The Silly and Mischievous Canucks do Christmas - Dec 2015 PTR - Update 12/13

No, won't break the bank, just something extra I hadn't planned on. I think what I will do is start paying the hotel off now in small installments so I don't notice the extra due to the exchange rate as much as I would if I paid for it all on arrival day. Try and "trick the mind". :laughing:

Now that is FUZZY Disney Math at it's finest !!!

Be Our Guest

Apparently Be Our Guest is the new Cinderella's Royal Table! I can't believe how crazy competitive it is to get a reservation here, not just for dinner but for the quick service meals as well! I snagged an early lunch ADR for Be Our Guest back on my ADR day but then I got a frantic email from my mom while I was at work today saying "BOG breakfast open! Go!". Well, I panicked and ran into the back room and pulled out my phone and checked the MDE app and got a breakfast at BOG for 8:35. Until my mom sent me that panicked email I had not even thought about trying to get a breakfast reservation but knowing that I had to jump and reserve right away if I thought we even slightly might want to do it pushed me into action. How ridiculous is that? That I had to interrupt my work day to make a panicked dining reservation? :laughing: Now that I have reviewed the menu I'm not even sure I want to keep it. $20 for quick service breakfast? If we did breakfast we wouldn't do the lunch ADR there as they are too close together (8:35 and 10:45).

What do you all think about the BOG ADR fuss? Is the food worth it or is it just all hype because of the fun dining location? What would you do, breakfast or lunch?

I booked two and I may not go. I have a 9:55 and a 8:15 for Dec 6th just in case the park doesn't open at 8:00. It's now $22 plus tax and since I'm paying out of pocket I don't know if I can justify the cost. There are some special effects and it's really large and grade, but $22 plus tax for a donut is hard to swallow.

What do you all think about the BOG ADR fuss? Is the food worth it or is it just all hype because of the fun dining location?
I think it's worth doing at least once. I did dinner in Sept last year, and was really happy I did, but I wasn't planning on rushing back this year.

Well, then when my aunt and uncle decided to join me on my upcoming December trip, she specifically asked to do dinner at BoG... so I shrugged and decided it wouldn't kill me to go back, and I snagged us an ADR.

And then when my quick trip this past April came up, I did end up doing a BoG lunch ADR, just because I was curious about differences in the two meal services there.

So that's going to be three trips in 15 months, and a BoG visit each time... I'm 100% DONE after December. No more BoG for me for a while!

Anyhow, I digress... It's good, and worth checking out if you never have. Do I think it's necessarily "worth the hype," though? Probably not.

I love dinner there (have eaten dinner five times and had great food and very good service for the most part). We ate lunch for the first time last month. I was NOT impressed at all. My soup was luke warm, my sandwich was cold (and it was a grilled cheese!) and the fries were nothing to write home about. I have no interest in breakfast...way too much money for things I wouldn't even eat most of.

Minnie's Holiday Dine at Hollywood and Vine

I haven't posted about this meal yet on this PTR as it only came to my attention last week on another PTR. It sparked my interest so I looked into it. A character meal at Hollywood and Vine featuring Minnie, Mickey, Donald and Daisy in their holiday finery and Santa Goofy as well. The restaurant is supposed to have holiday decor and holiday music and hopefully a holiday themed menu. I'm all about the holiday characters and we have never eaten at Hollywood and Vine so I thought it would be a great fit for our trip which is all about the holiday events and doing new things.

santa-goofy.jpg

Booking wasn't open at the time I found out about the dinner so I started following the thread on the Dining board which was devoted to obsessing about landing an ADR for this meal. It was a new level of ADR crazy that I have never seen before. People were calling Disney every day, multiple times a day trying to find out if it was available for booking yet. That is a level of dedication to a Disney meal that I have yet to rise to. Two days ago it seemed to be confirmed that booking would become available this morning (Aug 6th). People started going even more nuts over this ADR than before. I wanted the meal so I decided that I would wake up for 6am and try my luck but no way was I going to stay up all night refreshing every few minutes to see if it was released early as some others were doing.

Well, turns out my allergies were really bugging me last night so I had a hard time sleeping and ended up being up all night anyways. 6am rolled around and the only listing on the Disney website was for the Fantasmic seating for this dinner and booking still hadn't opened. People on the dining thread were losing their minds. :laughing: By 6:20 it still wasn't available for booking and I was exhausted and my allergy meds had decided to kick in, I was going to bed and would risk missing out on the ADR. At 6:40 my mother notified me that booking was now open for the Fantasmic seating for this meal so I dragged myself back out of bed and stumbled over to my computer and landed the ADR. I really wasn't interested in the Fantasmic seating but I did want the Holiday dinner and it was reportedly only a few dollars more for the fantasmic seating. I booked the dinner for 4:15 on our DHS day and then decided to grab a 4:30 on our arrival day as well, just to cover my bases.

Reservations made I finally got to go to sleep. Not a problem if I sleep all day as I have to work a night shift tonight. I woke up at 2pm and checked the boards again and Disney website to see if the dinner only booking was available yet. On the Disney website it was still only showing the Fantasmic seating for this dinner. However, people were saying they were able to call Disney and book the meal without the fantasmic seating. People were also reporting that they could book the meal without Fantasmic on the MDE app. So I checked the app out and Hollywood and Vine was now allowing dinner only reservations but it did not say "Minnie's Holiday Dine". Soo, I decided to make these dinner only reservations as well assuming that even though it just said "Hollywood and Vine" that it really was Minnie's dinner.

So long story short, I now have four reservations for this meal on two different days.

1) Arrival Day: 4:30 Fantasmic Seating
2) Arrival Day: 7:00 Dinner Only

3)DHS Day: 4:15 Fantasmic seating
4)DHS Day: 7:15 Dinner Only

I am sure that this makes me look greedy but until I talk to my brothers I don't know if they will want the Fantasmic seating or which day they would rather do the meal. So three of these reservations will eventually be released but need to talk to the family first. I also don't want to make a final decision on which one to keep until it is confirmed that the dinner only reservations that are simply labeled "Hollywood and vine" really are Minnie's Holiday Dine.

Did anybody else manage to land this ADR and witness all the obsessive behaviours these last days and weeks?

I'm surprised they let you make two on the same day. There must be a 2-hour window that you must meet before you can make a second one (I often have to cancel an ADR before I can make a new one if the time is too close).

I'm surprised they let you make two on the same day. There must be a 2-hour window that you must meet before you can make a second one (I often have to cancel an ADR before I can make a new one if the time is too close).

Yes, there must be a window as I also have had to cancel certain reservations before booking a new one.

Lessa we ate at BOG twice last trip, lunch and dinner. We really enjoyed it and it's Ellie's first choice for next year. However if you're not on the DDP the QS options are pretty expensive, especially the breakfast!

Lessa we ate at BOG twice last trip, lunch and dinner. We really enjoyed it and it's Ellie's first choice for next year. However if you're not on the DDP the QS options are pretty expensive, especially the breakfast!

Thanks Jo.

Not on the dining plan but I think we will keep the lunch and cancel the breakfast. The lunch prices don't look like they are too much more than other QS and we will save money by eating dinner off property and getting breakfast foods and the grocery store.

Be Our Guest

Apparently Be Our Guest is the new Cinderella's Royal Table! I can't believe how crazy competitive it is to get a reservation here, not just for dinner but for the quick service meals as well! I snagged an early lunch ADR for Be Our Guest back on my ADR day but then I got a frantic email from my mom while I was at work today saying "BOG breakfast open! Go!". Well, I panicked and ran into the back room and pulled out my phone and checked the MDE app and got a breakfast at BOG for 8:35. Until my mom sent me that panicked email I had not even thought about trying to get a breakfast reservation but knowing that I had to jump and reserve right away if I thought we even slightly might want to do it pushed me into action. How ridiculous is that? That I had to interrupt my work day to make a panicked dining reservation? :laughing: Now that I have reviewed the menu I'm not even sure I want to keep it. $20 for quick service breakfast? If we did breakfast we wouldn't do the lunch ADR there as they are too close together (8:35 and 10:45).

What do you all think about the BOG ADR fuss? Is the food worth it or is it just all hype because of the fun dining location? What would you do, breakfast or lunch?
If supper is not an option as at that you get to meet The Beast, I would go with lunch !!

I have only eaten lunch there but we really liked both the food and the decor. I have no idea if the breakfast food is worth the price...but to get in the park early...if you can get that I'd do it.

I'm all about the holiday characters and we have never eaten at Hollywood and Vine so I thought it would be a great fit for our trip which is all about the holiday events and doing new things.

That sounds really awesome. I can't believe the "ADR level of crazy" as you called it though!! Nuts!! but it does sound like a really fun event. I personally don't like eating at 4pm but...I guess you could stretch it out and it may actually be later by the time you are actually eating....and might be nice to have Fantasmic...I can't decide either about Fantasmic on our DHS day either. I want to see it but ...I think we may have had enough of DHS by afternoon and may want to go back to the hotel....

If supper is not an option as at that you get to meet The Beast, I would go with lunch !!

I'm going to keep trying for dinner but I suspect we are out of luck there. Meeting Beast would be fun but we have met him in Epcot in the past so not a deal breaker for us if we don't get to see him.

I have only eaten lunch there but we really liked both the food and the decor. I have no idea if the breakfast food is worth the price...but to get in the park early...if you can get that I'd do it.

I think I will hold onto the ADR for now as right now it would be early entry to the park but if park hours get extended then I will cancel the breakfast.

sounds really awesome. I can't believe the "ADR level of crazy" as you called it though!! Nuts!! but it does sound like a really fun event. I personally don't like eating at 4pm but...I guess you could stretch it out and it may actually be later by the time you are actually eating....and might be nice to have Fantasmic...I can't decide either about Fantasmic on our DHS day either. I want to see it but ...I think we may have had enough of DHS by afternoon and may want to go back to the hotel....

If we do the early 4pm reservation the nice part will be that we will be the first people in and therefore the first people at the buffet, less people will have picked over it and touched and sneezed and coughed etc etc. :laughing:

Christmas at the Magic Kingdom

Now that I have my ADR's confirmed, hotel booked, and park days planned I can turn my attention to the smaller details such as finding out all the Christmas activities and attractions that are offered, big and small. I'm starting off with the Magic Kingdom.

In general I am looking forward to seeing the Magic Kingdom decorated for Christmas, especially the Castle all lit up. When we went to WDW in 1997 for Christmas the castle was decorated to look like a Pepto bismal Birthday cake, not so Christmasy or magical.

CakeCastle.jpg

At the Magic Kingdom the obvious Christmas activity is Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. I've already purchased tickets for the party and know in general what is offered during the party hours such as the Christmas parade, fireworks, and the castle lighting. There is also the Tomorrowland Christmas Show and Celebrate the Season at the castle. Of course there are all the characters as well and it will be fun to see who is out.

We will have to go on the Jungle Cruise as it offers a holiday overlay and becomes "The Jingle Cruise". It should be fun to see how they make this ride Christmas themed.

I would also love to see the Dapper Dans. i have never been fortunate enough to see them in the past and I think it will be great to see them in their holiday outfits singing Christmas songs.

Are there any other holiday details at the Magic Kingdom that we should check out?

While I am keeping it in mind I don't want to compromise too much on the vacation! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for things to improve over the next few months!
Hopefully things will improve with the exchange rate. Compromising on vacation plans, although we all do it at times, just sucks! :(

I hope that the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration will still be on in December.
I hope so too! This is a lot of fun! :thumbsup2

Now that is FUZZY Disney Math at it's finest !!!
This is from someone who is an expert on FUZZY! :rotfl:

Until my mom sent me that panicked email I had not even thought about trying to get a breakfast reservation but knowing that I had to jump and reserve right away if I thought we even slightly might want to do it pushed me into action. How ridiculous is that? That I had to interrupt my work day to make a panicked dining reservation? :laughing:
Yes, who would ever do THAT??? :rolleyes1

Not the greatest deal, but it is worth it to do once for the hype..........and you can limit the cost with a little thought about your order. :goodvibes

A character meal at Hollywood and Vine featuring Minnie, Mickey, Donald and Daisy in their holiday finery and Santa Goofy as well. The restaurant is supposed to have holiday decor and holiday music and hopefully a holiday themed menu. I'm all about the holiday characters and we have never eaten at Hollywood and Vine so I thought it would be a great fit for our trip which is all about the holiday events and doing new things.
And just WHY did I NOT know about this............. :mad:

When we went to WDW in 1997 for Christmas the castle was decorated to look like a Pepto bismal Birthday cake, not so Christmasy or magical.
That is just WRONG! :sad2:

We will have to go on the Jungle Cruise as it offers a holiday overlay and becomes "The Jingle Cruise". It should be fun to see how they make this ride Christmas themed.
It is an overlay, and always worth it to experience something new at Disney............but don't get too hyped up expecting a big Christmas themed change............... :rolleyes:

The whole ADR thing with the new systems that are in place since I"ve been absolutely confusticates me. I wished I knew better how it all works; the part about how to make them in the first place, let alone the little nuiances that savvy travelers know. But I'm glad you seem to have it figured out, Lessa and got several that you wanted. :)

I think that would be really fun to see. I love the JC on any old day but it would be extra special during the holidays.

And just WHY did I NOT know about this............. :mad:

I barely even found out about it in time. I must be slacking on my Dising/vacation planning.

It is an overlay, and always worth it to experience something new at Disney............but don't get too hyped up expecting a big Christmas themed change............... :rolleyes:

No, I'm not overly excited for it but even just a small change would be fun.

The whole ADR thing with the new systems that are in place since I"ve been absolutely confusticates me. I wished I knew better how it all works; the part about how to make them in the first place, let alone the little nuiances that savvy travelers know. But I'm glad you seem to have it figured out, Lessa and got several that you wanted. :)

Yep, this was a new learning experience for me as well. It is great for those of us in Canada though as we no longer have to pay long distance rates to call and make the reservations.

Oooooh, the Dapper Dans were one of my favorite things there in November - great entertainers. The castle was definitely not so gaudy, but there is a very cute Christmassy Celebrate The Magic overlay. Sigh, I need to learn to teleport!

I can't wait to see the Christmas lights on the castle. I'm sure it will be beautiful!

I think that would be really fun to see. I love the JC on any old day but it would be extra special during the holidays.

Yep, making anythin Christmas themed automatically makes it more fun! I'm sure it is a nice change for the skippers too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter