The We Moved To Orlando Trip Report Update 4/12 Trevon's Birthday & East

earthfaries

DIS Veteran
:goodvibes Hi :goodvibes

We are making our DREAM come true and moving to WDW as the kids say :laughing: Yes, moving to Orlando!

We are moving on Jan. 3rd :)

I want to do this trip report for all the DISers out there that wish they could move closer to the mouse , for everyone out there who just wish they could move :rotfl: and just for the fun of it! I know that I would love to read a moving to Orlando TR!

Anyway ~ I hope to get lots of good info on Orlando and areas and also to help others with their plans and moves too...If you're planning a move to Orlando or the area ~ feel free to PM me I would love to pass on the info and links I found while researching these past couple of months ;) :)

So come along on the adventure with us ~ we haven't moved anywhere in 20 years so it's going to be exciting!!!

Links

1.Details, details, details :)
2.When Are We Moving???
3.Do We Get A Pool? Help!!! Need Your Input Please!!!
4.Kissimmee & Davenport
5.A Place We Like :)
6.It's Official!!!! We're Moving In 4 Weeks!!!!!!!!!
7.Sunday ~ our last day to relax until after the move!
8.Update for Monday ~ 25 Days until the move!!!
9.Housing Update
10.Nice areas in/around Orlando to live in?
11.Update for Friday ~ only 22 days left!
12.Crime In Orlando
13.Good News! We got the house!!!
14.16 Days Left!!!
15.We're Moving NEXT WEEK!!!
16.Update ~ Friday, 12/26
17.Update ~ Monday, 12/29
18.Tomorrow is our last day in Asheville :( :)

Post Move
1.We're Floridians!
2.Two Week Update
3.Yay!!! We are connected ♥
4.Update 2/17
5.♥ We're AP Holders!!!!!!
6.PICTURES!!!!
7.♥ Our House ♥
8.Orange Grove & Beach Pics
9.More House Pictures ♥
10.Update for Tuesday, March 10th
11.AK Pics
12.Epcot & F&G Preview Pics
13.Update~ 4/26
14.May Update ~ 5/12
15.May Update Cont. / MK pics 5/12
16.Chocolate Factory Tour & Star Wars Weekends
17.We're Here and Doing Great Update ~~ 12/12/10
18.Thanksgiving Florida Style ~~ A Day Spent at ♥ Busch Gardens ♥ Part 1 (12/13)
19.Race Pics and Update 3/7/10

20.3/1/11 Update

21.Shark Tooth Hunting at Caspersen Beach 3/3/11
22.Legoland Florida 3/13/12
23.Bay Lake Tower Photo & Blog Info

24.Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom - New Interactive Disney Game/Attraction
25.Trevon's Birthday & Easter

I will be following your story avidly. You are living my dream (and my family's). Include lots of details on the back story as well the move, okay? I'd love to know what led up to your decision and how you arranged things to make the move go well (lining up work, finding a place to live, etc.) - what are you waiting for? Get posting, already!!!;)

Susan

I'm here Amy! :cool1:

Can't wait to hear the details. So how come it got moved up?? And how did this move come to be?? I want details! :goodvibes

How exciting! I wish I could move to Orlando!

Hi! Thanks for reading :goodvibes

I will be following your story avidly. You are living my dream (and my family's). Include lots of details on the back story as well the move, okay? I'd love to know what led up to your decision and how you arranged things to make the move go well (lining up work, finding a place to live, etc.) - what are you waiting for? Get posting, already!!!;)

Susan

Hi Susan :goodvibes Thanks for reading along! I will include LOTS of details ~ gosh there is so much to talk about I just need to get it out!

I'm here Amy! :cool1:

Can't wait to hear the details. So how come it got moved up?? And how did this move come to be?? I want details! :goodvibes

Hi Carissa! So glad to see you here :goodvibes I will fill you in on all the details!!!!

Okay, so here are all the details...First let me introduce you to the family ;)

It's me, Amy, my sister and our 3 kids Nara 6, Zar 6, Trevon 12 . If you would like to see pics and read details about our family please check out our TR , It's a good one;) I included links for easy reading too ~ here is the link ♥ Three Mamas & Three Angel Babies ~ A Picture Filled TR ♦ 2008 ♦

Why Move?
We have lived in Asheville, NC since 1989 :scared1: and have been talking seriously about moving for the last 6 years. We don't like how polluted it has gotten here in the beautiful mountians that you can't see anymore :confused3 :sad1:
We decided 4 years ago to move to Colorado Springs and we packed and researched and put a deposit on a nice apartment and had a moving sale and sold all of our belongings then 18 days before the move our parents guilt tripped us into staying for a little while longer, so they could wrap things up and move too, to be with the family. WELL, that didnt' happen :laughing: We're still here! It was very sad...we were really excited about the adventure moving would be ~ you see, we've been here since my parents moved us here in '89 when I was a teen. we've never moved away from them or Asheville. This is all new to us and the kids and it's VERY exciting.
So the past four years we've been talking and wishing we could move and just never did. But we wanted to!!!!

Then it happened! I did TONS of research on City-Data forums and decided to move to Santa Fe New Mexico. They have clean air, high minimum wage and we love it out west and have been wanting to go back... then I found some scary info on the net about radioactive storage around the area, research labs and local 3 eyed fish and said no way:scared:

So I kept researching and couldn't find anywhere else we liked except for where we've always wanted to live, Orlando, but we would NEVER move there! Or so we thought...

I can't STAND the heat!!! I can't STAND bugs!!! I can't STAND Orlando's swamp water...you get the point, lol. We are not just Fl. people we told ourselves...hurricanes...the ocean...not for us...it's somewhere great to visit, somewhere you never get enough of, somewhere you dream and think about all the time...but you can't live there...

Well why not?!? We can deal with the heat and bugs and Orlando doesn't get bad hurricanes! Why not move to the "funnest place" we can as my kids say:laughing:

So we decided to do it! Where would we have the most fun? Where can we enjoy our days and evening off? Where makes us so happy? WDW!!!

When arguing my point to my sister it helped that it is closer to my parents than out west and we can just live there a couple of years to enjoy the Fl. lifestyle. The beaches, the amusement parks the orange groves, the swamps, the cruises so close...the heat, yes the heat!

So that is how Orlando came to be. It was already there, we just didn't take it seriously and really consider it. But after seeing how happy it made the kids and us just imagining moving to Fl. we had to do it!

I'm coming along for the ride, Amy. So when will the big move happen?

Did you research homeschooling laws in all the states you considered moving to? I know that's an important factor for you.

I'm coming along for the ride, Amy. So when will the big move happen?

Did you research homeschooling laws in all the states you considered moving to? I know that's an important factor for you.

Hey there! Nice to see you again:goodvibes

It just may be happening in 5 weeks!!! The beginning of Jan. That's the plan ~ we'll know for sure by Sat.!

We were supposed to move in 9 months when our lease was up, but fate has started the ball rolling early!

So glad you're coming along for the adventure!

Florida laws are like North Carolina laws ~ moderate. It should be basically the same as homeschooling here :thumbsup2 If it was one of those strict states :scared: then it wouldn't work...

As someone who LIVES to move every 3 years (and thanks to the military I get to do that very easily), you don't have to explain to me the excitement you all are experiencing. I also hate the heat and humidity, but I survived in the Australian outback for 3 years (no humidity of course, but major heat with super intense sunlight). You find ways to adapt. Personally, I believe that moving around the country (or the world) is a great learning/cultural experience for the kids.

Wow! I'll be following along- DH and I want to be close to my parents who just moved from Long Island in March to W. Melbourne; 45 min from WDW and the schools are rated A+; so I'm mulling it over. And BTW, I grew up in Denver and a few years in Colo Springs, My Dad went to the academy- so anywho- sorry for interloping- I wish you all the best!:grouphug: :cheer2:

Hey! Hey! Hey!

I am sending you a PM....we are coming in Jan and need a place to stay.

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!

Dawn

As someone who LIVES to move every 3 years (and thanks to the military I get to do that very easily), you don't have to explain to me the excitement you all are experiencing. I also hate the heat and humidity, but I survived in the Australian outback for 3 years (no humidity of course, but major heat with super intense sunlight). You find ways to adapt. Personally, I believe that moving around the country (or the world) is a great learning/cultural experience for the kids.

You know how I feel then!!! I couldn't really describe it...you know my dad was in the AF for 20 years until he retired and my mom made him move here:laughing: He still hates it here btw, we were supposed to go to Frankfurt Germany for 2 more years then he was supposed to retire after 22 years but she wanted to see her family. Anyway, we moved around a lot when I was growing up and traveled a lot in all the places we lived and loved it so much. It has been SO hard to just stay here that long. I've had this longing to just move and experience that. I want to see the world again, it's been so long! So imagine staying in one place for 20 years now, after you've been exposed to travelling...:scared1: So yes, we're more than ready! I believe that moving and even just travelling, which is what we've done, is very good for the kids learning and cultural wise. That's why our next goal after enjoying WDW and Fl. for a couple of years will be to get on the road and become fulltime RVers together:goodvibes

Wow! I'll be following along- DH and I want to be close to my parents who just moved from Long Island in March to W. Melbourne; 45 min from WDW and the schools are rated A+; so I'm mulling it over. And BTW, I grew up in Denver and a few years in Colo Springs, My Dad went to the academy- so anywho- sorry for interloping- I wish you all the best!:grouphug: :cheer2:

Hi! Thanks for joining us :goodvibes

You should really consider joining them, even if for a couple of years it would be a fun experience you know? Are you still in Long Island then?

How did you like Co.? I visited when I was younger and liked it.

Thanks!

Hey! Hey! Hey!

I am sending you a PM....we are coming in Jan and need a place to stay.

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!

Dawn

Hi Dawn! Glad you found my PTR.

That's too funny :rotfl: I need to make sure to get a 5 bdrm house for all my DIS friends :laughing:

I love your plan and have tears in my eyes after reading about you guys in your trip report! What a great family. You and your sister are so lucky to have each other and the wonderful interlinked lives you have.

I'm in!!

Oh what about jobs? Is that an issue?

I love your plan and have tears in my eyes after reading about you guys in your trip report! What a great family. You and your sister are so lucky to have each other and the wonderful interlinked lives you have.

I'm in!!

Oh what about jobs? Is that an issue?

Oh, you're so sweet :goodvibes Thanks!

We are really blessed to have each other:goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

Jobs aren't really an issue right now ~ we babysit in the home and out of the home so no matter where we move there will always be a need for that. We have a few months rent saved up so we can find the right families to babysit for and not have to worry about jobs :) I will fill everyone in on more of the details soon!

Thanks for following along ~ it's very exciting!

I completely feel for you having to live in the same place for so long! Chuck is due to retire in 4 1/2 years and I honestly don't know if I can handle settling down somewhere. Moving every 3 years or less has been my lifestyle since I left home at 18. I guess I could settle somewhere and continue to travel a lot. But, there's something special about really submersing oneself in a new place. I want Chuck to get a job as a civilian working for the government and continue to move around. I'm not sure how he feels about that - I think he's ready to settle down and buy a house. :lmao:

I'm here, thanks for the link. I'm very excited your ggoing to share your move to Orlando with all of us. I know how badly i want to move there too. Just not sure which areas are the most family friendly. I guess we would look for somewhere to move and kind of stay put. I'm not sure if TN is going to be that for our family :confused3 . So in the next 2 years it will probably be back to NJ or somwhere new for our family.

Anyway I'm really excited for your family. Your days off and weekends are going to the best!! There is so much to do and see there. being closer to the beach will be great, even just to visit. Looking forward to more popcorn:: .

My husband and I might move to Orlando as well. We both lose our jobs in Michigan so we have nothing holding us back. We were toying with the idea of Chicago and Denver. But my husband says since I love Disney so much why don't we just move down there? I think both of our families would always be visiting if we moved down there.

We just have to find jobs first :thumbsup2

Ok, I have to join in. I moved to Tampa this past July, so I am just a little over an hour from Orlando and love the area. Thought it would be fun to read someone else adventures. I'll have to check out your TR!

As a resident of greater Orlando, I'll answer questions you may have about the areas that I am familiar with. Welcome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter