The What's For Dinner Thread - May '09(recipe index in OP)

Okay...so the field trip Story of the Day! Two this week...what luck!

It's kinda long....sorry. I was trying to capture how it was in real life but I'm not sure I totally did. It was more of the standard-issue "Nobody really has a clue" kind of day. :laughing:

(And yes, this year we did take a lot. Whoever was planning them just wanted to get out of the building a lot! :lmao: And it's first grade so we don't have the testing grades so we have a little more flexibility.)

The field trip today was Field Day. Yes, that activity common to most elementary schools. Yet most schools have theirs on site at the school. We do not because we have to drive to find a large piece of grass.

Anyways, the weather is not nice out. Not stormy, but cold (60) and raining. The irony is that last year, field day was canceled because it was too hot. It was in the upper 90s. We literally are about 35 degrees cooler than the same time last year!

Anyways, I'm on the way in to work thinking that there is no way we are going to be going to spend the entire day outside in this mess. When I got to work, the schedule wasn't posted yet to see what the verdict was. I went up to my room to find that they had cleared everything out of my coat closet to PAINT THE WALLS IN IT. :confused3 :headache: I was lucky though; my closets are tidy. All the stuff in it is in big crates so I just had to move the crates back into place in the corners. Some people just have stuff thrown in theirs and they came in to find a huge mess this morning. They did not warn us in advance that they planned to do this. :confused3 They make us put EVERYTHING in there over the summer, so I guess that's why they are doing it now, but still...

Anyways, I go to check the schedule for the day and I see we are going to be in the gym. It just says "K&1 Gym". Like...both grades, all day? Hmmm? Details would be nice?

So later they tell us K is periods 2, 3, and 4. Well, 4th period is LUNCH for K&1. They say that K will eat lunch on the floor of the gym. They say that teachers will not get a lunch because we are supposed to be on a trip.

(Our contract states we get a duty free 50 minute lunch daily....field trip days are the only exception to that....and our lunch is only 46 minutes...minor, but a contract violation nonetheless...)

They say 1 will go periods 5, 6, & 7 and we will not have lunch either; they will eat on the gym floor in period 5.

Now, we HAVE a lunchroom and we are IN THE BUILDING since the trip GOT CANCELED. So WHY do we NOT GET LUNCH and WHY are we making the children EAT ON THE FLOOR?!?

So...they modify this schedule. They say we can have normal lunch. So now, K is only getting periods 2 & 3 for "field day". We are trying to figure out what to do with the kids in the morning since they are upset we are not going anywhere, so we are allowed to put in a movie "as long as it's educational". I put in Cat in the Hat after borrowing it; they had to compare and contrast the book with the movie on a Venn Diagram while watching. :rolleyes:

So then...about 9:30, the "literacy coach" comes around and says quietly to me "Quick! Get your class together, we are leaving to the park on the buses!" :confused3:rotfl: I didn't say anything to my class; just start double-checking permission slips. They were working and I didn't want them going nuts. Then the AP comes and calls out to me "Who is not going and who needs a lunch?" and one of my kids is totally confused "This doesn't make any sense! Why is she asking this if we are staying HERE?!" :rotfl2:

2nd period starts at 9:30, so some of the K classes were already in the gym. They go out to the buses and wait. (It's STILL raining, by the way...)

At about 9:40, the principal announces that "Field Day has been canceled; it will take place in the gym." So now I'm texting other teachers to find out WTH is going on...what message overrides what?! So then the coach comes back and I ask what the final decision is. We are staying put for the day; carry on with the original (PLUS LUNCH) schedule. :upsidedow

The coach tells me that they had called the place and they had indoor facilities that we could use, so they were going to go. But then, they called back and told us that they "were wet on the inside". I asked the coach if "wet on the inside" was sort of like "they're flooded". She "thinks so". :rotfl:

And the whole time this scheduling chaos is going on and I'm getting interrupted CONSTANTLY, I have a GUEST in the room doing some sort of observation on a student as part of an evaluation. :lmao:

So the "field day" in the gym was mostly relay races and then that chicken dance song and the Cha Cha Slide. :dance3:

Oh and I found out that I "was selected" to be observed AGAIN. I'm wondering if it's because I didn't do hurricanes. But this time it is not just the AP...it's ALL the grade 1 teachers and the AP. :headache: The point is to "observe each other to give feedback and learn from each other." I was selected because I'm leaving. :confused3 So I told her I would MAYBE do this one on hurricanes. It has to be reading with a small group of kids. I found three books; they are called "Katrina", "Flooded Out", and "Penguins". I think we will be reading about some cold birds. :lmao: And when she asks; I can tell her the other books were too hard....they are grade 3 level. :rolleyes1

Oh and the AP is assigning summer work for the teachers...I DID get out of that. I'm surprised she doesn't want me to fly in from NOLA do do a presentation on something or other, like how to label things around the room.

This sounds SO familiar...:rolleyes1 :laughing:

Are you older or is she?

I made a chocolate pumpkin cake for dessert.

That sounds good, is the recipe here somewhere?

I might have dinner at some point tonight, I am still at work. :scared: We start open registration for the next school year and I am finishing set up. I may see if I can get my mother to throw the chicken in the oven.

Kat, you may have mentioned it, but my memory has been terrible lately. I'm sure you were a basket case, I know I would have been. Now that I know all of that, I honestly don't know how you sat in those stands for all those games without needing medication. Bless you honey.

:rotfl::rotfl: I'd feel the same way. Kenny thinks it would be great fun to spend a long weekend in the mountains climbing! I told him to take the kids and I hope they have a great time. ;)

Did I say I wasn't medicated?;)

I'm not a rock/mountain climbing one either, let them go and enjoy alone time!

Ok Kat, here is the scallop recipe. Your stuffed chop recipe is in the oven and smelling good.

Bourbon Scallops with Bacon

This sounds really good! Let me know how you like the pork.:goodvibes

Now that would be a great staycation! They can get ticks, blisters, and grubby, and you can sit home and sip wine, get a pedicure, etc. ;)
::yes::

Dinner tonight ended up being cheddar cheese stuffed burgers, onion rings & cole slaw.

Tomorrow we head to my niece's dance competition & then we will have dinner together.
My cousin & her friend are bringing their daughters on a cruise to Bermuda August 2 for 7 days....they wanted me to go & I called & got such a great deal!!! Then when I went to book it & being I would be alone in the cabin they almost tripled the rate so I have calls out to a few of my friends & hope someone comes through:confused3 My cousin & the other girls payed for a mini-suite & they will only allow 4 in the room:confused: Anyone up to Bermuda?!

****Mini-Meet**** girls the reservation is for 12:30 6/14 at the Chart House http://www.chart-house.com/ just click on the NJ location, the view is beautiful!!!

Sheryl, if you check in I hope your having a blast!!!

Kat, I can't believe the story of Kyle's surgery, I can't imagine how you made it through...he is a miracle baby.

Aimee, I hope you have good news about Ace:thumbsup2

Have a great Saturday everyone!

Did I miss posts from Vickie or Glynis??? I'm starting to worry.

Gretchen that recipe sounds really good. Did you use bay or sea scallops?

Hey, you guys! I'm way behind, but I've had a lot on a plate the past few days. The biggest of which is that Scott's mom is in remission!!! She is getting transitional chemo to "make sure all of it is gone" and will still undergo a bone marrow transplant. Great news!!

I have a day of rest planned today after we get our groceries :)

Morning,

Just checking.

Maria, good luck working out the Bermuda trip. You asked about Glynis wasn't she having PC issues or was that someone else??

Kathy, My DB's fiance's daughter had that same surgery as Kyle. Nerve racking to say the least.

Gretchen, I don't really love scallops but those sound great. DH would love that recipe.

----
DH has a training class today for the new job, so DS & I are going to return his shoes I bought yesterday with my DM. Why did the lady in the shoe store have to lie to a very pregnant woman and make me take a trip back there today!!!! I wanted to scream when I got home and realized what happened. DS is wearing a 7 XW right now, so I go in saying I need XW shoes for him. She proceeds to tell me the ones I want don't come in half sizes, so we try on the 8. Ok, I see him walk in them and think ok. I get all the way back to my DM's and am think I can't believe he needed a 8 XW. So I check the box, she gave me an 8 medium!!! I proceed to try them on him without socks, and he starts yelling take them off they are ouchie! Well of course they are he is not a medium, no wonder she gave me a larger size.
I checked online when I got home and stride rite did have them in half size XW. So needless to say I am returning today never to go back to this shoe store and ordered online . Sneaky sales lady tricked this very pregnant mom.

Not sure WFD - I have to wait for DH to take me shopping and I am not sure if that will be today or tomorrow.

Ann

Happy Saturday morning ladies! Hope everyone has a great weekend in store!

Gretchen--Your story had me :rotfl2:

Laura--my husband has brought up camping to me a couple of time, I'm like if by camping you mean a Holiday Inn, sure no problemo. But otherwise, you go camping and I'll stay home. Can't even imagine rock climbing.

Lindsay--glad to hear the cancer is in remission

Kathy--Wow, Kyle must have given you a heart attack or two growing up. I can't imagine being so worried about his head everytime he got out on the field to play ball.

We did have Friday night pizza yesterday. Not sure WFD tonight--it will require a trip to the grocery store.

Good morning!

I have a somewhat busy day, cleaning this thing that we live in. Alex is going to a pokemon tournament then tonight he goes to a Minor league game. We are supposed to be getting spotty thunderstorms today. I hope they spot somewhere else;).

I have a question, be honest. Do you think a graduation party from 8th grade is appropriate?

Dinner will be determined later since I will be on my own. :woohoo:

****Mini-Meet**** girls the reservation is for 12:30 6/14 at the Chart House http://www.chart-house.com/ just click on the NJ location, the view is beautiful!!!

Did I miss posts from Vickie or Glynis??? I'm starting to worry.

Y'all are going to have such a great time, please take pics OK?

Glynis, I believe, is on vacation. Not sure about Vick.:confused3

Ann - I lost my multi quote, that's terrible what the saleswoman did.:mad:

Laura is two years older than me, but I am still THE CHIEF IN CHARGE on Disney vacations. ;)

:rotfl2:

Good morning!
I have a question, be honest. Do you think a graduation party from 8th grade is appropriate?

It's done here all the time! We didn't, only because Kyle left after 7th grade, and went to 8th grade in high school.

WFD - Taking Kyle & Mariah out to Superior Grill for Mexican, then we'll come home for the Oreo Cake I'm about to make!;)

Have a great Saturday everyone!

That sounds good, is the recipe here somewhere?

All I did was take a chocolate cake mix, add 1 can of pumpkin puree, 2 TB oil, 2 eggs and about 1/4 cup water, mix and top with chocolate chips. Bake until done at 350 degrees. I baked mine for 35 minutes and could have taken it out 5 minutes earlier. It was good!

In my family we celebrate everything so a party would be okay. If there was an event at school celebrating I would probable have something at home too.

Nancy, don't misunderstand - I think the military would be wonderful for Patrick. He is the kind of kid who I think would really blossom under the military system. He does best with a lot of supervision, structure, and very clear expectations. I honestly think he would be a different child if his mother...well, that is a different story altogether. When the time comes, if he still expresses a desire to enlist, Kenny and I will be very supportive of that decision.

I would never misunderstand you :hug:. I know that in Timmy's case it is his father who :headache:. I also know that any child raised by the two of you is going to thrive no matter where he decides his future lies.

Ann- GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR to that saleslady!

Maria- I am so excited for out meet! Buddy has this major push to set plants and he cannot understand why we are :woohoo: him!

Ladies, we never got that nasty storm yesterday so Bud is out in the field today doing what he would have last night. We have Kady's recital this afternoon so I think that he and I will take her out for dinner and an ice cream after. Marisa's knee is in rough shape, the Dr thinks it is dislocated so she is going to head back home after the recital. She has n MRI on Monday so hopefully the Dr can help her after he sees what is going on in there.

Now that would be a great staycation! They can get ticks, blisters, and grubby, and you can sit home and sip wine, get a pedicure, etc. ;)

Beck and I definitely need to make that scallop recipe. My dad loves anything with bourbon in it, and of course, you had me at bacon. :thumbsup2

Well, it would be a great staycation except for the fact that Hailey is much smarter than Kenny and would never consider a hike of any kind as being fun. So I wouldn't be by myself. However, she is smart enough to know that pedicures are a fabulous treat so we could go get our toes done together. :goodvibes She is really, really cute in that pedicure chair. She loves the vibrations and keeps looking at us smiling like, "there is a strange lady massaging my feet. Is that great?"

And the recipe had me a bacon too. One of my very favorite things in the world is bacon wrapped scallops. I thought one day I might marinate the scallops in that marinade and grill them wrapped in bacon.

So the "field day" in the gym was mostly relay races and then that chicken dance song and the Cha Cha Slide.

That sounds lovely. :rolleyes1 How many more days til you are through?

Did I say I wasn't medicated?;)

:lmao: I should have known you were a smart woman. :goodvibes And Kenny and I loved the pork. He gave it a five.

My cousin & her friend are bringing their daughters on a cruise to Bermuda August 2 for 7 days....they wanted me to go & I called & got such a great deal!!! Then when I went to book it & being I would be alone in the cabin they almost tripled the rate so I have calls out to a few of my friends & hope someone comes through:confused3 My cousin & the other girls payed for a mini-suite & they will only allow 4 in the room:confused: Anyone up to Bermuda?!

Gretchen that recipe sounds really good. Did you use bay or sea scallops?

I used bay scallops but I think the sea scallops would have worked just as well. And if I had the extra vacation time, I'd be all over a cruise to Bermuda.

Hey, you guys! I'm way behind, but I've had a lot on a plate the past few days. The biggest of which is that Scott's mom is in remission!!! She is getting transitional chemo to "make sure all of it is gone" and will still undergo a bone marrow transplant. Great news!!

Lindsay, that is fabulous news!!!!!! I'm so happy for all of you.

So needless to say I am returning today never to go back to this shoe store and ordered online . Sneaky sales lady tricked this very pregnant mom.

Apparently this woman has a death wish. Everyone knows not to mess with a pregnant woman. Especially one that close to delivering. I think I scarred a 16 year old pizza delivery boy for life while I was expecting Hailey. He was 1 hour late with a pizza I had dreamed about all day and had saved up my sodium allocation for and I had to eat something else because he was so late. I cried and fussed and cried and fussed at him in my driveway to the point he looked like he just wanted to run screaming and just said "lady, I'm so sorry, just take the pizza" :laughing: My ex-husband was mortified. :lmao:

Laura is two years older than me, but I am still THE CHIEF IN CHARGE on Disney vacations. ;)

:lmao::lmao: That cracks me up. My younger sister is always Chief in Charge too. :rotfl: And I love her dearly for it.

Laura--my husband has brought up camping to me a couple of time, I'm like if by camping you mean a Holiday Inn, sure no problemo. But otherwise, you go camping and I'll stay home. Can't even imagine rock climbing.

I'm with you Stephanie!

I don't think so, but like Nancy, my family will use almost any reason to get together and eat!

WFD - Taking Kyle & Mariah out to Superior Grill for Mexican, then we'll come home for the Oreo Cake I'm about to make!;)

That sounds like fun! I hope you have a great time.

Ladies, we never got that nasty storm yesterday so Bud is out in the field today doing what he would have last night. We have Kady's recital this afternoon so I think that he and I will take her out for dinner and an ice cream after. Marisa's knee is in rough shape, the Dr thinks it is dislocated so she is going to head back home after the recital. She has n MRI on Monday so hopefully the Dr can help her after he sees what is going on in there.

Nancy I must have missed this about Marisa! I'm so sorry. :hug: I wish I could do something for all of you.

I've got to run now, Mom needs an outing so I'm taking her shopping for the afternoon. I'll try to BBL.

Lindsey What wonderful news I was wondering how your mother-in-law has been doing. Glad you posted and update keep us updated. Lauri

Good afternoon! I wasnt feeling well yesterday but I just wanted to tell everybody to have a nice weekend. :flower3:

Maria -- Good luck to your niece today. I hope you can work out the trip to Bermuda. I love Bermuda. I'm pretty sure Glynis is in DL.

Yes, yes she is. She is also head chef in the kitchen. I don't mind though. I have enough things I need to be in charge of...Beck can have vacations and Sunday dinner. :thumbsup2

my husband has brought up camping to me a couple of time

Greg has mentioned camping too, but even the kids think sleeping in the middle of the woods sounds like a bad idea, so he is outvoted.

Do you think a graduation party from 8th grade is appropriate?

Absolutely! That is a big step going from MS to HS.

Nancy -- Good luck to Kady today. I'm sorry to hear about Marisa's knee. How did she do that?

Gretchen -- The image of you and Hailey getting pedicures together made me smile. Have fun with your mom today.

Lindsay -- Wonderful news about your MIL!

Ann -- Like others have said, that saleswoman needs to learn not to mess with very pregnant ladies!

Bethany -- Always an adventure at your school, isn't it?

Liam has a baseball game this evening, so we will eat before the game. I might make the pizzas I didn't make yesterday, or I'll go to the fish store.

Yay!! :yay::yay:

:hug: Marisa

Greg has mentioned camping too, but even the kids think sleeping in the middle of the woods sounds like a bad idea, so he is outvoted.

Camping is anyplace without room service, IMO. :confused3 DH really likes to camp; we've done it once since we were married and it was right out of an I Love Lucy sitcom. If it could go wrong, it did. He's asked to go again, and we have friends that do it a lot, but I just don't know if I can bring myself to go.

The visit with the potential family for Ace went well; the wife admitted he was larger than she had hoped but he did well, was charming, and took to them okay. We'll see what comes from it!

My dad is coming over tonight so we're going to go see Up finally. If he gets here around dinner, we'll go see it at a Movie Tavern so I don't have to worry about dinner. :laughing:

That's great Lindsay!:yay:

Same here, my sis is 2 years younger and is also chief in charge. :rotfl:

Well the big day has come and GONE!!! Open registration started today and we got them done and out the door really quickly. :woohoo: Now to just get all of the paperwork processed. :scared:

Going home, putting on the nightgown and passing out in front of the television. Don't know what is for dinner tonight, I would really like some blue crabs but really don't think I'll have the energy to drive out to where I get them.

Marisa's knee is in rough shape, the Dr thinks it is dislocated so she is going to head back home after the recital. She has n MRI on Monday so hopefully the Dr can help her after he sees what is going on in there.

I must have missed something, what happened to Marisa?

She is really, really cute in that pedicure chair. She loves the vibrations and keeps looking at us smiling like, "there is a strange lady massaging my feet. Is that great?"

And the recipe had me a bacon too. One of my very favorite things in the world is bacon wrapped scallops. I thought one day I might marinate the scallops in that marinade and grill them wrapped in bacon.

I can just picture her now.:goodvibes I may marinate and grill the scallops too!:thumbsup2

The visit with the potential family for Ace went well; the wife admitted he was larger than she had hoped but he did well, was charming, and took to them okay. We'll see what comes from it!

How big is he, I thought he was pretty small? Praying they will want him!:hug:

Qick check in...had a great day. My niece performed 2 solos & 6 other pieces, one was so beautiful it made me cry...

No dinner tonight we had giant lobster rolls & fries for lunch:thumbsup2

Nancy, I don't know how I missed Marisa was hurt. I'm so sorry, give her a hug for me.

Kat of course we'll take pictures.....

Camping is a No- No for me!!!
I went once, I was 7. DM was talked into it by one of her friends who bought a pop-up trailer. It rained for 3 days & for fun we were "sailing" individual cereal boxes out the door to watch them float away.
On the third night the son of my mothers friend decided to throw up tuna salad, we were out of there a few hours later!:scared1:
No more camping for these girls!!!!

Have a great night all....

Quick check in before I head to bed.

I don't camp either. i was the first thing I asked Buddy, he does not wither. YAY!

Gretchen- I can see Hailey enjoying her pedicure :cloud9:

Maria-You must have been so proud! Those kinds of tears feel so good!

Charlene- are you feeling better today?

Aimee- fingers crossed that Ace is invited into his new home :wizard:

Marisa dislocated her knee when she was playing WII a few months back but it seemed to go back into place. I am not sure how she did this again but the Dr thinks that she also tore her meniscus but until the dr sees the MRI he cannot do much for her. She is in agony

Dinner was at a pizza house after the recital adn tehn we took Kady to a local ice creamery and animal petting farm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter