The thought of DisneyWorld scares me...

Discussion in 'Disneyland Community Board' started by HollyL, Dec 4, 2012.

1. HollyL

HollyL Mouseketeer

I guess if you are used to Florida, the thought of California is scary and vice versa. Kind of the same reason I am afraid of trying another cruiseline other than the one that I always choose. You just get comfortable with the one you are loyal to, and it's a lot of work to get to know something new, and work isn't something you really look forward to on a "vacation".

When I was younger and didn't have kids, nothing scared me at all. I mean, I have visited some pretty intimidating places, but having a young family in tow changes everything.

I think that if you are used to WDW and how spread out everything is, DLR might be an interesting, more convenient change, especially seeing how easy park hopping is. Literally just across from each other. I couldn't imagine just getting the "one park, one day" tickets because I like bouncing back and forth, especially since my 4 year old has favorite rides in each park and insists that he wants to ride them "NOW!". Hopefully as he gets older he will get sick of the Submarine ride, because I am so sick of that one!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. PoohsFan1

PoohsFan1 DIS Veteran

Awww OP, don't be scared of WDW, if you plan your trip right it won't be bad, it just takes a lot more planning out, that is why we have the DIS to help us :goodvibes. However, I get your apprehension because we too are like you, but the difference is that we are WDW vets (have gone countless number of times) and will be going to DLR for the first time in June. To tell you the truth, I was a little scared about planning out this trip. I know DLR is much smaller in comparison, but we know WDW like the back of our hands, we feel very comfortable there...it is our "home away from home". Now thinking about our DLR trip, I am a bit nervous because we are "Newbies" there. The only thing I have set in stone is our resort (staying at VGC) and have jot down a tentative dining plan (even though we have 4 months before I can even get reservations for them). Other than that, my girls and I have been constantly YouTubing the different rides at both DL and DCA (they all look awesome and can't wait to ride :goodvibes) and have been scanning the different threads on the Disneyland board which I have been getting really valuable information too. For me it is the unknown, but I know once we get there my fears will melt away and I will have a blast :goodvibes.

4. PoohsFan1

PoohsFan1 DIS Veteran

Wow, you are so right about this, however, I can only speak on behalf of my family and the WDW vets part of your statement. When we plan out our WDW vacations, DH and I get more excited about where we are staying and what restaurants we eat at then which rides we are riding first. Even with the New Fantasyland opening up, you can bet that I was more excited about the Be our Guest Restaurant then I was about the new Ariel ride. Don't get me wrong, we love the parks but we are at the age where our vacations are more about the resorts and what they offer whereas the parks are just an added bonus...now if you ask my kids, they will tell you it's other way around :rotfl:.

5. luvthemouse71

luvthemouse71 Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

Don't let WDW scare you. It's doable and I love Epcot and the Animal Kingdom park.

I am the opposite. I will be doing my first trip to Disneyland in about 5 months and am afraid of the long flight, and that I won't love it as much as WDW. I've also heard that the CMs can be a little ruder, and sometimes it's not as "magical".. Whatever that means, lol.

I'm a Disney nerd though so I want to try it at least once. Plus, DL has Mr Toad!!

6. moose615

moose615 DIS Veteran

It can be scary either way, as a WDW dad I am taking my DD5 to DL for our very first DL trip in Oct, it's alittle intimidating but I love the idea that everything's right there, so when we get off the airport bus we are there for 5 days and don't have to get on another bus, I've been reading the boards and books for DL tips, but also have a trip to WDW in march and don't mind taking the bus and monorail to places, but I love Disney and am excited about both WDW and DL trips

7. PinkBudgie

PinkBudgie <font color=deeppink>Expert Disneyland Snowball Ma

Wow, I came on here to head over the WDW side and browse a little because I'm getting panicky about a trip in to WDW in a year and half! I was checking the DLR boards first and found this thread. I'm not scared, I'm imitimated. I can't wait to see and try new things at WDW but we've never been.

I still can't decide where to stay and I dread all the buses. I was just listening to the podcast discussing transprotation at WDW and they said to allow an hour and a half to get to your dining reservation! :faint: I am really having trouble figuring out how to plan this! Where to eat, when to eat, park hop or not... From what I read, you have to know all this 6 months before you go! I don't even know where to start. The only thing I do know is we must go during summer, unfortunately. DH and I are both teachers and just can't take that much time off during the school year. We will plan for mid June and spend 10 days. Any tips for a DLR vet on how to start would wonderful. I'm thinking I'll be contacting Dreams Unlimited.

8. Chass

Chass Earning My Ears

Hello I just got back from WDW and hated it I still think that DL is better as for the cast members being rude they are great compared to the WDW CM and the security is very rude and the animal kingdom was a waste of time anyway I know you will have a great time in DL.

9. Chass

Chass Earning My Ears

WDW sucks compared to DL

10. clownfish1976

clownfish1976 Arizona Reef keeper!

i think if you LOVE Disneyland its ALMOST impossible to not love WDW once you give it an honest try. I was a DL veteran, been there countless times, used to work there even, and had never been to WDW. I even had negative thoughts about WDW before i went, like "our Disneyland is the TRUE park, its the one WALT walked through and cared about" blah blah blah, THEN i went to WDW. its Disneyland on Steroids and i meant it in a goodway. if Disneyland is a weekend getaway, WDW is a full blown 10 night Vacation. Its a WONDERFUL experience, it does take more planning, but that was the fun part, getting to plan my vacation months before even going. EPCOT is NOT outdated, its one of the most popular parks in the world, they do a GREAT job of keeping it up to to date. I truly wanted to be like " Disneyland is SOOO much better" once i got there, but it was not to be, WDW won me over, its a GREAT place and im DYING to get back, even considering moving there ! its THAT good. Yes the weather is no fun for about 4 months of the year, the rest of the year is not so bad from what i hear, and like anywhere, you learn to adapt. Besides the 4 main parks and 2 water parks, the Resorts at WDW are AMAZING, each of them is a destination really, they have some of the best restaurants at the hotels and the scenery and architecture at the hotels is just as good as at the parks, at least at the Moderate and Deluxe resorts. As a DL Lover, i say GO for it, you will NOT be disappointed if you keep a positive attitude and are a TRUE Disney Parks lover, its JUST as good if not better than DL !!!

11. HoneyPooh72

HoneyPooh72 Earning My Ears

We have been to WDW several times, going to DLR for the first time in October of this year. Our last trip to WDW was the end of June 2012. We were there for 10 days and stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. We have, in the past, stayed at most of the moderate resorts. IMO, I would stay in one of the deluxe (if $ is not an issue). I think that transporation is easier at the deluxe resorts. For example at the WL, we could take a bus or we would take a boat to MK. We could also take a boat to get to the monorail resorts and use those as well.

12. Judy from Boise

Judy from Boise <font color=teal>Watch out – might take away your Moderator

I would strongly urge you to use the teacher discount and stay at the Swan or Dolphin. You can walk to Epcot and Boat to Studios. By far the most convenient transportation wise for the reasonable price point.

13. Judy from Boise

I love them both, will be doing WDW 3 times this year because of APs. The real value of WDW for us is we like to travel in January and February to get out of winter and have low crowds. DLR is famous for multiple rehabs and weekend only shows during this time. At WDW we can get night time shows daily, and much fewer rehabs, plus almost guaranteed sunshine.

My biggest wish for DLR would be fireworks during the week year round even if it was every other day.

14. PinkBudgie

PinkBudgie <font color=deeppink>Expert Disneyland Snowball Ma

Oh, a teacher discount? Have to look in to that. Thanks! Although I wonder if we loose some perks by not staying at an official Disney hotel. I have heard good things about it though.

15. Judy from Boise

The only big perk you lose is the magic Express option. I think it is a great trade off as most DL veterans plan to spend the least time at MK and most time at Epcot, and with these hotels you can easily walk to Epcot.

16. Jaina

Jaina Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long, VMK story.

I just saw this, and I feel similarly! I've been to WDW once in high school, and I liked it (even with AK being new and not getting to see then-MGM), and I would LOVE to go with just DH and I, but the thought of taking small children there intimidated me a LOT. (We lived in VA for a year and thought that would be our first Disney visit at one point) DLR with my kids will take a lot of planning, but I am pretty comfortable there and know what to expect, especially with the help of these boards for current news. :) Maybe someday. But now that we're back in AZ I'm kind of relieved it's just good old DLR!