The What's For Dinner Thread - July '08(recipe index in OP)

Good Morning!

Lori, I agree with Kat. You should get an award for road/microwave cooking! :thumbsup2 Good Job!

Becky, Looks great!

We are having rigatoni, with chicken, peas and mushrooms (well, shrooms only for me since the guys don't like them). Italian bread and salad too!

Have a great day all!

It's beans & rice night with grilled sausage.

Becky - Everything looks great as usual!:thumbsup2

The corn chowder recipe was asked for on our old thread. Here it is.

6 slices bacon, chopped and sauteed until crispy
8 ears of corn, kernals removed
2 onions, diced
2 small zucchini, diced
1 potato, cut into 1/2" cubes
4 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup cream or milk
1/4 cup white wine
salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper to taste.

Saute the onions in 1 tbsp. of the bacon fat (or use butter) until tender. Add potatoes and saute 5 minutes. Add white wine and cook until absorbed. Add stock and cook, simmering, 10 minutes. Add corn and squash and cook 5 minutes. Puree 1/2 of the soup and add back to the pot. Stir in the cream and seasonings. Garnish with the bacon and chopped parsely.

Makes 4 adult servings.

Hello all! Seems lots of people need this today :hug:

Had a long day on Saturday, was at a festival that the company I work for runs. And yet again this year I did not get any food there. :confused: I always swear I am going to and never get the chance too. Yesterday was spent on the couch recovering.

peanutsfirstphoto.jpg

Here he is: Peanut in all his profile glory! Isn't he beautiful!!!

Congratulations! :yay:

Take care when your standing not to lock your knees. There is a vein or artery (I can't remember which)that runs up the back of your legs. When you lock your legs it compresses cutting off the blood supply.

The pastor told my brother this at his wedding rehearsal. He said that that is what causes most grooms to pass out.

Good morning! I can't respond like I would like to, but I need to ask all of you something. I have had increasing pain in my right arm, which is now pretty much centered in the area of my elbow. The pain is really severe and nothing has helped it. Yesterday, not only did I have the pain, but the tip of my right index finger was numb. Today, my entire index finger is numb down into my palm. The circulation appears fine, but I was wondering if any of you have an idea of what this is and if it will go away by itself.

You know that sounds kind of like carpal tunnel.

Hi All!

Lori- I am impressed with the microwave cooking that you do!

Merle! Take it easy after that long weekend.

Dinner this evening is the bulgar wheat/ground turkey casserole I made a few weeks ago. The girls have been asking for it and Monday is a good night for popping something in the oven and forgetting it.

I did something to my email and it seems I spammed a lot of people :scared1:. I am not sure how but I think I managed to bring in a virus and now I cannot even open it for fear Marisa is going to kill me. I guess she and the rest of my email buddies got in excess of 200 messages from me :eek:

I did something to my email and it seems I spammed a lot of people :scared1:. I am not sure how but I think I managed to bring in a virus and now I cannot even open it for fear Marisa is going to kill me. I guess she and the rest of my email buddies got in excess of 200 messages from me :eek:

We had that happen when we first got internet access here at work. You probably opened an innocent looking e-mail and it grabbed your e-mail contacts. When it happened here we got hundreds of e-mails from all over the company one after the other. We sat here and watched it and they just kept coming. Took a few days for them to get it fixed it was so bad.

I am going to try a little something differant for dinner tonight. I took out salmon and I am going to make it kind of stir fried with artichoke hearts and then make some cous cous and beets.

Hi everyone. Can't type too much because it is very uncomfortable. I went to dr today. He's ruling out things now and is starting with simplest. Cannot remember what that is, but if the meds he gave me don't have me feeling better by Thursday morning, I am supposed to go back. Sorry I can't respond to anyone. This took forever to type. But I'm reading, I swear.

Hi everyone. Can't type too much because it is very uncomfortable. I went to dr today. He's ruling out things now and is starting with simplest. Cannot remember what that is, but if the meds he gave me don't have me feeling better by Thursday morning, I am supposed to go back. Sorry I can't respond to anyone. This took forever to type. But I'm reading, I swear.

Now you behave and quit typing.:laughing: I sure hope the meds work and that it's something simple.:hug:

:hug:

Survived the first day. All my kids and workers have gone home so I am going to hurry up and head that way myself. I laid awake until 230 thinking of all the things I needed to do this morning and then woke at 630 to get to church early so I'm mighty tired. If I go home quickly I can snag a nap before DH gets home =)

Dinner is shark on the grill with veggies and whatever else I pull together. What we were supposed to have last night! =)

I have such envy of all the different things you ladies prepare. DH says he eats anything, but really he won't. So instead I stick to what he prefers.

DH is working tonight. So he wanted some Naan pizza before he left. DS and I are picking now. I had a fruit salad, and the only things DS would pick at were watermelon and cheerios...is that well balanced?!?!?! He is so fussy.

I want to make some chowder this week, I am craving it. My DM made fish chowder last week, it was so yummy.

OKWMom- rest that wrist. I got carpal tunnel from my pregnancy with DS. The pain was intense, the only thing that helped was cortisone shots. Thinking of you, hope meds help!

Glynis- how are you felling little momma!

Becky- amazing food once again...I would love to taste about everything you have photographed.

**** Attn All **** FYI, If anyone needs to order their park tickets do so now. Did you all hear there is a rumor ticket prices are going up on this Sunday.

Ann

Hey Y'all,

Sorry, I've been a bit MIA lately, just trying to spend more time with Alexis & hubby, and a little less time dissing. I haven't been able to read everything on the old thread, just a quick skimming. So I'm sorry for missing stuff.

Chris had tons of food leftover from the wake, so we've been eating leftovers all weekend. I can't complain though, my SIL makes a mean gumbo!

Alexis is doing well. Unfortunately it didn't really hit her Daddy until after everything was over. SIL told me he hasn't eaten since Friday. So if y'all are inclined to, some prayers for my BIL-Rickie, would be appreciated.

Gretchen, Glad it's nothing too serious, please take it easy.:hug:

Glynis, He is beautiful!!! I'm so happy that the dr. had good news for you!!!:yay: Now please take it easy!:hug:

Becky, While I was doing my quick skimming, those pancakes made me stop in my tracks!! Mmm-mmm, as usual your food always looks so good!:worship:

Aimee, I hope your Grandad is doing better!:wizard:

Marie, Sorry to hear about your Mom. :hug: I hope they find something to help her feel better!

Lori, Girl, I am totally impressed with your on the road cooking! That's a heck of a dinner to do in a mini-mini kitchen!

Tomorrow we have a swimming/play date with the cousins. We'll either be eating cheese pizza, mac & cheese or pb&j for lunch! ;)

Gretchen, I hope you're feeling better. :hug: Please rest and do not worry about us...

Sheryl, Prayers for your BIL...:hug:

Thought I'd post dinner this evening.

Lori, I am so impressed you are able to do all that with a microwave and a mini fridge!

Hi everyone. Can't type too much because it is very uncomfortable.

Gretchen, rest that wrist and I hope the meds work so you don't have to go back. I hate going to the drs.

Sorry, I've been a bit MIA lately, just trying to spend more time with Alexis & hubby, and a little less time dissing.

I am glad Alexis is doing okay. I am sure the extra attention from you helps!

My thoughts and prayers go out to your BIL.

Today Liam had baseball camp, Caili had a morning gymnastics camp, and then Liam had a baseball game tonight. Caili wanted pasta for dinner, so I cleaned out my vegetables in preparation for the farmer's market tomorrow and made one that had fresh corn, green beans, vidalia onion, and herbs. It was pretty good.

Ann, guess what I made for dinner tonight....

2712578846_549e3089f8.jpg

Fish chowder, yum...it was so tasty.

I did hear that about the park passes. John and I have APs, Laura gets a military discount for herself and the kids...I guess I'll just have to deal since you have to buy the military tix in person so we have to go to SOG to get them (the closest base is 90 minutes from Laura).

Speaking of increases, did all of you with kids see the new stroller rates?? :eek:

Grandad is going home tomorrow; mom and her brother are still discussing his longterm arrangements... I'm trying to stay out of that =)

It was 105 today. OUCH! VBS had no outdoor activities - it's just simply too too hot. Thankfully we have a gym to use.

Hi everyone. Can't type too much because it is very uncomfortable.

Now you listen to Kathy and stop typing! I really hope that the Dr can figure this out and that the meds take the pain away. :hug:

I have such envy of all the different things you ladies prepare. DH says he eats anything, but really he won't. So instead I stick to what he prefers.
Have you seen what I cook??????? I would love to add some of those fabulous meals into my rotation but I have to ask if I really want to hear...

"meat and potatoes.....meat and potatoes. Can't a man just have meat and potatoes with gravy?????? Real gravy, not no pancake flavored stuff. And what is that stuff on my chicken? I can't taste the chicken."

"Eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For Dinner???????????????????"

"What is a chimichanga? It doesn't look like food :eek:"

or my favorite......
"That was good soup. Now,what's for dinner?"

Hey Y'all,

Sorry, I've been a bit MIA lately, just trying to spend more time with Alexis & hubby,

Alexis is doing well. Unfortunately it didn't really hit her Daddy until after everything was over. SIL told me he hasn't eaten since Friday. So if y'all are inclined to, some prayers for my BIL-Rickie, would be appreciated.

I think that your family needs to have you close by for a while. I'm glad to hear that Alexis is doing okay, but am not surprised that her Daddy is not. It really hits home when all of the people are gone, the house is quiet and life is "back to normal", except there is no more normal. I will keep Rickie in my thoughts and prayers :grouphug:.

Speaking of increases, did all of you with kids see the new stroller rates?? :eek:

I saw this as well as some of the other rate increases. :sad2: I know that prices rise but when you take them all together, a trip is going to be much more expensive.

Grandad is going home tomorrow; mom and her brother are still discussing his longterm arrangements... I'm trying to stay out of that =)

Aimee- you sure do have a lot on your plate lately :hug: It's good to see that your GD is going home, I pray that your family can make arrangements so for his health and safety.

Ann, guess what I made for dinner tonight....

2712578846_549e3089f8.jpg

Fish chowder, yum...it was so tasty.

I did hear that about the park passes. John and I have APs, Laura gets a military discount for herself and the kids...I guess I'll just have to deal since you have to buy the military tix in person so we have to go to SOG to get them (the closest base is 90 minutes from Laura).

Chowder looks scrumptious! Stroller prices are so crazy, I will be lugging mine as long as possible...I just invested in a heavy duty travel bag for it.

Have you seen what I cook??????? I would love to add some of those fabulous meals into my rotation but I have to ask if I really want to hear...

"meat and potatoes.....meat and potatoes. Can't a man just have meat and potatoes with gravy?????? Real gravy, not no pancake flavored stuff. And what is that stuff on my chicken? I can't taste the chicken."

"Eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For Dinner???????????????????"

"What is a chimichanga? It doesn't look like food :eek:"

or my favorite......
"That was good soup. Now,what's for dinner?"

You must be married to my husband's long lost brother!!!!!!:rotfl:
Sounds just like my guy too!

WFD- steak with bearnaise, rice pilaf, and grilled squash.

Ann

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter