The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

For busy times like race weekends you should probably be on there right at 11 months but normal weekends isn't too tough
I do race weekends in a studio. Yes I am on the computer at 8am at 11 months... Recently booked star wars next January.

Hello all! We own at VGC and love staying there. The last time I was at DLR, I heard the waiting list for purchasing VGC has closed. Does anyone know if this is true? We have always wanted to add VGC points in the future. That would make me sad if I couldn't.
There are actually quite a few resale VGC contracts for sale with The Timeshare Store currently. We used this agency twice last year and had a great experience both times--very professional business. I believe I can name them on here because they are a sponsor. Hopefully this link will work: http://www.dvcstore.com/dvclisting-grand-californian.cfm

I heard that probably 6 months ago? But you can buy them resale. We purchased our 1st contract resale last April and a few months later got the add-on bug and added another 100 point contract with the same use year. I've seen VGC contracts on some of the resale sites recently. They are pricey, but less than buying direct from Disney even if you still could.

Thanks for the info. I am on a email list for a Timeshare reselling Realtor. I do notice contracts for VGC do pop up on occasion, but not often. We are not in a hurry, since I have been able to use our SSR points for a one bedroom at the seven month mark without much trouble if I don't try book for the week of Christmas. The thing is, we have been booking during the week of Christmas the last few years. So I'm thinking if this is a trend for our family, we are going to need more points!

Thanks for the info. I am on a email list for a Timeshare reselling Realtor. I do notice contracts for VGC do pop up on occasion, but not often. We are not in a hurry, since I have been able to use our SSR points for a one bedroom at the seven month mark without much trouble if I don't try book for the week of Christmas. The thing is, we have been booking during the week of Christmas the last few years. So I'm thinking if this is a trend for our family, we are going to need more points!
Looks like they have a dozen+ listings on The Timeshare Story currently, with a wide variety of use years.

Looks like they have a dozen+ listings on The Timeshare Store currently, with a wide variety of use years.

The Timeshare Store email is the one I am on. I have heard lots of good things about them over the years. I would definitely go to them if I couldn't buy through Disney (I like having the option of using my points for the Cruises - especially the DVC Member Cruises)

The Timeshare Store email is the one I am on. I have heard lots of good things about them over the years. I would definitely go to them if I couldn't buy through Disney (I like having the option of using my points for the Cruises - especially the DVC Member Cruises)
I guess if you have enough through-Disney points for the cruises, you could have extra resale points for VGC and just not use the for cruises. Yes, that is the only bummer part I've found about resale, but we've never done a cruise, so I don't know what I'm missing yet! ;-)

I guess if you have enough through-Disney points for the cruises, you could have extra resale points for VGC and just not use the for cruises. Yes, that is the only bummer part I've found about resale, but we've never done a cruise, so I don't know what I'm missing yet! ;-)

I have only gone on one Disney Cruise and that was the DVC Member Cruise back in 2013. (DH and I were celebrating our 20th Anniversary - Disney Style). I know these cruises require more points and money to take them, but we thought it was well worth the extra costs. We are at the point in our lives where staying at a DVC unit won't take as much points. Both our girls are off to college next year and starting their own lives, so the need to book a bigger unit isn't necessary. So I thought using our points for a DVC Member Cruise would be a great way to use them.

Of course, I would still like to own points at the resort we love and go to often. For us, that means VGC.

I have only gone on one Disney Cruise and that was the DVC Member Cruise back in 2013. (DH and I were celebrating our 20th Anniversary - Disney Style). I know these cruises require more points and money to take them, but we thought it was well worth the extra costs. We are at the point in our lives where staying at a DVC unit won't take as much points. Both our girls are off to college next year and starting their own lives, so the need to book a bigger unit isn't necessary. So I thought using our points for a DVC Member Cruise would be a great way to use them.

Of course, I would still like to own points at the resort we love and go to often. For us, that means VGC.
That sounds like a great plan to me! We have grown boys but still have teen girls at home, so we have a few years. We are enjoying not being empty nesters quite yet. :goodvibes I have horrible motion sickness, so I have been a big chicken about going on a cruise. We are going to Aulani this summer though to celebrate our son's college graduation and my 50th. Maybe we'll have to celebrate our 30th anniversary in a few years Disney style. :thumbsup2

All you have to do is own a minimum of 25 qualified points to be able to book the Member Cruise on cash. The savings of resale vs retail would still be advantageous if you really needed the ability to go on the member cruise.

That sounds like a great plan to me! We have grown boys but still have teen girls at home, so we have a few years. We are enjoying not being empty nesters quite yet. :goodvibes I have horrible motion sickness, so I have been a big chicken about going on a cruise. We are going to Aulani this summer though to celebrate our son's college graduation and my 50th. Maybe we'll have to celebrate our 30th anniversary in a few years Disney style. :thumbsup2

Aulani was fun! We went the summer before our eldest went off to college. PM me if you would like some pointers.

All you have to do is own a minimum of 25 qualified points to be able to book the Member Cruise on cash. The savings of resale vs retail would still be advantageous if you really needed the ability to go on the member cruise.

I didn't know about the 25 point minimum (I more than make that requirement). Thanks for the info!!

I get the value of paying by cash vs using points argument. But if I had to choose losing points, I thought I could use them for a cruise.

Aulani was fun! We went the summer before our eldest went off to college. PM me if you would like some pointers.

I didn't know about the 25 point minimum (I more than make that requirement). Thanks for the info!!

I get the value of paying by cash vs using points argument. But if I had to choose losing points, I thought I could use them for a cruise.

But with brokers there's not really any reason to lose points as you can easily rent them out. Even if you didn't want to use a broker to rent DVC is relatively easy to rent. And you'd almost always end up with cash in your pocket after paying for what you would otherwise use the points for.

Rental question

We have some points expiring in November (Dec. use year) we want to rent out. I've had them out for a week and no bites. Should I book, say, a studio reservation for Thanksgiving weekend before the 7-month window opens as a backup--i.e., to rent that reservation instead of the points? The points would cover a studio for 3 nights.

Rental question

We have some points expiring in November (Dec. use year) we want to rent out. I've had them out for a week and no bites. Should I book, say, a studio reservation for Thanksgiving weekend before the 7-month window opens as a backup--i.e., to rent that reservation instead of the points? The points would cover a studio for 3 nights.

I probably would. With them expiring soon, you don't want to wait and then not be able to secure a reservation to rent out.

Hey, everyone. Searched this thread (and forum) for this answer, but didn't see anything about it, so wanted to check real quick.

How big are the safes? Would they fit a 13" MacBook? Going in a couple weeks, and just curious.

Thanks!

I'm so excited to join this thread and am thanking you all in advance for the information on VGC. It looks so beautiful!! We are huge WDW fans and own at AKL. We have decided to go to Disneyland (first time for all of us!!) next June to celebrate daughter's high school graduation. We love Disney so much and can't wait to see and feel the history. I'm already excited to start planning even though it's just over a year away. We are going to start praying now that we can get a 1 bedroom villa at the 7 month window! No matter what though, I cannot wait to see Walt's original park!!!!

Has anyone stayed in a studio recently?
I am planning for my upcoming May trip and want to bring the right coffee.

Do they still have typical "Mr. Coffee" drip coffee pots (flat bottom filters) or have they changed to K-cup style coffee makers.

Thanks for your help!

Do they still have typical "Mr. Coffee" drip coffee pots (flat bottom filters) or have they changed to K-cup style coffee makers.
Studios have the same 12 cup Mr Coffee (flat bottom basket) found in other villas, as of July 2015. There have been no reports of K-cup coffee makers at DLR (villas or hotels).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter