The What's For Dinner Thread - August '09(recipe index in OP)

Hi everyone. I haven't posted the last couple days because I have been in a funk. I really thought I was on the uphill swing, but last Friday was the two month mark and I spent most of the weekend depressed. I know time makes things better, but the upcoming holidays aren't helping much.

Anyway, tonight's dinner is shrimp creole, rice and cornbread.

My dear friend, the 1st holidays are by far the hardest. My prayers are with you and Mom.:grouphug: I'm going to call you.....

Hi everyone. I haven't posted the last couple days because I have been in a funk. I really thought I was on the uphill swing, but last Friday was the two month mark and I spent most of the weekend depressed. I know time makes things better, but the upcoming holidays aren't helping much.

Gretchen- as Kathy has said, the first "anything" is very hard. Please know that most of us here have lost a parent and so we understand. :hug: I am continuing to pray for your family and for your Mom. Please let me know f there is anything that I can do :hug:

I read everything and am thrilled to see that Tim is walking! I cleaned today so I am sending hugs and prayers to all who need them. <yu mind is not working well enough to type what I am thinking, I'm afraid.

Dinner is kielbasa subs with peppers and onion. Coleslaw on the side.

Sendin love ower the water to you and yours...:hug:

Gretchen, I'm sorry you're in a funk.:hug: It's really normal you know & it's going to take a long time to feel better. I'm praying for you & sending love.:flower3:

I'm back from getting beautified & my fav shopping at WF's! Dinner is going to be maple-glazed cedar plank salmon. WF's had a buy the salmon get all of the following: green beans, a baguette, salmon seasoning & pre-made rice pilaf for free!

Ellen, I hope you enjoy the scallops!

Becky, The same goes with the soup.

Nan, I now see cute Nola pics on FB :lovestruc& Gail's decorating team:laughing:! Nola is too precious! I just can't believe how big she is already!

Glynis, That is so sweet!:lovestruc

Hey, everyone. I just saw on facebook that Lindsay's mother in law, Jan, passed away today. I think she could use some prayers. This has been really hard. They thought the chemo was working, but just a couple of days ago, they realized it wasn't and took her off. The doctor gave her a week to live, and she passed today.

I just thought you all might want to know.

Hey, everyone. I just saw on facebook that Lindsay's mother in law, Jan, passed away today. I think she could use some prayers. This has been really hard. They thought the chemo was working, but just a couple of days ago, they realized it wasn't and took her off. The doctor gave her a week to live, and she passed today.

Thanks so much for letting us know. Prayers for Lindsay and her family on the way.:grouphug:

Oh, honey. I completely understand. Last year, Mom passed on October 22nd, and the holidays were very hard. You are in my prayers.

Glynis, thanks for update. Cancer is certainly an awful disease for everyone involved.

Bethany - I hope you get to enjoy your birthday dinner this evening!

Well....actually, since the bridge I would take is closed due to that barge (ship?) hitting it last night, we decided to go tomorrow because I didn't want to deal with rush hour traffic all getting diverted to the other bridge. We are planning to go tomorrow for lunch now.

So for those keeping score of Bethany's Outback Dinner:
Bethany 0 Ida 2 :rotfl2:

And yes, the storm was piddly enough that I CAN mumble about missing my dinner and nothing worse! :woohoo: I don't take that for granted!

But hey,as my Na - Na used to say " whats for ye,will no go by ye "

I like this! :goodvibes My version of it is "What's meant to be, will be!"

I don't really know :confused3 Well, I do but I don't. I know the drug is doing something, as my joints are not pounding anymore, but I am not getting pain everytime I eat and sometimes when I'm not which is not good. I go between wanting my GI's opinion to not wanting to see him until I have given it a full 3-6 months. I fear he'll want to send me to a surgeon next :sad1:

I can self medicate with Tylenol and Vicodin (depending upon the severity of the pain) and continue eating and functioning and wait it out. But, I know I may be building up more damage. Or I can go with plan B and have them cut it out knowing I still have to find a maintance drug anyways :confused3 Or I could go on high dose steroids for awhile to see if that kicks things into gear, which brings a whole host of other issues.

I have NO IDEA how you keep up with your schedule while you feel the way you do! :hug:

:hug: I'm glad you stopped in to let us know how you're feeling; I'm sorry it's so tough. You know we're here for you. :grouphug:

As those of you on facebook know, Timothy started walking last night. He worked so hard on it all day yesterday, and when Alan was home, he was ready to show off! It was so cute to see his little face all serious as he concentrated on keeping his balance, and when he reached Alan, he just looked up with the biggest grin on his face! It was so cute! I do have to admit that I cried, though. It's so wonderful to watch him grow up, but it's also bittersweet!

Where does the time go?!

:hug:

Oh no... Glynis, thanks for letting us know. I am not her "friend" on FB but would you mind sending my prayers her way? I am so sorry she went so quickly. :hug:

I'm very sad to hear about Lindsay's MIL Jan. I had a very difficult time not knowing how to be supportive about Jan's illness. It was the same leukemia we lost Laurie (Bob's stepmom, Chris's Mom) to.

Not feeling well today, think it's a cold coming on. Off to work on a holiday.....:headache:

WFD - I've been craving split pea soup, think I'm going to try this one, but will probably cut back the fat quite a bit:

Shaggy Man Split Pea Soup - Paula Deen

Ingredients

* 1/2 stick butter
* 1/2 pound thick slab bacon, chopped
* 1 large onion, diced
* 2 stalks celery stalk with leave, diced
* 2 carrots, shredded
* 1 pound ground pork sausage
* 1 pound dried split peas, soaked overnight in cold water
* 2 to 3 quarts chicken stock
* House Seasoning, recipe follows
* Salt and pepper

Directions

Melt butter in Dutch oven. Add bacon and saute until tender. Add onions, celery, carrots and pork sausage. Combine together and start with 2 quarts of chicken stock. Add more later if necessary. Add salt, pepper and house seasoning. Add peas and cook on low temperature simmering for about 2 hours.

Hey, everyone. I just saw on facebook that Lindsay's mother in law, Jan, passed away today.

Thanks for letting us know. I saw on her update that something had happened but did not know what. I usually don't ask on FB becasue people usually just post what they are comfortable sharing. I'll head over to her wall this morning.

So for those keeping score of Bethany's Outback Dinner:
Bethany 0 Ida 2 :rotfl2:

:lmao:

I have pic's of DH gettin his done there...I might just have to post them !! :laughing:

Big cut backs here Santa wise this year.:sad1:
Very early for me but with Colin loosin his job in feb I want to use this months wage to get stuff...no credit card.
But hey,as my Na - Na used to say " whats for ye,will no go by ye "

Okay Vickie-----no teasing, we need pics! :)

The economy is really scary. We heard that the unemployment rate her will top 11% soon, that is :sad2: Don't worry about the Santa cutbacks, in spite of what we want to do for them, kids don't really notice what they do not get under the tree. They are more focused on the real menaing of the Holiday than we give them credit for.

I am on a mission to really cut back here too. Buddy is worried about his employer so I already told the kids we are not shopping like I used to. I am going to buy for all the little ones and we'll see what is left. Your Na-Na hit it right on the head, I would like that woman!

It's really sad when I can't even keep my days straight. Today is Tuesday, which means skating and ballet, not gymnastics, so we'll grab sandwiches or something in between.
:laughing: So today is Veteran's Day and no school..............this is really going to put your day keeping :dance3:

:laughing: Maybe there is some hope for DH afterall!

I don't really know :confused3 Well, I do but I don't.

Buddy still has a looooooooong way to go. The bath thing is his answer to everything ;) Headache...runs a bath. Fever...hotter bath. A cold.....vapobath. Stomach bug....more vapobath. :rotfl: I am thrilled though because he is a totally chauvanistic guy who has no idea that he should have become extinct years ago so this is way out of his comfort zone :cloud9:

Aimee- I also cannot imagine keeping the schedule you do and not becoming sick.

She seemed to like it okay, she came in 9 out of 12 which isn't too bad considering she just did it in competition for the first time. My sister said that it really isn't too bad a length and that they do it during practice just at a more leasurely pace.

Good for her!

Marylynn- I'm already a basket case, I think planning a vacation is almost as fun as the actual vacation part. It also looks like we'll be staying in the treehouses, but won't know for sure until December.

We stayed at POFQ last December and loved the boat ride by the tree houses. They were in various states of completion and looked wicked cool! Can I borrow your parents?

Thanks for the good wishes for Jay. We are all so excited to have him home for a couple of weeks. But I hope it won't be too hard on Ethan when he has to leave again.

Will Jay be home for Thanksgiving? I think that of all the Holidays that one of the boys was away Thanksgiving bothered me the most. Silly, isn't it?

I think that you all have done such a good job helping Ethan cope that he will surprise you :thumbsup2

Dinner last night was a hit with Buddy. He loves simple and it does nto get much more simple than kielbasa and friesd onions and peppers with fresh coleslaw. YUM. Apple snack cake for dessert.

Tonight I took out chicken breast for Welby's chicken deluxe. I hope it comes out as good as her sample she sent over for Buddy was. I took extra chicken out in case I can convince her to come over and walk me through it. She is alone every night for dinner, her DH works evenings. I will have baked potatoes and a salad with some veggie on the side.

Apple Snack Cake

1 spice cake mix
3 eggs
2 TBS vegetable oil
1 tsp cinnamon
1 can apple pie filling

Mix eggs, oil, pie filling and Cinnamon. Add cake mix and mix well. Pour into 9x13inch pan and bake about 30 minutes at 350 degrees

I used a canned white frosting because I ran out of time but I think a cream cheese frosting would have been better.

Sheepishly poking my head back in.....I could say I am just so busy and that has kept me away, which is truth. But looking at Laura's schedule and she has time to get caught up, just can't use that excuse. I'm just not sure where my time is going. No time off school here today. And Emma starts tennis this afternoon.

Matthew turned 4 this weekend. Can't believe that he's getting so big. We had a nice party with my parents. Had lots and lots of cake. And to think his "party" with his friends isn't for another week.

Not been cooking a lot. Last night mom made chicken enchiladas. Yummy! Tonight will probably be pizza b/c it's a fundraiser for the school.

Gretchen-Hugs!:hug:

Glynis--thanks for the update on Lindsay. Prayers going out to her and her family

Okay, time to get Emma out the door for school!

Morning! It's another crazy day here!

Alan has been working like crazy to do some home repair before my dad comes to stay with us, and my basement is now a total disaster area, except for the ceiling that Alan has fixed. He wants to paint tonight, so I need to get down there and do some major purging before then.

I also get to meet with Katie's counselor this afternoon. Her orchestra teacher wants to move her into the Intermediate class, and the counselor and I get to figure out how to do it. It's going to be hard, since she's in the advanced science and English academy program, but we'll see what we can do. She may have to stick it out in Beginning until the end of the year. It makes me a little mad, since I had originally signed her up for Intermediate, but the old orchestra teacher stuck her in Beginning. Cross your fingers for us, ok?

Not sure what dinner will be tonight. I need to figure it out. I'll BBL to tell y'all what we've decided.

Good luck with the scheduling! It can be so complicated! And thank you for letting us know about Lindsay. That is sad. :sad1:

I am surprised some schools are in session today. :sad2:

Morning Y'all,

I want to say Thank You to our military families here on the WFDT!! The stress & struggles you all go through amaze me & make me realized how blessed we are to live in America! :goodvibes

Stephanie, Don't forget to take care of yourself too! You're a busy hardworking Mom & you're doing a great job!

Glynis, Prayers that Katie's schedule can be worked out. :flower3:

It's a beautiful cool day in Nola!

Here's pics of last night's dinner, it was delicious!

Cedar Planked Maple Glazed Salmon
IMG_2390a.jpg

plated with Rice Pilaf, Green Beans with toasted almonds & bacon
IMG_2393a.jpg

Morning! It's another crazy day here!

Fingers crossed :wizard:

Not feeling well today, think it's a cold coming on. Off to work on a holiday.....:headache:

Working today? Not fair!

Sheepishly poking my head back in.....I could say I am just so busy and that has kept me away, which is truth.

Hey! No apologies! You are a busy Mom and I don't know how any of you do it! I am always behind and have no little ones at home.

I saw the birthday pics on FB. Your little guy could have been on a birthday card, that pic was so cool!

Okay, so Kady "is never going to get dressed." :rotfl: She also was never never going to eat but changed her mind when I offered to make her chocolate chip pancakes. First batch "crunchy". She does not eat crunchy. Second batch "brown" She does not eat "brown". I had added a little sugar to the batter so they will get that light crisp on them. So Nana, who can ill afford to eat pancakes at all ate 4 big pancakes! Kady, who has no weight problem had a second glass of soy milk while watching I Carly 5 hour day off marathon. She is tucked in her bed surrounded by her pillows and Pluto :lovestruc

Off to my parents, BBL

WFD- honey mustard chicken on the grill, with lots of veggies!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter