive to the Poly from the WL...all you need to do it go straight as you are leaving the WL and the Poly is on the same road.

It would be best to take your car, that early in the morning relying on Disney transportation to get you there on time is probably not the best idea. Since you have a car it should be really easy just drive straight through the lights when you exit the Wilderness Lodge and the Poly will be on your right. Really easy.

Okay driving there, but what about driving back to the resort? Will traffic be horrible a little while later? We are planning on going to MK that day and I don't mind to take the car, but we will need to take the car back to WL before we go to MK. Will traffic be horrible being that it would be close to opening time at MK. Or is it kinda side roads that we will be using and not the main roads that lead straight to MK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!