The second highest leading cause of death in 25 - 34 year olds: Suicide

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by FlightlessDuck, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Family Fun Mom

Family Fun Mom <font color=green>No longer tagless... my wit has

Medication plays a role, too. Everyone I knew who attempted or committed suicide was already on medications of some sort. Everyone is on something these days, including children. I'm not talking about substance abuse, either. I'm talking about antidepressants and other drugs, prescribed by a doctor. Doctors hand them out like it's nothing and almost all of them come with depression and suicide warnings. Read your labels! Be careful of what you take and what you give to your kids. Even my daughter's asthma medicine comes with such warnings. Sometimes, they hurt more than help.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Robbi

Robbi DIS Veteran

In my opinion, antidepressants should only be prescribed by psychiatrists. People wouldn't take diabetes meds prescribed by their dermatologist but darned if they won't take something for depression or anxiety a derm would recommend. These medications can cause all sorts of personality changes and should be monitored closely. Not to mention a lot of them take several weeks to work and people could still be struggling. I also think they should not be prescribed for anyone who is not also in therapy.