The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

The room has always been listed on the registration form since I started looking for it. Several visits to the villas and hotel over the last couple years :thumbsup2
The number was listed even though the room was not ready.

Maybe that's just at WDW. Now that I think about it, the 2 times that I stayed at VGC my friend registered us. The last time she went in to register while I parked the car.

Advise! We leave in 16 days for our first stay as DVC members and our first stay at VGC. We are in a 1 bedroom. I have requested a room on a high floor with a theme park view. MS has replied to my requested and said it will be noted (not guaranteed) on our reservation. Should I be more specific? Is there a 1 bedroom I should be requesting to hopefully get the best view for our first stay at VGC?

Advise! We leave in 16 days for our first stay as DVC members and our first stay at VGC. We are in a 1 bedroom. I have requested a room on a high floor with a theme park view. MS has replied to my requested and said it will be noted (not guaranteed) on our reservation. Should I be more specific? Is there a 1 bedroom I should be requesting to hopefully get the best view for our first stay at VGC?
I have had good results giving a specific list of room numbers. This might make it easier, since the CM assigning rooms might not know the views. A list also allows you to prioritize, since I would rather stay in 3508 (third floor with a WOC view) than 5514 (fifth floor with a Redwood Creek view).

I like a view of WOC, so would be my request:
6502, 5508, 5502, 4508, 3508, 4502,3502

While checking in, make sure to let the CM know this is your first DVC stay as an owner. You may receive a lanyard or other small welcome gift. I did not have a room request on my first visit, and the CM spend extra time changing my room assignment to 5502 -- which might have been because it was my first visit or the CM was just being helpful :goodvibes

I have had good results giving a specific list of room numbers. This might make it easier, since the CM assigning rooms might not know the views. A list also allows you to prioritize, since I would rather stay in 3508 (third floor with a WOC view) than 5514 (fifth floor with a Redwood Creek view).

I like a view of WOC, so would be my request:
6502, 5508, 5502, 4508, 3508, 4502,3502

While checking in, make sure to let the CM know this is your first DVC stay as an owner. You may receive a lanyard or other small welcome gift. I did not have a room request on my first visit, and the CM spend extra time changing my room assignment to 5502 -- which might have been because it was my first visit or the CM was just being helpful :goodvibes

Thank you! Can I just email member services or is it better to call/contact the hotel itself?

Thanks!

Thank you! Can I just email member services or is it better to call/contact the hotel itself?

Thanks!

Also good for you to check in as early as possible, and let them know that you are willing to wait for a room with a better view than to get in earlier (if you are ok with that). Bring the list of room #s with you. Usually they won't tell you what room you are in (if it's not ready yet), but you can show them the list and ask them to try to ensure you are in one of those rooms...

We've had good luck getting our preferred rooms when we've followed the above approach.

So jealous! We'll be there in 15 days but didn't want to spend the points for DVC in the high season so we are staying offsite (saving points for our trip in June in a 1BR). We still plan on spending some time in the lobby and enjoying the Grand Californian Christmas cheer. Have a wonderful trip!

Was checking the DVC reservation site to see if any rooms might be available Christmas week when we are there. Interestingly enough, the only room available is the Grand Villa on Christmas Day! Anyone want to pool points together and have a VGC Owner Christmas feast!! :thumbsup2

I didn't, but have heard how others have so am trying to figure out why I did not. I'll be calling member services tomorrow, but thought I would ask on here to see if others got invited.

SELF PARKING IS NOW FREE!!

Just ran across this post and I'd like to confirm if self-parking is indeed free, as that will be a determining factor as to whether I rent a car or not for an upcoming stay. I'm renting points to stay in a 2-bedroom villa; will self-parking be free for me?

Not sure if this is ok here.

Would someone be willing to check availability for me? I'm not at 7 months yet but want to consider my options. Looking for the week of the disneyland half.

I'm not at 7 months yet but want to consider my options. Looking for the week of the disneyland half.
I am booking other dates, so it only took a second to check :thumbsup2
Looking at a 2 week window: Aug 24 to Sep 6.
Studio is not available Aug 31 and Sep 1, Grand Villa is not available Aug 26 and Aug 30, all other dates and room types are available. (no studio also means no 2 bedroom lockoff).

Just ran across this post and I'd like to confirm if self-parking is indeed free, as that will be a determining factor as to whether I rent a car or not for an upcoming stay. I'm renting points to stay in a 2-bedroom villa; will self-parking be free for me?

YES - SELF PARKING for DVC members is still free!! :yay: If you are renting from a DVC member this should still apply! :thumbsup2

We bought points this week at VGC. Had purchased Aulani on our last DCL cruise in November but ended up not signing the contract after we got home as I didn't want my home to be Aulani. We live in So CA and wanted the 11 month window option for VGC.
Does anyone know how often VGC has been available either on the resale market & Disney direct (well the disney direct would I guess only be after the resale and ROFR?)
I have only seen 3 available on resale market in the last few months- 2 with too many points than I desired & the other with point cost > $100 and we thought we would just prefer to buy direct.
We now have to decide if we want to sign on a 3rd contract for another 50 points but have been debating possibly owning points at an alternate DVC resort and buying much cheaper on the resale market? if we decide resale- there seem to be an abundance of non VGC options. Just wondering if we pass on the 50 pt VGC contract we were wait listed for how often they have been coming up available again in recent history?

It didn't seem worth saving <$2500-3000 on our contract to have the restrictions of the resale market. does this seem crazy thinking? I know it is a good chunk of $$ but it keeps our options open to the entire collection that I am uncertain how much we would use??

miyta said:
We bought points this week at VGC. Had purchased Aulani on our last DCL cruise in November but ended up not signing the contract after we got home as I didn't want my home to be Aulani. We live in So CA and wanted the 11 month window option for VGC.
Does anyone know how often VGC has been available either on the resale market & Disney direct (well the disney direct would I guess only be after the resale and ROFR?)
I have only seen 3 available on resale market in the last few months- 2 with too many points than I desired & the other with point cost > $100 and we thought we would just prefer to buy direct.
We now have to decide if we want to sign on a 3rd contract for another 50 points but have been debating possibly owning points at an alternate DVC resort and buying much cheaper on the resale market? if we decide resale- there seem to be an abundance of non VGC options. Just wondering if we pass on the 50 pt VGC contract we were wait listed for how often they have been coming up available again in recent history?

It didn't seem worth saving <$2500-3000 on our contract to have the restrictions of the resale market. does this seem crazy thinking? I know it is a good chunk of $$ but it keeps our options open to the entire collection that I am uncertain how much we would use??

When do you think you will travel and will you want to visit WDW? We have a larger contract at SSR (direct) and then 100pts at VGC(also direct) bought SSR before VGC was available, but it actually works out great for us. Often visit DLR in May/early June or early Oct and haven't had a problem booking at 7mo I usually book a couple of night using VGC points, then extend at 7mo. I also know in the rare occasion we can't get VGC we can get Aulani, WDW or non DVC. Even though it's not a great use of points, I like the back up of being able to book Disney Collection or Concierge. I would love to have all VGC points, but then we wouldn't have as many. Not ensure about direct vs indirect, but I do like the flexibility to book outside locally and not have to fly to WDW or Aulani. We've stayed at Del Coronado and Squaw Valley on points.

I wouldn't call it free. You pay for the parking in your dues along with maintaince for the lot.

Of course paying for ANYTHING in annual dues will always be apart of timeshares! ::yes:: Although in our case when you live so close to travel in your own CARS (that's more than 1) sometimes the word FREE seems GREAT!!
:thumbsup2 ;) - Husbands car = FREE My son's car = FREE & My car = $22 a day! :rolleyes1 ( sometimes I like to valet when taking other teenage son back n forth to school activities!!) :drive:

When do you think you will travel and will you want to visit WDW? We have a larger contract at SSR (direct) and then 100pts at VGC(also direct) bought SSR before VGC was available, but it actually works out great for us. Often visit DLR in May/early June or early Oct and haven't had a problem booking at 7mo I usually book a couple of night using VGC points, then extend at 7mo. I also know in the rare occasion we can't get VGC we can get Aulani, WDW or non DVC. Even though it's not a great use of points, I like the back up of being able to book Disney Collection or Concierge. I would love to have all VGC points, but then we wouldn't have as many. Not ensure about direct vs indirect, but I do like the flexibility to book outside locally and not have to fly to WDW or Aulani. We've stayed at Del Coronado and Squaw Valley on points.

We will want vgc in late oct, mid dec and late winter. WDW not sure as we have never been but probably semi off season if there is one..... No summer no major holiday and no spring break. We are thinking about a small contract at Saratoga?
The vgc stays will likely be 2 nights to 4 or 5 max.

I foresee us going to wDW and aulani 1-2 times each in the next 5-6 years

We will want vgc in late oct, mid dec and late winter.
You will need the VGC home resort points to book in Oct and Dec, but late winter will be easier to book.
The vgc stays will likely be 2 nights to 4 or 5 max.
What room type?
Once you stay in a 1 bedroom, you will be spoiled :goodvibes
After my first visit in a 1 bedroom, I added points :teacher:

All my points are at VGC, and any more added points will likely also be at VGC. The lower initial point costs at WDW are tempting, but the high demand and small size of VGC make the home resort booking window very important.

You will need the VGC home resort points to book in Oct and Dec, but late winter will be easier to book.

What room type?
Once you stay in a 1 bedroom, you will be spoiled :goodvibes
After my first visit in a 1 bedroom, I added points :teacher:

All my points are at VGC, and any more added points will likely also be at VGC. The lower initial point costs at WDW are tempting, but the high demand and small size of VGC make the home resort booking window very important.

Yes that is why my first plan was to only get VGC but 75 % of our use of points in the next 5 yrs would likely be WDW/Aulani. I am contemplating 2/3 my points at VGC and 1/3 at SSR. I was thinking it might still work out fine even in the years I want all VGC- sinice I would be ok with some last minute travel and off season dates that would be available at the 7mo point possibly

We will likely book studio or 1 br- studio if just me and the little ones. 1 br if DH & all 3 kids.

I might just say goodbye to the extra few thousands of dollars and have all the points at VGC. I have a little bit of time to decide on the add on contract. I don't think I will shop around for a resale VGC contract since the price pp seems to be more narrow and to keep with same member # & use year but that might be foolish choice.....

I still haven't seen any responses as to what has been happening lately with resale market of VGC- are they all getting snatched back up by Disney? it seems that most are resale at $95-110 point

choices....choices

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter