The THYROID Thread

Fan2CSkr said:
I'm glad you are finally starting to get some answers! The beta blocker is really just to help with symptoms it will not have any effect on lessening the hyperness of the thyroid but it WILL make you feel better and lessen palpitations. I was told to lessen my caffeine intake as well so now I just have my one cup in the AM and sometimes one in the afternoon. I dont drink any soda. You will soon learn your triggers. Mine are red wine, certain prepared chinese food dishes and a select few other prepared food items. Eating as wholesome as possible helps. Iodine (shellfish is a no no too) intake should be watched closely. You want to avoid it. Honestly I did not cut my one cup of coffee out a day but I suppose if I HAD to I would have. It is not an interaction of the coffee with the beta blocker but rather just that caffeine is a stimulant and being hyper is stimulant enough.

When will you see the endo or your primary doc? Has anyone told you how hyper you are? Since you mentioned feeling better I am guessing you arent too bad and thats a great thing. Just keep in mind this can and usually does fluctuate. You should be starting an anti thyroid medication ASAP this would be either Tapazole (Methimazole) or PTU (Propylthiouracil) since it takes some time to adjust in the blood and for you to feel the effects. Unless they may feel youarent so bad and this could be fleeting? Sometimes people can become hyper for a number of reasons and not all permanent. A virus can trigger this response and dissapate as quickly as it appeared to begin with.

Has anyone mentioned Graves? This is one of the major cause of hyperthyroidism. It takes some time to get all the answers and it can be a long journey dealing with the thyroid. Stay persistent and keep a journal of your symptoms this helps you and your docs greatly!

OK..stay well and keep us posted please and remember anything you have a question about we are here for you. :hug:

O man. No lobster, shrimp, or crab legs???? Nobody has said anything yet.

I probably won't see my primary doc until after the results of the scan are in. I do get the feeling that they either they caught this very early or the serum labs didn't come back as off as they thought they were. I would think if the serum labs came back indicating Graves or anything else, they would have told me, but then again I am dealing with military health care. Unless I get very lucky and get in quickly with the thyroid scan, I might not get any real answers to the thryoid question until after the holidays. I hope not, but I am preparing myself for the possibility.

It would be great if this was just temporary. With the military health care system, the wheels move pretty slowly. I am just glad that I seem to be seeing some really on the ball docs. The cardiology group I went to was very impressive.

Thanks so much, Fan2CSkr, I really appreciate being able to come here and post and know that others have been through all this and can anwer some of my questions.

Ok, I had the thryoid ultrasound on Tuesday. I called today to get the results and was told that it showed thyroiditis-swelling. No mention of any tumors, or nodules, so that is great news.

I am now scheduled for another scan with uptake on the 11th to find out why I am swollen. Hopefully, this is one of those types that just resolves itself over time. I am still taking the beta blockers, and with those I am feeling much better. I have not lost any more weight, (or gained), and I seem to have much more energy.

That is about it for now, but I thought I would share my good news on the scan. Have a great weekend everyone!

Hi, CHristine, just found this board! My SIL is going for a whole body scan,but first has to stop her thyroid meds for 10 days. She had thyroid cancer about 3 years ago and now has a growth in the area again. Her current dr. is worried because he thinks her orig dr should have done radiation...he did not.

Hi everyone-
I am going on Monday for an ultrasound to see if there are any problems with scar tissue/tumors in my neck (thyroid was removed completely when iw as 15)..so hopefully i have some good news!

Well i have my results from the ultrasound. There are no more tumors and/or scar tissue left in my neck! im happy about that, but then again, a little upset..
Ive been having alot of neck pain and if there was a cause of it, it would get fixed..now it seems that i will just have this pain my whole life

I'm happy to hear the first part. It's so hard when you have unexplained pain. Hugs and prayers that you find relief.

Well i have my results from the ultrasound. There are no more tumors and/or scar tissue left in my neck! im happy about that, but then again, a little upset..
Ive been having alot of neck pain and if there was a cause of it, it would get fixed..now it seems that i will just have this pain my whole life

Sorry to hear this. If you never had PT after your surgery, your muscles may still be trying to heal from the surgery. Do you know if it is the muscles in your neck?

Maybe some physical therapy could help that would teach you how to do stretches that will help the muscles in pain. I was having pain in my jaw/left side of face, and now after a few months of therapy to the muscles in my neck, it is starting to go away.

Another suggestion is to seek out an Osteopath who does Osteopathic Manipulation and/or Cranial/Sacral Therapy. I have had that with the PT and it's amazing! It's very gentle, I can't believe what it has done for my neck.

I had PT and OMT in combination, and am now also getting medical massage therapy.

I was Diagonosed with Hyper about 3 years ago.
I had been having some problems for about 2 years prior to being diagnosed.
Heart palpitations and my legs and boby shaking or tremors. i had left it for quite some time, as my DM had been diagnosed in her forties [which i was at the time] with Parkinsons ,so kept putting of going to the doc. When i eventually went he said he had a good idea what it was , and he mentioned thyroid, but needed blood tests to be sure, asked a few questions , and my DM had hyper when she was younger, so he told me it can be genetic.
Blood results came back positive, i was on Beta Blockers and other medication for about 2 years, but had problems with the meds.
They eventually gave me Radio Iodine treatment, i am now Hypo and on Thyroxine to balance the levels out and have not been to bad this last year.
Before i got it sorted i had really bad problems , i am sure you can relate to them, i had really bad mood swings if i could call it that. How my DW is still with me i will never know, as i said to her ,if it had been the other way around i would have left her long ago.
I could literally have murdered people for the silliest things.Sometimes i would just go of in a rage, other times i would not be able to sleep and eventually explode , and i tried to explain to people,that you have no control over it, its as if someone else is controlling you.
thankfully my levels are normal for the last 18 months and i get check every year now.

I'm happy to hear the first part. It's so hard when you have unexplained pain. Hugs and prayers that you find relief.

Sorry to hear this. If you never had PT after your surgery, your muscles may still be trying to heal from the surgery. Do you know if it is the muscles in your neck?

Maybe some physical therapy could help that would teach you how to do stretches that will help the muscles in pain. I was having pain in my jaw/left side of face, and now after a few months of therapy to the muscles in my neck, it is starting to go away.

Another suggestion is to seek out an Osteopath who does Osteopathic Manipulation and/or Cranial/Sacral Therapy. I have had that with the PT and it's amazing! It's very gentle, I can't believe what it has done for my neck.

I had PT and OMT in combination, and am now also getting medical massage therapy.

Thanks..
It could be the muscles in my neck..the muscles were cut for one of the surgeries..i wonder if insurance would cover it this long after the surgery though?

I've lurked here a bit and guess I'll join in.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 15 (almost 20 years ago). I've been tired all the time, for as long as I can remember, and that's always my #1 complaint. I was actually diagnosed because my mom took me to the doctor thinking I had chronic fatigue syndrome.

I delivered my second child about 4 months ago and my levels were fine at that time (I've been on Synthroid since I was diagnosed). Lately, though, I've been experiencing lots of symptoms that make me believe it's not functioning properly. Excessive fatigue, dry, dry skin, hair falling out (though that could be a post partum issue), muscle aches and pains (particularly in the joints), muscle spasms, and cold hands and feet.

Last night I started breaking out in hives and went to the doctor today. He suggested that I might have Hashimoto's Disease, which can cause hives. I'll have new bloodwork drawn next week to check my thyroid levels.

I've been letting my OB and Primary Care Physician treat me because my Endo is just too conservative. He'll only look at lab results and not how I'm feeling. Both my OB and PCP will bump it up a little.

The most frustrating thing for me, is that they never seem to get it regulated for any extended period of time. I've often bounced around from hypo to hyper without changing the dosage of the meds. Then they'll up the dosage and it will work for a while, then I start the cycle all over again.

My father's thyroid quit working completely, so I'll probably be facing that in the years to come.

:hug: to everyone dealing with this.

I've been letting my OB and Primary Care Physician treat me because my Endo is just too conservative. He'll only look at lab results and not how I'm feeling. Both my OB and PCP will bump it up a little.

Ive been having that problem with 2 or 3 endocrinologists around here as well. I am having my primary care physician oversee my thyroid issues.
I went to the endocrinologist and he said my levels were in the normal range, but i was feeling so "off." When i told him i felt "low' he said that it was not possible. I went to my primary dr and she checked levels and was very helpful--she told me that i have never been "typical" with my thryoid problems so wh ywould i start now..She gave me a new dose and i f elt a ton better!

I hope they figure out what is wrong dawn!

Omg can i join you? My thyroid is well, working now. I have been underactive at least 8 times, hyperactive twice and now normal. They cant get it right. Nice to find others with T problems. I worry daily about getting thyroid cancer. We have a family history.

Hypothyroidism here. It has caused me to put on over a 100 lbs over the course of 20 years. I walk on a treadmill every chance I can get. It does not do a bit of good. (I have firm fat though) They check me everytime I go to the doctor and it is always in the normal range. Well I sure don't feel normal. I have had several doctors and they just tell me I am healthy. (Very healthy for someone 100 lbs overweight.) I wish someone could help me lose the weight.:confused3

Hi guys, I finally got the results of the uptake scan and it says it was normal???? The last labs I had done were just before the scan and the TSH was like 33. I don't get it. How do you go from .03 to 33 without any type of thyroid medication?????

The nurse called this week telling me to do more labs. I just wish I knew what is going on. I am so sick of it.

Hey look, a thyroid thread. I have Hashimoto's disease.

I think I need my synthroid dosage adjusted, it was adjusted last year and the symptoms I had before diagnosis are returning. My appointment is in February.

Hi guys, I finally got the results of the uptake scan and it says it was normal???? The last labs I had done were just before the scan and the TSH was like 33. I don't get it. How do you go from .03 to 33 without any type of thyroid medication?????

The nurse called this week telling me to do more labs. I just wish I knew what is going on. I am so sick of it.

33!!! Are you sure that was your TSH? That is way too hypo. I think you need a repeat!

Hypothyroidism here. It has caused me to put on over a 100 lbs over the course of 20 years. I walk on a treadmill every chance I can get. It does not do a bit of good. (I have firm fat though) They check me everytime I go to the doctor and it is always in the normal range. Well I sure don't feel normal. I have had several doctors and they just tell me I am healthy. (Very healthy for someone 100 lbs overweight.) I wish someone could help me lose the weight.:confused3

Are you getting copies of your labs Hixski? The "old normal" is not the "new normal". Get copies of your labs - try to get the last 3 or 4 and then report back with 1) the TSH value 2) the range that the lab uses for TSH 3) the same if they took T4 4) and if they did take T4, was it total T4 or Free T4?

If you come back with those answers, either I or someone else here can help explain or maybe give more advice.

Also - {{{trying to say this gently and with hugs}}} - yes, being hypo does cause some weight gain, but it's only about 10-15 lbs. What can cause significant, uncontrollable weight gain are problems with the pituitary (Cushing's) and other endocrine disorders that would not be detected with a TSH test (cortisol, insulin resistance etc.......). It could be that they need to start checking for other things......

Don't despair. Check into your labs and come back......

TSH numbers move up and down very slowly. Get copies of your labs that supposedly show .03 and 33. Report back with the TSH number and the lab range. Also report if they measured T4 and the number and range. Find out if it was Free T4 or Total T4.

And while you are dealing with this - I have one piece of advice - always get a copy of your lab report.

TSH numbers move up and down very slowly. Get copies of your labs that supposedly show .03 and 33. Report back with the TSH number and the lab range. Also report if they measured T4 and the number and range. Find out if it was Free T4 or Total T4.

And while you are dealing with this - I have one piece of advice - always get a copy of your lab report.

I found the latest printout of my labs. It shows my labs from Dec 6 and Nov 9

Nov 9
Free T4 1.20
Free T3 3.28
TSH .03

Dec 6

Free T4 .47 (.7-1.9)
Free T3 1.33 (1.45-3.48)

TSH 23.02 (.49-4.67)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!