1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

The Very First Dis Book Club Discussion Thread - The Pirate Latitudes

Discussion in 'The DIS Unplugged Podcast' started by DisneyKevin, Mar 1, 2010.

1. dizneedoll

dizneedoll Curioser and Curioser

I don't post often over on the podcast board too often but I love the idea of a book club! Thanks for taking it on Nikki. I read Pirate Latitudes about a month ago. I don't want to discuss too much of the plot yet so I don't spoil it for others. But I'll just say of all the Crichton books I've read this was pretty much the worst one. Not that is was bad, just not as good as his other works.

I wondered the same thing. I've read almost all of his books and this one doesn't feel like him at all. I wondered what the story behind the "lost" manuscript was.

True. But there are a lot of similarities to the Pirates movies. I wondered if he maybe wrote the book, then went to the movies and saw POTC and walked out thinking "oh crap, well I guess I won't be publishing that" :rotfl:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mainegal

mainegal <font color=purple>I am becoming very good at maki

I really liked this "rule" in Kevin's first post.

Please keep other titles and socializing on other threads. This will make it easier to read the discussion of the one book we are reading together.

Thanks!:flower3:

4. nmoore14

nmoore14 Is there life outside of Disney? If so, I don't w

This books sounds good. I like most books by Michal Crichton books. Happy reading everyone!pirate:

5. *NikkiBell*

*NikkiBell* The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible Moderator

Thanks for chiming in, Lyn. I agree with this rule, too, and think everyone's doing a great job with it. Of course, a line or two slightly off topic will happen, but it's all in good fun and adds dynamics to the thread. :)

6. FlightlessDuck

FlightlessDuck Pluto's personal nose scratcher

While I like this idea a lot, I'm not going to join in on the detailed discussion this time since I just finished the book and I am not going to read it over again. But I will chime in from time to time.

In general, I liked this book. I did feel it started to drag a little in the middle. But that might be because of my low attention span. :happytv:

Also, I'm used to Crichton's more tech-related books (like Jurassic Park), so this was a different experience for me.

7. Northern_Julie

Northern_Julie Mouseketeer

I didn't know he had passed away. This brings up so many questions to me in how it was edited. The relationship between an author and editor can be a slippery slope to keep the original intent intact. This could very well be his work but it was edited without his imput it may not be the adventure he intended after editing.

I haven't read Micheal Crichton in many years. Something his work has always done for me is made me go an look things up. I have an archivist background and find myself looking into the time period to paint a more vivid picture. I took a natural dying workshop a year ago and ended up looking up the dyes he was describing in the first chapter.
    Is it the chroic researcher in me or do other people find themselves looking into the time period and other tiny details?

8. wishspirit

wishspirit <font color=teal>When you wish upon a star!<br><fo

Got the book out today from the library! Now I just have to get to reading! Hopefully have some time over the weekend!

9. sc9500

sc9500 Hile... Gunslinger...

I think reading awakens imagination and curiosity by design. I actually looked up the origins of snuff yesterday.

10. Bornteach

Bornteach <a href=http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor><br><im

Ok I am in too! It is a FAR cry from what I normally read but I am willing to give it a try for the experience.

Not to off topic but my favorite book of all time is a children's book. I would love to talk before our next book if anyone would be up for a mini-book group!

Nikki- Thank you so much! This is going to be fun!

11. thunderbird1

thunderbird1 DIS Veteran

Another newbie (to this board) joining in! I'm a long time podcast listener who loves to read, and this sounds like fun.

I'm glad you're starting with this particular book. Though a fan of Michael Crichton's work, I haven't picked this one up yet because of the whole "published after death" controversy. I thought I read somewhere that he'd written the book years ago but had never published it for whatever reason, but that doesn't seem to be the case. And if it's got pirates, ships and caribbean islands, I'm in! I just put a hold on the book at my local library, so I'm looking forward to reading along with you all.

Thanks so much Nikki!

12. bcvdreamer

bcvdreamer DIS Veteran

I'd like to join too. I just picked up the book at the library. I've never done a book club before, and I've never read any of Michael Crichton's books.

I'm excited!

Thanks for hosting, Nikki!

13. Hankshouse

Hankshouse Mouseketeer

I'm a newbie to the boards but a faithful listener! Just ordered my copy from the library and can't wait to start. Thanks Nikki, this is gonna be fun!

14. *NikkiBell*

*NikkiBell* The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible Moderator

Welcome to those of you coming on board!!

I'm enjoying everyone's thoughts on the controversey surrounding the publication of Pirate Latitudes. It's definitely a hot topic. If you haven't chimed in yet, see the original post below for some background links on the web and a question up for discussion.

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=35667226&postcount=33

I began reading last night. Although I haven't gotten far in just yet (it's parent-teacher conference week - ugh lol), I found myself very interested by a few things in the first chapter. On page 5, Crichton describes several articles Governor Almont uses to get clean:

"Richards set out the articles of toilet: a fresh basin of rosewater, another of crushed myrtle berries, and a third small bowl of tooth powder with the toothcloth alongside."

I remember first using rosewater as a skin regimen after visiting the Grand Floridian Spa where they used it during a facial. It is such a beautiful treatment and really awakens the senses. I had no idea it was used in the 1600s for cleansing purposes.

Crichton later reveals that the "tooth powder" is a concoction made of "powdered rabbit's head, pomegranate peel, and peach blossom," (6). Could you imagine cleaning your teeth with something like that? I know that pomegranate juice is all the rage right now, but the peel mixed with a rabbit's head? :scared1: We also learn that Almont used a "paste of olive oil, ashes, and ground earthworms to prevent his hair from turning white" (5). I think the earthworms would push me over the edge.

I also found his make up interesting. On page 7, it says he used white lead and vinegar to color his face along with a red dye of seaweed. Again, I found these products interesting. When I was in college, I studied medieval literature and learned much about the hygiene products used back then. I don't recall hearing about animal parts or vinegar being a part of the equation.

What are your thoughts on these hygiene products? If you lived in the 1600s, would you feel comfortable using them? What was the most interesting part of Chapter 1 for you?

I'm off to read Chapter 2. Happy reading! pirate:

15. Grumpy's Old Lady

Grumpy's Old Lady Bless the seven little men who have been so kind t

I wouldn't be able to stand the smell from all those animal parts/earthworms, etc. I would have rather been a heathen/native of the island and tan from the tropical sun (even though we know that the sun is bad). But being a native, I wouldn't know any better.

On chapter 6 right now. So far, it is interesting.

Rebecca

16. mainegal

I am listening to the book while driving, so I did not catch all details and ingredients of the "toilet". Thanks for writing them up for me, Nikki. What I remember was the "tooth cloth". No toothbrushes. And today, toothbrushes are SO complicated!

My guess is that the "ashes, and ground earthworms to prevent his hair from turning white" color his hair dark, rather than keep it from turing white.

A lot of the "makeup" was to cover up scars from the pox and plague, right? I imagine only the upper folk took such pains with their appearance. The rest were just "ugly" as he later describes the women who came over on the ship.

Whenever I read historical fiction, I always imagine that I would be one of the upper or ruling class. (Never mind that there were many more poor people and odds are that's where I would have ended up!) So, I guess that yes, I would be using those potions. And I would surely die from lead pisoning!

17. Applemomma

Applemomma DIS Veteran

The earthworms got me too....that was my first EWWWWW moment. I always imagined I'd have been low-born so no access to these indulgences but for the most part I don't think that, unless you were an alchemist, you would have any idea what was in the mixture, let alone that it was killing you (lead). I think I'd have seen it as a hassle....just as I do now, hence I'm a no make up gal! :rotfl:

In truth I was a little worried about Chapter one because it wasn't catching me. That was until we got to the convict women (that may not have been chapter one though....I'm listening to it in audio)

18. lttlmc3

lttlmc3 <font color=darkorchid>You can ship it. I'll still

Okay everyone! I'm on the waiting list at the library! I can't wait to start it so I can join in! I'm just too poor to buy it!

19. mainegal

Please don't think yourself as too poor to buy the book.
    You are using your resources wisely. Not only are you not spending money on the pook, you don't have to give it storage space in our home after you have read it. (Yes, I am a librarian.)

I hope you get the book soon and we will all soon be reading and discussing in about the same place.

I am listening. Just started disc two of eight. It is nine hours long. I am really enjoying how the narrator voices the different charactres.

I am hoping there will be more about the women who came over on the ship. But I have an idea this is not really "their story".

20. PinkBudgie

PinkBudgie <font color=deeppink>Expert Disneyland Snowball Ma

I'm sure we would all be using whatever is common for the day and class that we lived in. And don't forget the leeches! These are the details I like. And yes, sometimes I do go looking up things like to find out if that is really true. I like reading about the everyday life of people in historic times.

He definately shows the less glamorous side of history. Which is what I like about this book and also the Time Line book he wrote. We often have this fairytale Disney image of the past (and I enjoy those versions too obviously!) but it wasn't all charming and we would probably be shocked if we were to actually meet someone from the 1600s even if they were considered the upper class.

21. sc9500

sc9500 Hile... Gunslinger...

The book also comes on one disc mp3
    He's the same guy who read Dean Konntz's Frankenstein trilogy - his voice is deeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Nikki - since we know this will be a movie in the future - should we nominate actors to fit the characters?