The What's for Dinner Thread- June 2012 (recipe index in OP)

I had an airport Cobb salad for dinner, that was a piece of chichen breast and greens with olives...not what I thought a Cobb salad was..... But it filled up the empty spot...

I had an airport Cobb salad for dinner, that was a piece of chichen breast and greens with olives...not what I thought a Cobb salad was..... But it filled up the empty spot...

Cobb Salad - How To Make Cobb Salad

Recipe Type: Salad and Salad Dressings
Yields: 4 to 6 servings
Prep time: 30 min

Ingredients:

3 hard-cooked eggs, peeled
8 bacon slices
1 head romaine lettuce, leaves separated and torn into bite-size pieces
Fresh herbs (of your choice)
2 cups chopped watercress lettuce (tough stems removed)
4 cups diced cooked turkey or chicken
2 avocados, pitted, peeled and diced
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/4 pound plus 1 ounce Roquefort cheese or blue cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon coarsely-ground black pepper
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Several long chive lengths for garnish

CobbSalad.jpg

Cobb Salad - How To Make Cobb Salad

Recipe Type: Salad and Salad Dressings
Yields: 4 to 6 servings
Prep time: 30 min

Ingredients:

3 hard-cooked eggs, peeled
8 bacon slices
1 head romaine lettuce, leaves separated and torn into bite-size pieces
Fresh herbs (of your choice)
2 cups chopped watercress lettuce (tough stems removed)
4 cups diced cooked turkey or chicken
2 avocados, pitted, peeled and diced
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/4 pound plus 1 ounce Roquefort cheese or blue cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon coarsely-ground black pepper
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Several long chive lengths for garnish

CobbSalad.jpg

li8ke I said, it did not meet my version of a cobb...

Scrappy dinner last night.

DH had to go out and when I asked DS what he wanted for dinner, he said pasta.

So, it was penne and cheese sauce.

....I made 3-1/2 lbs. of chicken francese last night, and brought it to the Tricky Tray we attended.....

What is a Tricky Tray? I'm pretty sure we don't have anything named like that here. Tricky Dicky....now that's another story.

...sometimes they are also called a Chinese Auction. Basically, there are tons of cool gifts/prizes that are categorized by price value. You buy tickets and put them in a 'bucket'or container that goes with that particular prize. Then, a 'caller' picks a ticket from each corresponding container, and whomever's ticket is pulled wins that gift/prize.....

....usually folks get a whloe table of 8-10 friends and everyone brings something to eat/drink, since it's around 3-1/2 to 4 hours!

...sometimes they are also called a Chinese Auction. Basically, there are tons of cool gifts/prizes that are categorized by price value. You buy tickets and put them in a 'bucket'or container that goes with that particular prize. Then, a 'caller' picks a ticket from each corresponding container, and whomever's ticket is pulled wins that gift/prize.....

We call them Silent Auctions here....only not so silent. For each item, there will be a sheet of paper next to it. You put a bid down for what you want to pay. Someone else may come along and put their name down and a higher bid. At the end of the night, the last name and last bid wins.

But in true Aussie style, I've never taken anything like Chicken francese to something like this!

They usually come as Cheese and Wine nights......lots of crackers, dips, cheese and bottles of wine. :thumbsup2

We call them Silent Auctions here....only not so silent. For each item, there will be a sheet of paper next to it. You put a bid down for what you want to pay. Someone else may come along and put their name down and a higher bid. At the end of the night, the last name and last bid wins.

But in true Aussie style, I've never taken anything like Chicken francese to something like this!

They usually come as Cheese and Wine nights......lots of crackers, dips, cheese and bottles of wine. :thumbsup2

....well, there's that too....some people eat their 'main' meal at home and just bring munchies or desserts....

We had Thai red curry tonight that I had made on a Thai cooking course today..it was the nicest red curry I've ever had (but I don't really like red curry, green is my one of choice) DH2B said it tasted delicious (he does do red) and would give all the restaurants we have eaten at a run for their money! We also had Thai spring rolls I'd made that were lovely & Tom yum goong soup that was horrific...tasted of pure salt & I didn't even add any as I knew the fish stock would make it salty enough...I won't be recreating that dish again, it was truly awful! We would have also have had Thai fish cakes but I left them in the fridge at the cooking academy...I'd eaten some for elevenses, so knew they were yummy! :(
I'll make them again on Tuesday along with a green curry as the chef gave me the recipe! :)

That sounds like an interesting evening Kim.

We're having Tater Tots, I'm having frozen breaded shrimp and Fran is having a Salami Sandwich. :lmao: I've been nursing a sinus problem for the past couple days and last night it moved into my chest. I've been feeling icky all day and this is the first time today I've felt like eating. Chicken Soup for lunch, blech!

zokaluse - you mentioned elevensies....is that a real meal in the UK? I just thought the Hobbits had elevensies and second breakfast!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter