The Trip That's Happening a Year Early - A Marathon Weekend 2017 PTR Update:12/22 - Day Seven Plans

I love your new hair! It's so fun and I love the different colors!!

Thanks!

That picture of you and Luke is beautiful! So perfect!

I love it too!

Your hometown looks amazing. So peaceful and beautiful!

It's such a small, sleepy little town! I now live in a city which had over a million people (if you count the surrounding areas) and my hometown has under 1000 people - it's nice to get a little escape from the hustle and bustle of a city once a year.

Yay for saving money on the tickets - that's always awesome! It's nice that they released a promotion for Canadians ... they really should do that more often! (I know they have them a lot for the UK, but I'm always surprised they don't have promotions more often for Canada)

We were both excited! A simple phone call saved us like $250, which is just extra spending money! More souvenirs for me! Haha.

AWESOME that you saved money! I wish they would have deals like that for the US! Your mini trip report is so cute and you are so right, Canada is a beautiful place! When you talk about flying from place to place, I had never really thought about just how big Canada is!!!

I have a few more mini trip reports to post of other Canadian trips I've taken this year :)

Running My First 5k

As I've mentioned earlier, I've signed up for my first ever 5km race while we're in Disney! I had originally planned on starting my training a few months ago, but due to complications from my Crohn's disease I had to delay these plans. I've now had two doses of the new medication I've been prescribed for my Crohn's, and it has already improved how I feel! I feel so much better - more energy, no pain, etc, so I decided it was finally time to start. I've never been an athletic person, I've always preferred to just be a spectator so I was a little nervous about how I would do. I didn't want to join a Learn to Run program at a Running Room as none of them are really close to our house, and I'm not a fan of needing to go running at 8am on a weekend. Luckily, Luke has gone through this program a few times, so he was more than happy to train me!

Last year before we went to Disney, Luke took me to the Running Room and made me get properly fit for sneakers. If you read my trip report from January 2016, you'll notice my bright sneakers - I bought two pair of Asics GT-1000's - one pair hot pink and one pair bright blue. A few weeks ago we were at Sportchek and I found a pair of the exact model of Asics I wear on sale and in a different colour than I already owned, so I scooped those up and now have three pairs to rotate through!

Yesterday I decided I wanted to start, so I put on a pair of Lulu Lemon pants, my bright blue Asics and a Nike shirt (I love athletic clothes, I always seem to buy something new when I'm supposed to be there buying for Luke...) and the two of us set out. Luke was an excellent coach, and started me nice and easy - we ran for one minute and then walked for 2 minutes and did 7 sets of that (so 21 minutes in total). By the time we were finished our 21 minutes we had went over 2km, so I was very pleased with that for my first attempt!

Luke has told me that we have enough time that with three short runs each week, I should be up to running for 10 minutes and only walking for one minute by the time we go to Disney. My legs were a little sore today, but we're planning on going out again tomorrow for another 7 sets of run1walk2 so hopefully it'll go just as well!

I'm not aiming to be fast at the 5km in January, I just want to have time to stop and meet the characters without fear of being swept! I'll keep you all posted on my progress :)

Last edited:
I am in the same spot as you!! Earlier this year I was so into running, running over 3 miles every 3x per week and then I got lazy. I signed up for the 10K in February in WDW and did my first 5K this past weekend in 4 months and I was surprised how well I did considering, it was also through cornfields so I wasn't expecting to PR or anything! I am nervous that Feb will come too soon so I'm going start training on Oct 1! Good luck! The couch to 5 K program is really great as well, it is a free Iphone app, not sure if they have that in Canada or not!

I love the new shoes! Having a variety of colors is always important. And I'm glad the training is starting off well!

Yay for double digits!!!

I love your new sneakers! Wishing you luck on your training :) I would love to do one of the RunDisney events because they look like fun and some of them offer some rare character meets, but.......I'm never going to run. Not at all. I'd walk casually with a drink in my hand, but that's about it!

I am in the same spot as you!! Earlier this year I was so into running, running over 3 miles every 3x per week and then I got lazy. I signed up for the 10K in February in WDW and did my first 5K this past weekend in 4 months and I was surprised how well I did considering, it was also through cornfields so I wasn't expecting to PR or anything! I am nervous that Feb will come too soon so I'm going start training on Oct 1! Good luck! The couch to 5 K program is really great as well, it is a free Iphone app, not sure if they have that in Canada or not!

I had to google how far 3 miles is :rolleyes1. Good for you for doing almost 5km 3x a week! I did end up running 3 times this week, but only did about 2km each trip. I think what I'm doing is basically the couch to 5k program, all I've done this week is run for 1 minute and then walk for 2 and did that 7-8 times. I'll increase my intervals over time - I don't ask questions, I just follow the directions of my boyfriend who has run half marathons before haha.

I love the new shoes! Having a variety of colors is always important. And I'm glad the training is starting off well!

Yay for double digits!!!

Thanks! I guess I went a little too fast on my first training run, but I've learned to slow down a bit and haven't had any pain since!

Found your PTR and I'm following along!

Welcome! I've been enjoying your PTR/TR/DR so I'm glad you're here!

I love your new sneakers! Wishing you luck on your training :) I would love to do one of the RunDisney events because they look like fun and some of them offer some rare character meets, but.......I'm never going to run. Not at all. I'd walk casually with a drink in my hand, but that's about it!

I didn't think I would ever run. I don't really like physical activity at all, but it's actually not too bad so far! I've gone out three times this week, and I'm not hating it yet...

Changes! And other Updates

I thought we had our ADR's set, and I was being so good about not touching them or agonizing over them too much. But then Luke emailed me today at work asking what my thoughts were on La Hacienda de San Angel, because he had made a reservation for us :laughing:. On the Sunday of the marathon, our plan was to be at Epcot and we currently had reservations for Le Cellier at 12:45 and Via Napoli at 6:35... and now we have a reservation at 8:30 for drinks and dessert in the Mexico pavilion. Basically our entire day is going to be spent sitting in restaurants eating - which isn't the worst idea since it will be only a day after Luke runs a half marathon. Also - Luke was inspired to make this reservation so we can watch Illuminations without fighting through crowds to find a spot to stand.

The only other change I've made to our ADR's is to add another Saana time slot on our second Animal Kingdom day. Originally, the park was scheduled to close at 5pm that day, so I had made a 5pm reservation. But then they changed the closing time to 7pm, so I now own an 8pm reservation. I haven't canceled our 5pm one yet, I'm still waiting to see if they announce times for Rivers of Light.

Luke and I have been extremely good about putting money into our US accounts, and we are almost to our goal already (with 96 days left to go!) So the goal has been revised, and we are thinking there is a very good chance we won't have to charge a single thing to our credit cards the entire time we're there! This makes me very happy!

We've been talking about the souvenirs we'd like to get for awhile now. Luke knows he wants to try and get the full set of park mugs from Starbucks. I want to get the resort-specific Christmas ornaments for the two hotels we're staying at. The other day Luke decided we need new oven mitts, and that we should add it to our list for Disney (who was I to argue with that! Let's ignore the fact I had already bought him a new set, and they were sitting in the drawer with the tag still attached...). Earlier this year, we realized we were really low on drinking glasses since we* kept breaking them (*we as in the cats/dogs knocking them off the counter/coffee table/etc) so we bought a super cheap set from Walmart with the plan of "we'll buy nice drinking glasses from Disney!" I think we might actually have a problem...

Since this was another word heavy post, here's a picture from the Vancouver Aquarium and my excitement over seeing sea otters...

Spend All the Money!

So yesterday I was checking my email, and I noticed one from WestJet (my preferred Canadian airline) about a current sale. I'm always intrigued by these emails, and usually end up pricing something out just to see. Well, this is actually a REALLY good sale, and the price for a flight from Edmonton to Santa Ana is one of the cheapest I've seen in awhile... I sent Luke the information since the dates I had priced out fell on his birthday at the end of January and he is very interested now as well. He loved the idea of going to Disneyland for his birthday! (who wouldn't!?). He sent his sister a text to see if her and her husband would be interested in joining us, and she responded with "save your money, you guys need a new car" - which is true. We haven't actually booked anything, and I know the responsible thing to do is skip a California trip next year and buy a new vehicle but I really just want to book another Disney trip! I have no idea what to do, and the sale on flights is only good for another day, so we need to book it by tomorrow if we want to go. Our two previous Disneyland trips have been short notice and not Disney-centered, so we both really want to plan properly for once and see if we can cover even more with a good touring plan. So much to think about!

My mom and I did a mother-daughter trip earlier this summer where we drove over 13 hours to Vancouver to see Adele in concert. I had bought the concert tickets for mom for Christmas last year, and then I also paid for the hotel (birthday and mother's day presents - hotels in Vancouver are expensive!). We took mom's Jeep and she paid for all the gas. It was a really great trip, and I was talking to her a few weeks ago about doing another trip together in 2017. I originally suggested Vegas to go see The Backstreet Boys (I was a huge fan as a pre-teen, and I made my mom listen to them so often it turned her into a fan as well haha. Also, the last time I went to Vegas was with my dad, so I think it would be fun to have gone there with each of my parents'). But then this WestJet sale came out, so today I did all the math and showed her how much a Vegas trip would cost versus a Disneyland trip (flying into LAX since you can get direct flights from Edmonton). The Vegas trip I planned out was 5 nights at a much nicer hotel, but the price I had only included flights and hotel. The DL trip I priced out was 6 nights at a not-as-nice hotel (but walking distance to the parks), but my price I gave her included flights, hotel, shuttle to and from the airport and 4 day park hopper tickets for Disney (thank you Canadian discount which is also valid there!). The DL trip only cost a couple hundred dollars more, but once you pay for 2-3 shows in Vegas it would easily even out, leaving only money for food/souvenirs at each place. I will be paying for a portion of mom's trip (like her flight or the full hotel cost or something) no matter which destination we choose, as I like doing things like that for Christmas presents.

I don't think I could do two DL trips next year. If mom decides on the Vegas trip, it would be pushed out to March or April (maybe later to give us more time to save), whereas the California trip with her would be in February (if Luke and I go, it would be in January). I need to talk to Luke and my mom tonight and see what they think/want to do. I'm really hoping I can pull off at least trip to Anaheim in 2017! Otherwise, Luke and I have agreed that we'll aim for a trip there in November 2018 for Avengers race weekend - but I don't want to wait that long before being back in Disneyland!

29 days until FP+ selections WDW
52 days until ADR window for DL
89 days until WDW
112 days until DL

And it's done. Luke and I booked our flights today, we are going back to Disneyland from January 26-31, 2017. We'll be leaving exactly 2 weeks after we get back from Florida! All 6 American Disney parks in the same calendar month! I'm so excited for this! Now to book a hotel and purchase our Disney tickets - thankfully the Canadian discount is also being offered in California as well, so that will be a little bit of savings.

I guess this PTR will now be for TWO trips!

I love that you booked a Disneyland trip because of the flights being on sale!! That's so exciting!!

FastPass Day is Approaching!

Luke and I are both planners, but we don't like having every single moment planned out. That said, I think we both prefer WDW's FP system to DL's FP. It's so much more relaxing to be able to pick out 3 rides ahead of time and know you're going to have a short wait, whereas at Disneyland you're running all over the place trying to grab your paper Fastpasses. It's so much more stressful!

We are now only 19 days away from being able to select our first batch of FP (we're doing the split stay, so we'll have to plan for two early mornings to set up our fastpasses, similar to our ADR days a few months ago). We haven't quite nailed down exact times we want or anything, but we've known for months which parks we will be in on which days, and we did not buy park hoppers, so it should be fairly easy to make our list.​

Animal Kingdom - January 6th and January 10th​
  • We know this will more than likely be a Fastpass we grab both days, since it is probably my favourite ride in all of Disney:

• On the 10th, we are doing the Wild Africa Trek which will take ~3 hours. Because of the extensive tour of the safari we will be doing on foot, more than likely we will grab a FP+ for the safari for only January 6th.
  • We both LOVED FOTLK, even though we were at the very back of a section and didn't have the greatest views. I really want to grab a FP+ for this and hope for better sight lines. This would more than likely be a pick on the 10th (it'll be nice to sit down before/after a walking tour).
  • We don't LOVE this ride, but we don't hate it either (we just prefer the Indiana Jones ride in California much more, and it uses the same type of ride vehicle). I think we'll probably just grab this for one of the days:

• This leaves only one more FP+ spot, and it's between Primeval Whirl (which we went on with a 20 minute wait), It's Tough To Be A Bug (which we walked on to), Finding Nemo the Musical, Disney Pals at Adventurer's Outpost and Kali River Rapids. Kali River was closed last year for refurbishment when we were there, but we've been on the California equivalent (Grizzly River Run) and we were SOAKED. If the weather in Florida is the same as it was earlier this year when we went, I'd be up for skipping that (I don't need to get sick from being wet and cold). I'd say our decision is between Disney Pals and Nemo.
Recap:
January 6th, 2017
Expedition Everest
Kilimanjaro Safari
Dinosaur
January 10th, 2017
Expedition Everest
Festival of the Lion King
Disney Pals/Nemo

Hollywood Studios - January 9th​
  • First of all, I hate the tiered system of FP's! It makes it so much more difficult, especially when we are only going to be in the park for one day.
  • Our two selections for tier 2 are fairly easy to make - Star Tours will definitely be one! We went on this 4 times last January, and we're not even Star Wars fans...
  • Our second choice from Tier 2 will also be easy, since we both love this ride:

• Tier 1 is where it gets tricky... I was terrified, but ended up loving Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. Toy Story Mania is always fun. We didn't get a chance to go on The Great Movie Ride, since the posted wait times were always ridiculously long, and it's now one rumoured to be on the chopping block for disappearing soon. We'll need to spend the next 19 days discussing this one.
I'll get to the remaining two parks in my next post :)

Following along! My hubby and I will be there 1/8-1/14..First ever January trip! So excited!!

How fun! What resort are you staying at?

The Beach Club..our favorite! We honeymooned there last fall and I have been back and forth on a few of the other deluxe resorts but just can't seem to bring myself to book anywhere else! Maybe next time LOL!

Fastpass Day is Approaching, Part Two (and other Updates)

I wanted to get all of this into one post, but yesterday as I was typing it up I didn't realize how late it was, and I had to get ready to go to a hockey game (which was a huge stinker, the Sabres beat the Oilers 6-2). So, let's finish off those other two parks!​

Epcot - January 4th and January 8th​

• Gah! Another tiered park! Sigh, at least we do have 2 days planned in this park, so that gives us 6 FP+ in total...​
  • Let's start with tier 2 options: Disney and Pixar Short Film Festival (walked into it), Journey Into Imagination with Figment, Living with the Land (walked onto it), Meet Disney Pals at the Epcot Character Spot, Mission: SPACE (didn't like), Spaceship Earth, The Seas with Nemo and Friends (did it last trip), Turtle Talk with Crush (not necessary, more for kids - we did it in California on our first trip). We are allowed to pick 2 of these for each day, but I don't know if we'll even need that. I know I want one for Disney Pals at the Character Spot, I really want to try and do more meet-and-greets on this trip. We'll probably grab one for Figment, since it's something we skipped on our last trip (even though the wait times never seem very long). I guess we'll grab one for Spaceship Earth just because we can, even though I don't think you need it. I want to check out the aquariums again, but I don't know if we need to go on the Nemo ride...​
  • Now for tier 1. We can only choose one of these for each day: Frozen Ever After, IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth, Soarin' Around the World, Test Track.​
  • We've been on Test Track before, and we really like it (although we do prefer Radiator Springs Racers at Disney's California Adventure Park). It will more than likely end up being one of our choices.​

• Our other selection for tier 1 will probably be Frozen ever After. It wasn't even open the last time we were there, so it is a must do on our list, and the wait times still seem to be fairly long.​
  • As for the other two options - we've seen Illuminations, it might be something we try and get a 4th FP+ for or something. We've been to Disney Parks 3 times now (twice in Anaheim, once in Orlando) and still haven't made it onto Soarin' - it was closed on two of our trips and had insane wait times on the other. Our plan is to rope drop this one, and we're in agreement that we will wait up to 45 minutes so we can finally go on this.​
Magic Kingdom - January 5th and January 11th
  • This park doesn't have the tiered system, but there are so many options! Two days = 6 different FP+'s​
  • One has to be for Big Thunder Mountain! It's one of my top two rides in Magic Kingdom!​
  • Keeping with the mountain range - I'd guess we will also pick up a fastpass for Space Mountain and Splash Mountain​
  • My other favourite ride (and one of Luke's favourite) will also need to be a priority so we'll probably grab one for Haunted Mansion.
  • We plan on riding the Mine Train early on the 11th, since we have a pre-park open breakfast at BOG, but we'll still probably grab a FP+ for it on the 5th.
  • Our 6th one could go to any number of things - perhaps a character meet and greet? Ariel, Cinderella, Mickey, Tinkerbell... Or maybe POTC or Peter Pan? I have no idea!
It's almost getting close enough that I can start outlining our plans for each day! I won't start that until all of our Fastpasses are squared away and set, but I'm excited to get to that point of the planning!

I've been really trying not to shop too much lately, and instead have more money to actually go on these vacations. However, I have picked up a few new dresses for this trip (Disney themed of course!). I will post pictures of them at some point. I've also placed a few orders from TeePublic as well - I could spend so much money on that site! Last year, Luke was a little skeptical of wearing Disney clothes - this year he has fully embraced it and picked out some shirts for himself from TeePublic. We've already received our first order of 3 shirts for him, and are currently waiting on an order which has 3 tshirts for me, and another 2 for him. Once we receive that second order, I'll post pictures :)

Last edited:
I love Disney shopping! Can't wait to see the dresses.

SE is a good choice for Epcot. We got in slower times and maybe the line isn't actually long but it always looks it.

Love this!!!! I am so glad you booked the DL trip!!! We are going to DL in November and WDW in February! So much Disney, although its really never enough Disney!

You have a very good plan for your FP's! I agree you should get one for Adventure's Outpost at AK; wait times can get high so if you don't want KRR definitely do that. I do like Kali, but I've heard from a few people that the equivalent in DL is much better so you may be disappointed (and as you said, cold!) if you do ride it.
Also in HS, TSMM has had considerably lower waits since the 3rd track opened so maybe use your tier 1 on RnRC or GMR? You definitely need to ride GMR this trip! I'm hoping it doesn't go away since it's one of only 2 original attractions left in HS (and Chris love it) but I'm afraid its days are numbered :(
I need to check out TeePublic, I've heard of it but I've never looked at it. Not that I really need any more Disney clothes but that doesn't mean I can't look, right lol?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter