The What's For Dinner Thread - Feb '09(recipe index in OP)

By the way, I am going to enjoy gardening through you. I would love to have a garden of my own but first, I don't have the time and second, I am a notorious plant killer. I even managed to kill a philodendron. :sad2:

Ok, as the daughter and sister of former teachers (both special ed), that just cracks me up. But now don't go ruining my Mickey ice cream love before I get my first one. I don't intend to read the nutrition info thankyouverymuch, so please, please, please don't tell me. ;)

I have plants in my house, and they are doing very well, but I don't know how to get them to Louisiana. We were going to rent a truck and I was going to drive down, and I would have put them in the truck and hoped for the best. Now, DH wants to go with a different company that does the driving for you and fly down (he says it's cheaper overall...and his spreadsheet does make sense...). BUT! They do NOT allow plants in the truck and I don't know how to get it on the plane. :sad1:

That was Public Service Announcement. DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, look at the Nutrition Facts on a Mickey Bar! :rotfl:

You know I love you, you make me :rotfl2:!!!

I saw it too, their oysters are awesome!

Hmmmm, let's see, if I recall you have ordered in pizza occasionally....:laughing:

Glad to make you laugh!

I was wondering if you saw it. And I meant to quote the person that said that watching him makes you lose your appetite. Me too, but the beignets and po boy were at the BEGINNING of the show, when he was eating a more NORMAL sized meal! :rotfl2:

I meant that I didn't remember if I mentioned WFD YESTERDAY. NOT ever! :lmao: Yes, we order in pizza roughly twice a month I think. Sometimes we actually GO and get a slice and eat it in the park. Like when its 92 degrees BEFORE the trees have leaves on them (read: VERY LITTLE SHADE!) :laughing:

I didn't mention it but yesterday was DMs last night in her current position, she starts new Monday & still has not settled into the idea at all, if you could keep her in your thoughts & prayers that would be much appreciated.

Best wishes for DM...

It's a thing our Cub Scout troops do. Each scout is given a rectangular block of wood and some wheels and axels. With their father, they are supposed to create a fantastic car that they will race. It's really a big thing here, and some father's have been known to totally leave their sons out of it so they can win. It can get really competitive, but luckily, ours didn't. It really was all about the boys.

One of the scouts made a car that looked like a pool table, and another one was a banana. There was also an ipod car, a creamsicle car and the Batmobile. There were several (like Jacob) that just made a hot rod. It was a fun night!

That sounds great fun !!

It reminds me of the film Little Rascals...

However, J.J. is left at home with the nanny. Instead of taking the time to make a car with his son, J.J.'s dad pays someone else to make the car, and then J.J. races it.
That makes me sad AND mad....poor wee scone !!

Holy cow Vickie! I didn't know you were PLAYING! I thought you would be safely watching. Are you sure you should be doing that so close to your surgery?
Oh god no.....I wasnt playing :rotfl2:

Did I make it sound like that ?

When I said we I meant my team...Glasgow Celtic.

It another beautiful day here.

DH is in the garden working,the Boy is away at street dancing and Ive got a pile of ironing to do...

Have a good one lassies !!

Good morning!

Today is a looooooooooong day, followed by a very busy week. I have activities until 230 and then a meeting from 3-6. I'm supposed to be at a staff retreat by 7 but I'm going to head out in the morning instead; I'd really like to see my mom one last time before she leaves tomorrow.

Dinner will be during that meeting. DH is on his own.

; I'd really like to see my mom one last time before she leaves tomorrow.
Enjoy your Mom before she leaves.

Vickie, I also thought you were playing:confused3

Rainy here, I had hoped to grill. Dinner tonight will be steaks, string beans & baked potatoes.
Greg leaves for Boston tomorrow until Friday....makes me nervous that he is going but the doctors cleared him so I just have to stay calm. Maybe I will join him the middle of the week, I'm undecided.

My belief is however you meet the guy if your happy great! I also believe love can be found online;)

Hope everyone is enjoying their day!

Gretchen- you are so sweet! Let me ask Marisa and I will get back to you. As long as you are conducting an experiment, have a Mickey bar for me....after a Dole float.

I would not worry about your countertops. I priced granite and decided that I was not going to use that much of my kitchen budget on that. I love my counters, they are laminate I think, and they are perfect for us.

Kat- I watched the race and was :dance3:when I saw that horse beat a path all the way to the front of the pack! Holy Moly!

Maria- I'm sure that Greg will be fine if the Dr's cleared him. I hope that you can join him midweek.

I will absolutely add your Mom in my daily prayers.

Aimee- I love your "picnic"! Buddy would be doing a Gretchen impression though so I would not be having fun.

Spend the day with your Mom!

Bethany- I am a plant killer too so i can only help you if you are looking to get rid of them. Then I have lots of ways to help them along.

Glynis GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR to that awful parent! I want to sing Cat's in the Cradle to him and believe me........it would not be pretty!

Vickie- "Poor Wee Scone" :goodvibes I pictured you cooing to that little guy, You make my day every day!

Ann- How is the little guy today? I hate it when they are sick, they cannot tell you much, they just are listless and have sad eyes :sick:

Janice- Feel better!

It is gloomy here too. I ran errands and cleaned an office that I do but ended up coming home before I got to the produce market because Kady did nto feel well. I think she is overtired. I wanted to grill a steak but it is rainy and while I would have handed Marisa an umbrella, I don't think I want to stand under one myself. We'll see.

WENDIE -

Please come back, we miss you!!!!!!!(I know you're out there)

Ditto on what Kathy said!!!!

Maybe I will join him the middle of the week, I'm undecided.

My belief is however you meet the guy if your happy great! I also believe love can be found online;)

Hope everyone is enjoying their day!

Joining Greg in the middle of the week could be a fun plan.

Did you meet Greg online? I love hearing how folks met their DHs.

Last night after all the talk of Mickey bars I had an ice cream sandwich!!!
Nancy now I have Dole floats on my mind!!!Thanks for prayers for DM.

Ann~ Greg & I did meet on an online dating site. He lived in Boston & I lived down here, we were long distance for quit awhile but it was worth the wait;) Hope your little man is better today. Send him an Auntie hug
Janice~ hope your feeling better.

Aimee your Grandpa is adorable:goodvibes

WENDIE we miss you:grouphug:

Ann- How is the little guy today? I hate it when they are sick, they cannot tell you much, they just are listless and have sad eyes :sick:

He has those big sad eyes and a runny nose still. He has been very snuggly today. We all have a little something going on around here. Thank you for asking, you are to sweet!

Ann~ Greg & I did meet on an online dating site. He lived in Boston & I lived down here, we were long distance for quit awhile but it was worth the wait;) Hope your little man is better today. Send him an Auntie hug
Janice~ hope your feeling better.
[/B]

Truly a happily ever after with your Prince Charming!!:lovestruc

I just gave him your Auntie hug, thanks.

WENDIE -

Please come back, we miss you!!!!!!!(I know you're out there)

Come back Wendie.....:love:

Ann~ Greg & I did meet on an online dating site. He lived in Boston & I lived down here, we were long distance for quit awhile but it was worth the wait;)

[/B]

Thats lovely.

My mum has been doing a wee bit dating from an on line site.
She met a wonderful man who adored her but for her it was just not there....shes still looking tho !! :laughing:

He has those big sad eyes and a runny nose still. He has been very snuggly today. We all have a little something going on around here.

Dont those big sad eyes just break yer heart !!

Give yer wee fella a hug from me...:hug:

Janice - how did I miss youse were poorly ?

Feel better soon sweetie.:hug:

Give yer wee fella a hug from me...:hug:

Janice - how did I miss youse were poorly ?

Feel better soon sweetie.:hug:

I think I missed Janice not feeling well too... :grouphug:Rest and get well Janice!

DS is getting alot of hugs today from his WFD aunties! Thanks.

WFD- I forgot some stuff at the store so we are trying to figure something easy out for supper. Weather is to poor to grill. I am thinking egg and cheese sandwiches on bagels.

Last night on the Travel Channel, that guy that eats way too much was on again (Man vs. Food) and he was in New Orleans. Kat, I thought of you because he ate oysters at Acme. He ate 15 dozen of them. He also (NOT at the same time) ate beignets (CDM) and a po boy (Mother's). Gosh I was getting hungry. :lmao:

I saw that! It made me starving, too! :happytv:

I liked the part where he went to Deannie's and had bbq shrimp. Man, did that look good. But the crazy tv guy ate the shrimp, shell and all!! The cook looked at him like he was a nut case! :rotfl:

WFD? Popeye's!

Sounds like a round of pixie dust is needed for everyone!

Today started out rainy, but it's turning into a nice day! Church was great! I feel like I've finally made it. I work with the children, and we have a little guy who is autistic, and also has cerebral palsy. Poor little guy! Anyway, he doesn't warm up to people at all! He won't look at you, or speak to you. Today, after church was over, he came up to me on his own, and gave me the biggest hug! I just sat down and cried! It was a great moment for me!

Now, I'm home. I put the Indian chicken in the crock pot before we left for church, but Leslie stayed home sick with a cold (we're not taking her out until she stops coughing and sneezing!), and she accidentally unplugged the pot! So, that puts dinner off for a while. Oh well, it gave me a chance to get the pina colada pudding made and in the fridge. The chicken sure smells good!!!!

Tonight, after dinner, we will be having Family Fun movie night. I think I told y'all that we're going through the Disney moves alphabetically, trying to get through them before we leave on our trip. Well, we are up to "R". I get to choose, and I'm trying to choose between "The Rescuers," or "Robin Hood." I love them both, so it's a hard decision.

I've been trying to decide whether or not to tell you guys this next bit, but feel you ought to know. I got a message from Lindsay on facebook last night. She is withdrawing from the DIS boards. She feels really badly about everything here on the WFD thread, and just feels like it would be better to withdraw for a while. She is so sorry that she offended some of you, and hopes that you won't be angry with her for her decision. Based on things going on in her private life, she felt it would be in everyone's best interest. So, there you have it.

Glynis, thank you for the update regarding Lindsay. I am sorry you were put in the middle of having to update all of us. I am glad she was able to confide in you and depend on you as a friend. I wish her well with her decision.

We stopped at Arby's for dinner to-go on our way into town tonight, got home, and found that the dogsitter had locked the door between the house and garage - neither of us thought to bring a housekey, just a garage door opener :laughing: So we sat in the garage and ate dinner while we waited for the sitter to run the key over.

This made me smile! :)

Today started out rainy, but it's turning into a nice day! Church was great! I feel like I've finally made it. I work with the children, and we have a little guy who is autistic, and also has cerebral palsy. Poor little guy! Anyway, he doesn't warm up to people at all! He won't look at you, or speak to you. Today, after church was over, he came up to me on his own, and gave me the biggest hug! I just sat down and cried! It was a great moment for me!

I've been trying to decide whether or not to tell you guys this next bit, but feel you ought to know. I got a message from Lindsay on facebook last night. She is withdrawing from the DIS boards. She feels really badly about everything here on the WFD thread, and just feels like it would be better to withdraw for a while. She is so sorry that she offended some of you, and hopes that you won't be angry with her for her decision. Based on things going on in her private life, she felt it would be in everyone's best interest. So, there you have it.

Glynis, that is a huge break through!!!! Kids have a keen sense of who really cares so I'm not surprised he picked you:hug:What a wonderful thing to have happened. Bless that little boy.
Thank you for being the messenger about Lindsay. At this point I have a strong opinion but sometimes it's best to let sleeping dogs lie....
Enjoy your dinner!

I saw that! It made me starving, too! :happytv:

I liked the part where he went to Deannie's and had bbq shrimp. Man, did that look good. But the crazy tv guy ate the shrimp, shell and all!! The cook looked at him like he was a nut case! :rotfl:

WFD? Popeye's!

Mmmmm....Popeye's! I forgot about the Deanie's bit. I've eaten there before. I almost fell asleep because all the fans and the shadows they throw around make me drowsy. :lmao: Good for the chef for the look he game him. The guy IS a nut.

And so is Anthony Bourdain or whatever his name is on No Reservations. His narrations are so "deep" lol. And he eats some pretty crazy stuff too.

I missed Janice being sick too, get well soon my friend!:hug:

I also missed that. Feel better Janice! :hug:

Tonight, after dinner, we will be having Family Fun movie night. I think I told y'all that we're going through the Disney moves alphabetically, trying to get through them before we leave on our trip. Well, we are up to "R". I get to choose, and I'm trying to choose between "The Rescuers," or "Robin Hood." I love them both, so it's a hard decision.

Wow that story was tender! :goodvibes I hope your DD feels better, too.

Okay going through the movies alphabetically? You're at R? Wouldn't The Rescuers have to go first alphabetically?

I hope that Lindsay decides to come back. :hug: if you're lurking.

We also have to retile the bottom of the kids' shower. We found out there is a leak under their shower that is rotting the sub floor. The tile guy assures me he can just cut out the bottom part. It's in a 50's yellow and obviously they don't make that color anymore so I'll have to use a whitish replacement and hope it will look like an accent color and something we meant to do. :rolleyes:

Good luck with that. My bathroom smells funky, like something died in the walls. :scared:

Today is a looooooooooong day, followed by a very busy week. I have activities until 230 and then a meeting from 3-6. I'm supposed to be at a staff retreat by 7 but I'm going to head out in the morning instead; I'd really like to see my mom one last time before she leaves tomorrow.

Good luck with the week. I hope you had a nice time with your mother.

My week is going to be busy too. I have a meeting after school on Monday, then After School as usual (only 11 more sessions of that!) T/W/Th, then Friday I have to leave right away to go catch the Amtrak to Boston. I'm excited about taking the Amtrak AND going to Boston - never done either. I like going to new cities. I want to get down to Philly once before I move, too. A friend from HS just moved there so now I know somebody there. I know I'll have a good time in Boston, but the thought of being out of town all weekend just stresses me out a bit.

Bethany- I am a plant killer too so i can only help you if you are looking to get rid of them. Then I have lots of ways to help them along.

:rotfl2: I tried to see if there were any restrictions on taking house plants into La, and couldn't find any. I don't think they are restricted as carry-ons either. What I did when i moved last was to put the plant in a plastic ziplock bag (no dirt on roots) with a damp paper towel and it made it through ok. The thing was, when I moved here I brought ONE LEAF on the plane.

The plant that WAS one leaf is now the one on the right in the pot with the yellow stripe.
miscapril09035.jpg

These are the others:
miscapril09034.jpg

(Sorry the pics are huge...)

I've been somewhat productive today; I got a quote from Geico for car insurance for the car I want. I got some more packing done (my house looks like a HOT MESS right now!). I finally got the salary paperwork done (the site has been down every time I've tried). I paid some bills and set up online accounts for a new credit card....but yet I still feel like I've barely made a dent! Oh and my DH figured out what he needs to do to get his driver's license in La AND he said we could get a LITTLE DOG in July!!!! :goodvibes :woohoo:

Lindsay was the original creator of the WFD thread. I hope she decides to rejoin us when she is ready.

Here is dinner. I made moules frites--I only found out AFTER I bought the mussels that Laura does not really like them!! Sorry Laura. How could I not know that?? Here they are:

3498011653_a4dbfdfdbe.jpg

Because Laura was sitting next to me, I was not really able to enjoy them either. She put the voodoo on me. :rotfl:

I made frites to go with, but this picture does not do them justice. My mom was really anxious to eat, and she kept trying to grab the basket before I got a photo. Hence the out of focus picture:

3498827228_24a8fc9e07.jpg

My whole house, and even my hair, smells like mussels. Yuck.

Funny story: I got up this morning and started cutting the potatoes for the frites on my mandolin. The mandolin has a feature that cuts the potatoes into that nice matchstick size that you (blurrily) see in the photo above. But, it is hard to slice potatoes while using the very essential hand guard. So, I was slicing the potatoes, sans hand guard this morning, while listening to the new Black Eyed Peas song, Boom Boom Pow. Imagine, if you will: Boom (slice) Boom (slice) Pow! (thumb slams into frite slicer). It was Boom Boom Ow! Always use the hand guard. :headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!