The Week of YES!

Amber,

We actually didn't do the SeaWorld ride. Sounds like it might've been right up my alley:rotfl2:
HAHA yup, you would have loved it! It was a lot like Star Tours, but more jerky. Star Tours (or Star Wars, I can't remember the name) was a fun ride, we all enjoyed it.
On our trip every single one of us wore our MAW buttons every single minute of every day and Matty always had two on, one from MAW and one from GKTW. Maybe that had something to do with it :confused3 Our wish org isn't MAW, and they don't have thier own buttons, so the only we had was the GKTW button. Maybe you're on the something?

Overall I think what all 3 parks do for our families is just amazing :)

you are so right, what all three parks do is just incredible, and while we had a better experience with WDW, the experience with every park we went to was above and beyond expectations. It was all truely magical.

In my next installment you'll understand why WDW cemented itself as our favorite one of the parks...

I'm here! And ready for the next installment! I'm so glad things have gone smoothly for you guys thus far..and glad the village took the precautions with the norovirus(sp) that was going around..I can't wait to hear about your experiences in the next installment! :goodvibes: And though it's been said..how awesome Dakota was!

I'm here! And ready for the next installment! I'm so glad things have gone smoothly for you guys thus far..and glad the village took the precautions with the norovirus(sp) that was going around..I can't wait to hear about your experiences in the next installment! :goodvibes: And though it's been said..how awesome Dakota was!

Hi, how are you and Piper doing? I think I'm just a lurker on your TR...the village needed to close down, it was the only option, but boy were we sad about it.
And yes, Dakota is pretty awesome, I've figured out they get really great right before they move out, how fair is that?
Next installment should be today, just putting the pics into photobucket.

Phew.. I'm caught up..
Yeah for Christmas :-) :thumbsup2

Sometimes it's more fun to read the finished TR's so you get the whole story at once....especially someone like me who only updates once a week :)
Yes, hurray for Christmas. We watched the video of it last night, again. It's turning out to be our favorite "Disney" movie!

Disclaimer: I know this is called "can it get any worse" but we still had an amazing time, and looking back, it was the crazy, unexpected things that we talk about most. The vacation was still a miracle to us, even if some things happened we wished hadn't :)

I woke up and just knew it was going to be one of those days. I could feel something off. Mike was already up and making coffee, so I got out of bed and went around waking up kids. When I got to Dakota’s room, I knew immediately what was wrong. His room smelled like sick. I went over and touched his head, and he was on fire. He woke up when he felt my hand on his forehead and told me he’d been vomiting all night. He was too sick to join us today.
My heart broke. I know this is James’ wish trip, but it isn’t the same when we’re not all together enjoying it. I was so sad a big part of me just wanted to stay at the village all day, and I think we would’ve had we not found the note slipped under our door. Basically it let us know that the entire village, even the Gingerbread house was still closed due to the illness. Katie’s Kitchen was open for delivery, and so was pizza. As for breakfast, they came around soon after with pastries, oatmeal, bagels and juice, and a few snacks. Now was the moment of truth. Do I leave Dakota in the villa while we go to the Animal Kingdom and Epcot, and biggest of all, the closing ceremony at MK, something I desperately wanted to do as a family, or make the whole clan stay at GKTW, which would mean staying the villa all day watching TV, since the entire village was closed? Even though I hated to leave him on our last day at WDW, Dakota is 17, and he assured us he wanted us to go. I mean, as far as being sick goes, he was in heaven. He had his own room, with a TV and cable. Reluctantly we headed out for our last day in the Disney parks. This time the leaving had none of the usually jolliness that we had become use to. No big breakfast at the Gingerbread House, no Ice Cream at 9am, followed by our carousel ride. It was all business. We just got in the van and left.
The line getting into AK was the longest line we encountered the whole trip. It took us about 15 minutes to get in the gate. But once we cleared the gate we were in for a surprise! There were several characters and photographers and we began to walk towards them when of the handlers almost ran up to us and with all kinds of pomp and circumstance paraded through to each character. The entire thing took us about 5 minutes, and of course everyone who was waiting in line couldn’t figure out why we were so special. Macylea taught us the first day “don’t make eye contact” with the insulted line-waiters. I admit I was excited about the photo ops, but pretty sad that none of them were going to have Dakota in the picture.
DisneyWorld221.jpg

DisneyWorld223.jpg

DisneyWorld217.jpg

DisneyWorld216.jpg

DisneyWorld401.jpg

My DH reminded me that it was James’ time, and this was the park James was most excited to go to, especially the Safari, so I pulled myself together and made the best of it. Besides, I was pretty excited about the safari myself!
Once in AK we saw the Tree of Life, and went straight away to Dino Land. We had read about the Dinosaur Ride and couldn’t wait to give it a go. Even scaredy- cat Mackenzie rode it, and then went on the other Dino Land rides. We were about to get on the Triceratops Spin when Caelan (second oldest) announces he doesn’t want to ride it. That is strange because we ride all the rides, lame or not, as a family. I’m wondering if my melancholy at Dakota not being with us is rubbing off on my emotionally tuned in teen-ager. So we decide the little four will ride, Mike will video tape, I will take pictures and Caelan will….PUKE! (sorry for the graphics) Yup, right there in front of the Triceratops Spin.
I’m taking this picture while Caelan is getting sick…of course none of the kids are looking at the camera
DisneyWorld227.jpg

There was only one thing to do, take him back to the village.
Here is Caelan, feeling pretty green, and James and Mackenzie, who just hurt her finger.
DisneyWorld228.jpg

First though, I made a little stop. I went to the guest service counter at AK and told them that we were a wish family, and this was the last day of our WDW tickets, and how Dakota was back at the villa sick, and now we had another one down, and is there anyway we could just give back our tickets and get a re-do for tomorrow? I figured that by the next day surely the boys would be better, a bug never lasts long in our house, and then we could breeze though AK and the remainder of Epcot, and see the closing ceremony at MK as a family. I figured it was worth a shot at least. We could just go pick up a few games at Wal-Mart, go back to the villa and hang out. The guest service guy took about two minutes and handed us 8 brand new tickets, then told us if we wanted to come back that night with the kids that we not sick our tickets would still work. OMG did we seriously just get a fourth day at WDW!!!!!????? I was so happy I wanted to hug him, and for the first time that day I wasn’t gloomy.
The trip is about 30 minutes each way, so we thought we would go back to the villa, eat some lunch, get Caelan settled into bed, and go back to Epcot with the littlest four. We figured by the next day, the teenagers would be better and we could all do the original plan together as a family. We’d already seen a little of Epcot, so we thought we would take the little 4 on the rides Dakota and Caelan wouldn’t care about, like Finding Nemo.
After lunch, (thank goodness Katie’s Kitchen had a wonderful chicken noodle soup and fresh fruit for my sick kiddo’s) and a quick trip to Wal-Mart for Tylenol and juice for the villa-bound, we headed back to Epcot. We went on Finding Nemo
The little ones in Finding Nemo
DisneyWorld230.jpg

James being attacked by a shark

DisneyWorld231.jpg

DisneyWorld232.jpg

and then we discovered the Character Room, I don’t know what it’s called, but basically there are about 6 characters and you go from one to the other. For some reason, knowing that we were down by two kids was different than knowing one was being excluded. I did still feel a pang of sadness over not having them there, but it felt better knowing they had each other to commiserate with.
DisneyWorld407.jpg

DisneyWorld410.jpg

DisneyWorld415.jpg

DisneyWorld418.jpg

DisneyWorld421.jpg

DisneyWorld422.jpg

I would recommend this to everyone. It is very quick and you get great Photo pass Pictures.
It was getting to be about 6pm by now, and the kids really wanted to go on Test Track. James asked if we could stop for popcorn first, and watch the dancing fountain. He really loved this fountain. It was here the dreaded evil struck again, this time Elijah got sick right in front of the fountain. I’m picturing in my head a huge room in some back corridor of WDW filled with surveillance cameras, and a guy going, “what the heck lady, don’t your kids know how to vomit in trash cans?” On a happy note, our DNA is embedded in the cement, from Epcot to Animal Kingdom! Okay, looks like Test Track is now out too, and again we leave for the villa, this time for the night. Before we left Epcot though we gave James a special treat. We told each one of the kids that we would buy them one souvenir with the expenses check money. During our going away dinner James told the wish people that when he first made his wish he either wanted $200 or a trip to Disney World! We laughed and told them we were pretty glad they chose to give us the trip! Well we were still doing pretty darn well on money, so we gave James his $200 to pick out whatever he wanted in the gift store.
He had been eyeing this monorail, he is a HUGE toy train fan, and that’s what he got, with some extra accessories. DH and I even bought a souvenir, a Mickey and Minnie throw for our bed.
DisneyWorld233.jpg

Just before Elijah went downhill
DisneyWorld229.jpg

The three well kids were hoping against hope that the village would be open by the time we got back, especially because it was Candy Land Party night. Their hopes were soon dashed when we reached the gate. Everything was still closed. This time there was a note on the table informing us that for a nice change of pace, all GKTW families we invited for dinner at the Golden Corral down the road. Only 5 of us were well enough to go to dinner, and one of the five doesn’t eat food! Golden Corral got off cheap that night. The kids were so disappointed they cried, but the gift fairy had left us a GKTW Candy Land game, and that brightened everyone’s mood. We played the game for two hours, then crawled into bed. No way were we going to be able to do IOA, AK, Epcot and closing fireworks at MK in one day. And tomorrow really was our last day, at GKTW, and Disneyland. But as always I’d decided we would make it work, somehow.
DAY 6- part 1- are you kidding me?

Disclaimer: I know this is called "can it get any worse" but we still had an amazing time, and looking back, it was the crazy, unexpected things that we talk about most. The vacation was still a miracle to us, even if some things happened we wished hadn't :)

I woke up and just knew it was going to be one of those days. I could feel something off. Mike was already up and making coffee, so I got out of bed and went around waking up kids. When I got to Dakota’s room, I knew immediately what was wrong. His room smelled like sick. I went over and touched his head, and he was on fire. He woke up when he felt my hand on his forehead and told me he’d been vomiting all night. He was too sick to join us today.
My heart broke. I know this is James’ wish trip, but it isn’t the same when we’re not all together enjoying it. I was so sad a big part of me just wanted to stay at the village all day, and I think we would’ve had we not found the note slipped under our door. Basically it let us know that the entire village, even the Gingerbread house was still closed due to the illness. Katie’s Kitchen was open for delivery, and so was pizza. As for breakfast, they came around soon after with pastries, oatmeal, bagels and juice, and a few snacks. Now was the moment of truth. Do I leave Dakota in the villa while we go to the Animal Kingdom and Epcot, and biggest of all, the closing ceremony at MK, something I desperately wanted to do as a family, or make the whole clan stay at GKTW, which would mean staying the villa all day watching TV, since the entire village was closed? Even though I hated to leave him on our last day at WDW, Dakota is 17, and he assured us he wanted us to go. I mean, as far as being sick goes, he was in heaven. He had his own room, with a TV and cable. Reluctantly we headed out for our last day in the Disney parks. This time the leaving had none of the usually jolliness that we had become use to. No big breakfast at the Gingerbread House, no Ice Cream at 9am, followed by our carousel ride. It was all business. We just got in the van and left.
The line getting into AK was the longest line we encountered the whole trip. It took us about 15 minutes to get in the gate. But once we cleared the gate we were in for a surprise! There were several characters and photographers and we began to walk towards them when of the handlers almost ran up to us and with all kinds of pomp and circumstance paraded through to each character. The entire thing took us about 5 minutes, and of course everyone who was waiting in line couldn’t figure out why we were so special. Macylea taught us the first day “don’t make eye contact” with the insulted line-waiters. I admit I was excited about the photo ops, but pretty sad that none of them were going to have Dakota in the picture.
DisneyWorld221.jpg

DisneyWorld223.jpg

DisneyWorld217.jpg

DisneyWorld216.jpg

DisneyWorld401.jpg

My DH reminded me that it was James’ time, and this was the park James was most excited to go to, especially the Safari, so I pulled myself together and made the best of it. Besides, I was pretty excited about the safari myself!
Once in AK we saw the Tree of Life, and went straight away to Dino Land. We had read about the Dinosaur Ride and couldn’t wait to give it a go. Even scaredy- cat Mackenzie rode it, and then went on the other Dino Land rides. We were about to get on the Triceratops Spin when Caelan (second oldest) announces he doesn’t want to ride it. That is strange because we ride all the rides, lame or not, as a family. I’m wondering if my melancholy at Dakota not being with us is rubbing off on my emotionally tuned in teen-ager. So we decide the little four will ride, Mike will video tape, I will take pictures and Caelan will….PUKE! (sorry for the graphics) Yup, right there in front of the Triceratops Spin.
I’m taking this picture while Caelan is getting sick…of course none of the kids are looking at the camera
DisneyWorld227.jpg

There was only one thing to do, take him back to the village.
Here is Caelan, feeling pretty green, and James and Mackenzie, who just hurt her finger.
DisneyWorld228.jpg

First though, I made a little stop. I went to the guest service counter at AK and told them that we were a wish family, and this was the last day of our WDW tickets, and how Dakota was back at the villa sick, and now we had another one down, and is there anyway we could just give back our tickets and get a re-do for tomorrow? I figured that by the next day surely the boys would be better, a bug never lasts long in our house, and then we could breeze though AK and the remainder of Epcot, and see the closing ceremony at MK as a family. I figured it was worth a shot at least. We could just go pick up a few games at Wal-Mart, go back to the villa and hang out. The guest service guy took about two minutes and handed us 8 brand new tickets, then told us if we wanted to come back that night with the kids that we not sick our tickets would still work. OMG did we seriously just get a fourth day at WDW!!!!!????? I was so happy I wanted to hug him, and for the first time that day I wasn’t gloomy.
The trip is about 30 minutes each way, so we thought we would go back to the villa, eat some lunch, get Caelan settled into bed, and go back to Epcot with the littlest four. We figured by the next day, the teenagers would be better and we could all do the original plan together as a family. We’d already seen a little of Epcot, so we thought we would take the little 4 on the rides Dakota and Caelan wouldn’t care about, like Finding Nemo.
After lunch, (thank goodness Katie’s Kitchen had a wonderful chicken noodle soup and fresh fruit for my sick kiddo’s) and a quick trip to Wal-Mart for Tylenol and juice for the villa-bound, we headed back to Epcot. We went on Finding Nemo
The little ones in Finding Nemo
DisneyWorld230.jpg

James being attacked by a shark

DisneyWorld231.jpg

DisneyWorld232.jpg

and then we discovered the Character Room, I don’t know what it’s called, but basically there are about 6 characters and you go from one to the other. For some reason, knowing that we were down by two kids was different than knowing one was being excluded. I did still feel a pang of sadness over not having them there, but it felt better knowing they had each other to commiserate with.
DisneyWorld407.jpg

DisneyWorld410.jpg

DisneyWorld415.jpg

DisneyWorld418.jpg

DisneyWorld421.jpg

DisneyWorld422.jpg

I would recommend this to everyone. It is very quick and you get great Photo pass Pictures.
It was getting to be about 6pm by now, and the kids really wanted to go on Test Track. James asked if we could stop for popcorn first, and watch the dancing fountain. He really loved this fountain. It was here the dreaded evil struck again, this time Elijah got sick right in front of the fountain. I’m picturing in my head a huge room in some back corridor of WDW filled with surveillance cameras, and a guy going, “what the heck lady, don’t your kids know how to vomit in trash cans?” On a happy note, our DNA is embedded in the cement, from Epcot to Animal Kingdom! Okay, looks like Test Track is now out too, and again we leave for the villa, this time for the night. Before we left Epcot though we gave James a special treat. We told each one of the kids that we would buy them one souvenir with the expenses check money. During our going away dinner James told the wish people that when he first made his wish he either wanted $200 or a trip to Disney World! We laughed and told them we were pretty glad they chose to give us the trip! Well we were still doing pretty darn well on money, so we gave James his $200 to pick out whatever he wanted in the gift store.
He had been eyeing this monorail, he is a HUGE toy train fan, and that’s what he got, with some extra accessories. DH and I even bought a souvenir, a Mickey and Minnie throw for our bed.
DisneyWorld233.jpg

Just before Elijah went downhill
DisneyWorld229.jpg

The three well kids were hoping against hope that the village would be open by the time we got back, especially because it was Candy Land Party night. Their hopes were soon dashed when we reached the gate. Everything was still closed. This time there was a note on the table informing us that for a nice change of pace, all GKTW families we invited for dinner at the Golden Corral down the road. Only 5 of us were well enough to go to dinner, and one of the five doesn’t eat food! Golden Corral got off cheap that night. The kids were so disappointed they cried, but the gift fairy had left us a GKTW Candy Land game, and that brightened everyone’s mood. We played the game for two hours, then crawled into bed. No way were we going to be able to do IOA, AK, Epcot and closing fireworks at MK in one day. And tomorrow really was our last day, at GKTW, and Disneyland. But as always I’d decided we would make it work, somehow.
DAY 6- part 1- are you kidding me?

:hug::hug: My goodness what a hard day for you all. That was so nice of MK to give you an extra day. They did that for us as well when I became sick a few years ago. We had just walked through the gates:( They certainly do have the Magic don't they:)

Wow! You guys really did have a rough time of it :( We have had the stomach bug here the last week and it is no fun! I can't imagine it on a trip like this! It really sounds like you made the best of it though and I'm so glad Disney gave you an extra day of tickets! That's good to know in case the bug strikes while we are there...

Did you ever read our trip report? This is looking like a repeat....Like...can we PLEASE stop vomiting?!?!

I am so, so sorry for you guys!

You guys are doing GREAT - making the best of it. It won't be long before you look back on the whole thing and just laugh, if you aren't already.

It is SOOOO awesome that you guys got an extra day - we missed out on Epcot and Animal Kingdom and are doing an entire trip back in November as a "wish trip take 2" because we got the sickies, too.

You guys are awesome and such troopers!

Oh geez, Amber..I am so sorry things took that turn! So crossing my fingers that things were better in the next installment! :hug:

AMBER --- you win! Vomit is the kicker!!! Ugh, ugh ugh!!!!

But how cool is that of the Disney customer service to issue you a REDO -- I got goosebumps when I read that part --- and it DEFINITELY seemed like you guys made the most of it, despite GKTW being closed and 2 kiddos down and out. HOORAY for that!!! :banana::banana:

Can't wait for MORE MORE MORE!! (And I don't meant the green stuff -- tell me it stopped now with Caelan and Dakota!!??? PLEASE?!?!?)

Blessings,

Did you ever read our trip report? This is looking like a repeat....Like...can we PLEASE stop vomiting?!?!

I am so, so sorry for you guys!

You guys are doing GREAT - making the best of it. It won't be long before you look back on the whole thing and just laugh, if you aren't already.

It is SOOOO awesome that you guys got an extra day - we missed out on Epcot and Animal Kingdom and are doing an entire trip back in November as a "wish trip take 2" because we got the sickies, too.

You guys are awesome and such troopers!

I stayed up all last night and read your whole TR! Yup there were definitely similarities. Are you from Miss.? I am originally from New Orleans, an old friend had a house in Pas Christian, MS we use to go to on week-ends.
I want to hear more about your take 2 "wish" trip. We really want to back eventually, but worry that without things like the wish lounge, and the magic button, it just won't be nearly as fun.

AMBER --- you win! Vomit is the kicker!!! Ugh, ugh ugh!!!!

But how cool is that of the Disney customer service to issue you a REDO -- I got goosebumps when I read that part --- and it DEFINITELY seemed like you guys made the most of it, despite GKTW being closed and 2 kiddos down and out. HOORAY for that!!! :banana::banana:

Can't wait for MORE MORE MORE!! (And I don't meant the green stuff -- tell me it stopped now with Caelan and Dakota!!??? PLEASE?!?!?)

Blessings,

AHHH yes, vomit wins every time :rotfl: Disney took care of us pretty good. We loved all the magic of being there. We missed out on a few GKTW days, but will still ha a lovely trip. Anytime we're all together, you know?
So look again at the end of the last report....Elijah was "going green" at Epcot :sick:

Oh geez, Amber..I am so sorry things took that turn! So crossing my fingers that things were better in the next installment! :hug:

The last night is hard for me to write...who knew? I'll work on it today though.

Wow! You guys really did have a rough time of it :( We have had the stomach bug here the last week and it is no fun! I can't imagine it on a trip like this! It really sounds like you made the best of it though and I'm so glad Disney gave you an extra day of tickets! That's good to know in case the bug strikes while we are there...

Apparently it's that time of the year, it's hitting our town right now too. My boys decided if they had to be sick in Orlando, or Alaska, their glad it was Orlando! tehe DH wants to take a Disney Cruise now, he was so impressed with them. Honestly, I've read it on here a ton of times, but if there is something you want/need, just ask...you only get one wish trip, so ASK!

:hug::hug: My goodness what a hard day for you all. That was so nice of MK to give you an extra day. They did that for us as well when I became sick a few years ago. We had just walked through the gates:( They certainly do have the Magic don't they:)

YES! They know how to bring the pixie dust!

So look again at the end of the last report....Elijah was "going green" at Epcot :sick:

SAY IT AIN'T SO..........:sad2:

Despite that, I honestly can't wait to read more --- you have such an amazing attitude and like you said, it's most important to be TOGETHER....

...what is it about the family that "barfs together"????? ;)

Hope you are all enjoying your weekend --- HEALTHY together!!

Best always,

I have enjoyed reading your trip report. What a beautiful family. You guys had a LONG plane ride. The kids seemed to have done great!

Sorry about the sickness. Hope your story picks back up. I was enjoying all the family time together and you and hubby's morning together time.

I love that James chose the monorail!

Oh NO!!! I am so sorry to read about all the sickness!!! Poor kiddos! (and mom & dad!) It does sound like everyone had a GREAT attitude and was handling it well!

Where at in New Orleans are you from??? I am from the Westbank, been here in TN for about 20 years now, but my family is all still there in NOLA!

It's a Small World After All....;)

Lynn

Oh NO!!! I am so sorry to read about all the sickness!!! Poor kiddos! (and mom & dad!) It does sound like everyone had a GREAT attitude and was handling it well!

Where at in New Orleans are you from??? I am from the Westbank, been here in TN for about 20 years now, but my family is all still there in NOLA!

It's a Small World After All....;)

Lynn

Well I grew up in the Faubourg Marigny, just one block out of the quarter on Frenchman Street (that's where Snug Harbor is/was) When I was about 15 we moved a few more blocks out onto Spain St, still pretty much the quarter though, and at times I lived with my auntie in Lakeview. I started working at the Port o'Call when I was 14, and until I moved when I was 18.
You stayed a lot closer to the south than I did! lol

I stayed up all last night and read your whole TR! Yup there were definitely similarities. Are you from Miss.? I am originally from New Orleans, an old friend had a house in Pas Christian, MS we use to go to on week-ends.
I want to hear more about your take 2 "wish" trip. We really want to back eventually, but worry that without things like the wish lounge, and the magic button, it just won't be nearly as fun.

I am from MS - and we are having issues today following the tornadoes yesterday. That all happened about 30 min north of us. :scared1:

As far as going back...

We had a WONDERFUL trip in December - it was not with Lauren, but another family with someone with special needs - and you would be surprised...a lot of the magic carries over.

Disney does such an amazing job handling disabilities in general, that I think you would be very surprised. You can still ask for a GAC - which is not front of the line, but definitely helps with a lot of the waiting - and we used the First Aid centers a lot, which are in every park. We will miss the Wish Lounge, but the big things Disney takes care of either way. AND...you can still go back to GKTW...which will be an awesome bonus! (You can't sleep there...but you can catch every party that you guys missed - we plan to catch Christmas, we missed that on our trip.)

Bless you for reading that whole thing - it was crazy to write and took me forever - it was quite a trip!

Oh Amber, Im so sorry to hear the kids got sick but It seems like everyone still had a great attitude and :cool1: for the extra Disney day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter