"The Stormtrooper Killed My Cupcake!" - An August 2016 TR *5/12 x2!*

I love that you made Thank You notes - and of course I always love your Mouskeeping envelopes

Well, I guess the positive is that there are mass transit options but still annoying

Great selfie of the two of you

Guess for $60 the room was ok but I can see it feeling like your vacation didn't really start yet

Saw that title and immediately pictured kids running up and down the aisle, kicking your seatbacks and screaming.
Glad this appears to not be the case.

Nah, I just thought it was funny that she was like, yeah this flight is more children than adults. In reality it wasn't and the kids were mostly quite good. Then again, I think a lot of them went to sleep.

Because of Zika? or just in general?
The awareness of Zika did make us think about what bug bites could do to us in general. Spoiler alert: we forgot to put it on every single day.

Cute pic!
My girls are the cutest :)

I thought Marie was going with you?
:rotfl:

I knew it!!!
(Seriously, I quoted the previous sentence before I read that.)
I can't help but so some of that foreshadowing

Didn't want to spend the $40 or so for a cab, I presume?
I sure didn't mind taking one to/from the airport when it was on Ruby's company's dime.
Yeah, not about that extra cab fare. Especially not on the way there. If someone else was paying for it I'd go for it too.

That's a really pretty dress, Amber.
Thank you! It's actually a top and a skirt.

Huh. I was thinking of that... It's weird isn't it? Sometimes they do... sometimes they don't.
They used to stamp mine almost every time I went into Canada, but Marie's rarely gets stamped. Who knows why.

There was a Mythbusters episode where they tried several different ways to load the plane.
The fastest? No system at all, just a free-for-all.
Well I'd imagine that. Or I thought the loading the back first seemed to go quick as well.

Are you kidding???? "Thanks for helping us out... Now we're going to penalize you for it."
Pretty much. I wasn't impressed.

Not bad! I may have to take advantage of that next year.
Yeah we got it on Hotwire and because we're E-bates members I also made some cashback on it. On top of my credit card cash back. So just for the night it was a good financial move.

I totally get that. The vacation doesn't feel like it's really started yet, right?
It didn't. It felt more like we were still in the traveling phase. We weren't fully there yet.

Ugh that is my least favorite thing! It kept happening to me coming home from Disney in April on Jetblue.

I love that dress to the airport!

Ugh. It is the worst! And it happened like at the height of the action too!

Thanks! It's a skirt and a top and I got them at Wal-Mart for like $16 total or something. It was a good buy.

I love that you made Thank You notes - and of course I always love your Mouskeeping envelopes

Well, I guess the positive is that there are mass transit options but still annoying

Great selfie of the two of you

Guess for $60 the room was ok but I can see it feeling like your vacation didn't really start yet

Marie loves her projects. I was really happy with them too. Though no Mousekeeping envelopes this time. We just reused ones that had been left behind in years past.

Oh yeah, it's awesome that we can get places without having to take a cab. I just wish that the system was set up better so that people didn't have to go all the way downtown to get the transportation to the airport.

Thank you!

I mean, compared to Disney prices $60 Canadian was a steal. It just was very underwhelming to arrive to and lacked the Disney magic.

Spoiler alert: we forgot to put it on every single day.

:laughing: Not surprised at all.

Thank you! It's actually a top and a skirt.

Oh! But still nice.

Yeah we got it on Hotwire and because we're E-bates members I also made some cashback on it. On top of my credit card cash back. So just for the night it was a good financial move.

Not bad! I haven't used Hotwire or Priceline in a while.

It didn't. It felt more like we were still in the traveling phase. We weren't fully there yet.

I totally get that.

You're off to a great start! I mean any trip that arrives on time is off to a great start, no?

Glad they boarded like they did with that many kids on it. I"m sure it did go faster that way.

Sorry it wasn't as magical as it could have been, but there's plenty of time for the magic to happen. Great start!

:laughing: Not surprised at all.
It was just a hassle and we weren't getting bitten so, it all worked out.

Not bad! I haven't used Hotwire or Priceline in a while.
I wouldn't use it for a longer trip, but for just a night a good deal is all you need.

You're off to a great start! I mean any trip that arrives on time is off to a great start, no?

Glad they boarded like they did with that many kids on it. I"m sure it did go faster that way.

Sorry it wasn't as magical as it could have been, but there's plenty of time for the magic to happen. Great start!
I agree! Delays are rare though for us, which is good.

I think it went faster, but people sure weren't happy with that as I think many of them were counting on it.

The magic for sure is just beginning.

Oh yay! Love your reports! Following...
:thanks: And welcome! We're happy to have you here.

Hi! Following along...

:welcome: And thank for following along!

Sorry it took a little while to get this updated. The nursing program is no joke - between labs, tests and reading assignments I feel like I spend all my time doing school stuff. Hopefully though, I'll find a good rhythm to keep up with this TR.

And now, onward.

Day 2, Part 1: "You folks headed home?"

Marie and I set our alarm for 5:30 the next morning because, as you'll know if you've ever followed a TR by us before, we are quick to get ready in the morning.

However, at 4:30 AM (points to pkondz for being on the nose) I was awake. I mean, wide awake with that 'I'm going to Disney World' excitement that can't be tamed. I tried to tame it though guys. I tried to let Marie have her sleep. However, at around 5:15 I woke her up with all my wiggling around in bed because I couldn't contain my happiness that we were finally going to be back at Disney.

So, she got up, I did my make-up and we gathered all of our things up.

Usually such an early wake up call would have us all cranky, but we looked more like this:

001_zps2kxrbnsq.jpg

Disney day euphoria.

We headed out and although I'd put sunglasses on, I immediately realized that it was still dark out. It was still dark out and I didn't care cause we were going to Disney!

So, dragged our suitcases downstairs (the downside of an upstairs room) and made our way to the lobby. They had breakfast already serving and Marie went to look at the offerings. There were juices, some fruits, cereal, some eggs and some bagels. She didn't feel like eating anything, but she did have a glass of juice.

Once she was finished we headed outside where we got back into the shuttle with another couple. They asked if we were headed home and we wer elike, uh, no we're going to Disney! That's why we're in such a great mood.

Still, the driver asked what airline and we told him Air Canada, since that's what we fly and we know it to be on the B side. Of course, it meant that we ended up way on the other end of the building from where DME actually is but we were in full spirits.

Soon enough we were seeing this beautiful sight.
002_zpsaairlqbd.jpg

There was one couple a head of us, but otherwise the place was empty because it was still so extremely early. I'm talking before 6:30 early.

003_zpsjewnmsra.jpg

We were then lead to the only line that was taking people and got onto the bus that held a handful of others, including the couple who'd been getting on before us. But guess what seats were open?

004_zpsetbrz1wq.jpg

That's right, we got a front row view.

005_zpsvpj9ezzx.jpg

Our bus driver got in and told us that without traffic we'd probably be making it to Disney property in around 30 minutes. He didn't tell us where we were going, but since he was the only bus leaving Marie and I assumed it'd be a mystery ride. Who knew where we'd end up!

We speculated about this on the ride over and watched the new MDE movie that neither of us are too fond of, but with how quick we made it we didn't even finish the whole thing.

And that's okay because we were busy seeing this beautiful sight.

006_zpsiqahz2oa.jpg

Our first stop was...

007_zpsi76ppl3g.jpg

Yup, this blurry resort sign was our stop. So we never got to find out what was going on with the mystery bus ride.

To be fair, I think almost everyone but one couple got off, so I guess they were the ones who got the real adventure.

Nevertheless, we headed inside to the lobby. We were taken aback by how large it is. That was literally our first impression, just the size of it. We're used to the French Quarter and the All Stars, which have lobbies that are not so sweeping. But, Pop is the resort with the most rooms on property so a large lobby makes sense.

We went to check in for our night here and found that our room was ready. It was still so early, not even 7:30 yet so we were surprised.

And then we heard our room was in the 90s and it made sense. We hadn't really wanted the 90s but for only one night it was no big deal.

Map in hand, we headed to find our room. The way from the lobby path was a little winding, but we managed to make it to building 8 and then up to room 8234.

008_zpsc7woqy2a.jpg

Here I am being thrilled to arrive.

009_zpspbhgc3ik.jpg

The 90s poster did hold a lot of nostalgia for us. I was born in 93 and Marie in 89, so this was our childhood.

So what were our impressions of the room?

It was fine. A value room. The shower curtain was hella boring though. I prefer the All Star curtains.

Since we got to Disney way sooner than we'd anticipated and our park of the day wasn't going to be opening until 9, we decided that we might as well go and get some breakfast.

However, with only one night there and the close proximity to AoA - which we've been wanting to see - we decided to take the walk over that way so I could get a look at the Cars section.

So, enjoy the following pictures that show our walk over.

010_zpsdlezskyr.jpg

Here's our view from outside our room.

011_zpsrgyfiprc.jpg

012_zpskdex7cir.jpg

The pool and laundry building were out front of our building.

013_zpszkx3xvye.jpg

I was jealous of this Rubik's Cube staircase (though I'll never look at one the same way again after seeing Snowden)

014_zpspivfv1er.jpg

Ahh the old days of computers.

015_zpscoxjdxnm.jpg

And walkmen.

016_zpseeozigi4.jpg

I stopped for a picture with the Potatoheads but Marie wasn't interested.

017_zpsaltremgw.jpg

We noted the new signs on our way over to the bridge that connects AoA with Pop.

Later we found out that we probably would have had a faster walk just around the trail instead of going all the way to the bridge, but we weren't sure if it connected all the way around the lake or not. The joggers that we passed seemed to confirm that it did but it was too late then.

On a side note, there were so many joggers just jogging around and I admire and fear them. It's Florida. It's August. Sure, it was only around 8 AM but umm.. it was still really hot? Also, it's not like Disney is a vacation where you'll be missing steps.

Anyway, good on them for the dedication and back on topic.

018_zpsgvjqb83c.jpg

We were starting to catch sight of AoA.

019_zpsmdjnrrmf.jpg

Although Pop was still on our other side.

020_zpstrqmrwab.jpg

Stopping for this very important event.

021_zps0yminqqy.jpg

Cars buildings are in sight.

022_zpsb1qamgsy.jpg

And Little Mermaid on the other side.

023_zpsdvvbjnvi.jpg

We snapped this picture of the Finding Nemo section on our way over to the main event.

024_zpskdkzchea.jpg

It was becoming reality and I was literally so giddy.

025_zpslte9owqq.jpg

I mean, look at that concept work.

Scroll for next post

Day 2, Part 2: "Punch me, Marie. Punch me in the face."
I'm going to level with you guys, this update is going to be 90% the Cars section of AoA, so if you want to skip it I won't be offended.

If you're sticking around, you're going to hear me gushing.

026_zpsyhxxlngm.jpg

I mean...

027_zpszjejbhvs.jpg

These buildings..

028_zpstsrhv9ua.jpg

The signs...

029_zpsmcoa4rb6.jpg

The Cozy Cones!

I quoted Luigi a lot while I was seeing this.

"I must scream it to the world, my excitement, from the top of someplace very high!"

And then, it got better because I got to take pictures with the Cars!!

030_zpshxrr3k5s.jpg

Here I am relaxing with Filmore.

031_zpse1iijnhb.jpg

Here's me awkwardly realizing that I'm probably interrupting a moment between Lightning and Sally.

032_zpsmydmpacb.jpg

Look at this incredible themeing!

033_zps0ja8vzu2.jpg

I even did pushups for Sarge!

034_zpsou5evafq.jpg

I listened to some of Mater's stories about the Ghost Light.

035_zpsqk9urfho.jpg

The full detailing on these Cars had me geeking out.

Marie was just the camera person, allowing me to fan girl as much as I wanted. I love that woman.

036_zps5uu6mxwy.jpg

Look at the cute walkways.

038_zps6pb9oihn.jpg

And this laundry building is killing it.

037_zpseuwyruyk.jpg

Chilling with Ramone.

039_zpsigqh0uxd.jpg

Girl talk with Flo.

040_zpsmwsgri2d.jpg

The famous leaning tower of tires!

041_zpsoayycl1f.jpg

Lugi and Guido were cool even though I wasn't buying anything.

042_zpsfvjdtp29.jpg

All the little toys in the front window were adorable.

043_zpsybgmk9hf.jpg

The fabulous Hudson Hornet!

044_zpsbh8qzqfd.jpg

I may have gotten off on the wrong foot with the Sheriff.

045_zpsbgu1jjsa.jpg

Worry not though, Radiator Springs is a happy place.

With our time there spent, we started heading up to get some food, now sufficiently hungry.

Though we did snap a few more pictures.

046_zpscceeu6ri.jpg

Like of these seagulls.

047_zpssat7txts.jpg

And Animation Hall cause it was really cool looking.

048_zpsxht9xrsx.jpg

I'm a sucker for movie names.

049_zpszzcc1irg.jpg

We even leaned over the fence a little to get a picture of the Big Blue Pool.

050_zpsah2nikji.jpg

But finally, we'd reached our destination.

In the next update we'll get to our first park, so if you wanted to guess what it'd be.. this is your last chance.

Click for next post

Last edited:
So glad you started another report. I love Art of Animation. One day maybe we'll be lucky enough to stay there. I think my boys would love the Cars theming.
I'll guess Magic Kingdom as your first park!

I've never been to AoA so I loved looking at these pictures! Ugh, I just love Doc Hudson so much <3

That's cool that you got to your resort so early and the room was ready. The nostalgia factor is definitely strong with the artwork in your room

We went for a tour of AoA one day and my kids insisted on a picture with every single Cars car .... every. single. one. Love the theming of the resort!

AOA looks awesome. We're staying at Pop but planning to walk over & look around. Can't wait.

What Table Service Restaurants are we eating at?
Mamma Melrose, Teppan Edo, Whispering Canyon Café
(QS) Be Our Guest, Sunshine Season, Landscape of Flavour,

2. What will be our First Park?
Magic Kingdom

3. Which Character will we wait for the LONGEST?
Inside Out

Which Ride will be wait for the LONGEST?
Soarin

How many times will we visit Each Park?
MK 4, Epcot 4, AK 1, HS 2

How many Resorts will we visit?
4 - AoA, Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, and Port Orleans French Quarter

What will be our First Park Ride of the trip?
Winnie the Pooh

What Character will we meet First?
Mickey

Name FIVE Snacks we will have
Mickey bar, Dole whip, rice krispie squares, cupcakes, those ice cream martinis
Marie will get some macaroons

How many Pins will we Trade, in Total? (+/- 10)

What Ride will we do the Most?
Splash Mnt

How many times will we (read: Amber) need a Cardigan/Coat?
countless (lol)

How many times will we take a Resort Break?

How many times will we take out our Ponchos?
Once then you will forget them

How many different Modes of Transportation are we gonna use?
3 (4 if walking is one)

Joining in. :wave: Score one for getting on Disney property so early in the morning and the room being ready. It looks like today is going to be a great day.

Last edited:
I"m so glad I get a day off of work to just sit for hours and catch up around this place! I've missed a ton of good updates!

You MADE IT!! You 2 look so happy and ready for your adventure. I'm hoping we get the front seats as well, but at 11:00, I'm kinda doubting it. Funny about the mystery trip...hmmmm?

I adored your photos from AoA! It gets me so stinkin' excited for our stay there! You had so many good ones, I won't comment on each one, but I just think the whole Cars area is just peachy. We're staying in Mermaid, but now I'm kinda wishing I'd done Cars.

As for POP, the 90s wouldn't be my first pick either, but like you say, for one night, it's ok. :)

Looking forward to more!

So glad you started another report. I love Art of Animation. One day maybe we'll be lucky enough to stay there. I think my boys would love the Cars theming.
I'll guess Magic Kingdom as your first park!

Thanks you! So glad you're here to follow along :)

I love the looks of Art of Animation but the price isn't my cup of tea. However, the theming is beautiful and I'm sure your boys would love it if they are Cars fans.

Noted :)

I've never been to AoA so I loved looking at these pictures! Ugh, I just love Doc Hudson so much <3

We knew we had to get over there to look around and I was blown away. Someday we'll go back to look at the other sections.

Yay Doc!

That's cool that you got to your resort so early and the room was ready. The nostalgia factor is definitely strong with the artwork in your room

We went for a tour of AoA one day and my kids insisted on a picture with every single Cars car .... every. single. one. Love the theming of the resort!

I was surprised that our room was ready but definitely happy. And yeah, it was like being hit by my childhood all over again.

I'd get along with your kids :P I understand the impulse. I mean, I did it all and I had to wait sometimes for people to leave but I have zero regrets.

It is beautifully themed though, for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter