The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

So..... I was trying to book my first stay as a non owner at VGC and didn't realize that they had changed Adventure season to start on Jan 8th instead of Jan 3rd :crazy2: Guess learned my lesson to always checking the online points calculator when planning, smh. Anywhoo just wondering if anybody knows off hand where they deducted points or changed another season to compensate for the change?

Okay, I just checked out of the "other" Grand Villa, and I need to correct the record. At first I was very disappointed that we didn't have the famous "theme park view" GV, but the one that faces the pool actually has a fantastic view of the fireworks! After the first night, when we watched them in the park, we spent every night with all our lights out and the curtains open at the two-story tall windows and enjoyed the view. So from now on, we should call them "Paradise Pier view" and "Fireworks view"!

Our trip was absolutely fantastic. I thought four nights in a GV would be a once in a lifetime trip, but it was so great, we're just going to have to do it again! Sorry to all my renters who thought I'd have extra VGC points anytime soon! :blush:

Thanks so much for this report. We're going to be in the GV in about two weeks and I intentionally did not request either of the rooms, leaving to chance which one we got. Now I really don't care which one we get. It sounds like both are fantastic. In some respects I'd almost prefer the "Fireworks View".

We are about 6 weeks out from our stay. I have two separate reservations for a 1BR because I used two contracts. I would like to request that those be linked so we don't have to check out in the middle or worse.... possibly change rooms! I would also like to request a non paradise pier view (shocking, I know!) as we have 3 Grad nights during our 5 night stay. Do I email teh resort directly or Member services? Thank you!
So I made this request... And was given a PP view room- go figure!! It's loud right now... But I know it'll end. Hopefully it won't be too loud come Grad Nights. Also... The wifi.... Terrible!! But we had s great first day at DCA!

...I would also like to request a non paradise pier view (shocking, I know!)...
...So I made this request... And was given a PP view room- go figure!!
Not specific to VGC, but based on other view request discussions -- it's better to request what you specifically want and not make any comment about what you don't want. Many guests want to avoid HA villas, but making a request for a non-HA seems to increase the likelihood being assigned an HA villa.
...The wifi.... Terrible!!
I have found the WiFi in the VGC wing to be generally better than other areas of the GCH, so you might want to complain.

Thanks Nonsuch. We called down tonight. After being sent back and forth for about 20 min, my husband was told to try again in a few. We did. It's still not working for more than 30 seconds. It often doesn't even show as an option. They offered to send someone tonight, but our kids are in bed, hence the need for the wifi! So, someone is coming tomorrow.

...It's still not working for more than 30 seconds. It often doesn't even show as an option.
This is might be unrated to your issues, but it can be helpful to access a Disney site (disney.com or disneyland.com) which causes the "accept terms" page to load. This is not unique to GCH, similar workarounds are needed with many public WiFi networks (ATT in particular).

Update: the Grand is changing wifi router companies (or something to that affect). There is no wi-fi in the villas (and maybe elsewhere? But they said parts of the resort) until 6/13.

A little help, please. I know I saw a post and can't find it...exterior photos of the VGC with a room numbers overlay. Do all studios have balconies? (We found out they don't at VWL...) Thanks.

The only ones that don't as far as I know are the ones over the monorail. -edit- all VGC has balcony snoring patios. Normal non VGC over the monorail are the only rooms that don't have balconies

Last edited:
A little help, please. I know I saw a post and can't find it...exterior photos of the VGC with a room numbers overlay. Do all studios have balconies? (We found out they don't at VWL...) Thanks.

All VGC rooms have balconies or else ground floor has patios.

Regarding VWL there is only one studio that does not have a balcony. All other villas there have balconies or patios too.

All VGC rooms have balconies or else ground floor has patios.

Regarding VWL there is only one studio that does not have a balcony. All other villas there have balconies or patios too.
And I was (un)lucky enough to get that one! You should have seen our faces when we walked in the room...

And I was (un)lucky enough to get that one! You should have seen our faces when we walked in the room...

It almost seems to be an initiation at VWL from many reports! We usually book 1 brs so they haven't had much chance to catch us yet. :laughing:

...exterior photos of the VGC with a room numbers overlay. Do all studios have balconies?
All VGC rooms have balconies.

Repost of exterior room numbers:

Paradise Pier side:
exterior_pier.jpg

Redwood Creek side:
exterior_trail.jpg

Pool side:
exterior_pool.jpg

All VGC rooms have balconies.

Repost of exterior room numbers:

Paradise Pier side:
exterior_pier.jpg

Redwood Creek side:
exterior_trail.jpg

Pool side:
exterior_pool.jpg

That's exactly what I was looking for! Look at rooms 5516 and 3516. They have walls instead of railings?

YEEEE! I was able to book 3 nights at the Grand Cal in late January right at the seven month mark this morning! MDE being down kept me from booking online but I called at 8am and had my choice of Studio, 1 or 2 bedroom. Although it will be about my 20th time to DL it will be our first stay at VGC and only my second time at DCA so super excited! :yay:

I just passed ROFR for a contract at VGC. We haven't even closed (and I can't look at the availability website yet) and my mom wants to do a big family reunion in the grand villa before there are too many grandkids and we won't fit any more. Well that's more points then I have. How hard is it to find vgc points for transfer? How hard is it to book the grand villas for 5 nights in a row?

I just passed ROFR for a contract at VGC. We haven't even closed (and I can't look at the availability website yet) and my mom wants to do a big family reunion in the grand villa before there are too many grandkids and we won't fit any more. Well that's more points then I have. How hard is it to find vgc points for transfer? How hard is it to book the grand villas for 5 nights in a row?

Booking a GV is usually not too bad as long as you book before 8 months or so, however there are only 2 of them, so you could get unlucky. Actually booking any rooms at VGC at > 8 months or so is usually not too bad, so having the home resort window is very valuable.

VGC is a small DVC, so there's not a lot of owners so getting a transfer might be harder, but I've seen people advertising on the Rent/Trade board, you just might need a bit of luck.

Last edited:
I just passed ROFR for a contract at VGC...
Welcome Home :welcome:
...How hard is it to find vgc points for transfer? How hard is it to book the grand villas for 5 nights in a row?
It should not be difficult to book a GV for 5 nights, but you will need all points (the ones you own and the transferred points) to be VGC home points -- so you can book ahead of the 7 month window.

You will want to post on the Rent/Trade board for more information. The number of point transfers per year are restricted, and can make it more difficult than renting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter