The What's For Dinner Thread - May '09(recipe index in OP)

Lauren -- Do you know where Tom was stationed in Germany? That is where Greg is heading next week.

Nancy -- I agree with you -- Disney seems really expensive on paper, but when you compare what you get there versus other entertainment complexes, Disney is better and often less expensive. Greg wanted to take the kids to this place nearby that has mini-golf, go karts, batting cages, etc, but it would have cost us more than $80 to do everything and it would have only kept the kids entertained for a couple hours. Also, only kids six and under pay child's admission. We went to the beach for $3.

Welcome back, Ellen!

Marisa -- How is your knee feeling?

Liam has a baseball game tonight, so I am going to pack sandwiches, and we'll eat at the game.

Kat- I meant to tell you your post about Kyle's game made me :goodvibes

Marisa- Kady has had a shock to her tired grumpy system as well. :lmao:She has had breakfast and then a snack and has been asking for lunch since 9:30!

The block mat of Nola's is not a 4 x7 rectangle so she is really out of sorts :rotfl:

Welcome Back Ellen, I would really like to hear about your trip:goodvibes

Poor Kady...so much adjusting. Lunch since 9:30:rotfl:
Nan, you have your princess back!

Marisa, I can't believe your back to work already! Wow! Don't overdue.
I'm still on house arrest, I'm scared of you & Nan!:)

Lauren & Charlene...what was the fundraiser for? Glad you had wonderful weather.

Vic, sorry about the ressie trouble, we'll need to figure something out. Hope "the boy" is feeling better.

Kat, thanks for the thoughts over the weekend! Would have loved to see Kyle's face when he heard you!

Sheryl, thinking & praying for you my friend.

Gretchen, if you need anything please let me know.

Ann, kiss our newest princess:cloud9: Hope your all able to get some sleep.

Greg made homemade crab cakes last night.....

:grouphug: to all.

Yes, salt would hurt but I don't remember the Easy Mac being real salty. You may want to try it first to see what you think. My issue would be more with salt on it's own, not really in a food, like a cracker or pretzel.

Um, I really don't eat much when I'm real sick (thus the weight loss!). I ate mac and cheese, chicken broth, and Boost. Ensure upset my stomach for whatever reason, all milk products upset it too so I couldn't do shakes. My GI tried to get me to drink shakes since they were high calorie but I just couldn't do it. Can he tolerate milk products? My GI also got me "magic mouthwash" I believe it's called. A mixture of Benadryl, Lidocaine, and something else - I swished with it before each bite to try and numb my mouth and throat long enough to get food down. It helped a little when my sores were really bad.

We are familiar with the magic mouthwash. I've been using it for Hailey for years. She tends to make any chapped lip or bitten cheek much, much worse by biting and/or picking at it. Dad has been using the magic mouthwash several times each day. Like you, that has been the only way he would be able to eat anything.

Thank you for the advice. I hope you had a great time at the show.

Gretchen -- For my mac and cheese, I just melt butter, a blend of monterey jack and cheddar cheeses, milk and a tablespoon or two of Velveeta. The Velveeta helps bind the cheeses so they are smooth. I use as little as it takes. It is definitely soft, and you can control the thickness with the amount of milk you use.

Thanks Laura.

Papa's Hot Wing Sauce. ( made this for lunch today for a bunch of folks )

Thanks for sharing.

Gretchen- I have been wondering what else your Dad may tolerate. How about a nice creamy soup or a veggie soup? You can control the sodium and add whatever liquids he likes, if he cannot digest dairy a cream stock with a roux and chicken stock instead of cream and milk.

Kady liked the Soy mac and cheese, her tummy and GI tract had lesions but she was able to eat this before she was all healed up.

We may try the soy mac and cheese. He's able to tolerate the dairy, but it would be nice to have the added protein. I'll work on some of the soups, I know he's eaten broccoli and cheese soup if we run it through the blender first, so I may check some of my recipes for soups that sound interesting.

Last night he ate some of the mashed potatoes so that's a start. I made them with butter and whipping cream to help up his calorie intake. Ours were not. I don't need the extra calories. :rolleyes1

I am back to work today. I have been working from home for 2 1/2 weeks, so this is a true shock to my system! I have enjoyed having Kady home for the most part, but she doesnt understand that when I am on a conference call, I cant chit chat about The Suite Life of Zack and Cody :lmao:

Take it easy Marisa, but I'm glad to see you're feeling well enough to go back to work and to want to go pick blueberries. I was telling Kenny's family about you last night. We went to Kenny's sister's house for my niece's b-day and Hailey had on one of the shirts you made her. She loves those shirts and she wears them weekly. Anyway, his family was saying how cute it was so I got a chance to tell them one of my internet friends made it.

Oh the good 'ol USA has never looked so good. We did some good work down there and accomplished a lot. I will tell you all about it, if you want to hear. But let's just suffice to say that a warm shower and toilet paper never felt so good. :)

Glad to see you back!

Gretchen, if you need anything please let me know.

Thanks Maria but your friendship is plenty. :hug:

If it would be easier to make the reservation at Cali Grill for less than 13 as Vickie indicated, you can drop my three and I'll see everyone at the booth surfing. That would bring the number to 12 if that would help any.

Tonight's dinner is roast beef po boys.

We may try the soy mac and cheese. He's able to tolerate the dairy, but it would be nice to have the added protein. I'll work on some of the soups, I know he's eaten broccoli and cheese soup if we run it through the blender first, so I may check some of my recipes for soups that sound interesting.

Last night he ate some of the mashed potatoes so that's a start. I made them with butter and whipping cream to help up his calorie intake. Ours were not. I don't need the extra calories. :rolleyes1

Two other good soups would be cream of potato and leek. You could also make a vegetable soup and just run that through the blender too.

You could add goat cheese to potatoes as well.

Does your father like cottage cheese? From what my DM has said that is high in protein.

I will tell you all about it, if you want to hear. But let's just suffice to say that a warm shower and toilet paper never felt so good. :)

Prayers to everyone and good thoughts to you all!! Prayers please for Jay, he left for Iraq on Tuesday. He is in Kwait now but will head to Bagdad in 8 days. Oh how my heart hurts.

I'd love to hear about your trip! Prayers for Jay.:hug:

If it would be easier to make the reservation at Cali Grill for less than 13 as Vickie indicated, you can drop my three and I'll see everyone at the booth surfing. That would bring the number to 12 if that would help any.

NO!!!!!!!! I suggest we split the group into two for ADR purposes only and two can call for the ressies (I can't call until Sunday), then somehow we can ask to be seated next to each other??????? We need to figure this out soon.:confused:

NO!!!!!!!! I suggest we split the group into two for ADR purposes only and two can call for the ressies (I can't call until Sunday), then somehow we can ask to be seated next to each other??????? We need to figure this out soon.:confused:

I second the NOOOOO!!!!!!
I have a call into somebody that might be able to help us!
Otherwise I can call the day after tomorrow~

Take it easy Marisa, but I'm glad to see you're feeling well enough to go back to work and to want to go pick blueberries. I was telling Kenny's family about you last night. We went to Kenny's sister's house for my niece's b-day and Hailey had on one of the shirts you made her. She loves those shirts and she wears them weekly. Anyway, his family was saying how cute it was so I got a chance to tell them one of my internet friends made it.

I am feeling up to picking, but Kady will do most of it. She loves it! I am glad Hailey still wears the shirts, if she needs more, PLEASE let me know! :flower3:

Poor Kady...so much adjusting. Lunch since 9:30:rotfl:
Nan, you have your princess back!

Marisa, I can't believe your back to work already! Wow! Don't overdue.
I'm still on house arrest, I'm scared of you & Nan!:)

I believe that she has wanted her lunch so early. She loves macaroni and cheese, but not the Kraft one for $1 a box, noooo only the Velveeta shells and cheese for $2.79. I dont buy it often but she saw it at Costco yesterday and I bought it. She was excited to bring it to Nana's today. I am glad you are scared of us!!! :laughing:

Marisa- Kady has had a shock to her tired grumpy system as well. :lmao:She has had breakfast and then a snack and has been asking for lunch since 9:30!

The block mat of Nola's is not a 4 x7 rectangle so she is really out of sorts :rotfl:

Doesnt surprise me.... :sad2: She was exhausted when she got up this morning. We were up watching Harry Potter again last night! :banana:

Marisa -- How is your knee feeling?

Liam has a baseball game tonight, so I am going to pack sandwiches, and we'll eat at the game.

It is much better! GOOD LUCK LIAM!

Marisa - Glad to hear you're back at work and Nan has her princess back but please don't overdo it my friend.:hug:

Hi everyone I am back!!

Oh the good 'ol USA has never looked so good. We did some good work down there and accomplished a lot. I will tell you all about it, if you want to hear. But let's just suffice to say that a warm shower and toilet paper never felt so good. :)

Prayers to everyone and good thoughts to you all!! Prayers please for Jay, he left for Iraq on Tuesday. He is in Kwait now but will head to Bagdad in 8 days. Oh how my heart hurts.

I have a LOT of work to catch up on and about 40 pages here. But I shall try to BBL.

Ellen

Welcome back! :woohoo: I want to hear all about your trip!

Well, I saw the GI this morning. It ain't looking good but he's going to take a look before going much further. My random symptoms all seem to point towards a flare coming on and my beloved Humira not working for me anymore. :sad1: I have a colonoscopy and upper endoscopy scheduled week after next. It was the first time I could fit it into my schedule :laughing:

I sent DH grocery shopping (heaven help us.) so we're having either chicken fried steak, mashed potatos, and fried okra, or pancakes and bacon, or thai corn chowder with shrimp.

Does your father like cottage cheese? From what my DM has said that is high in protein.

The funny thing is that we have no idea what he likes and doesn't anymore. He said that chemo has changed his tastes and things that he used to love he can't stand and he now likes things he wouldn't have eaten before. :confused3 So it is always a shot in the dark.

I second the NOOOOO!!!!!!
I have a call into somebody that might be able to help us!
Otherwise I can call the day after tomorrow~

I've done the two table reservation thingy before when my entire family went at Cinderella's royal table and they sat the two tables side by side because they were somehow able to link the reservations so maybe Cali Grill can do that. But I was worried since Vickie said they only could cater to a group of 13.

I am feeling up to picking, but Kady will do most of it. She loves it! I am glad Hailey still wears the shirts, if she needs more, PLEASE let me know! :flower3:

How nice that Kady likes to pick! My kids would smell the work part a mile away and run as far and fast as they could. Hailey wouldn't even participate in the Easter egg hunt at Kenny's mom's because when she picked up the first egg she realized there was no candy inside. She threw it down and went back inside to watch her videos. :laughing: Not that I blame her.

She is still wearing those you made, but I won't be shy if she wears them out or outgrows them. :lovestruc Thanks for the offer.

Well, I saw the GI this morning. It ain't looking good but he's going to take a look before going much further. My random symptoms all seem to point towards a flare coming on and my beloved Humira not working for me anymore. :sad1: I have a colonoscopy and upper endoscopy scheduled week after next. It was the first time I could fit it into my schedule :laughing:

Aimee, I'm so sorry. That's horrible for you. Are there other drugs that may work?

Photo alert! I have some pictures of food to share from my recent Caribbean vacation. In this post, I will show you some of the things I cooked.

Turkey Panini

3714730338_d4b5ab862d.jpg

Red lion cocktail:

3713917599_56a4197f48.jpg

Pasta with tomatoes and basil:

3713913711_a7546890c8.jpg

BBQ chicken

3714723402_158bfb2ebc.jpg

Hamburger

3714723020_850c3ccdea.jpg

Eggs benedict

3714721912_4e8a2611ab.jpg

Eggs with crumbled bacon and microgreens

3714721706_a0653502e9.jpg

Chicken panini

3714719312_5fdd74c45a.jpg

Blackstrap shrimp with thai vegetables and sticky rice

3713907761_627c527ebc.jpg

Grilled bacon wrapped chicken with avocado dip

3713908553_aca9c106df.jpg

The funny thing is that we have no idea what he likes and doesn't anymore. He said that chemo has changed his tastes and things that he used to love he can't stand and he now likes things he wouldn't have eaten before. :confused3 So it is always a shot in the dark.

Next time you go to the grocery store you could check to see if they have it on the salad bar and get him a little to taste.

Dinner tonight will be spaghetti with sausage.

I just did a long post & my computer ate it! :mad:

Aimee, I'm sorry your medicine isn't working well. I'll pray your dr. can figure it all out & get you back on track very soon!:hug::flower3:

Marisa, Enjoy the berry picking, but don't overdo it!

Becky, You amaze me! :thumbsup2

The wedding was wonderful! The church was just stunning as was the Bride! The weather was hot, but no rain. Just everything went smoothly & the Mother of the Bride finally looked calm about 1/2 way through the reception.
The food at the reception was great & the champagne flowed. It was neat, they set off fireworks as the Bride & Groom emerged from the car at the reception. Then they entered the building dancing with a brass band. Yesterday the celebrating continued with Present opening Gumbo Party! It was a great weekend.

However I think I'm paying for drinking while on antibiotics. My throat & ears started hurting yesterday. Bad headache too, which I blamed on too much champagne but it's still here today. I'm going to call the nurse, I think the surgery can happen as long as I'm not running fever. I hope!

Gretchen, I third that NOO!!! It will work out!

Maria, How are you feeling?

Kat, I'm glad you were able to see Kyle's excellent game!

Laura, Good luck to Liam & his team!

Restaurant food!

Farfallo with goat cheese and asparagus

3714737454_6cb8f7a333.jpg

bruschetta

3713926947_964d9afab1.jpg

corvina with kalamata olive pesto

3714737302_6f55be76b0.jpg

soursop daquiri

3714680502_1b4bcf356e.jpg

grouper sandwich

3713842633_8e9699b88b.jpg

pasta with roasted garlic, shrimp, arugula, and pine nuuts

3713830193_67342b1aa6.jpg

chicken roti

3713798081_be38d9a588.jpg

conch fritters

3714609092_eee4a40316.jpg

caipirinaha

3714572598_6edb1ac563.jpg

pomegranate mojito and margarita

3713750721_9acf4a9faf.jpg

grilled mahi sandwich

3713745435_81256253cc.jpg

Ellen, I forgot to say Welcome Home!!! It sounds like y'all did some great work down there.:thumbsup2

I spoke to the nurse & she recommended seeing a GP to be sure I'm okay for surgery. I was actually able to get an appt today!

Sheryl-- Hope everything goes ok and surgery is still a go.

Laura--Hope Liam wins his game tonight.

Amy--I hope you get to the bottom and start feeling better I can't imagine.

Ellen-- Welcome home. Hope it was a rewarding trip.

Marisa--Hope your first week gets easier and better and you start feeling stronger

Thanks to all with all the kind words and the shoulders to lean on lately. You all are very special. I also like hearing about the trip you all have planned wish we could go but I'll just be back to work for a month to 6 weeks and I don't feel right taking off but sure do love hearing about it.

Sorry if I missed anyone I'll catch up later I promise.

Maria-- How are you feeling? Do you still need to take meds every 4 hours to keep fever down?

Lauri How is your friend during?

Sheryl When is your surgery? Did you decide on the Carpal tunnel surgery?

Ellen Welcome back:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter