The truth about mouse ears.

Mouse Ears

• Total voters
Sometime, I think you just have to come across the right ears. I never wore ears until one trip when I came across a hat I just absolutely loved. They were more sophisticated looking to me than the average ears, and I just really liked the vintage classy style. However, as much as I love them, I still don't wear them all the time, but it's fun to wear them every now and then, especially for pictures or special events.

I also have a pair of ears I bought just as a souvenir that I really like. I've never had any intention of wearing them. I know I never will; they are too much for me as a hat, but I love them as a souvenir. They have all the main Disney characters across the front (not just Mickey and friends, but Simba, Ariel, Aladdin, etc) and the ears have battery operated fireworks that light up and explode. They are so cute!

I have a bit of nostalgia over my first pair of mouse ears from the 70's with my name embroidered on them. (I only have photos of these ... my parents didn't save them.) In turn, I have always intended to get my kids their own pair, but they never seemed into it, and it seemed like it would be a waste of money. I did buy a sparkly Minnie-ear headband on our last trip, to share with my daughter. But I think it got a few hours of wear, if that.

yes and no some do and some don't I have the pink cat from alice and wonderland hat I love it I don't like pink very munch but wear my hat for a few hours plus my family can see me easier because it is not black mickey or minnie.

I love my Minnie ears headband. It's great for taming my crazy curls, and it puts me in the Disney spirit. I feel like a kid again when I wear the ears, and I figure that's not a bad thing every once in awhile.

We have a few headbands by they hurt after awhile. My dd8 bought the hat this year and wore it several day, and since she's been home. It will come back on our next trip, but the headbands might be forgotten.

I have 5 pairs of Minnie headband ears, some from etsy and some from the parks, and I will be getting more for our Christmas trip. I love them!

My youngest wore his Chip and Dale hat-style ears every day on his first trip, but he hasn't worn ears on any other trip. My oldest has Oswald ears, but he doesn't like keeping track of them in the parks.[/QUOTE

do you have certain stores you recommend on Etsy? Thanks!

Over the years I've bought & worn many pairs of Disney made ears, they just add to the fun!

Lately I've been purchasing custom ears made by very creative individuals on Etsy. Some are simple, in themes not available in the parks. Others more elaborate & detailed.

My favorite by far is EarBowtique on etsy, but she sells out really fast during shop openings, so you have to keep track on Instagram. I have four pair of ears from her, and she's my first choice. BibbidiBobbidiBrooke is also really popular and is another place that sells out within minutes of an opening. I have one pair of her ears, but I can't wear them to the parks because they're too top heavy. It makes me sad because they're printed with the Haunted Mansion portraits from the stretching room, and I love them, but I can't wear them. I know a lot of other people who love her ears, though, so I guess I just got a bad pair. It makes me too nervous to buy any more from her, but her ears are so popular that mine really just must have been a fluke.
I follow a lot of other ear/bow shops on instagram, that's been the best resource for me.

In my signature, there's a link to a pre-trip report I did before our July 2015 trip called "We'll need a suitcase just for your ears", and you can see the ones I have :-) I have two more pair since that report, a character themed cupcake pair and Haunted Mansion wallpaper.

I need to get some holiday themed ones for our upcoming Christmas trip!

BeEarGuest, Thisdysfunctionallove, and MinnieandCompany (my #1!!) are three of my fav's.

Also for something a bit different - HatandMouse makes the cutest mini hats and Disney inspired facinator's!

All can be found on Instagram for pic's of their handy work. :)

While I'm recommending... for your magicbands - MyFantasyBands on Instagram - Erin has the cutest band decals, original designs (she's a talented graphic artist;))

Last edited:
I wear the headband style ears!! My kids usually opt for Disney themed baseball hats. I noticed in DL way more ppl wear ears than in WDW, not sure why. I have the same pair and I just pack them for each trip.

The eyelashes on mine are all sorts of a mess. I still have it 22 years later and found it prior to my most recent trip. Didn't wear it though.
I've heard you can steam them while pressing them against something curved, but mine is long gone. I remember it being so front heavy.

There are many disney hats (e.g., baseball style hats, etc) that are not mickey ears. So many people wear some sort of disney head apparel who would never do it anywhere else.

Our family has been 11 times and we see people wearing the ears in the parks. However, our family buys one pair of ears on our trip to commemorate the occasion that we are celebrating. For example, we went one year to experience a Star Wars Weekend. We bought a R2D2 themed ears to go with the occasion.

I've always wanted to buy ears for me and my girls but I worried about them giving us a headache after a while. Maybe this Christmas trip we will splurge and buy Christmas ears! :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter