(CLOSED) The Smoking DSA's @ Resorts Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I HOPE we never have to stay there again either. :rotfl: It was the only place available for our last minute spring break trip. Since I'm the only smoker in the family I couldn't put up much of an argument! :rotfl: I've just never been a huge fan of AK and/or AKL. Don't "flame" me; just not my style. I'm more "into" the Poly and BLT but "beggars can't be choosers"! :lmao: I WAS at Disney World! :cool1:

I LOVE Poly too & we'll be at BLT soon. Can't wait:cool1:

I LOVE Poly too & we'll be at BLT soon. Can't wait:cool1:

I am SO JEALOUS! I did NOT think I'd like BLT (tagged along with DD for that stay too! :lmao:) but I loved it! We had Bay Lake view, 10th floor, and the view was awesome. You didn't ask but here are the two DSA's at BLT:

At front door:

IMG_5310.jpg

Located in what I call "the backyard" :rotfl::

IMG_5309.jpg

Enjoy your stay........:tink:

My son is at Pop right now and he says the smoking area is gone outside the main building. The benches are removed and big No Smoking sign. Also around the lake he thinks as he see no more benches or signs. Anyone know what smoking areas are gone and which ones remain?

I have always wanted to stay at AKL but my daughter smokes and I know there are only 2 smoking areas. So do you think this would be a bad idea ? What if we request to be near the smoking area ? Does anyone think that would work out ? Any advice on this would be great.

My advice as a smoker is that you tell your daughter pretty much what you said here: "I've wanted to stay at this resort for years. They only have two designated smoking areas, so for the brief time we're on vacation you're going to have to respect the rules (in the parks, too). I'm requesting a convenient room, but there are no guarantees. You may have a long walk to smoke".

We're DVC owners at AKL, I smoke, and we always stay at Jambo House. It's a little inconvenient since there are only 2 DSAs, but I don't mind since I love the resort. The DSA behind the pool and by the hot tub is very nice, and I enjoy sitting there talking to other smokers while DH enjoys the pool or hot tub. The DSA in front of the resort can by very hot and sunny in the late afternoon, and in the evening they turn on the water sprinklers, which can be unpleasant for a few minutes. It's nice to stop by in the evening since it's off to the side of the walkway to and from the buses.

We're DVC owners at AKL, I smoke, and we always stay at Jambo House. It's a little inconvenient since there are only 2 DSAs, but I don't mind since I love the resort. The DSA behind the pool and by the hot tub is very nice, and I enjoy sitting there talking to other smokers while DH enjoys the pool or hot tub. The DSA in front of the resort can by very hot and sunny in the late afternoon, and in the evening they turn on the water sprinklers, which can be unpleasant for a few minutes. It's nice to stop by in the evening since it's off to the side of the walkway to and from the buses.

Is the Jamba House near the pool DSA or is that only for DVC ?

Is the Jamba House near the pool DSA or is that only for DVC ?

AKL has 2 sections. Kidani is completely DVC villas. Jambo House has both DVC villas and regular rooms all in the same building, just on different floors. If you request a pool view, you will be on the side of the resort near the pool and smoking area.

AKL has 2 sections. Kidani is completely DVC villas. Jambo House has both DVC villas and regular rooms all in the same building, just on different floors. If you request a pool view, you will be on the side of the resort near the pool and smoking area.

Ok thanks would pool view 1st floor be DVC villas or where are the regular rooms located in the pool view rooms ?

DVC villas are on the 5th floor and concierge level on the 6th floor. The other floors are regular hotel rooms.

So do you think I could request pool view near the DSA and get near the smoking area that way ?

we just returned from coronado springs and it is the most smoker friendly resort ever! (how ironic, since we quit smoking over a year ago:upsidedow)
maybe because it is a convention resort. smokers should request casitas, there are ashtrays every once in a while on the walkways on the upper floors.

there are ashtrays all around the outdoor laguna bar.

I have booked Martinique 25 preferred and I have been reading about smoking court yards at CBR on some of the post . I requested building 25 first floor near the smoking area. What is the smoking area like there is it a court yard ? Is it far from OPR ? I see it on the map but it is hard to tell the distance by looking at the map.

We're DVC owners at AKL, I smoke, and we always stay at Jambo House. It's a little inconvenient since there are only 2 DSAs, but I don't mind since I love the resort.

I thought there were 3 DSA at AKL ?

I think there may have been a 3rd DSA and maybe even more when the resort first opened, but there have been only 2 for the 5 years or longer that we've been staying there. They want to keep smoking away from the animals, and this restricts where DSAs can be located. As I posted earlier, I am a smoker, but I think you are worrying too much about finding a DSA at AKL. It's really not that difficult to walk from your room to a DSA.

I think there may have been a 3rd DSA and maybe even more when the resort first opened, but there have been only 2 for the 5 years or longer that we've been staying there. They want to keep smoking away from the animals, and this restricts where DSAs can be located. As I posted earlier, I am a smoker, but I think you are worrying too much about finding a DSA at AKL. It's really not that difficult to walk from your room to a DSA.

Ok thank you, some of the posts I have read say they will never stay there again because it was such a hike to smoke. My daughter who chain smokes gets really on edge if she cant smoke and I want everything to go smoothly.

Mary, I hate to burst your bubble but, in MY opinion, it IS a long hike to the DSA at AKL.
there is one behind the pool and one in front of the lobby. It wouldn't be too bad if you are on a lower floor, or near an elevator. but the hallways are VERY l o n g! you could have a long hike to an elevator, and then again a bit of a walk outside .
now this might not be a big deal to some smokers (it wasn't to me, I didn't smoke that much before we quit) but hubby, like your daughter, was a chain smoker and he didn't like it.

of course this is a problem at other deluxe resorts, too. boardwalk has long hallways and long walks to the elevator. beach club villas wasn't so bad, there was a dsa right by the villas quiet pool. the moderates are the best. CBR has DSAs in lots of courtyards. CSR is pretty smoker friendly.
I am happy now that we quit, and this isn't an issue for us anymore, but I just don't want you going in without the info you want (which is what this thread is for!:grouphug:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter