The What's For Dinner Thread - August '09(recipe index in OP)

Wow Nan, that chicken looks insanely rich! What is the name of it?

Chicken Deluxe

Kat- It was way too rich for us as it stood. Buddy said that he loved it but he will not be eating it like that again "will I????" :rotfl: Nope! Not a chance you are getting all of that butter in one place ever again! ;)

Good Morning!

Quick check in...I am taking Thomas for his 6 month check up...yes, 2 months late...:headache:

I am so sorry that Jan lost her battle...prayers for all.

Gretchen, Hugs to you my friend...the firsts are always the hardest. I will keep all of you in my prayers. I will mail your cookbook later.

Aimee, I am so sorry that you are still suffering...I will keep you and work in my thoughts and prayers.

Kat, Hope you're feeling better today.

Loreli, Wow you have too much going on...hope your son feels better and gets some good meds.

Dinner the other day was Kat's pork scallops in tomato cream...YUM! Last night was hot roast beef and mozz sammies with tossed salad. Today I am making meatballs for my Mom's bday party tomorrow. Not sure what dinner will be. Tom went back so it is just me and my boys. Andrew is going by his dad this weekend so it will be me T and the animals. Riley is doing OK. He goes back on Monday for a check up. He eye looks better but is still red in the cornea.

Nancy, that does look good but yes heavy.

BBL...have a great day!

My computer at work is not being helpful to DIS at work. We are waiting none to patiently for the computer genius to FIX it :rolleyes1. Have I ever mentioned how much I love waiting? :upsidedow

You must have the same computer guy that we have! :laughing:

Thanks for the "Welcome Back" s :hug:

We have had a lot going on lately- I had surgery 2 weeks ago tomorrow for a torn meniscus- I am recuperating wonderfully! I have another surgery on the horizon 12/09/09 for a TOTAL HIP REPLACEMENT!!! And yes, I am WAY too young for that...;) I am no longer working- miss the paycheck but LOVE the schedule. :thumbsup2

I think my son has swine flu- think anyone would get the joke if I served ham tonight?:lmao: We are headed to the doctor at 10:45.

I'm so glad you are recovering so well! Sorry you have to recover and then turn back around and do it again :hug:

Hope your son feels better soon.

I am still full from all the butter that was in the original dish, the veggies were cooked until translucent in a lot of butter. I mean a lot! I went through 6 sticks of butter and 2 sticks of margarine. Holy Clogged Arteries!

:eek:

Have fun tonight! :goodvibes

I am multi-tasking on my conference call, though I know I shouldn't... I leave around lunch for Austin for another retreat. This one is a peer learning group so it's friends, but I was supposed to get stuff prepared for it and didn't have time :headache: I already filled them in on my issues here so they know what they are getting :laughing: I will be having dinner with them, if I can ever get my act together and get there (I haven't even packed!). I think we are going out tonight to someplace local? I can't remember the agenda.

I may check in, but if not I'm back late Sat night to repack so I can leave Sun afternoon for Houston and will check in then ;)

By the way, there is major (public) drama going on around here again.

Aimee, I'm sorry you're dealing with another issue. I really don't know how you do it while you feel as sick as you do. I hope you have a good time with your friends.

Ann -- Congratulations to Luke on the ABC's and spelling!

Kathy -- I hope you're feeling better today.

Wendie -- It sounds like you had fun Tuesday. I don't think Liam would agree to a two hour drive to go clothes shopping though.

Lorelie -- You have had a lot going on lately. I am glad you are recovering well. There has been so much flu going around. I hope your son feels better quickly.

Sheryl -- Speaking of recoveries, how have you been feeling lately?

I went through 6 sticks of butter and 2 sticks of margarine.
:eek: That is even too much butter for me!

I hope the girls have fun tonight. The show got a really good review here.

I haven't decided what I am making for dinner tonight yet. I have to take Caili's skates to be sharpened either today or tomorrow because she has a test coming up next week, so if I do that today, I will probably just make pasta or something easy. If I put it off until tomorrow, I will go to the store and make a roast chicken or something like that. Having the kids home yesterday has messed up my week, so I am feeling rather disorganized this morning, as you can probably tell!

Good Morning Gang,

Gretchen, sending you love & prayers.

Glynis, your baby is growing so fast! You must be amazed.

Loreli, Wow you have too much going on...I hope things start looking up.

Kat, how are you feeling?

Nan, can't wait until Sunday!!!! Holy Butter Lady!!!!!

Aimee, travel safe to Austin. Hope your feeling better.

Today I was going into NYC with Mom but the weather stinks so we are having a "camp" day today....going through wallpaper books, dinner, I'm sure some Farmville & LAUNDRY!!!!!!

Dinner last night was turkey/spinach burgers & sauteed mushrooms & onions.
Tonight, just not sure~

I just wanted to share a proud Mom day. DS has mastered his ABCs and he learned to spell our last name. For those of you who don't know our last name it is not an easy one to spell (all 11 letters worth). My DS(3) was teaching my Dad today how to spell our last name it was precious, because DF still has a problem with it.

That is just to cute. Good for him.

Hey friends....so sorry I went MIA for a few days:headache: I seem to have less then 24hrs in my day:confused3. I am going to do my best to catch up, but early apologies in case I miss someone!

Ellen--I am sure Ethan will be so excited to have Dad home, and I am sure he will have some sadness on his having to leave again, but like someone mentioned maybe he will be a bit better with understanding he will be back. It must be such a helpless feeling trying to help a little one understand.

Last night we went to get Ross some school clothes, we don't really get much at the beginning of the year as he wears shorts as long as possible and if I buy in Sept they won't fit in Nov. He has grown 3" in the past month!!:scared1:

No apologies needed my friend. Wow 3" in one month. Matthew grew 12" from begining of school to the next year. He was miserable with growing pains. We had a heck of a time keeping him in jeans. I feel your pain. He is now 6' 3".

This week so far has been crazy. Two more people dropped from the virus that is making the rounds. Oh and "let me breath in your face" is getting sick too but she is still in your face. pirate:

Stay weel my friend. You don't need to get sick.

Thanks for the "Welcome Back" s :hug:

We have had a lot going on lately- I had surgery 2 weeks ago tomorrow for a torn meniscus- I am recuperating wonderfully! I have another surgery on the horizon 12/09/09 for a TOTAL HIP REPLACEMENT!!! And yes, I am WAY too young for that...;) I am no longer working- miss the paycheck but LOVE the schedule. :thumbsup2

I think my son has swine flu- think anyone would get the joke if I served ham tonight?:lmao: We are headed to the doctor at 10:45.

Bless your heart. Please take care - 2 major surgeries in such a short time. I so hope your son stars feeling better real soon. My vote would be no ham tonight. :rotfl2:

Dinner last night was good but way too rich for us!

She will meet us for dinner before the show, I hope that settles her down. I wish I could turn my ticket over to her, she got really freaked out! But I have to be present at the gate with my license and CC. That is the ticket. I am not willing to brave the traffic in and then out, Hartford is not my favorite place to drive. I may ask Daniel if he would mind driving around and picking me up if Marisa wants me to try that.

Safe travels my friend. Please take care. Dreams can be scarey but don't mean empending doom. Have fun in spite of it. As far a heart attack on a plate - it does sound good but way to rich for this old lady. :lmao:

I may check in, but if not I'm back late Sat night to repack so I can leave Sun afternoon for Houston and will check in then ;)

Safe travels. What an exciting life of travel and fun you have. I don't know how you do it.

WFDT ~ Glynis' pot roast, cream chees mashed potatoes and acorn squash.

I will try to BBL

Nancy, six sticks of butter and two sticks of margarine?? Sticks, not tablespoons? How many servings was that for?? I think that is too much butter even for me!

Here's one more photo from last night, green vegetable assortment with shallots:

4097264510_171287bb44.jpg

Not sure wfd yet...maybe fish.

I'm not sure what we'll have for dinner. Katie and I are going to see a play tonight. My niece is one of the leads, and Katie can get extra credit for seeing it. My dad is driving up, so she and I will go to dinner with Dad. I'll probably get corn dogs or something for the homebodies. We'll see.

Timothy and I have to go to the library this morning, and the store. My laundry hampers are falling apart, so I need to remedy that! If I can find something easy peasy for dinner that Jacob can fix, I'll pick it up. We'll see!

It's a gray, windy day here, so Timothy and I are going to hurry and do errands and then come home before it starts storming.

By the way, I got Katie's schedule fixed! She gets to transfer into intermediate orchestra right after Christmas. She's so excited!

Morning Y'all,

I can't keep up!

I just saw Timothy's walking video! OMG that is so sweet!! :lovestruc:love:

Alexis had a major meltdown yesterday over homework & needed some outside bike riding. So I was late getting dinner started. The amount of homework they are giving them is ridiculous! Then she begged for meatballs & spaghetti, so of course even though it was going on 6, I made meatballs & spaghetti!! :laughing: I did turkey meatballs & cheated with doctored up jarred vodka sauce. Oh the meatballs were very good, I added a little bit of that smoked paprika to them, along with my regular seasonings, they were yummy!

Nan, I know Kady's going to have a great time tonight! I hope you have earplugs & ibuprofen! Those kids can really scream!

Ellen, I'm so glad you liked the scallops! Now I have to go find that recipe, I haven't fixed that in a while.

Becky, That chicken looks great, the squash looks great, the potatoes look great & the soup OMG looks so good! I think I have your recipe for that, I've got to make it! How do you do cook the squash? Is it roasted with garlic?

Wendie, 3 inches in a month!! Oh my! :eek: I can just imagine how much he is eating too!!!

Aimee, Prayers for the work issues. :flower3: Also prayers for your travel and overall super busy life!:hug:

Gretchen, Hugs & love!

Maria, Have fun with your Mom! Who's doing wallpapering, you or your Mom?

Loreli, Wow you've had too much going on, I'm glad you're recovery is going well! I'm sorry to hear that you'll need hip replacement! :hug:

Laura, Your disorganized is me on my best days! :goodvibes:thumbsup2

Thanks for asking, I'm feeling ok. I had to cancel my nuero appt last week & coudln't get another until Dec. I'm bummed because he should have cleared me for therapy on my neck & I feel like I need it & am ready to get started. In fact I'm going to call them back today & find out if he needs x-rays done before I can start.

Lauren, I'm glad Riley is doing alright!

Kathy, How is your tooth? How many times to you need to head back to the dentist before it's done?

Ann, That child of your's is smart!!! :goodvibes Really, an 11 letter name is hard!

I think that's everything, I hope I didn't miss anyone.

Dinner will be leftovers, if A doesn't come home & eat too much of it!;)

Becky- it was too much butter for me too. I am still logey today. She ate ice cream when she got home though :confused3 She did call when she saw the dump truck home though, and asked if she killed Buddy last night. I told her she did add a nail or two to his coffin but he is still kickin' :lmao:

I think that it is possible to reduce the butter a lot. It will still be rich but even Paula does not use that much :lmao:

Sheryl- Poor Alexis! She gets way too much work!

Glynis- have a great time tonight! Glad to hear that Katie got her new schedule!

OKWMom - You're not in the path of Ida the Morphed Beast, are you? They are saying 10+ inches of rain for parts of the east coast! :eek: Stay safe if you are, okay? :hug:

We got some of the rain bands. My hometown got about 3 inches, but the town where I work barely got one.

I just wanted to share a proud Mom day. DS has mastered his ABCs and he learned to spell our last name. For those of you who don't know our last name it is not an easy one to spell (all 11 letters worth). My DS(3) was teaching my Dad today how to spell our last name it was precious, because DF still has a problem with it.:lmao:

That's wonderful Ann! They grow up so fast.

They had this thing at the mall called Eurobungy a trampoline with bungy cords that you can jump 30' in the air and do flips etc. Ross had a blast on this. It was fun to watch, but I wouldn't want to do it, lol.

Wendie, Hailey LOVES that thing!!!!! They had one for a while in the mall about 30 miles from us and the therapists would take her during the week for a special treat (not as crowded on weekdays).

I think all the therapists are beautiful, inside and out, but one of them is traffic stopping gorgeous. She, however, has no idea that she is that attractive. That therapist took Hailey one day when there wasn't a crowd and she came home and told Kenny and I that the boy running the thing "was just so sweet to Hailey. Every time the buzzer would go off, indicating the time was up, he would hit the button for her to go again. She got to go like four or five times and we only paid for once." It never occurred to this therapist that the attendant was hitting the button so she would stand there and talk to him longer. :laughing:

This week so far has been crazy. Two more people dropped from the virus that is making the rounds. Oh and "let me breath in your face" is getting sick too but she is still in your face. pirate:

:headache: That is so aggravating! I hope she doesn't share it with you.

Oh my gosh Loreli, hip replacement?!? Bless your heart. And btw, my family wouldn't get the joke with the ham. But I tell them my best material is wasted on them anyway. ;)

Kat- It was way too rich for us as it stood. Buddy said that he loved it but he will not be eating it like that again "will I????" :rotfl: Nope! Not a chance you are getting all of that butter in one place ever again! ;)

:rotfl: At least he knows you. ;)

Gretchen, Hugs to you my friend...the firsts are always the hardest. I will keep all of you in my prayers. I will mail your cookbook later.

No hurry. I really appreciate you getting it. Let me know how much it is with the shipping and I'll send you a check. :lovestruc

By the way, I got Katie's schedule fixed! She gets to transfer into intermediate orchestra right after Christmas. She's so excited!

That's great news. I bet she is thrilled!

Alexis had a major meltdown yesterday over homework & needed some outside bike riding. So I was late getting dinner started. The amount of homework they are giving them is ridiculous! Then she begged for meatballs & spaghetti, so of course even though it was going on 6, I made meatballs & spaghetti!! :laughing: I did turkey meatballs & cheated with doctored up jarred vodka sauce. Oh the meatballs were very good, I added a little bit of that smoked paprika to them, along with my regular seasonings, they were yummy!

What a good Nana! Maybe you'll have leftovers and won't have to cook.

We're having leftovers tonight because I made way too much. Mom decided not to come over last night and I forgot Amanda was with Kenny's mom. Add that to the fact that Kenny and I weren't really hungry after dealing with Patrick and that equals enough leftovers tonight.

It seems that Patrick has decided to give his PE teacher a hard time. He isn't dressing for class and isn't following instructions. We received the referral slip last night and Kenny had to meet with the teacher this morning before they would let Patrick back in school. I'm sharing this with all of you because I knew you would get a kick out of his response to our questioning.

All we had to go on was the slip and it said he exhibited excessive refusal to follow instructions. Now understand that in our house, we don't question the truth of the teacher's statement, but we were hoping to get the particulars from Patrick before we killed him. He told us he wasn't following directions because..........he had short-term memory loss. :rolleyes1 We still killed him, but Kenny and I have had a good time laughing (by ourselves) at this lie which sets new heights in child lies.

Anyone want a 14 year old boy with smelly feet?

Here's one more photo from last night, green vegetable assortment with shallots:

4097264510_171287bb44.jpg

That is just too pretty!

He told us he wasn't following directions because..........he had short-term memory loss. :rolleyes1 We still killed him, but Kenny and I have had a good time laughing (by ourselves) at this lie which sets new heights in child lies.

:rotfl2:

Oh no.. really you can keep him! :laughing:

That's great! I'm happy things worked out for her.

Alexis had a major meltdown yesterday over homework

Sheryl, this makes me mad. Why are they giving first graders more homework than they can handle?? That's ridiculous. I would track how long it takes Alexis to complete the assigned homework for a week, and if it is regularly more than 20 minutes (not including reading), then I would complain.

Now understand that in our house, we don't question the truth of the teacher's statement, but we were hoping to get the particulars from Patrick before we killed him. He told us he wasn't following directions because..........he had short-term memory loss.
:rotfl2: I shouldn't laugh, but that is really a good one. I'm sorry I don't think I can handle a 14 year-old. My 10 year-old is giving me enough trouble.

I decided to get the skates sharpened today since the weather might be bad tomorrow, so dinner is pasta, Italian sausage, red sauce, breadsticks and salad.

Marilyn, All I did on that salmon was use the seasoning mix that came free, a Northewestern salmon rub, plus fresh chopped rosemary. I cooked down the maple syrup until it was thick & brushed it over the salmon when it was almost down. It was really good!

That sounds really good.

Marilyn ~ HOw did you fix your salmon?

I ended up doing mine in a Cajun marinade I found when cleaning out the cabinet last night. Next time I will not cook it in it as my mouth was on FIRE!!!!

OKWMom - You're not in the path of Ida the Morphed Beast, are you? They are saying 10+ inches of rain for parts of the east coast! :eek: Stay safe if you are, okay? :hug:

Ida is sitting on top of us here in MD right now. Not sure how much we are supposed to end up getting but I know one highway down around DC had lane closures due to standing water.

Dinner tonight will be breakfast. Sausage gravy and biscuits and fried potatoes. Nice comforting nasty weather food.

It seems that Patrick has decided to give his PE teacher a hard time. He isn't dressing for class and isn't following instructions. We received the referral slip last night and Kenny had to meet with the teacher this morning before they would let Patrick back in school. I'm sharing this with all of you because I knew you would get a kick out of his response to our questioning.

All we had to go on was the slip and it said he exhibited excessive refusal to follow instructions. Now understand that in our house, we don't question the truth of the teacher's statement, but we were hoping to get the particulars from Patrick before we killed him. He told us he wasn't following directions because..........he had short-term memory loss. :rolleyes1 We still killed him, but Kenny and I have had a good time laughing (by ourselves) at this lie which sets new heights in child lies.

Oh gosh, that is hilarious!! You have to give him points for creativity! :rotfl:

Sheryl, the squash is super easy--it's a Barefoot Contessa recipe. Here it is:

1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1" dice (I cheat and buy the pre-peeled cubed stuff!)
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 1/2 tbsp. maple syrup
10 whole cloves garlic, unpeeled
10 fresh sage leaves, whole
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

(the recipe also called for 2 ounces chopped pancetta, but I leave it out)

Toss together all ingredients and bake at 400 degrees until soft and browned in spots, turning occasionally, about one hour.

I hope all you east coast ladies are not getting to hammered by the remnants of Ida.

Ann - congrats to your son for spelling his last name. Ours is short so that wasn't a problem for my two.

Wendie - sounds like a fun shopping trip. My budget would be in serious trouble if we lived anywhere near an LLBean. I understand the growing pains. I remember is Matt's sophomore year, they had to change out his band uniform 3 times in two months. I was never so thankful for school provided uniforms as I was that year!!

Becky - as usual, your pics look yummy. Tell me, what are the green dots in the mushroom soup?

Glynis - Thanks for posting the video of Timothy walking on facebook. I LOVED it!!!!!!!!

quick fly by....putting some pics on fb now...hope all is well! bbl...

Okay - I'm gonna find you guys on facebook and send friend requests. I wanna see these!!

That's a good thought. My GI's surgeon of choice actually stepped into my scope a few months ago to see the damage for himself but since I haven't seen my GI after that day, I didn't get a full picture of where he thought I was at (the surgeon, that is). I have met with him, a couple years ago before I tried Humira, but since it worked I never met with him again.

Maybe I do need to see the GI and see what he and the surgeon think.

I didn't remember that he had it as well... my GI told me I may reach remission after surgery, but most patients "relapse" within 3 years so he would strongly advocate a maintenance drug even after surgery. Interesting Kris doesn't have to be on anything right now!!!

He also told me pregnancy would likely put me in remission *sigh*

I left work at 930pm, and have to be back at 730am tomorrow for a conference call. I hope the conference is something that I can minimize and do other things at the same time because it's 3+ hours long :eek: Work just has me very overwhelmed right now.

I ate a bagel when I got in tonight.

I hope I didn't come off harsh in my post earlier, I'm just concerned because you work so hard, are so busy and stressed that it worries me. :hug: for all you have going on right now. Safe travels and I hope you have a good time with your friends.

It was 20* at my house this morning... brrrrrrrrrrr but our pellet stove is cranking out the heat. The only thing I don't like about it is carrying in the bags.... but it beats paying the oil bill any day of the week!

Wow that's alot, Good luck with your recovery and upcoming surgery. I hope your son gets better soon. May I ask, what is a pellet stove?

Nancy - that sounds like a Paula Deen recipe with all that butter!! I hope ya'll have fun a the concert tonight.

Sheryl - thats frustrating about the homework. I hope the bike ride helped her feel better. And I hope today is better. Is she still trying to get caught up from when she missed school?

I'm not sure what we'll have for dinner. Katie and I are going to see a play tonight. My niece is one of the leads, and Katie can get extra credit for seeing it. My dad is driving up, so she and I will go to dinner with Dad. I'll probably get corn dogs or something for the homebodies. We'll see.

:yay: on the schedule! I know she'll be happier playing at her level. I hope you all have a fun evening!

God bless ya Gretchen. That is a funny story though. But sorry, no takers here. I kicked mine out ;). I tell my son and DIL all the time that if they ever divorce, I keep her. He's on his own :lmao: :rotfl:

Not sure whats for dinner. I might follow Marilyn's suggestion and do breakfast.

Ann, That child of your's is smart!!! :goodvibes Really, an 11 letter name is hard!

He does amaze me. DM says her is like a sponge. Fortunately he gets alot of Mommy one on one time. I am always talking and singing with him everywhere.
He asked me last night how to spell Grammy and Pop-Pop's last name...:scared1: that one is 12 letters. It just might be 3 year old overload.

-------

forgive me, we have a really hectic week this week. I ended up by chance calling my OB and getting in for an H1N1 shot. I was thrilled it happened to be the first day they were opening the appointments to postpartum mothers. :thumbsup2. Now I just have to watch for when and where DH can get his. He qualifies due to the baby and being in medical area.

I have to get off soon and get the kids ready for their Christmas pictures tonight. Tis the Season! :santa: Coming soon to a mailbox near you. ;)

I took my DM out shopping today so I picked up some good sale stuff (Pork Tenderloins $1.89), and I said I was not going to buy anything.

WFD- takeout again.

Hi Everyone Just wanted to say :wave2: I'm back to work and it is going very well. My kids are so glad I'm back. The Drs. Told me to expect a year recovery and it was a year Halloween for my back fusion and a Mar. 9 of 2010 a year for my total hip replacement.

Kathy- Thanks for calling me home :hug:

Lauren- Love the pictures on FB looks. Looks like you had a wonderful trip. Hows the house coming? Glad to see Riley is getting better.

Bethany- Couch comes tomorrow YAaaa

Glynis- Have fun with your Dad my friend.

Amy- I hope you start feeling better SOON.

I'll BBL son needs computor for homework. Lauri

I thought I would pop in to let everyone know this weekend when I have more time I will send out the card list.

I think my computer at work is getting better.At least I now have disc space or should I say had when I left work tonight. Those computer guys get a lot of money for not doing much. I could create more disc space but I want to know why my computer is storing soo much crap. I just get a blank stare. :confused3

Did I mention that I bought myself a early christmas present? I bought a GPS it was $100.00 off:cool1:

Gretchen You and Kenny can use the "short term memory loss when P needs or wants something special. I bet he will remember reall quick.:rolleyes1 Sorry no stinky feet takers. Alex is enough stink for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter