The UnDisney family's unintended grand(ish) slam trek to Alaska - July 27-Aug 3, 2015

Thanks again for reading along. I appreciate the comments and questions. I enjoyed writing this and did pretty well about staying on time, all things considered.

I really enjoyed reading your TR - loved your honesty and your writing style! DH and I are going on our first ever cruise in May to celebrate our Anniversary and decided on DCL to Alaska; you had so many great tips and things I didn't even think of! We are from Ottawa and have quite a few hours to kill before flying home once we leave the ship so I am definitely going to look into your hotel for the day idea! Thanks again :)

Ooops! I missed some comments. Getting back in to the swing of life will do that to a person. :)

Great report. Sorry to hear about little bunny. We have all lost a little bunny along the way and it is heartbreaking.

Thanks!

We're pretty OK now (though I still get a bit sad when I see photos of the original Little Bunny). We leave today on another trip (not a cruise) and our new friend is coming with us. He won't be leaving the hotel room, though.

I laughed out loud all the way through your report! Great, funny, honest account. We are taking this cruise in June 2016 so it has been invaluable. Many thanks.

Hopefully new bunny has settled in now.

Thanks! I hope you have a great time. We would go back in a heartbeat ... except the Canadian dollar keeps doing horrid things. EEK! 6 months out and I still go back and look at the photos.

I really enjoyed reading your TR - loved your honesty and your writing style! DH and I are going on our first ever cruise in May to celebrate our Anniversary and decided on DCL to Alaska; you had so many great tips and things I didn't even think of! We are from Ottawa and have quite a few hours to kill before flying home once we leave the ship so I am definitely going to look into your hotel for the day idea! Thanks again :)

You picked a great cruise! I did find the boards helpful (once I sifted through a lot of stuff...) so I like to pay it forward. The day room was fantastic. We are actually heading to Ottawa today to fly out for this year's winter vacation. I wish the Ottawa airport had an attached hotel- we stay near by, but it's just that little bit more stress to get from the hotel to the airport and back... but that is of course the very definition of "first world problems", so I'll shut up now. :)

Have a great trip.

Thanks we are pretty excited!!

Have a great trip!!! I think you picked a great time to get away as I believe there is a big storm headed our way this week :( Yes I agree but for us personally we really don't think about that as we only have a 20min drive to get to the airport....

Found your TR's the other day and have read them all over the past few days. (I have a lot of time on my hands recovering from surgery, so I have been off work for the past 4 weeks, I do go back Monday). I have enjoyed reading about your experiences. I would really like to do DCL cruise someday. I am a big fan of all things Disney but I can appreciate that it is not for everyone.

Thanks we are pretty excited!!

Have a great trip!!! I think you picked a great time to get away as I believe there is a big storm headed our way this week :( Yes I agree but for us personally we really don't think about that as we only have a 20min drive to get to the airport....

We were really trying hard not to whine, as it was brutally cold in Ottawa when we got to our hotel on the way out- but you thawed things up nicely for us upon our return. :)

Found your TR's the other day and have read them all over the past few days. (I have a lot of time on my hands recovering from surgery, so I have been off work for the past 4 weeks, I do go back Monday). I have enjoyed reading about your experiences. I would really like to do DCL cruise someday. I am a big fan of all things Disney but I can appreciate that it is not for everyone.

I'm glad you enjoyed reading, and I hope the return to work was reasonably OK. Thanks!

I just binge-read all of your TRs. I absolutely love your son. He's so cute and the things he says and does are just so adorable. I love your style of writing..it's so like your style of traveling--- calm and not rushed. I look forward to many more non-Disney TRs from you.

Thanks for not posting pictures of every meal. When you read enough TRs you know exactly what the food looks like in Palo/Remy/MDR.

My special needs daughter and I will be cruising on the Magic out of NY in October. I'm going to try and make it non-frantic!

I just binge-read all of your TRs. I absolutely love your son. He's so cute and the things he says and does are just so adorable. I love your style of writing..it's so like your style of traveling--- calm and not rushed. I look forward to many more non-Disney TRs from you.

Thanks for not posting pictures of every meal. When you read enough TRs you know exactly what the food looks like in Palo/Remy/MDR.

My special needs daughter and I will be cruising on the Magic out of NY in October. I'm going to try and make it non-frantic!

Thanks so much! He's still a fun kid, at "I am a big boy" who is now 8. And yes, we work hard to not be running around frantically on vacation. Laid-back is our goal.

I wish you a great time on the Magic. I hope you both love it, and get to relax. It's what we like best on DCL, for sure.

Thanks so much! He's still a fun kid, at "I am a big boy" who is now 8. And yes, we work hard to not be running around frantically on vacation. Laid-back is our goal.

I wish you a great time on the Magic. I hope you both love it, and get to relax. It's what we like best on DCL, for sure.
::pointing down::

Is this SWDAS a new decision? I don't remember you mentioning it. If so, I really hope it will result in a TR to keep your fans happy. You're like a rock star around here. :rockband:

::pointing down::

Is this SWDAS a new decision? I don't remember you mentioning it. If so, I really hope it will result in a TR to keep your fans happy. You're like a rock star around here. :rockband:

Ahhhh- busted! :) I supposed with my ticker it wasn't exactly subtle. Hm. Must work on top-secret spy skills. :guilty:

So, yes, we are going again. Number 5. Which, at the end of the trip, will make the UnDisney family Gold. Which is highly amusing.

I will definitely do a trip report, but for now, I'll just admit that our last resort vacation, while lovely, was lacking a wee bit, and we needed to make a decision about our on-board booking. With the Canadian dollar still causing us to break out in sweats regularly when we contemplate travel, Europe was OUT, but between a whole lotta well-spent Aeroplan points, planetary alignment, and, if we're being honest, this Star Wars at Sea business.... we booked again. :rolleyes1 The boy has been Star Wars obsessed since receiving his first "big boy" Star Wars Lego set at age 5 (LONG before that most recent movie), so it just seemed to be the right thing to do.

However, for now, we're (mostly) in denial mode, and getting ready for The Summer of Day Camp (Dude's happy place), so we just pretend that we don't have cruise #5 booked. In the same cabin as we've stayed in before. Because that, my friends, would be more than a little sad. :duck:

Thanks again! I'll be back to report, in my usual "Pay It Forward" approach. This guy --> :yoda: would approve, I think!

I have just spent the past few night binge reading your TRs. I went in order and it was so nice to see the experience grow. Loved them. Must comment however that I am disappointed in your lack of Tim Horton references and your constant Starbucks references. It really makes you seem un-Canadian. I felt your pain with the Pearson and Air Canada tales. We live 1 hour north of Toronto and I drive right past to get to my Buffalo airport as often as possible. The lines at Pearson have to be the worst of any airport. I am heading on my first DCL is New Years. We drink from the Disney kool-aid and love it. WDW is my kids and mine most favorite place to be. The cost of DCL has turned me off for a long time but I bit the bullet and booked finally.

Thank you for 3 amazing trip reports, one sneaky one, and the PTR that I stumbled upon to find them. You have sold me on Alaska for sure!

I have just spent the past few night binge reading your TRs. I went in order and it was so nice to see the experience grow. Loved them. Must comment however that I am disappointed in your lack of Tim Horton references and your constant Starbucks references. It really makes you seem un-Canadian. I felt your pain with the Pearson and Air Canada tales. We live 1 hour north of Toronto and I drive right past to get to my Buffalo airport as often as possible. The lines at Pearson have to be the worst of any airport. I am heading on my first DCL is New Years. We drink from the Disney kool-aid and love it. WDW is my kids and mine most favorite place to be. The cost of DCL has turned me off for a long time but I bit the bullet and booked finally.

Thank you for 3 amazing trip reports, one sneaky one, and the PTR that I stumbled upon to find them. You have sold me on Alaska for sure!

I'm glad you enjoyed them! You're right- we do not like Tim's - but for good reason- too many bad associations with hospital Tim's in very sad situations for our family. It's been 10 years, but we still avoid them unless we absolutely can't. To be honest, we don't go to Starbucks much anymore either - there are way more local coffee places where we live now, and we prefer them all. :)

Alaska is great. Totally worth the cost for us. I have delusions the dollar will improve and we will go back some day!

@Conorama well I just saw this pop to the top (as you know I read every word when you posted it last year and devoured it!) and I see by your ticker you - the UnDisney Family - are doing the ultimate Disney cruise on a Star Wars cruise at Sea!! :) We are doing that too - judging by your ticker looks like we will be about 2 weeks ahead of you ;-) Oh and I might love Disney but I'm not a Star Wars fan teehee:rolleyes1

@Conorama well I just saw this pop to the top (as you know I read every word when you posted it last year and devoured it!) and I see by your ticker you - the UnDisney Family - are doing the ultimate Disney cruise on a Star Wars cruise at Sea!! :) We are doing that too - judging by your ticker looks like we will be about 2 weeks ahead of you ;-) Oh and I might love Disney but I'm not a Star Wars fan teehee:rolleyes1

Yes ... busted! :rolleyes1

Basically- we had booked a European cruise ("just in case..." ) while on the Alaskan cruise, but, well, as you know ... the Canadian dollar. We had to decide what to do with that booking, and with planetary alignment helping us out we got flights & hotels on points, and they announced SWDAS on the Eastern route (which we preferred), so, well, we bit the proverbial bullet.

I am not a big Star Wars fan, but I'm in the distinct minority in the house on that front, so there is general brain explosion excitement going on around here about the trip.

There is also general denial about the fact we'll have our Gold status when we get off the Fantasy. :scared: We've been told that we will not be able to avoid trying out cruising again once we get our Gold. We shall see ... there is still Europe on the bucket list, and we can hope that dollars start to behave themselves...

You are definitely 2 weeks ahead of us- too bad! You'll just have to let us know how it goes. I see you're off to Disneyland shortly - enjoy!

Just FYI, I shared your trip report with my family and everyone was so impressed with your writing and story telling.

Also, we are going in July!

I enjoyed reading your report last year. We loved our Alaskan trip this August! You'll be happy (or jealous) to hear that Anna's chocolate chase actually ended with real actual chocolate bars this year! They also held the Frozen Deck party as a sail away party at 7:30PM--so it was fun to be up on deck partying as the boat left port!
copyDSCN6069.JPG

Just FYI, I shared your trip report with my family and everyone was so impressed with your writing and story telling.

Also, we are going in July!

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm jealous you're going in July. We often talk about our Alaskan cruise - definitely a highlight for us. Can't quite believe that it was a year ago.

I enjoyed reading your report last year. We loved our Alaskan trip this August! You'll be happy (or jealous) to hear that Anna's chocolate chase actually ended with real actual chocolate bars this year! They also held the Frozen Deck party as a sail away party at 7:30PM--so it was fun to be up on deck partying as the boat left port!
View attachment 192954

Oh- what a relief about the chocolate! :) I wonder if they have the scavenger hunt on other cruises? Hmmmm. It was such a disappointment after all that work. So many trolls to be confused about. And I still don't know what was up with the cousin clue.

Well, we avoid both sail away parties and anything to do with Frozen like the plague, so kudos to Disney for making that easier for us! (Cue the happy dance: :dogdance:)

Thanks again for reading. I am glad you had a great time- it was a really special cruise for us for sure.

I've enjoyed reading your trip reports. Have you considered writing a novel-something like a humorous mystery. There could always be travel involved or not.

I hope your next cruise is great. I'll look forward to that trip report. I'll be sailing a Star Wars cruise on the Fantasy a month or two later - my first Disney cruise.

I've enjoyed reading your trip reports. Have you considered writing a novel-something like a humorous mystery. There could always be travel involved or not.

I hope your next cruise is great. I'll look forward to that trip report. I'll be sailing a Star Wars cruise on the Fantasy a month or two later - my first Disney cruise.

Thank you! I am flattered. :o However, I would probably have to give up something like sleeping or eating to write a novel, and, well, no one wants me like that. :)

I hope you have a great time on your first cruise!

Oh, I loved reading this. I feel like our family is much like yours, so you've given me much to think about (avoiding Frozen at all costs, requesting a private table - who do I call for that?, considering non-DCL excursions, ...). Thank you!!

PS, you speak of running out for coffee in the morning. Will room service not deliver it for free? Or is it just not as good?

Oh, I loved reading this. I feel like our family is much like yours, so you've given me much to think about (avoiding Frozen at all costs, requesting a private table - who do I call for that?, considering non-DCL excursions, ...). Thank you!!

PS, you speak of running out for coffee in the morning. Will room service not deliver it for free? Or is it just not as good?

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

Regarding the private table- you can call DCL and request it (no guarantee, of course) and then you can check when you board (it's in the Navigator where to go) to check and/or beg/offer up sacrifices to see if the request was granted.

As for the coffee... well, I think there is a coffee hierarchy... lowest of the low is what is served at the self-serve stations. UGH. You get a bit of a step up in the dining rooms and at room service. That's it for your free/included coffee. However, if you are a coffee afficionado/snob (us), the best is in the Cove Café, and we happily pay for it. The other issue for us in room service is that if you want to pre-order, you have to guess when you will be awake, and risk either being up without coffee (ick) or having them wake you up when you are actually asleep (also ick). Neither option is attractive to us on days we do not have to be up at a particular time. However, if you do not mind a wait - yes, you could order when you wake up.

Oh, and most people tip room service- it is still cheaper than the Cove Café, but probably not technically free. :)

Thanks again for reading. This was a great trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter