The Tale of the Grow Walk ….Hunh?

I'm sort of shocked Skip wanted to do a spur of the moment park day. And I'm also kind of panicking that Skip wanted to do a spur of the moment park day.

It's so typical of him....I thin panic flashed through my mind at first, but I guess living with him I learn to deal with it at times.

I'm a planner. A mega planner.

Me too..it's my job! LOL!!!!

Especially when it comes to park touring.

Yes, I can wing it in a park but I like to have an idea of how it will play out.

I'm not sure I could handle someone throwing me a curve ball like that, so kudos to you.

He just said today he wants to go to Macinac Island next week.....I said OK.....and he said don't you want to come...um not during the week when Claire is in school.....plus I rather fly somewhere warm......

Great updates, Jen. I LOVED the Men in Black ride (didn't know about the red button though...that could be new since we were there 15 years ago!).

Oh Skip...do you men ever listen to what we say???? :crazy2:

I'm impressed how you know all the characters from the Simpsons (not a fan of the show and only know one or two of them). I loved Back to the Future too and how cool that you saw Doc.

I'm glad you got some food and it looks as if Claire is happy now with some of her own food (I assume she got the bonus points).

Loved your long updates, Jen! You have me in completely unfamiliar territory for sure, so it's fun seeing pictures and places I've never seen before! One of these days we may do it for something different, but for now, I need me some more Disney!

Great updates! Thanks for the photo tour of Key West. The pool and play area looks really nice!

OMG I can't believe Skip changed his mind at the last minute about Universal! That's great you got to go, but unfortunate that you didn't have a little more time to prepare. So funny!

Thanks to the "new and improved" Dis and the back to no more email notifications, I was waaaaaay behind. I'm talking all the way back to when your last day on the cruise behind. What the heck was up with your stateroom hostess/lady/whatever the proper name is? Sounds like she had a little bit of an attitude problem. You had me laughing like heck at Skip and his porter tipping. You may remember that I had almost a similar reaction as Skip when John tipped our porter way over what he was supposed to.

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about Legoland. It really doesn't sound like it's someplace that we'd want to visit even if our kids were younger. I have to say though that the Lego sculptures and the gardens look amazing! Oh and I think that those stubby stump looking things in your pictures are Cypress knees. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cypress_knee (I was going to post a picture but the Dis isn't letting me.)

Speaking of looking amazing, I love the look of Old Key West! Every single time that I see pictures, I think that we'd enjoy a stay there. If only it had beaches, I could probably talk John into it. I'm sorry that the castmember who checked you in wasn't more pleasant and helpful.

Oh Skip! You are a man full of surprises! Who would have thought that he'd suggest going to Universal on your last day?

Great updates, Jen. I LOVED the Men in Black ride (didn't know about the red button though...that could be new since we were there 15 years ago!).

I only new about it from our trip a few years ago when a friend who goes to Uni a lot told me about it. I kept it secret from my family till after I won. LOL!

Oh Skip...do you men ever listen to what we say???? :crazy2:

Nope....never!

I'm impressed how you know all the characters from the Simpsons (not a fan of the show and only know one or two of them). I loved Back to the Future too and how cool that you saw Doc.

I used to watch it a lot way back when but nothing recently.

I'm glad you got some food and it looks as if Claire is happy now with some of her own food (I assume she got the bonus points).

yes we were happy with food and I think she did get her points! LOL.

Loved your long updates, Jen! You have me in completely unfamiliar territory for sure, so it's fun seeing pictures and places I've never seen before! One of these days we may do it for something different, but for now, I need me some more Disney!

It really is a fun place.

Great updates! Thanks for the photo tour of Key West. The pool and play area looks really nice

I wish I got to spend more time there to get a better feel for it.

OMG I can't believe Skip changed his mind at the last minute about Universal! That's great you got to go, but unfortunate that you didn't have a little more time to prepare. So funny!

It's shocking but it shouldn't surprise me...he changes his mind all the time.

Thanks to the "new and improved" Dis and the back to no more email notifications, I was waaaaaay behind. I'm talking all the way back to when your last day on the cruise behind.

OH no they stopped again? Though I really think I am not getting all of them again either.

What the heck was up with your stateroom hostess/lady/whatever the proper name is? Sounds like she had a little bit of an attitude problem.

Yes, god forbid she would have to do extra work. She rubbed me wrong.

You had me laughing like heck at Skip and his porter tipping. You may remember that I had almost a similar reaction as Skip when John tipped our porter way over what he was supposed to.

Yeah he would be one to either go way over or way under. This time he was way under. LOL. But I guess he thought I was way over.

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about Legoland. It really doesn't sound like it's someplace that we'd want to visit even if our kids were younger. I have to say though that the Lego sculptures and the gardens look amazing! Oh and I think that those stubby stump looking things in your pictures are Cypress knees. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cypress_knee (I was going to post a picture but the Dis isn't letting me.)

Someone on passporters said that too, so you must be right!

Oh Skip! You are a man full of surprises! Who would have thought that he'd suggest going to Universal on your last day?

He sure is. I shouldn't be surprised but it did shock me a bit.

After everyone had a full belly we decided we better get in line for Despicable Me so we worked our way there.

A Dora spotting…at the time my niece was still really into Dora…I think now at the mature age of 5 she is growing out of her a bit.

Transformers was back up and running but we just didn’t have time for it now.

We got in line, which I believe was over an hour wait if I remember right.

Once you get inside there are still a few more waiting rooms. This was supposed to be their house.

From this room we went to another room and then into our loading area. The ride, which is like a simulator but all in one room, was fun. We enjoyed it a lot…however I don’t think I would wait in a long line for it again.

After our fun with the Minions we did a bit of shopping.

We were in there for quite some time trying to find the perfect shirt for me and something for Claire. I also bought a magnet. Skip sat outside and waited for us.

Sadly it was time to go. We had to fill the car up with gas yet too.

We made our way to our car and started out to the airport. I said something about getting gas in the area and Skip said no, let’s just wait till we get closer. DUMB idea!!!!!

The crying now began. Claire did not want to go home…neither did I, but I told her we would do something again and be back. But then she cried because her dad doesn’t always go with us and he needs to do a long trip with us. He told her he would do more trips, but it wasn’t helping. She was very over tired and just worn out from a long trip.

We saw no signs for gas stations along the way and the next thing you know we are pulling into the airport. We turn around and look for one down the road….the cost of gas was about $8 a gallon…I kid you not! Skip said get it and I said no and he said get it and I made him pump and pay. I was so disgusted that this place can get away with charging so much for gas.

With the tank full of gas that was more valuable than gold we headed off to return the rental car. We were a little behind schedule but if security went ok we should be ok.

When we returned the car a porter asked if we needed help with our bags. I was surprised when Skip said yes. I was also happy. The guy was really nice and asked how our car was and we told him how crappy it was. He said “Well you had a Versa or a …..(something else). Yep we had the Versa!

He took us to a different checkin counter for Southwest. He said it was busy upstairs and not many people know about this location. It had just a few people in line and before we knew it we had tickets in hand and off to head through security.

I don’t remember much about it, so it must’ve not been too bad. It’s always busy, but it seems like I didn’t complain much about it.

With that done we hopped on the monorail.

We decided we better eat something since we will be getting in pretty late to Detroit and settled for McDonalds.

At some point we lost Skip. I forget why he left us but it took him awhile to come back and we both were getting annoyed at him wandering off. He did this a lot on the trip and I was sick of staying put to have him find us or just wondering where he went.

We finally headed to our gate. There was another flight before us there still and looking at the monitor it was scheduled to fly out just 5 minutes before ours. I questioned it and was responded by grumbles. Why am I worrying about that? Just go to the gate. Well I am not stupid…2 planes cannot load at the same time and our plane can’t pull up and load in 5 minutes.

We chatted with some people sitting in the area who were waiting on the first flight. Evidently their plane had technical issues and another plane was being brought in for them.

As time grew closer (Not long really) they were getting ready to board but no word for us yet. I went to the desk to question it and they told us that we would be boarding after….ok, sounds good.

Then the talk started around the area that our plane was being used for this group and we were now delayed. Then word got out it would be a couple of hours and we were to go to another gate. Finally it was announced (and my email notification came). I was pretty annoyed by this. I know it happens, but I just wish they could’ve figured it out earlier and sent the emails out so we could’ve stayed another 2 hours at Universal.

It was crowded but we found a seat with plugs and Claire and I plugged in and she played on her kindle while I worked on editing pictures from my Disneyland trip.

Skip was sitting in a different area and just dozed off.

Finally we were ready to board. The flight crew was annoyed as well as they were kept in the dark till the last minute as well.

We boarded and soon were in the air. Claire was at the window and I was at the aisle, with Skip in between us. Drinks and snacks were served and then it went completely downhill from there. Claire had her drink on her tray and I have no idea why but Skip whipped his hand around and Claire’s drink went flying. It completely spilt all over. All over her lap, some on his and somehow even some on mine. I passed the napkin over and caught the flight attendant’s attention and she brought us some paper towels. Claire started crying because she was soaking wet. Skip was not taking blame at all. He just kept saying it was an accident and he was wet too, but you could tell by the way he was acting that he felt it was her fault when she did nothing wrong but have her drink on her tray. We cleaned up the best we could…nothing like sitting almost the whole flight wet with sticky pop and we heard the people behind us ask for towels too as it spilled on them as well. It was like this cup had gallons of liquid in it. Well hearing that the people behind us got wet put Skip in a mood. What I call acting like a baby. He sat and pouted the rest of the flight and refused to talk to either of us. Seriously??? It was an accident and Claire was over tired…give her some slack. Evidently he was over tired too.

When we landed he didn’t say a word but got off the plane and just took off. Claire and I had to go to the bathroom so we bee-lined to one down the hall only to find it closed…so we went further down and were only about 20 steps away and a guy tells us it was closer to go to the one around the corner. I told him we didn’t care, she really had to go and we were fine, but he insisted that we not go to this one. Good grief. So we go around the corner…and it’s closed!

So we head down to baggage claim and Claire is about to pee her pants she has to go so badly, but we beat the crowd and were fine.

When we came out the line was stretching out the door.

We have lost Skip, but I assumed he went outside to smoke. I call my dad to tell him we are waiting on bags.

We look outside and don’t find Skip but come back in to find him and the bags. He is still grumpy and quiet. He takes off outside and we keep waiting for dad and Skip keeps yelling to tell him we will walk to him. Oh and it’s snowing, and freaking cold! Claire and I have sweatshirts on but Skip is just in short sleeves. I call my dad and he tells me he is waiting but no one is around and no one is coming out. What? Then he tells me he is at the Delta terminal….NO!!!! We are at Southwest…a completely different building, which I think is a few miles away.

So Dad makes his way towards us and Skip starts walking. Claire and I follow….both of us whimpering about the cold and snow. The sidewalk ends and Skip still keeps walking. What the heck is he doing???? Then he stops when he can’t go any further and waits and starts to complain he is cold. Well duh. Dad finally comes around and we load in the car and Skip pouts a bit on the way home, but he does warm up and talk to dad after a bit.

It’s about an hour or so to get home but with the snow it took a bit longer.

When we arrived Skip and Dad brought bags in and then Skip went directly to bed. It was late and much later than we had planned to be home, but that is just the way it goes with flying.

The next day Skip was fine and I started the laundry and putting everything away. I enjoy traveling with him but coming home usually annoys me as he is always in such a hurry to get home and back to work.

He has stated several times last year that he wanted to go to California this year, but now that this year is here he has not committed to anything. A lot is going on here right now, so I understand why he can’t totally commit yet, but as of yesterday we are no longer going to be in the dairy farming business. Milking cows are being sold. He and his brother just are too tired of all the work involved and getting older and their bodies are not young anymore so they have decided to just raise cows …but not milk anymore. We will be beef cow farmers though....

He won’t commit till after that sale is over and things have calmed down…..but I still think he could give us an estimated timeline. All I got was sometime in April, May, or June….and then he said summer another time….Yeah, that doesn’t help with the planning at all.

And that is the Tale of the Grow Walk…….

I will add some final thoughts later…..

OMG ...... I do not envy you the trip home. NO fun!

I loved all your photos of UO though. And ALL your updates. I am sorry I haven't commented too much, but things are being hectic again and we are leaving for Florida in 10 days. :scared1:

But, as always, thanks for sharing, Jen an I cannot wait for your next adventure.

Side note:
I am so surprised Skip gave up dairy farming. I hope raising cows works out for him as well. :goodvibes

It sounds like Skip was just as exhausted as Claire and decided to act her age instead of his own. LOL! Maybe deep down he didn't want the vacation to end and that's why he was in such a mood.

I'm with Karin, I can hardly believe that he's decided to give up dairy farming. Hope that the beef cattle business will be less work and less tiring.

So, I wonder when he'll decide that it's time to go on vacation and then ask you to pull a rabbit out of your hat? We know how he likes to wait until the last minute to tell ya.

It sounds like you enjoyed your short time at Universal. Too bad the trip home wasn't as pleasant. What is with Skip taking off and not telling you where he is going. I'd be giving Mark holy he** for that. The whole situation at the airport was poorly handled in my opinion.

I am sorry to hear about the dairy farming and hope the less work is less stressful for him and his brother. I hope you find out a vacation date soon.

OMG ...... I do not envy you the trip home. NO fun!

It was a bit stressful!

I loved all your photos of UO though. And ALL your updates. I am sorry I haven't commented too much, but things are being hectic again and we are leaving for Florida in 10 days. :scared1:

I am so jealous! I am so close to just taking off and leaving the family behind...got room for 1 more? :rolleyes1

But, as always, thanks for sharing, Jen an I cannot wait for your next adventure.

Thanks for reading! I am glad to be done and take some time to work on a few other things. But I do enjoy having these reports to look back on.

Side note:
I am so surprised Skip gave up dairy farming. I hope raising cows works out for him as well. :goodvibes

We know many farmers who have made this move so it should be fine. It's whether or not I kill him for being in the house more often now. LOL

It sounds like Skip was just as exhausted as Claire and decided to act her age instead of his own. LOL! Maybe deep down he didn't want the vacation to end and that's why he was in such a mood.

hahaha! I like that theory at least!

I'm with Karin, I can hardly believe that he's decided to give up dairy farming. Hope that the beef cattle business will be less work and less tiring.

it will be less work and that is good for him, but not sure how I feel. He's already been in the house a lot today...and getting in my way!

So, I wonder when he'll decide that it's time to go on vacation and then ask you to pull a rabbit out of your hat? We know how he likes to wait until the last minute to tell ya.

yes!!! Thats one reason going to DL would be easier than WDW for last minute. I did tell him that for WDW we had to book it at least 2 months out.

It sounds like you enjoyed your short time at Universal. Too bad the trip home wasn't as pleasant. What is with Skip taking off and not telling you where he is going. I'd be giving Mark holy he** for that. The whole situation at the airport was poorly handled in my opinion.

The rest of the day was kind of a disaster really. By the time I was at the airport I just wanted to get home and I had no patience for waiting...and then the plane ride...lots of tension.

I am sorry to hear about the dairy farming and hope the less work is less stressful for him and his brother. I hope you find out a vacation date soon.

He seems happy with his decision right now. We still could slowly go back if needed as all the calves and heffers are still here. But if they do it wouldn't be fore several months. He even said the beef cow raising is a few months away. He will have to breed our current cows we have left for beef to to get the right kind going...if that makes sense?

I love the photos from Old Key West. I may just feel a tiny bit homesick. ;)

Your last day sounded a bit like a rollercoaster. That was a bit of an impulse decision to head to Universal the last day. Looks like you still got quite a bit done given the time that you had. What a pain about the delayed flight.

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading along.

Corinna

I love the photos from Old Key West. I may just feel a tiny bit homesick. ;)

Your last day sounded a bit like a rollercoaster. That was a bit of an impulse decision to head to Universal the last day. Looks like you still got quite a bit done given the time that you had. What a pain about the delayed flight.

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading along.

Corinna

Thanks for reading Corinna!
It was a fun trip and yes we had some glitches but I had a good time. It was reallly fun to go to Universal on the spur of the moment though.

What a nightmare of a trip home. :( So sad to see tension like that for sure. But glad you are home safe and had a fun trip nonetheless! Looking forward to your trip re-cap and any future plans. :)

Seems like you had a great short time at Universal.

Sorry about your trip back home. :( Very stressful.

Hoping that you can get a more concrete timeline so you can start trip planning!

Thanks for sharing your TR! Looking forward towards your final thoughts!

What a nightmare of a trip home. :( So sad to see tension like that for sure. But glad you are home safe and had a fun trip nonetheless! Looking forward to your trip re-cap and any future plans. :)

Yeah it wasn't very smooth or sweet. But we had a good time so i can't complain too much.

Seems like you had a great short time at Universal.

Sorry about your trip back home. :( Very stressful.

Hoping that you can get a more concrete timeline so you can start trip planning!

Thanks for sharing your TR! Looking forward towards your final thoughts!

It was a nice short stop there.
I wish we could just plan some dates for a trip and my husband is driving me bonkers. He won't bend and I am being quiet about it now, but if he doesn't get flexible and start planning soon I will snap.

Well howdy stranger
hi.gif

I just read the rest of your Trippie! Great job Jen!
clap.gif

Of course pics are awesome as always! Loved your pics of the ship and they made me REALLY want to cruise NOW! That gas pump on Serenity Bay has taken a beating, it used to have a nice CC sign on the top. I MISS Serenity Bay so much, the last time we enjoyed it was pre-Kira in 2005 and I long for it every time we stop there. :sad:
I loathe the family beach, especially on the new ships because it is so crowded!!! :crowded:

Loved the "tube selfie" :rotfl2:

Your tenderloin on the last night in AP looked horrendous :scared: Looks like they gave you the last little chunk of the cut that should have been thrown out :crazy2:

Thanks for posting the Legoland pics and confirming to me that I would NOT like that place! :p

I did love that Banyan Tree though :love:

They are all over the place in Hawaii, just another reason I love Hawaii :lovestruc

And now about your last day! Wow, talk about a change of plans!!! I would have just told Skip to stuff it in his ear and gone swimming with Claire ::yes:: :rotfl2:

Sorry about your trip home! I laughed at the line about the small cup holding gallons of liquid :rotfl:

It's never easy coming home from a Disney trip and even worse when you have to deal with grumpy pants :rolleyes2

Thanks for taking us on this journey with you and your family. I loved every second and crossing my fingers that I see you next February :hug:

Love the tree pics. The gardens were beautiful.

The room at OKW looks nice. 36 days I will be there.

How I love the boat rides at Disney.

I love T-Rex but I find it so expensive. I had a drink and burger and it was $38 with tip.

The vacation shirt is cute and now sorcerer hat memorabilia. LOL

OKW is definitely pretty.

LOL. The reason why mousekeeping won’t come back till you check out.

yeah we are going to Universal.

LOL about the rides he was asking about.

Love the Simpsons ride.

I miss “Back to the Future” ride.

Love the Minions.

Nice pics while exiting.

Wow that is a lot for gas.

Good luck with the new cow adventure.

I love the pictures of OKW. I would have panicked if someone pulled a Skip and added a park day!! What I really loved was him asking for WDW rides!!LOL Sorry Claire was so teary eyed and tired.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter