The What's for Dinner Thread- June 2012 (recipe index in OP)

Tom Yum Noodles

This was my dinner tonight.

My starting ingredients:

0106TomYumNoodles002.jpg

• Rice vermicelli, 200 g - soak in about 1 - 2 cups hot water until tender
  • Tom Yum paste - about 3 tablespoons (or more, if you like)
  • Tofu puffs, 100 g
  • Large Shrimp, 300g - peeled with tails intact
  • Frozen small shrimp, 250 g
  • Carrot - sliced as thinly as you have patience for
  • Snow peas - sliced thinly
  • Bean shoots - 2 decent handfuls
  • Coriander - diced
  • Ginger - finely sliced
  • Garlic, 2 cloves - minced
  • Eggs, 3 - beaten

Mix the Tom Yum paste with the rehydrated rice vermicelli noodles.

0106TomYumNoodles003.jpg

In a wok on low heat, cook the egg a little at a time. You want thin pancakes. Allow to cool and then slice thinly.

0106TomYumNoodles005.jpg

Gently fry the ginger and garlic. I dice the coriander stems/roots and add it for extra flavour.

0106TomYumNoodles006.jpg

Increase the heat to a medium heat on the wok. Add both types of shrimp and toss quickly.

0106TomYumNoodles008.jpg

After a couple of minutes, add the vegetables.

0106TomYumNoodles009.jpg

Toss for a minute and add the tofu puffs.

0106TomYumNoodles010.jpg

Toss for another minute or two and then add half the beanshoots.

0106TomYumNoodles011.jpg

Add the noodles.....

0106TomYumNoodles012.jpg

....and mix well. Toss for a couple of minutes and then add the remaining bean shoots. I like some of my bean shoots to still have a bit of crunch.

0106TomYumNoodles013.jpg

Mix again and transfer to a bowl. Top the noodles with the sliced egg and the diced coriander leaves.

0106TomYumNoodles018.jpg

My dinner!

0106TomYumNoodles019.jpg

princess::upsidedow

Tonight was veal picatta over pasta, with roasted broccoli.... David and I both agree this was the best ever picatta I have made.

The sauce coated the pasta beautifully and the capers were perfect.

We roasted the broccoli, with lemon and garlic and it complimented to veal perfectly.

Served with a wonderful Pinot Grigio

Dinner was delish..

Well....holiday time is over for me. Back to work tomorrow. The last two weeks seems to have gone in a blink of an eye. I sure didn't end up spending as much time as I thought I would have on the Dis!

Dinner tonight was burgers. I get my burgers from a great butchers at the Queen Victoria market. It really is so good that there is no point making my own. So, I just pan fried the patty with some onions. Put some cheese on top; lettuce, tomato and ketchup on the bun. And it is almost as good as some of the burgers I've eaten in the US.

And as we're back to routine, tomorrow is Tuesday....so we're going to be having baked potatoes. I'm not complaining.....DH fixes dinner on Tuesday night. I'm happy to come home to a hot spud.

Those noodles have me drooling!!! :cloud9:

We are in a crazy dinner time right now...
basketball season. :sad2:

The boys and girls share the gym, so we alternate between early and late practice. This week is late, so practice 5:30-7:30pm. DS will be home around 8, so late dinner. :guilty:

Not sure what we're having... something easy. :thumbsup2
Probably chicken nachos.

Then dinner OUT tomorrow night after the game!!! :banana:

Tonight is our meatless Monday and we are having a Quinoa and Black Bean dish.

1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup frozen corn kernels
15oz black beans, rinsed (I used dried beans, soaked and cooked yesterday)
and drained
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Saute onion and garlic until lightly browned.
add quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes
add frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.

Spaghetti with garlic bread. I'm trying a new jarred sauce that has been getting rave reviews (Victoria) & I threw in some Italian Sausage & a glug of red wine too. We shall see how it all turns out. Served over whole wheat noodles.

Last night we had Prime Rib, baked potatoes and green beans. Yummy!

Tonight is hot beef sandwiches with the leftovers.

Seven Can Soup for us. :thumbsup2

So easy & good! (The kids call it taco soup)

4 cans Minestrone Soup
2 cans Petite Diced Tomatoes
1 can of Rotel
2 Lbs. Ground Beef
1 Diced onion
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
Sour Cream
Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend

Brown ground beef and onion. Add all 7 cans, Worcestershire Sauce and Garlic Powder. Stir well. Cook in Crock Pot 4 hours on Low, 2 Hours on High, or Simmer for 30 minutes.

Garnish with sour cream and shredded cheese. Eat with Tostitos Chips (scoops work best).

Edit to add Vegetarian Option: Use Morning Star Farms "fake" ground beef crumbles (or any brand) instead of hamburger. Don't brown. Just brown the onion in some olive oil.

dgbg1001017750 said:

I agree. I hate sandwiches, but that sounds Super Yummy!

Turns out we went to Home Depot to exchange some stuff and had dinner at our favorite Asian buffet instead! Also we didn't have enough meat for two sandwiches. Us and the cats were hungry last night! :rolleyes1

Howdy, all! Tonight is Scott's monthly Geek meeting so I ordered a pizza :) Tomorrow night we will eat at church.

How are things going for everyone this new year?

Dinner tonight was Golden Corral Buffet with the basketball team - an hour away from home, but a VICTORY! :woohoo:

I've never seen so many things dipped in a chocolate fountain... bread, steak, cotton candy... :sick:

Dinner tonight was at my mother's. Curry, stir fry and rice.

2013 has started off well for me. Looks like if I'm super organised, I might be able to keep on top of work (gonna be a tough 5 months at work with the project I'm on); and if I'm super organised at home, I might be able to stay on top of the housework. Now.....if only I knew how to be super organised! :rotfl:

It's been a BOGO week...

Last night was BOGO SUSHI from our favorite take-out. 8 sushi rolls, 4 soups and 4 egg rolls for less than $40! pixiedust: Can't beat that!!! :banana:

Tonight will be soup and grilled cheese after the basketball game. Our local grocery store has some amazing store brand soups. Normally I don't buy them because they are too expensive, but they are BOGO this week!!! :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter