The THYROID Thread

branv - so glad for your good news. I am glad they are cautious but optimistic. I am sure that news just made your day!! I know what you mean about the lack of info. Thyca. org did have a few posters that had issues like you. I know one had surgery, one was told to go get an abortion (didnt want to mention that to you before - everyone told her to get a 2nd opinion etc). and I think the other one I read might have had the surgery too. And had rai after delivery.

I had a hard time getting info about my rare variant and even my rad. onc. couldnt find any for for me, but I think since then a few papers or articles have been written. I think it took them 15 years to find enough patients to publish it etc.

Micayla - I have heard of this. My sis did have very bad endometriosis and I really think she had thyroid problems but they didnt diagnose her as usual. I think she was probably pretty hyper, fast heart beat (even though she had the heart disease we didnt know about), dry and protruding eyes, something like graves etc.

I know you are on the journey and I am praying for you. I am sure its emotionally and physically draining. Wishing you all the best as usual.

I am sick with a ear/sinus/throat thing I think I know now when I am getting this. Anyone ever get sharp pain by the jaw. It seems I am getting that on the dissection side. Its not swollen just painful. I think the salivary gland is draining ok. I think it it gets worse than I might do a hot compress. I already took 2 tylenol which seemed to help. So annoying. My ear is ringing and now by my ear/face is hurting too

Did you ladies know that there is a connection between thyroid issues and endometriosis?

Oh no, really? That makes me wonder about my older sister. She also has hypo/hashimotos, and it never really seems to be under control. She had also had various female problems for years. In addition, she had a few miscarriages, though was thankfully able to carry two daughters to term in her early 30's. Her endometriosis was so bad, at first they were convinced she must have cancer. At age 43, she finally had to have a complete hysterectomy. It was awful for her. I don't know if better control of her thyroid would have made a difference, but it's still a shame that no one ever told her of that connection.

branv - so glad for your good news. I am glad they are cautious but optimistic. I am sure that news just made your day!! I know what you mean about the lack of info. Thyca. org did have a few posters that had issues like you. I know one had surgery, one was told to go get an abortion (didnt want to mention that to you before - everyone told her to get a 2nd opinion etc). and I think the other one I read might have had the surgery too. And had rai after delivery.

I had a hard time getting info about my rare variant and even my rad. onc. couldnt find any for for me, but I think since then a few papers or articles have been written. I think it took them 15 years to find enough patients to publish it etc.

I am sick with a ear/sinus/throat thing I think I know now when I am getting this. Anyone ever get sharp pain by the jaw. It seems I am getting that on the dissection side. Its not swollen just painful. I think the salivary gland is draining ok. I think it it gets worse than I might do a hot compress. I already took 2 tylenol which seemed to help. So annoying. My ear is ringing and now by my ear/face is hurting too

Wow...I never once had a single doctor tell me that was necessary. In fact, they were all very reassuring that surgery during pregnancy is not ideal, but done successfully often, and very unlikely to harm the baby. But, I have to say, with all that I've read about thyroid patients/survivors struggles for treatment that fits their needs, I guess not as much surprises me any more. Though there are downfalls with misinformation, I think the internet is overall a wonderful thing -- patients are getting far more educated, and in turn able to push their doctors to look beyond lab work and statistics. I wish, for you, that more information had been available when you went through your surgery/diagnosis. But thankfully, because of people like you who are willing to share their story, others have guidance they might not have had before. :goodvibes

Sorry you're feeling poorly -- goodness, it seems like everyone I know is dealing with awful sinus infections lately that just won't go away. I also didn't realize that the surgery/treatment for thyroid cancer can affect the salivary glands! Yikes! I've had an infected salivary gland before and it was NOT fun. Hope you feel better soon.

Subscribed ;) Glad to have found this thread tho not time now to read every post I shall!! I've experienced symptoms heart palpitations being most scary 240 pm tho didnt know where to begin with physicians so went to cardio he put me on monitor which lead to # above his advice $30,000 surgery to explore NOT my DH is self contractor and had convo with cpl customers they told him about thyroid I honestly kinda blew it off as much of my family is deceased so I couldn't ask about genetics which most say it is NOW I'm reading this thread seeing many of my symptoms Maybe time for that blood work DH begged me to get!! At least now I'm armed with a Lil more knowledge than "check my thyroid" Yes I'm one of those weirdos whose not particularly fond of Dr offices!! Thank You Thank You Thank You DIS its been a true blessing to have found this board!!!

Ok sorry but just beside myself with all the knowledge jumped back to last page making sure post made it as I was reading pp on this page I really WOWed I had hysterectomy at 26 due to cancer caused by endemitriosis I'm SO excited silly as it sounds I've went downhill since DS12 just been coasting through life thinking I was crazy!! Hugs to those of y'all who have been fighting this battle tho I now see hope to normality!!

welcome crystal.

I still have the cold. I think the worst part is having a clogged up nose and breathing through my mouth. It dries my whole mouth out. I can only take the HBP cold meds because of all my bp meds. And worse I think we ran out of those because we ran out of the normal cold meds and told the ds they could use the high blood pressure cold meds so now my supply is gone. I dont even like to take meds anyway unless I have to. At least I am not coughing because that would be the worst with the neck dissection. Its just congestion that is annoying me.

Ok, carry on everyone and have a great day.

Hi all, I'm pretty new to the boards and just found this. I'm hypothyroid, diagnosed with Hashimoto's after the birth of my daughter. I also have pretty bad endometriosis and have suffered a miscarriage and other fertility issues because of it. I found the link between the two not very long ago and was pretty interested in it since both are considered auto-immune diseases. I was out of range at my last appt so they upped me to 125 mcg levothyroxine. Even when I'm regulated I have issues with being cold all the time though. People who have never dealt with thyroid issues don't really understand all the discomfort it can cause. I just feel like a lot of people don't take it very seriously. Anyway, I'm rambling and just wanted to say hi and introduce myself (I'm Sarah, by the way) and say I'm glad to have found this thread.

so glad this thread id here. I got diagnosed with Graves disease when I was pregnant about 5 years ago. Unfortunatly I had a miscarriage. My doc told me that sometimes pregnancy can trigger Graves disease.

Was on meds for a while but lost my job. have a new job but no health insurance so unfortunatly i havent been able to see the dr so i havent been on my meds for a while.

Having hyperthyroid suck. I'm hot all the time. i dont loose weight because I'm always hungry and so i eat alot. dont gain either so thats good. I' also thirst alllll the time. its crazy cant get enough water to drink. lol. I get muscles pain too.

worst time i had with this disease was when i had excruciating joint pain all over my body. i was in bed a week and could barely move. my boyfriend had to leave me a pain pill out everynight because i couldnt open the bottle my hands hurt so bad. they are not sure if the pain was from the Graves itself or the mediation. they lowered my dose anyway (PTU).

hate these heart palpatations. sometimes my BP gets high and I get dizzy nd get blurry vision. been a while since that last happened though.

Was wondering if there are any holistic things that can help control thyroi levels.

cceandme said:
so glad this thread id here. I got diagnosed with Graves disease when I was pregnant about 5 years ago. Unfortunatly I had a miscarriage. My doc told me that sometimes pregnancy can trigger Graves disease.

Was on meds for a while but lost my job. have a new job but no health insurance so unfortunatly i havent been able to see the dr so i havent been on my meds for a while.

Having hyperthyroid suck. I'm hot all the time. i dont loose weight because I'm always hungry and so i eat alot. dont gain either so thats good. I' also thirst alllll the time. its crazy cant get enough water to drink. lol. I get muscles pain too.

worst time i had with this disease was when i had excruciating joint pain all over my body. i was in bed a week and could barely move. my boyfriend had to leave me a pain pill out everynight because i couldnt open the bottle my hands hurt so bad. they are not sure if the pain was from the Graves itself or the mediation. they lowered my dose anyway (PTU).

hate these heart palpatations. sometimes my BP gets high and I get dizzy nd get blurry vision. been a while since that last happened though.

Was wondering if there are any holistic things that can help control thyroi levels.

Please try to see a doctor about your Graves' disease. A hyperactive thyroid can damage your internal organs -heart, kidneys, liver....

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

New to this thread.

I've been struggling with weight for my life and I always thought thyroid. Dr always said diet and exercise... Well I finally qualified for hypothyroid, but I need a new dr. He won't give me mess to help it.

Has anyone ever tried the cookie diet for hypothyroid?

Thanks and good luck to everyone.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Definitely don't stay off your meds - I almost lost my best friend to kidney failure as a direct result of not taking her thyroid medicines. She had to have a kidney transplant.

New to this thread.

I've been struggling with weight for my life and I always thought thyroid. Dr always said diet and exercise... Well I finally qualified for hypothyroid, but I need a new dr. He won't give me mess to help it.

Has anyone ever tried the cookie diet for hypothyroid?

Thanks and good luck to everyone.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Don't know what the cookie diet is. Get your lab work and find a dr that does more autoimmune and hormonal disorders. I found a nurse practitioner that was willing to listen to my family history.

My surgery is this Thursday. I haven't had surgery since I was teen. Back then I was fearless. Now I am not looking forward to going through this! I have hosted several hissy fits about this. Honestly, I am scared. Initially, I went to the NP wanting a baseline for my thyroid since my family has such a mess of thyroid problems. I figured I would the bulletproof one and expected nothing from my ultrasound. After 30 minutes, I stopped the tech and asked her if she was able to tell me anything. She told me that I had at least 8 nodules and she was having to get good info on all of them. After multiple ultrasounds, 1 nodule finally worked its way into the "biopsy needed" direction. I figured again, that biopsy would be nothing, but it was folliculiar neoplasm so here I am having to have surgery to find out for sure what it is. Of course, the biggest chances are that it is non-cancerous, but NOTHING has happened like I have expected through this.

Thank you all for listening. Trying to keep busy until Wednesday night.

Well....back to crazy??!! Results in TSH 1.27 T4 1.20?? I'm sure set back as after seeing such a wide range of symptoms actually coming from one source I thought aha even took survey online coming back with 33 of 38 symptoms associated?! Dr says he believes skin disorder is cholesterol also due to hysterectomy some symptoms menopause I just want ME back feel as my family is paying price for my unwell being ;-(( HUGS to each of you

sarah - welcome. I hope your new dose helps. I am constantly cold too. I would be happy if it was in the 90s but we are having snow and rain here later today.

cceandme - I would try to get back on your meds too. Does your state offer a program you would qualify for. Also some drug companies offer free meds to people who financially qualify. I know my aunt and uncle get some. Wishing you all the best.

ltheisfeld - I have not heard of the cookie diet

robynslp - Wishing you all the best with your surgery thurs. I was afraid too. Its only natural. It helped that they let me hold the mask. I was also singing some of my favorite christian praise songs to myself and that helped too. Or you could dream about a nice disney world vacation:)

Christine - I think I just won about another 6 books. I better get a move on it!

Mickayla - thinking of you and saying a prayer with all you are going through. Hang in there!

Home from my partial thyroidectomy. Everything went smoothly. I was really caught unawares as to how hard it is to swallow with all those muscles upset. I'm a speech pathologist so it puts my feeding therapy in a new light. If my pathology comes back ca my surgeon wants to get me back in right away (like next Wednesday!). I am of course hoping that we don't need to go that route.

Robyn - glad your surgery went well. I had a lot of swallowing issues post surgery. Maybe stick to the soft stuff right now like meatloaf, mashed potatoes, pudding, ice cream etc.

Lettuce was the worst for me and cole slaw. Thought I was going to choke and die. Also french fries and bread that was too soft.

Guess best to try a little of something and then go from there.

Hoping you get good results from your pathology. Wishing you all the best.

Home from my partial thyroidectomy. Everything went smoothly. I was really caught unawares as to how hard it is to swallow with all those muscles upset. I'm a speech pathologist so it puts my feeding therapy in a new light. If my pathology comes back ca my surgeon wants to get me back in right away (like next Wednesday!). I am of course hoping that we don't need to go that route.

Hoping your pathology is BENIGN!!!:thumbsup2

Pathology came back and it is benign. :) I was ill prepared for how much pain eating would cause. I lost 3 pounds that first week (I had them to lose so I trying to not find them.) Since I'm a speech pathologist I know all kinds of things to help get a successful swallow, but little made it hurt less. Thank you for all the support on this board. I have to continue to monitor the nodules on the left side, but hopefully they will stay small and non-problematic.

Pathology came back and it is benign. :) I was ill prepared for how much pain eating would cause. I lost 3 pounds that first week (I had them to lose so I trying to not find them.) Since I'm a speech pathologist I know all kinds of things to help get a successful swallow, but little made it hurt less. Thank you for all the support on this board. I have to continue to monitor the nodules on the left side, but hopefully they will stay small and non-problematic.

Great news!!!!!

So glad to hear the wonderful news!

http://www.self.com/health/2013/04/thyroid-cancer-risks

Just read this article last night in Self magazine. I'm almost compelled to write in about it because I feel that it is reckless reporting but I've got enough to complain about!!!

I feel the article did a real injustice to people who may have or who are struggling with how to handle their thyroid cancer.

I realize that, for a long time, there have been "theories" that some thyroid cancers may never progress; i.e., back in the 80s, during routine autopsies of elderly people, they found micro-thyroid cancers thyroid glands. They suspect that many of us walk around like this and they never progress.

But once you've found a tumor? Don't treat it? Ahhh...I don't think so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter