The Wagon Queen Family Truckster Goes Northwest - Update 10/3 pg 6 (Canada)

Discussion in 'DIS Dads' started by middlepat, Jul 13, 2011.

1. GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes

GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes Dis Dad #469 . . . . "Nation Ford", SC

Yet another reason to get my rump to the Yellow Stone area

Done

It gives me a bit of a chill.

I love me some Disney time, but Mother-Nature is a mighty fine Imagineer in her own right.

Hokey smokes, Bullwinkle!

Nice attraction

Ohhhhhhh… you meant that one.
    Yah that’s nice too.

I suspect that you are right… thanks for sharing though.

A one sentence TR update... well said.
    Thanks again for the great update

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. middlepat

middlepat Dis Dad Member #325

::yes::

Agreed. This was a great "teaser" to entice us to return for a full experience.

You have a book? I thought it was just a paper napkin with some cheesesteak grease on it. :confused3

I think you might be on to something here. I once ordered a slice of pizza in NYC and they gave me a piece of floppy cardboard. :rotfl2:

I went swimming in Lake Michigan.

See, I knew you'd been in there too. :rotfl2:

No cheeseballs for this crew. It would cause Megan to "pull an Evan" in the van. :rotfl2:

Completely agree. The constant theme from our drive was the pure simple beauty we saw outside our windows at every turn or rolling hill. :thumbsup2

Phew, glad someone caught that reference. I was starting to feel old. :thumbsup2

Erika was always better at getting to the point than I was.

4. afwdwfan

afwdwfan DIS Dad #460

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

:eek: Jasmine went on your road trip and you're just now getting around to telling us?!?!?! :rolleyes1

5. KatMark

KatMark DIS Veteran

What a great update, Brian.

That is high praise for that Lander Burger since we've got some pretty darn good burgers right here in our neck of the woods. :thumbsup2

The snow covered mountains are beautiful.

And I love the buffalo and the elk.

Great job, my fellow Illinoisian (did I spell that right :confused3).

6. GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes

GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes Dis Dad #469 . . . . "Nation Ford", SC

Bazinga! :lmao:

Ehhhhh… I wouldn’t be worrying about it.
    You just think you old…

I actually am old. :rotfl2:

7. middlepat

{sigh} no, that is not "the Evan" activity I was referring to.

Agreed, we do have some good offerings locally, but I still would go out of my way for a Lander burger. (Hmmmm... only 1227 miles door to door. :scratchin Anyone up for a road trip? You buy the gas, I'll buy the burgers)

I'll say yes, you're right. Of course I was educated in Canada so I'm used to throwing around a few extra "u"s in words, so consider the source my neighbour.

Not old, just from a different vintage. :rotfl2:

8. Captain_Oblivious

Captain_Oblivious DIS Dad #257

I say notebook, you say greasy napkin. It's probably a regional thing.

I was so close to going with that joke, and then figured I'd already put up the picture of the Simpsons fish so I'd leave it alone.

Darn. I was hoping Jasmine would show up, too.

9. KatMark

KatMark DIS Veteran

Just wanted to pop in and say goodbye....we leave for Disney tomorrow. I am taking my laptop with me so I'll check for an update when I can. :goodvibes

10. middlepat

Have a great trip! I'll try not to overload your bandwidth with too many updates. :lmao:

11. middlepat

So as we left Yellowstone we had a bit of a jaunt to get to our next hotel stop. (about 250 miles or so) So we were fortunate in the fact that we were in Montana, land of the "no posted speed limit durring daylight hours." Or something like that. So we engaged the hyperdrive and took it to Ludicrous Speed. Furtunately we didn't quite make to plaid or I'd have a bit of explaining to do.

Anyways, our drive was fairly uneventful during the daylight hours, however, about twilight (with 150 miles to go) we hit a snag. The road we were routed to travel on was, well, no longer paved. I'm sute that Montana DOT had a project on the books or something, they just forgot to register it with AAA. Well we figured that we'd fight on through and sure enough, the road was paved again about 10 miles down. This was fine until we hit a railroad crossing where we decided to take the opportunity to rustle up some evening snacks for the kids from the back of the van. What came next was the biggest shocker of all.

Mosquitoes. Lots of them. And they were hungry. So I moved as quickly as I could and got everyone situated, but wouldn't you know a few of the vampire bugs decided to stay in the van. So for the next half hour or so all we heard from the back rows was "Mom, there's another one." SPLAT!

However, that was not the last we'd hear from the lost tribes of the blood sucking insects. We got back onto an Interstate and were making good time when we started to hear the sound... "plink, plink, plink plink plink". I turned to Erika and said (fully knowing the answer) "Is it raining outside dear?" Um, no. Not rain. Bugs. Lots and lots of bugs meeting a van going somewhere around 65 MPH (that 65 was for Fed's sake, it was really closer to 90) When we got to the hotel the front of the van had a mean 5 o'clock shadow.

So we got settled into our Hapton Inn in Great Falls, MT for a nice relaxing night. This room was really nice. Not as modern as the Springhill, or as spacious as the Best Western, but overall nice. We had 2 queen beds and a pull out which suited our family well. There was still room to walk through so we were all happy. The next morning we all helped ourselves to the complementary breakfast which was similar to the others we had earlier. Given that this was one of the cheapest rates we had, very happy! Solid B+ rating for Hampton Inn.

Well, we finished up breakfast and headed on north. Today's destination was...

GRANDMA'S HOUSE!!!! (oh, and Granddad too)

So we got moving and hit the road. Before we leaft the country, we wanted to send along some postcards to Nani and Opa back in Chicago so we stopped at a little post office near the border.

[​IMG]

If you look closely, you can see all (yes ALL) of the mail recipient's boxes that they serve (I think it was 20 total).

It was a cute little town with a grain elevator, a general store (with gas pump) and this post office. Erika we're definitely not in Chicago anymore.

Well we mailed our post cards and headed on down the road to CANADA!!!

[​IMG]

I always knew there would be a line to get in. Why wouldn't there be? Its Canada!

Seriously though, the line wnet farily quickly and we were on our way. We continued on toward Lethbridge and followed the signs for Hwy 2. I thought we were making really good time, until I saw a sign that said Fernie, 60 km. Um, Fernie is in BC, why would it only be 60 km away? Wait.... D'oh!!!! Missed that turn back at Lethbridge for Hwy 2. So we pulled the U-turn and enjoyed the scenery for the last 40 miles for a second time. Just cause.

We found the turn that I missed the first time and low and behold we were travelling North again. (and the crowd rejoiced) Unfortunately our little 40 mile detour although scenic, landed us in the middle of rush hour traffic in Calgary on the Wednesday before Canada Day. :headache: So we crawled though the Stampede City and every few minutes would point out to the girls, look out the left side, you can see the Calgary Tower and the Rockies. See that girls. :rolleyes1

All in all, it wasn't too bad, we got through Calgary in about 45 minutes (South side to North side) and were once again on the open road. One thing I forgot to mention was that the weather was beautiful! 85 degrees, sunny, perfect driving / sight seeing weather. The reason I remembered this now was that as we got close to Edmonton (about 30 miles away) we hit a storm. Big, nasty, thunderstorm. This is not atypical during the summer to have these big rainstorms in the middle of the afternoon. They typically blast for 30 minutes or so, then clear out. Well this one was a little different. It hung. And it was brutal. As we inched along the highway we watched the temperature plummet. As I said before it was 85 degrees, well by the time we pulled off the Highway, it was 55!!!! :scared1:

Fortunately the rain stopped for a while once we got to Grandma's and Grandad's house so that we could head inside and finally relax as the journey was done.

Up Next. A Canada Day BBQ and "Are those Dinosaurs in the woods?"

12. FreezinRafiki

FreezinRafiki Cold enough for ya?

A problem with the DOT causing problems for taxpayers! I've never heard of such a thing!

Sorry to hear about the bugs.
    I'm even sorryier to find out that I read this entire entry about mosquitoes and didn't see one "man, that sucks" reference. :sad2:

Even worse is when you van is hungover. I don't even talk to my van on Saturday morning before he's had his 2nd cup of coffee.

And I'll guarantee that you'll be the talk of the town for years to come.

"Hey, remember when that family from Chicago stopped and mailed some post cards?"
    "Yup."
    "That was cool."
    "Yup."

Rush hour in Calgary? What's that - a heard of cattle and few randomly roaming elk?

Yeah, but what's the exchange rate? That's really like an hour and a half Canadian time, right?

Welcome to Canada, eh?

:thumbsup2 Always nice to get out of the van knowing you'll be staying for a few days!

13. afwdwfan

afwdwfan DIS Dad #460

No explanation necessary. Well, maybe you'd have to explain how you got a non-Freezin Rafiki modified van to go that fast.

Montana has a DOT? :confused3

Woohoo! :woohoo:

I thought the traffic jam was caused by mounties riding down the highway.:confused3

Do they have a DOT in Canada? Don't they put up highway signs?

So, how long did this last before the groaning and eye rolling started in the back of the van?

That actually probably felt pretty good! :rotfl2:

Canadian BBQ and dinosaurs... so in other words, the next update is going to be fictional? :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

14. Captain_Oblivious

Did anything happen when you hit 88 mph? I know I'm mixing my movie references here, but work with me.

Geez, you had a perfectly good road. Who says it has to be paved? All of these high-quality roads around the rest of the country (such as in Delaware) must have turned you into a road snob.

I bet in other countries, they don't even put signs up to tell you where you're going.

Yuck. I know you're in Montana, but oddly enough, this reminds me of a vacation my family took to the Everglades.

:eek: Were they locusts? Did you find any lamb's blood to paint over your door that night?

Decent room, cheap rate, and free breakfast always makes for a winner. :thumbsup2

So even when you're older, Dad is still the low man on the totem pole? Now I have nothing to look forward to.

Exhibit A for why the Postal Service is losing money.

I heard Canada Day is also known as Free Beer Day. Did that have something to do with it? :confused3

See? I tried to warn you.

Lamb's blood, I'm tellin' ya.

No, it's just that giant beaver balloon from the Olympics.

15. Captain_Oblivious

It was a road. They drove on it. They got where they wanted to go. Where's the problem? :confused3

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

See, you learn to appreciate us when we're not there.

16. middlepat

You understand my surprise then.

Barry, I knew I could count on you. :sad2:

Sounds like the dialogue from a DisDad Meetup.

No, in Calgary they have horse trailers, cattle cars and oil rigs. It can cause quite a mess if there ever is a pile up.

I think you double it and add 30. So that would be like 2 hours or something.

Take off Eh!

Remember, I've actually met the frozen monkey a couple of times. Maybe he modified something, maybe he didn't.

They do. Just not nearly as famous as those DeDOT guys. They get all the press. :lmao:

No way, the mounties are too polite. They always let the other guy go ahead.

Signs, signs? We don't need no stinkin' signs.

I don't know what you're talking about Andy. They were begging for more, at least that what I remember.

It didn't bother me too much, but Erika was shall we say... put off by the temp.

I did not say Canadian BBQ, that would be fictional. I said a BBQ in Canada.

We saw some serious splat. :rotfl2: (Thanks for that setup there Capt!)

Actually even though it wasn't paved it still was better than 90% of the Chicago roads after the winter thaw and exposure of all the pot holes caused by our snow removal folks.

Signs, signs? We don't need no stinkin' signs.
    (is it wrong to quote yourself in the same multi-quote :confused3)

Yeah it was.... memorable.... :sick:

Sorry, they were fresh out at the local 7-11. Maybe I should have tried the Circle K.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 (2 thumbs up!)

Well, you have your looks to fall back on..... yeah you got nothing. :rotfl2:

I also think that Elvis was the postmaster.

Free Beer in Canada? Now that is blasphemous. Canadian Beer should never be given away for free.

I didn't know you could predict the future. :confused3 Got next week's lotto numbers handy too? :rolleyes1

Yeah, I gotta put some of that in the emergency kit for next trip.

The beaver is a proud and noble animal.

Now I understand the DOT logic base. :rolleyes1

You're right, when I need to rest on a shovel, I like knowing my local DOT is close by. :rotfl2:

17. KatMark

KatMark DIS Veteran

Great update. Too bad about those nasty mosquitos and the van being covered with bugs--YUCK! But glad you reached your destination safely and were able to settle in.

18. middlepat

Thanks Kathy. Hope you are enjoying your trip.

19. KatMark

KatMark DIS Veteran

We are, but sad that tomorrow is our last full day. I hope to start my TR on Thursday or Friday. We MIGHT have a new favorite resort. :goodvibes

20. LisaKeys

LisaKeys Mouseketeer

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this TR from another Disney TR! It's a nice, refreshing sidetrip away from WDW.

I read all of your pages, and since the NW is a part of our country that I have never been able to visit, I am thoroughly enjoying the virtual trip. :thumbsup2

Looking forward to visiting the grandparents. :surfweb:

ps - only thing worse than massive amounts of bugs hitting your vehicle, is trying to get the glued carcasses off! :scared1: