The What's For Dinner Thread - August '09(recipe index in OP)

DH is teaching DS now to say he is POPalicious!!!:lmao:

Disney fever is kicking in here. My lucky DSD is going to WDW tomorrow with her DS and DM.

Morning Y'all,
We had our first real test of getting DH & A out of the door this morning on my own. No aide & no DD, but We did it! Alexis is usually really pokey & slow in the mornings but she really came through this morning! Got dressed all by herself, even double knotted her shoes, brushed all the knots out of her hair, all I had to do was put it up in a pony tail. And she ate breakfast without stopping to talk every few seconds!
I was so worried about how I could get DH up & dressed & her ready at the same time. But now I feel sort of sad that she's so grown up!

It's those small successes that get us through the day, isn't it?

OK!

I'm home for a couple of days.

Let me just tell you how JEALOUS I am of your multiple tickers! Girl, take me along - please!! :laughing:

Aimee, did you receive your medicine?

Miracle of miracles, it was on my porch when I got home from work!! :cool1: I got in tomorrow morning on my way to work for my "loading dose", which is 2 injections. They want to make sure I know how to do it (doesn't look much different than my last meds?) and that I don't react. I am told that it's mucho painful so I'm sorta nervous.

We're having a hard week, so please excuse me for forgetting most of you and being sort of out of it. We now have Dad on oxygen and he is getting more and more confused. However, we did have some time alone together this weekend and he told me goodbye. The doctor said he is now on his downward spiral and it will only be a matter of time. Honestly, I'm praying for sooner rather than later. He has said he is ready to go.

:hug: I'm thankful you both had a chance to say goodbyes and that he is at peace. I hope the rest of his time on earth is comfortable and surrounded by family and friends. You will continue to be in my prayers :hug:

Disney fever is kicking in here. My lucky DSD is going to WDW tomorrow with her DS and DM.

:rotfl:

DH met an old college friend for dinner so I drove through a local BBQ place. Tasty!

Hey all! Another crazy day here. The best part was my car battery dying in the carpool line today. Good times. I was so embaressed. But a nice guy pushed me out of line to a parking lot, and the DH came jumped my car. Ugh! Ended up making for a crazy afternoon. We had spaghetti for dinner; not exciting, but easy

Aimee--glad to hear your meds arrived!

Sheryl--glad to hear that everyone got out the door okay this morning. Alexis sounds like quite the young lady'

She's not sure....I hope to have an answer Friday when we see her again. The steroids have really helped. :confused3
I wonder if she fell.....

Don't you wish they could talk and tell us what's wrong?:hug:

Too cute!!!

Hey all! Another crazy day here. The best part was my car battery dying in the carpool line today. Good times. I was so embaressed. But a nice guy pushed me out of line to a parking lot, and the DH came jumped my car. Ugh! Ended up making for a crazy afternoon. We had spaghetti for dinner; not exciting, but easy

So sorry this happened but thankful you were in a safe place.:hug:

WFD - Grilled pork chops, salsa rice and corn.

Good Morning!

A quick attempt to catch up...

Gretchen, prayers continue! :hug:

Lauri, Prayers continue for MIL.

Maria, Keeping Lily and Leona in my prayers...glad they are getting better. If you ever make shoo fly pie, I will be knocking on your door. That is one thing I always have to get when in the Lancaster area. Have you ever taken a trip there?

Kat, I am glad Kyle is doing great at LSU!

Sheryl, I hope you got the OK to drive and very happy things went well yesterday getting everyone out the door. Glad Alexis is having fun at school.

Aimee, glad you got your meds!

Marilyn, Hang in there with your busy week.

Stephanie, Glad things worked out with the car...I know its such a PITA when a wrench gets thrown into the schedule. Glad Emma is enjoying school!

Ellen, Hey there my friend. Sorry that Matthew is back at school...just think of the fun he is having and that should put a smile on your face. Glad Ethan is now doing OK at school. What alot of weight he had on his shoulders.

Ann, SO glad your trip worked out! POPalicious...how cute!!!!

Lori, Nice to see you home. I can't remember...are we going to see you at F&W? I think cruising the booths, right?

Janice, Glad you found that recipe...it looks yummy! Glad you had a good shopping experience with Alex. I took Andrew yesterday and he was not too happy but at the end of the day, he said he had a good time...

Nancy, When is Kady going back to school? Andrew starts the 8th. How is Nola? She is such a doll!

OK, so I was on a roll and now the baby is fussing so I lost my train of thought.

I will try to get back later. Taking Riley to the vet today and then heading to the pool. Tom is away so not sure what dinner will be...I have been eating too much lately. Maybe some Low Fatt Chow...its a healthier version of Chinese food.

Have a great day all!

Lauri & Gretchen, continuing prayers for your family members.

-------

DH is on call this whole week again. Last night the kids both got great nights of sleep, but DH got a call at midnight and was out until 3am! :eek: He was ready to kill someone. He is really hating this part of his new job and so am I. Being on call every other week for a week at a time bites the big one to say the least. Emma actually gave me a 7 hour stretch, her longest had been 5 hours.

WFD- either burgers or beer can chicken. Probably burgers tonight.

Hey all! Another crazy day here. The best part was my car battery dying in the carpool line today. Good times. I was so embaressed. But a nice guy pushed me out of line to a parking lot, and the DH came jumped my car.

What a day!

DH is on call this whole week again. Last night the kids both got great nights of sleep, but DH got a call at midnight and was out until 3am! :eek: He was ready to kill someone. He is really hating this part of his new job and so am I. Being on call every other week for a week at a time bites the big one to say the least. Emma actually gave me a 7 hour stretch, her longest had been 5 hours.

I know how you feel. Buddy is on a lowbed, which means he is responsible fro transporting heavy equipment from job site to job site. He never knows what time he will be able to get home and there have been many Friday afternoons when he is stuck in traffic trying to get back in order to the quarry in order to set the next job up. Or sitting for hours because his boss thought that seeing him sitting might make the job go faster. One thing I will say is that this year his late nights are fewer and that is not really a good thing......There is no such thing as a perfect job, at least not for us ;)

Lauren- Kady starts school sept 1st. She is getting ready :thumbsup2

I got home late last night as expected so dinner was just BELTs and some waffle fries:

3859026306_7804ace9be.jpg

Tonight is chicken, tomatoes, and squash.

BBL to catch up.

Sorry I never got back on yesterday to update y'all on Timothy's doctor appointment.

First of all - Gretchen, you are in my prayers. I know how hard it is to watch your dad going through this. I was the same with my mom. I'll pray for peace as the end comes; for both of you. Please let me know if there's anything I can do. I'm always here to talk if you need me.

Now, Timothy.

We got to the doctor's office, and he charmed all the office staff with his smile and his wave. I'm afraid my older children have taught him the "parade wave." Seriously, he waves just like Miss America. It's so cute, and the receptionists were going nuts over it. Once we got into the exam room, and I stripped him to his diaper, he began crawling all over the place, exploring. The nurse came in and got his measurements. He is 26 and a half inches long (75th percentile) and 19 pounds (25th percentile). I really thought he was heavier than that, but it's all good.

The doctor checked him over and found nothing wrong with him. Timothy kept trying to grab the stethoscope and thought the whole thing was hilarious. He is ahead of the game with certain milestones, and the doctor thinks it won't be long before he's walking, at the rate he's going. I did ask about Timothy and the swine flu. Since I was nursing, he might have gotten some of my antibodies, but just to be safe, he wants me to bring Timothy in when they get the vaccine at the office. Sometime in October. I'll bring the rest of the family in for a regular flu shot at the same time.

Then the nurses came in and gave him 2 shots, one in each leg. He howled indignantly for about 20 seconds and then it was done. However, as we were leaving, he gave his best "stink eye" glare at the nurses. When he saw the receptionists again, he turned into the charmer and gave them his best wave as we left. I was laughing so hard. What a little handful he's going to be!

Dinner last night ended up not being Greek chicken. I forgot to get it in the marinade in the morning. Instead, I cooked some bacon until it was done but not crispy, wrapped a couple of pieces around each chicken breast, and put them in a baking pan. I made a simple sauce out of sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, and a few mushrooms I had on hand. Poured that over the top of the chicken and let it bake for about 45 minutes. I also sauteed some zucchini in butter and fresh basil and we had that as a side dish. Yummy!!!

Not sure what we'll have tonight. Jacob is home from school with a fever, so I may just make breakfast for dinner. Everyone likes that, and it's fast and easy.

Glynis, glad your little charmer made out well. My DM keeps mentioning to me about the Flu a shot. Did they mention when they expect it to be out?
Emma goes for her 2 month visit the first week in October, not looking forward ot all those shots.

Change in dinner plans...brats and kraut subs, corn on cob, and fores or chips depending on what DH wants. I hate when I think there is something in the freezer and there isn't.

I am so moody today, not sure if pms and my friend is making an appearance soon. My poor DH I am being a *itch but at least I admitted it!!! :lmao:

It must be tough being on call like that, hugs for y'all.:hug: :yay: for Emma sleeping so long!!!!

However, as we were leaving, he gave his best "stink eye" glare at the nurses. When he saw the receptionists again, he turned into the charmer and gave them his best wave as we left. I was laughing so hard. What a little handful he's going to be!

Too funny, yes you're going to have your hands full!:rotfl:

Thank you to everyone for the kind thoughts and prayers. You guys are the best and I don't know what I'd do without you.

Tonight's dinner is Korean chicken thighs (I had this in the freezer - boneless thighs frozen in the korean marinade) which I will throw in the oven when I get home and serve with rice pilaf and green beans.

Morning all, another beautiful day here.

Gretchen- Your dad has amazing strength, you all must be so proud. My heart breaks for you family, I'll continue to keep you, your mom, you sister and the rest of your family in my thoughts.

Kathy- Did Kyle end up with the job that "only" had free rent?

Aimmee- We are close to the ocean but fortunatly most of our coastline is national seashore so there are very few buildings to be damaged. Our coast does take a beating though and many nesting shore birds don't do well. I don't want any of you worry about me, I think we're pretty safe. The water is so darn cold most storms break apart before they could do significant damage. I'm so happy for you that your medication has come in, it's great you have a doctor willing to fight for you.

Ann- Sorry that Ron being on call is so stinky, but at least he doesn't have the night job anymore. Good luck with the car and I'm glad you'll still be going to disney!

Glynis- Sounds like Timothy is perfect, but I'm sure you already knew that.

Stephanie- Sorry about your day, but at least you were in a safe spot. My battery went in my driveway, couldn't have been a better place.

Maria- I'm glad your pup is on the mend.

Janice- I'm glad your pup is so good about eating her veggies!

Off to get lunch ready and then off to run a few errands. Pasta salad for dinner.

Kathy -- Good luck to Kyle! Did he have fun hanging out with the baseball players? Is he trying out for the team?

Aimee -- I'm glad your medicine finally arrived. I hope the injections were not as painful as hyped.

Sheryl -- How did your appointment go?

Glynis -- I'm glad everything is well with Timothy.

Ann -- The on-call stuff would bother me too. I like knowing what my schedule is. I'm glad Emma is sleeping better for you. That makes things so much easier.

Lori -- Nice to see you back here!

Stephanie -- I hope you're having a better day today.

Nancy -- I'm glad Kady is excited about school. Liam had an allergist appointment today and the nurse asked him if he was looking forward to school. He gave her "The Look."

Liam had blood drawn today to see if his egg allergy has improved. We'll find out about that next week. He just came into my room a few minutes ago with a fever. I'm not sure what is going on with him. Yesterday he threw up in the farmer's market parking lot, but he said that was because he felt too hot and dehydrated. After a cool shower and some water, he was fine. Now he has a fever. :confused3

I'm making pasta with fresh tomatoes, corn, bacon and maybe some other stuff. I have a lot of vegetables in the house right now.

Glynis, glad your little charmer made out well. My DM keeps mentioning to me about the Flu a shot. Did they mention when they expect it to be out?
Emma goes for her 2 month visit the first week in October, not looking forward ot all those shots.

Change in dinner plans...brats and kraut subs, corn on cob, and fores or chips depending on what DH wants. I hate when I think there is something in the freezer and there isn't.

I am so moody today, not sure if pms and my friend is making an appearance soon. My poor DH I am being a *itch but at least I admitted it!!! :lmao:

My doctor mentioned that they are expecting a shipment of the vaccine in by mid-October. Of course, that's a best case scenario.

Hi Everyone!

Sorry I have been MIA for so long! Everything is hectic right now and once school starts everything should calm down. Hugs and pixie dust for everyone who needs it :hug:

I think we are done school shopping!!! :yay::cool1: NOTHING fits Kady from last year... NOTHING! So we did a whole new wardrobe. I did get her some more underwear last night, so I think all is done. She was good this year and liked most of everything we found.

She starts Tuesday so you will see me back on full time then!

Have a great day!

Liam had blood drawn today to see if his egg allergy has improved. We'll find out about that next week. He just came into my room a few minutes ago with a fever. I'm not sure what is going on with him. Yesterday he threw up in the farmer's market parking lot, but he said that was because he felt too hot and dehydrated. After a cool shower and some water, he was fine. Now he has a fever. :confused3

I'm making pasta with fresh tomatoes, corn, bacon and maybe some other stuff. I have a lot of vegetables in the house right now.

Good luck with the allergy results!

Jacob woke up with a fever today, too! He says his head hurts which is pretty telling, for him. I'm expecting a barf a thon soon.

We're having a hard week, so please excuse me for forgetting most of you and being sort of out of it. We now have Dad on oxygen and he is getting more and more confused. However, we did have some time alone together this weekend and he told me goodbye. The doctor said he is now on his downward spiral and it will only be a matter of time. Honestly, I'm praying for sooner rather than later. He has said he is ready to go.

Gretchen, I'm so sad to hear this. It is good that you were able to spend time together & that he is at peace about it. I wish there was more I could do for you. Just know that you & your Dad are in my thoughts and prayers. If you need to talk about don't hesitate to call me. I lost my Dad to cancer & it is an awful thing to go through. Love & prayers.:flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter