The Super Secret, Christmas Spectacular, NYE Cruise on Fantasy

Thanks for the update! We are sailing concierge in June on the Fantasy so loving this report! Keep it coming!

Thanks Lizzards, and everyone for following along. We were in 12510, where are you staying (if you don't mind sharing)?

I don't know how the contracts work for the ships crew, but all three ladies were very helpful and very nice and made our trip fun so hopefully, you'll have the same ladies and the same luck. If you don't tell them Zachary and Lauren say hi :) They did a very cool scavenger hunt for the kids that I'll share later.

So we left off with running up to see the Sail Away, we didn't like our meal period time (but were shocked that that was the case because we're earlier eaters) and forgotten to mention happy hour! We're not crazy drinkers, and we did pack some wine for our room, but the happy hour was a great deal for us. Our room was literally across from the Starboard entrance in to the lounge (it was maybe 10 steps, probably 5) while we were getting ready for dinner, I stuck my head in the lounge and Jesse was tending bar, we'd not grown to "love" Jesse as we would:), but got a glass of wine for my wife and makers and diet (which is what we had had at the welcome reception). Jesse had already endeared himself to us, as he knew what I wanted as I walked in the door. We grabbed one for the road as we headed to dinner a few minutes late and enjoyed those with dinner. Not that the wine selections were terribly outrageous, but it was nice to have a drink with dinner and it was "free" in theory...

Our dinner was at Royal Court on the first night. We had requested RAERRAE. We had requested this rotation so that we would be in Royal for New Year's Eve (thinking that might feel more regal and festive). I'll start by saying, the meals are a blur and I don't have great details other than to see, every meal we tried to follow the recommendations of the waiter and we were never disappointed with our meal. The downside to our dining experience is a lack of experience; on us and I think on our staff. We knew some of the 'tricks' about ordering anything and everything but as I noted, we were eating too early considering snacks and happy hour and late lunches etc etc. So while we enjoyed the food, we didn't get to be creative and our wait staff was not the same as we'd read about and heard about from everyone. A friend (that we made while Cruising) chalked it up to SIZE and Experience. The ship size is so great that the waitstaff is flying around versus on the Magic and the Wonder where the size is more workable. The other experience issue I noted was the lack of experience the staff has had. Not that 3 years isn't a lot, but my veteran Disney Cruise friend said the seasoned crew of the Magic and Wonder have been doing those jobs so long, that they could do it in their sleep and again the ship size is such that the dining room is more manageable giving them more time to help you, make special time for your table. I heard stories, of kids food being cut by the server, the server anticipating every need, bringing out appetizers that the guest had ordered the first night, knowing that they loved this or that, games for the kids on and on. One friend told me, they'd yet to eat from the menu as they were getting off the menu food all cruise long. That just was not the case with our experience. Do not misunderstand, everyone was very polite and working very hard, but the experience for me was nothing more than you might get at a regular restaurant with a good staff and I had been set up by my veteran cruisers to be BLOWN AWAY! I will say, we loved our 'back waiter', Gloria. She was sweet and when we finally took some cues from our friends we asked for things like crayon tricks, and specials that didn't appear on the menu and lobster tails etc. Our friend who was eating in the later sitting, actually told his waitress that Table 65 needed a little TLC and even stopped by one night to check on us. By the end of the cruise we really did love Gloria, but I'm excited to see life on the Magic when we hopefully do Europe in 2016. Hopefully:)

Okay, so all that to say, while I didn't record or photo food, the food is very good and the restaurants are of course beautiful and spotless.

After dinner we went back to the room and changed and then forgot completely about that nights show. Ugh! Oh, the one thing we did like about dinner was Happy Hour was going on when we'd get back from dinner so we'd bookend our meal with cocktails. Jesse of course was ready to go when I walked in the door with a Makers and a Red Wine:) Yes, we love Jesse. So back to the story....The kids were ready to dive in to the Kid's Club so we got dressed 'down' and headed to deck 5. For me the Forward location on 12 was excellent. We popped down to five, hung a left, another left, a right, a left and straight on down the hall towards the club. Which brings me to elevators. Did I mention that the elevators were RARELY an issue. We really never waited except after Muster Drill and one night maybe after the Captain's reception? Our only other cruise experience was miserable with elevators taking forever (not Disney) and the ship always feeling 'muggy'. Not the case with Disney. Clean, efficient, awesome!

So we grabbed our happy hour cocktail, headed to the club (which expected to be filled with kids) to drop off the monkeys. Much to our surprise, it seemed very subdued. The first night they do drop off at the Lab and Pick Up at the Club or vice versa (I've slept since then), but then after first night it's pick up and drop off where ever you might think your kids would be. Speaking of 'where your kids might be', GPS on your kids...man, can you feel any more secure. "Zachary is playing here...", "Lauren is on the main floor..." they knew exactly where the kids were at all times via the gps on their armbands. A nice touch. So we dropped off, and with our wave phones in hand headed out to explore a bit. We went by Shutters (had no idea what that was, lol) and ran in to Maya who not only shoots pics but also works in the Shutters library. She pointed us in the right direction for finding photos (our photos...I was looking in the wrong bookcase, she could tell I was clueless), but we struck up a friendship with Maya and when they did photos we always seemed to find our way to her station. On our last night when the CD and the book came (we bought the whole package) she had added a few photos in our collection as well. She was very sweet.

We checked out the bars on deck 4. Again, I have to say, this is a Disney cruise, so maybe my expectations were 'low' on the 'party' mode, I mean I was not expecting a bunch of drunks and craziness in the bars because this is more a family cruise environment, and I really liked that anticipation I had for it to be adult, but nothing crazy. It was exactly that. We drank, visited, laughed and on New Year's danced but it was always at a fun, but controlled level. I stayed up late with some of the boys I met, and while I had my share of cocktails, it was pretty tame, but very fun.

So my wife and I would wander the ship and pop in for a drink and this first night we did that and ran in to a few friends at Skyline...you must go here. Get the Passport (a flat fee for 6 drinks and 2 free) and they keep your passport in the bar and you try drinks from around the world. Another check mark for good! Julian the bartender was awesome! The skylines are beautiful, the mood is very relaxed and again great people to visit with at the bar. We got the Text that Lauren wanted to be picked up so Julie took the bullet for the team and left me in the bar to visit while she picked her up. Zachary checked out too, but it wasn't too long before he decided the club was more fun than hanging with his mom and sister, so he headed back to the club and hung out until closing time when I picked him up. The cool thing about this was, he would go to the club, check himself in, and we'd get a text, Zachary has arrived at the club. Again, such a great system for letting you do your thing and not worry if the kids were okay.

Okay summary:
Happy Hour bookend
Don't forget there is a show the first night:)
Kids club is well staffed and totally in control
Order Everything and Anything at dinner (don't wait to be asked, ask for it all:)
Ask waiters to do crayon tricks for the kids
Engage your waitstaff (maybe slip a little extra cash on a night early in the experience) to raise the service level to the next level.
Enjoy the adult experience

Wow, I'm going to bed, but I'm realizing all the things I'm leaving out, like the photos in the lobby, and riding AD at night....I'll have more to share soon.

Thanks again for following along. I am enjoying rehashing our experience. As you can tell, we loved it.

Next up: Breakfast in the lounge and a Day at Sea!

We are in 12016, which I believe is pretty close to the entrance on the other side of the lounge? Any thoughts or comments on that stateroom? How is the location up there and ship movement? My expectations for service are pretty high from the conceirge team, especially based on what I am reading. Thanks for answering my questions!

The rooms are quiet; very quiet, like there's no one on the ship quiet. The location is great for grabbing food from Deck 11, Spa Treatments, the pool and of course the adult areas, but like I mentioned the elevators were rarely an issue for getting down to deck 5 for the kids club or meals on the lower decks. Of course, the lounge is right there and there's games, cartoons on most the time, and there always seemed to be snacks or sweets, great coffee. Being your first DCL experience, concierge will be nice because you don't have to worry about any of spending anytime at Port Adventures or Guest Services as Julie, Kemisha and Amanda will take care of everything literally. Anna and Elsa tickets, no problem: Princess Meet and Greet no problem, Rainforest Pass (which I would suggest at least 1 or 2 days). I did the week, but I only went 4 days and that was even tough because I just wanted to be out an about on the ship. Need to move an experience, cancel one, modifications is a walk in to the lounge and one of them is always there. I added a mixology at the last minute, and then when my wife couldn't go; I cancelled with no penalty. It was too easy. I didn't spend tons of time having them plan things for me and maybe I could have used their services more to my advantage, but for what we needed; I couldn't have been happier.

We did experience some rocking at the front of the ship, but we had heard there were rough waters on many of the cruises prior to ours as well. Only one night was it really noticeable, but it was pretty rocky. Honestly though, it rocked you to sleep. We didn't have anyone with motion sickness the whole cruise and no one took any medications or wore patches/sea bands, but that was us. Everyone is different.

Thanks for such a detailed reply! Definitely gives me more info to go on and so glad to hear about the coffee in the lounge!!! And the location sounds great!

Good Morning! It's our first full day on the ship and we are at sea. Initially we had spa treatments etc planned for the day, but the reality was there's plenty to do that doesn't cost anything extra, so we cancelled the few things we had planned and just enjoyed the ship. That was of course, when everyone FINALLY woke up.

So maybe day 1 was a lot with the first time on the ship and the exploring etc. I've never seen the crew sack out like they did the first 2 days of the cruise. With curtains drawn and very little noise to be heard and a smooth, gentle rocking it was around 10am before the room stirred. We had gone to bed watching 1 of well, ALL the Disney movies ever! The TV's in the rooms stream ON DEMAND Disney Movies, and I mean every Disney Movie you can imagine. At night as we'd wind down, we'd enjoy an old favorite while enjoying a midnight snack (gotta love room service 24/7).

So the first few days, were late nights and late mornings, which was good and bad. I wanted to be up and doing things and seeing things and experiencing things...I can sleep when I'm dead. Never the less, the crew needed rest and I needed breakfast. Now, I know you could go down to Cabanas and enjoy a full own smorgasbord, but close, quick and easy was right up my alley. So while they slept it off, I stopped in to the lounge for a cup of coffee and what became my ritual sweet cream cereal (that stuff is the GREATEST) and some fruit. Visit with the ladies of the lounge and catch up on a little work, just to make sure I didn't return to no business. The day before I had gotten the data package, the first 50MB is free but I knew I'd need more, I didn't realize how much more. ADVICE: If you need the data, get it, but limit yourself to getting emails. I made the mistake of accessing a file I have on my google drive not thinking of the size, and it sucked 1GB of data ($90) out, just like that. Yes, I never thought about my google drive again after that mistake.

A nice routine, if you're up before the kids and maybe your spouse...grab a little breakfast, or if you're a workout person (I looked at the equipment quite a bit, but never got on it:) grab a workout, then hit the rainforest, the warming chairs, and the saunas...really so relaxing. Another great thing here in Senses is the men's locker room, I can not speak of the women's. Had we planned a little better, I would have showered in the locker room (they've got razors and other toiletries there) and tons of room to spread out. While the bathroom setup in the rooms is actually really nice...it would have been much nicer to get ready down in the lounge and it's just down the stairs from our room.

So everyone finally wakes up and it's not too long before our time to meet Anna and Elsa in Animator's Palate. We had an 11:00 - 11:15am meet time and they are pretty strict about the times, so be there on time as this is obvious a prime commodity. It was nice. Lauren didn't have much to say, but for us, it was great because we know how much meeting A & E in MK is insane. I had secured a FP for this for the days following the cruise that we were in the parks, but really hoped we could meet them here and use that FP for something else. My plan was going as expected.

The meet and greet is nice, nothing outside of typical. They do have all the TV's set to Arendale / Frozen environment so it feels appropriately themed. We were in an out in 10 minutes or so, at the most.

We caught the very end of breakfast for the kids in Cabanas and then spent the day in the kids club, at the pool and watching the kids ride AD. We never had breakfast down in the restaurants, though I know that was an option as well.

ADVICE: Best thing I did was make Customized TERVIS Mugs that we used to get drinks from the fountain or from the lounge which allowed us to carry our favorite beverage around. Actually, I'd fill up with Diet Coke and then spike it with Maker's from my room and it was perfect. We used these at dinner time as well and maybe a little tacky for the table, it was a great way to save on cocktails at dinner.

Again, dinner came (quickly) upon us and we were off to Animators Palate for dinner with Crush. The 2nd night was Semi Formal Night so the boys wore blazers and the ladies were in dresses. Amanda alerted us to the secret of taking pictures on Semi Formal, Pirate and Formal Night...get there 15 minutes early, which we almost did the first night (still only had to wait a little) and on New Years we were on it and took a picture in almost every station. It was so great. Animators was fun but again, we've heard about the show on the Magic, so we'll be looking forward to our cruise and dinner at AP when we do that in 2016. We had requested to be by a screen...which actually was okay, but not the best location as the screen was positioned behind us so you either had to move your chair or crane your neck. Not a huge deal, but not awesome either. I apologize again, food was great, but I couldn't tell you what we ate. This was the night I felt like the dining experience was not what it had been built up to be. The next night and the ones that followed we amped our own energy and that effected out experience dramatically. We just started letting loose and if we wanted try something we fired at will and to their credit they responded.

After dinner it was the usual routine...change our clothes, say hi to Jesse in the lounge and grab our post dinner happy hour drinks and then tonight we actually made it to the show:) and got some great seats and saw Aladdin. It was exceptional. Really a great experience. Cool thing that Concierge has is Bags of Popcorn, as much as you like. So we carted our Tervis Mugs down to the theater with our Popcorn and enjoyed a first class show.

NOTE: You know there's always someone who doesn't think the rules apply to them. They ask you very politely and very frequently to move down and not save seats in the theater. Of course, we had one or two that felt like they were more important so they're holding seats. People are asking "is anyone sitting there" as they are holding almost a whole row. Finally a cast member comes over to help resolve, but this guest will not relinquish...10 minutes they did this. So rude. So please out of respect to others, have your entire party there or sit separately. I felt bad for the cast member because she was trying her best and she remained composed, but the guests that do this are simply inconsiderate and actually their actions delayed the starting of the show.

When the show started, it was awesome. I suggest if you have kids to sit in the lower level. The balcony is nice, but many of the shows streamers fly down on the lower level and the kids loved it.

After Aladdin, we hit the clubs (Kids and Skyline)...and I actually, through the helpful concierge added a last minute Whiskey tasting with some of the friends I made. Julie sat at the bar with a couple of the wives that were not tasting and I partook. I gotta, say...skip this tasting. It's not done very well, a little hard to hear and it was like a 'race' through the drinks. It was held in Meridian between Palo and Remy. Conversely, our mixology in both Skyline and LaPiazza were outstanding. So fun and so detailed.

The kids shut the clubs down again and we had our customary late night snack (I think we hit the luigis) for some pizza if I remember. Another great day, that flew by and one day I'll figure out my pictures and upload them...I've got a ton.

NEXT UP: PIRATE NIGHT! Oh what a fun day!!!

Last edited:
Love your report so far...one of these days we'll do a surprise one for the kids...

Question, though - you mentioned taking your own mugs to dinner for sodas to avoid the soda charge. I thought that sodas were included in the dinner price? o_O

Love your report so far...one of these days we'll do a surprise one for the kids...

Question, though - you mentioned taking your own mugs to dinner for sodas to avoid the soda charge. I thought that sodas were included in the dinner price? o_O

There isn't a soda charge in MDRs.

Well, I must say, it was our first cruise with Disney, and we may have had bad information before cruising, and we never bothered to ask. I do remember paying for a a beverage that was not alcoholic, and from that point on we made it a point to bring our cups; though maybe it was a special drink or cup? I'll look through my receipts and see if I can't figure it out (might be time to throw away some of this stuff, lol) I also should clarify that the main reason for the cups was the soda fountain on deck. The cups they offer are smaller and it worked nicely to fill up and have a strong lid etc. Also it should be noted, that Concierge you can have all the canned and bottled beverages you want in your stateroom or in the lounge. You get them in the lounge and they'll even load you up with whatever you want. A minor amenity, but one none the less.

Looking into why we thought there was a charge. I think we must have mixed the first and last note on this list below and confused ourselves:) Ha. Devil is in the details. Thanks for the correction.

This was from Mousesavers:

Beverages

You can get milk, juice, tea, coffee, lemonade and soft drinks free with meals in the dining rooms. (Bottled water, smoothies and alcoholic beverages are extra.)

The self-service drink station up by the family pool offers milk, juice, tea, coffee, lemonade and soft drinks for free at all times.

Castaway Cay offers milk, juice, tea, coffee, lemonade and soft drinks for free; alcoholic beverages are extra.

Room service offers milk, juice, tea or coffee free, but charges for soft drinks, alcoholic beverages and bottled water.

There is a charge for all drinks ordered at the bars, including soft drinks.

Okay, so I have been able to add a couple of photos that show a few items that I'd discussed:) I guess, my photos are formatted too large so I can upload a couple then I get an error. Man, I'm better it this, I know it...

IMG_0382.jpgSail Away Party from above on Deck 12.

IMG_0397.jpg Dinner at AP. This was a great table, but we as noted, we had to turn around to see the show. One table over, would have been perfect.

:yay:I am really enjoying your TR. We are going on the Fantasy in June!

Waiting for your next post!

Arr Matey, it be our second day at sea and the much awaited Pirates IN the Caribbean night alas was here. During the pre-trip planning I had thought of going full throttle for my wife and I, but when I thought of the logistics of costumes and then hearing of how less than 1/2 of the adults really dress up, I decided we'd take the eye patch and bandana and say Arr a lot and that would suffice. The kids however was a different story. We wanted them in full gear and to have a blast with it. As is the standard, the concern always falls to the more 'serious' boy who is just not wanting to embarrass himself. So once they found out they were going on Christmas morning, we pitched the idea of dressing like a pirate and having this cook experience. Surprisingly, there was little objection, though we did throw the hard sell on it as well.

Okay, so another crazy late night for the kids means, my morning of coffee, sweet cream cereal, a walk "BY" the exercise equipment:) and in to the Rainforest was on again! I bumped in to some friends there, enjoyed some cucumber water and some exhilarating albeit take your breath away rain showers and a circuit through the steam rooms. It's good to be the king:)

It was also my day for a massage. I'll spare you the details, but it was very relaxing. I think the only thing I don't like, is the sales pitch afterwards. I'm really there just to enjoy the massage and have no interest in hearing about any of the products, as I'm not the type that would use them and I get a massage about once every 4 years:) I listened, then darted. It was a great massage. I will say, the slippers are not comfortable in the spa. They are too small for a guy with a 14 sized foot, so bring your own if you have a larger foot. I met up with the crew who had slept in, and gottenrolling while I was down in the spa.

The big fun began around 2:45pm. With the kids going to the Pirate League for Pirate Makeovers (we probably didn't call my son's a 'makeover'...that wouldn't be manly enough:) It was great. It's held in Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique on Deck 5, Starboard. They transform the room so that it doesn't look to frilly for the PIRATES. We arrived and had reserved the Deluxe Maiden Package for Lauren, and the Deluxe Captain Package for Zachary. The package includes a full on Pirate or Maiden costume, make up, booty, nail polish (for Maidens), everything you can imagine to make them look as Piratey as possible. While we had reserved a specific size when we made the appointment, we were able to try on the costume to make sure it was a good fit, and adjust as needed before continuing to the make up phase and 'swearing' in. It was very simply fun for the kids and us as we watched them. The costumes are very nice and probably next Halloween's Costume, so we killed 2 birds with one stone. They received, the makeover, the costume, swords, booty, their 'Pirate Promise', and Lauren kept her makeup and nail polish which she got to select during the process. Zachary also got to select the style of makeup he wanted from a chart that showed different styles. The makeover with costume, $99 per child.

BEFORE:
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Lauren, chatting up a storm:)

The pirate promise that they make before they are 'official' is funny, the kids loved it. I'll add the video of the swearing in a separate post.

They also get an official Pirate Name, though I forget how they pick them. Lauren was Esmerelda Sunbain and Zachary was Johnny Dreadfoote

Johnny and Esmerelda AFTER:
ry%3D400

They plundered the Concierge Lounge next...
ry%3D400

Concierge - Amanda, wasn't too scared:)
ry%3D400

Concierge- Julia wasn't giving up treasure without a fight.
ry%3D400

We bumped in to some other scurvy pirates on the way to play in the kids club before dinner. The hair and hat were a bit much for Z to wear around, so he left those in the room . Julie and I had a mixology class this afternoon so we dropped the kids to play and headed over to Skyline for an awesome Mixology.
ry%3D400

Julian the bartender ran this private mixology class. It was great and much better than our whiskey tasting. We got to get behind the bar and actually make drinks. It was a blast culminated by Julian showing us his unusual talent of being able to balance a bottle or any other item on the bridge of his nose or forehead. It was fun. I had added an Italian tasting with some friends that fell right after the Mixology so while Julie picked up the kids, I had a few more in La Piazza...needless to say I skipped happy hour at the lounge, lol.
ry%3D400

some of our mixology classmates mixing it up
ry%3D400

Our dinner that night was in Enchanted Garden. Again, another great meal, but you get no information from me on the details:)

After dinner, we skipped the show, the kids wanted to hit the Kid's club again, so we did that and later caught the deck party with Mickey and then again with Jack Sparrow. Fireworks were not tonight as they held them for New Years, but it was still a good couple of shows to see. They followed that up with club Pirate on Deck 11 which we skipped for the kids club and skyline.

it doesn't sound like a full day, but it was. Really every day is a blur now, but we get a warm feeling every time we talk about it and can't wait to go back.

Love these pics.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Next Up...never been to St. Thomas (and I still haven't) and Remy, where are my kids?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter